Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have objectively incorrect opinions about this cool and good game

I fixed it for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Why in the hell would you ever want to remove the ship designer?

Wiz, if you ever feel the need to mess with the designer, do the opposite. Go apeshit. Turn this into SoTS. Do not listen to these bads.

Planetary combat is pretty lame though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

GotLag posted:

I haven't even played a game yet and I've already made a lovely mod: Homeworld emblem pack.

Gotta have me my Hiigarans.

This is a good mod.

RabidWeasel posted:

:psyduck: but it's literally just a simple optimisation problem you totally ignore except when you unlock new tech. As someone else said planetary tiles are similar but I feel like that has more potential to actually be interesting to work with in future (though there is an annoyingly high level of micromanagement required if you want to be optimal) and in any case removing it would require a total rework of pops while removing the ship designer would only require a few small changes to techs

I would argue that planet tiles are a simple optimization problem that I totally ignore until I unlock the next power plant upgrade and that ship designs are interesting to work with now. Funny how that works.

My actual belief is that both systems are cool and good, though in need of some polish and expansion, and that anything that allows personalization and player input is good in Stellaris, noted space empire roleplaying game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yes but they'll tend to close to shorter ranges so they can fire more of their weapons, meaning they're more vulnerable to being swarmed by smaller ships, tend to lose tracking on the spinal gun more easily in larger fights, especially if said gun has a charge time (which is a thing I think needs to be looked at, as it renders Lances and Emitters kind of terrible in endgame fights), are just generally eclipsed by a pair of large mounts. Carriers, meanwhile, are lacking in decent offensive options already so you want them as far back as possible, and so they'll close to max range and stop if most of their other guns are support oriented. This keeps the carrier safe because not only is it screened by the melee, if you start losing that it's also screened by your combat battleships, and since it has a wider cone of fire it's more likely to get off shots with the energy-based spinal mounts. Test it out, spinal mounts on carriers is actually pretty legit.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Coolguye posted:

this went from funny observation to weird goony conspiracy theory really fast

Are you really surprised, given where you're posting?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That was one thing Endless Space did well - terrain features had both negative and positive effects. The research you did to exploit them simply removed the negative effect while keeping the positive, IE building a protected city on a volcanic world so you could have higher population and still maintain your cool geothermal plants, poo poo like that.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Truga posted:

Well, the thing in stellaris kinda works like that. Blocked tiles are blocked until researched and removed, and then their resources can be exploited better and the land populated more efficiently.

The odd thing about stellaris is, the underlying bonuses are entirely random. A glacier will have any bonus, or no bonus at all underneath. Likewise, a desert planet has exactly the same bonuses as an ocean planet, as long as you can inhabit it.

Yeah, the point of that post is that, in ES, terrain features (if you could call them that) on worlds always had fixed bonuses that were always useful and fixed negatives that always made sense. They were more like planetary traits than anything. Stellaris has nothing like this, and it might not be a bad thing to look at for flavor, though it's a pretty minor thing in the first place and not currently worth the time in the face of the other expansion the game hopefully gets.

Though holy poo poo it feels weird comparing Endless Space favorably to anything.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Afterburners are never good.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, thanks to the way combat mechanics in this game work, all afterburners on corvettes does is make sure your corvettes get ripped apart by those missiles you're all convinced are useless even faster than normal because none of your anti missile ships can keep up. And if you put afterburners on everything to counteract this, then the guy with shield capacitors curbstomps your fleet. You could sorta make a case for afterburners in the early game before PD is a thing, except that then you're researching afterburners when you have vastly more important things to research and you are gimping yourself.

In short: Afterburners are bad, like this thread.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, armored cruisers is likely the only thing available to you at that stage of the game that isn't going to result in a near even trade of fleet strength when you go at him, so long as he keeps all those corvettes in one fleet. That's probably your best bet.

The only reason I'd use any corvettes when you do commit is to draw fire off the cruisers for a few precious days, but depending on your armor tech you may not need any.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

A combination of both is what I'd go for. Probably primarily lasers on the cruisers since they'll be out front, and then if you have a group of destroyers with missiles sitting pretty behind them you'll likely clean up pretty handily.

