Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm completely new to this game, but can I dump my starting dudes entirely and replace them all with robots/androids? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing this with two friends, and the game just kinda stopped working.

One of them has the date 3 days back and his name is in red. We played for 22 ingame years and it worked fine, but now his game apparently can't move past whenever he joins any more. Any ideas?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

I'm playing this with two friends, and the game just kinda stopped working.

One of them has the date 3 days back and his name is in red. We played for 22 ingame years and it worked fine, but now his game apparently can't move past whenever he joins any more. Any ideas?

Apparently this is a common problem. Also there's seemingly no way to debug this at all :negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Actually, custom ships own as hell, they're pretty great.

It's rather unfortunate most games don't triple down on custom ship design and go full star ruler.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Psycho Landlord posted:

That was one thing Endless Space did well - terrain features had both negative and positive effects. The research you did to exploit them simply removed the negative effect while keeping the positive, IE building a protected city on a volcanic world so you could have higher population and still maintain your cool geothermal plants, poo poo like that.

Well, the thing in stellaris kinda works like that. Blocked tiles are blocked until researched and removed, and then their resources can be exploited better and the land populated more efficiently.

The odd thing about stellaris is, the underlying bonuses are entirely random. A glacier will have any bonus, or no bonus at all underneath. Likewise, a desert planet has exactly the same bonuses as an ocean planet, as long as you can inhabit it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

Meanwhile, from Twitter:

Terraforming

This is the best.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Though holy poo poo it feels weird comparing Endless Space favorably to anything.

I found endless space really good, though I'd probably never bother playing it much if sowers never existed. That race was the best.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to search for strategic resources on the map? I have pretty much the whole drat galaxy surveyed and I recently researched living metal and there's no drat way I'm finding it on the 1000 stars map.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'd expect a few months seeing how there's no date yet.

Also, yesterday a friend and I started a game and we both rolled random races and I got a shitshow xenophobe militarist materialist race and how do I even play this thing? Everyone around me is also xenophones, which just makes things worse, so I ended up declaring war on the most dangerous and biggest one and vassalized them entirely in like 2 fights due to the AI doing a dumb thing with their fleet and letting me jump in on top of them with an autocannon fleet and promptly lost their entire fleet power with me losing only 2 corvettes.

But they were doing more harm than good as vassals so I just integrated them (which cost 1020 influence to begin with) and now I'm paying 2 influence per month to supress their sector cause they're really pissed off. At least I could