Missiles are pretty poo poo against larger fleets in general, but they can absolutely wreck corvette swarms thanks to the range advantage and negation of evasion, combined with the fact that corvettes literally cannot have PD. Missiles are a good choice here. Obviously you'll want the lasers in your small and some of your medium mounts, with the missiles in all the large mounts and whatever mediums are left.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Coolguye posted:

battle report here:

2.7k of 9 cruisers and 15 destroyers outfitted with heavy armor and blue lasers (got lucky on the card draw) obliterated 4k worth of corvettes and first-generation destroyers (which followed the same ethos as the corvettes but had PD) and took a grand total of 2 destroyer and 1 cruiser loss

it was a glorious slaughter

thank you thread

:hfive:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Space spergs are the worst.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Rakthar posted:

It's always nice when people drop by threads full of content and engaging in lively discussion only to post crap like this. Thanks for your contribution.

I post in here pretty often, is it okay for me to post something like that? Because holy poo poo is he right.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Korgan posted:

Please check your post history

My God

It's full of :spergin:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Rakthar posted:

A regular feature of Something Awful for 10+ years running is that every time there's a thread with some detailed discussion (mod stuff, a game that draws grogs, etc) the yospos / ycs superstars come in saying how spergy everyone is.

It's not new and if you want to get your posting cred with that nugget, go for it. But uh, as an idea to express? It's dumb as poo poo. I get it, anyone putting thought or effort into stuff is a sperg. Hurrrrrrr. Every thread is improved when the discussion hits this point, the posters judging the other posters and their relative care levels.

No, it's sperg when all of your ideas and criticisms are universally terrible and your head is too far up your own rear end to understand that or pay attention when multiple people explain to you why this is the case. Talking about cool space poo poo in a cool space game is just being nerdy. Being completely unable to grasp that the game you are discussing is not EU4 while speaking to said game's lead developer on multiple, frequent occasions is sperg. You are sperging. Stop sperging.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

They are, so that chart is either out of date or incorrect.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, I usually play large spirals and still tend to run into unclaimed territory late game.

That said, Glyph's idea about better hyperdrives opening up more and more lanes from stars is actually pretty legit.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Paradox never announces a release date until like a month at most ahead of the launch. If it's announced this week it must be closer to launch than we realize/expect.

It's hard to parody bad Stellaris ideas because no matter what you come up with, someone has suggested far worse in complete earnestness at some point in this thread.

QFT

Bohemian Nights posted:

so when am I getting a legend of galactic heroes ship and/or species mod

There already is one for the Alliance floating around the workshop. No Boring Gay German portraits to go with it, though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

GotLag posted:

How useful is flak? When should/shouldn't I mount it, and on what ships?

Flak is hands down the best PD/Antifighter in the game, with the best range and hit rate. I always have some Flak in my fleets, just in case.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

They mimic breathing in order to put the fleshlings at ease.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

GotLag posted:

ORIGINAL MOD DO NOT STEAL

Stellar Energy, uploaded by ShadowDragon8685

Choice comments:

So I looked up the STOLEN MOD:
Stellar Balance, uploaded by Neceros

Page 5 of the comments:

Hahaha, I remember this dude, he used to sperg up Poptarts Ninja's Battletech thread and ended up having a fit and leaving after some people internet-yelled at him about it.

Somehow I am not at all surprised by his steam avatar.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 18, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

How did a loving science pun start this godawful ship design chat again

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Rakthar posted:

This guy comes into the thread about once a month complaining about detailed discussions being too much for him to handle. He can also only manage one line posts.

Hey bro sometimes people will talk about stuff you don't like, maybe you can take this show back on the road?

lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dwesa posted:

This reminds me that Sins had actually useful space stations that could even travel around the gravity well (1 faction only though) and minefields :saddowns:

Most of Sins was pretty eh, in my opinion, but Entrenchment was a legit good expansion with legit good ideas. I know that fortifications in space is a pretty stupid idea from any realistic standpoint, but if you're gonna do it, might as well go all in.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Brb making a race of uplifted forklifts and earthmovers

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Is it possible to mess with fleet formation somehow? I don't want my cruisers to lead the charge.

There's a few mods that do it with battle computers, but nothing in the base game. So if you can't/wont mod your save, build your ships accordingly.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What happens when there are multiple planets in system but I only want to bombard/invade one, or I want to hit a specific target in the system without engaging the doomstack on the other side of it, both of which are things I can already do with the current implementation?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

GotLag posted:

Dude if you don't want to play Stellaris, don't play Stellaris.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

So I guess based on the objectively correct all the time opinions of a few posters in this thread, Utopia should just delete the game and install every other Paradox title you've bought instead, but with Blorg randomly inserted.

Better get on that Wiz, the denizens of the Something Awful games board know what's best.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It will be very hard for the Axis powers to form in HoI4 with the Blorg handy to befriend Hitler.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Wiz posted:

We're not going to tear out half the game to satisfy the wishes of one Something Awful poster, relax.

But Wiz, according to your retelling of this game's development

you already have :tinfoil:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The point of the system map is to provide a visual aid for the player with regards to resources and goings-on in said system as opposed to simply a bunch of numbers and pop-ups on a map because Stellaris is a Space4X with an emphasis on being pretty and not a screensaver with spreadsheet elements or cookie clicker. A large number of players enjoy watching spaceships fly around and do things, like fighting that kick rear end space dragon you can also see in your system view.

This isn't rocket science.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

This could so easily be solved by simply adding traits and environment prefs to your primary species representing the more specialized diversity. You're never using more than 1 planet preference at a time so just stack them. Have humans that have continental AND ocean habitability. It's the same species but it's just abstracting the fact that you can at-will gene mod your pops to enjoy those planets. Don't make me make seperate pops with a mineral extraction bonus, a farming bonus, a an engineering bonus and so on, just stack them. A pop is only ever using one of those bonuses at a time, so just de-clutter the list and represent that increased diversity within your species. Your own gene modded pops don't count for xenophobia if they have the same name/portrait anyways. I can't think of anything that would be lost, other than spam on the species list.

I always assumed that the gene-modding techs is something you're doing to your people more dynamically. You move from your continental planet to this new ocean planet, no problem a doctor just activates your dormant gill genes. Moving to a desert planet? No problem, visit the clinic a few times and within a month your metabolism has been adjusted for the higher temperatures and your body conserves water better. So just stack the planet preferences and assume your pops are getting what ever genes and bio-engineering activated as needed when they move around.

See, this is actually a good idea.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

GotLag posted:

Why does it take a decade to decommission them?

Have you never noticed the lengths people will go to ignore factory recalls on cars and phones and the like? That part's totally believable.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

On the flip side, let's have an event chain for the more invasion oriented where you send a big robot to subjugate a planet, but there's a chance he'll hit is head and befriend a local child instead.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

^^^ I was about to mention that. Very few solutions being explained here, but plenty of claims that solutions exist.

If we're discussing purely fleet warfare, then I think the real issue is that combat at the moment is all or nothing - you can't retreat individual ships, individual ships aren't terribly robust, and generally if one side is going to win a fleet engagement, they win it overwhelmingly. I feel like making ships tougher, repair times shorter, and adding the possibility for ships lost in combat to maybe survive and regroup elsewhere after some amount of time has passed could go a long way towards encouraging breaking fleets up to fit specific objectives. In the same vein, comparative empire size and tech level should have a much, much greater effect on war goals and the score they cost - a multiple dozen-star empire that engulfs a neighbor shouldn't have to slowly pick apart said neighbor just because there's more than three planets in it, and on the flip side, it should be possible for that smaller empire to fight an effective and short war of humiliation if they can eliminate a fleet or two from that larger empire, or even sneak in and snipe one of their planets.

In other words, pretty much this post

OGS-Remix posted:

Making fights less all or nothing could help alleviate the doomstacking.

Instead of making emergency FTL one button, I'd give every ship a chance to emergency FTL on their own. The chance to emergency ftl would be adjusted based on class, admiral skill level, hp, and speed. So every day a ship is in combat below a certain HP threshold they have a chance to get out.

Then you adjust recovery time based on distance to friendly space such that defending ships get back into the action faster.

This dissuades doomstacking because you can commit smaller forces to tie up a larger enemy fleet while you split up and take objectives on your own.

That I somehow missed until after I finished typing all of this.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 30, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I mean, that's all cool, don't get me wrong, but the best part is we'll be able to play ravening carnivorous hiveminds now.

The scourge are going to show up only to find that the galaxy already has an alpha predator, and they're lower on the food chain :getin:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Edwhirl posted:

I don't really care.

I throw things in a sector and treat it like a foreign empire and just forget it exists for the most part.

I'll think you'll find you are not spergy enough for this thread, friend.

(Seriously everyone, do this. It makes the game more fun.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Making sweeping changes to a world's ecosystem in a very short span of time harms the current inhabitants of that ecosystem? I am truly shocked.

• Locked thread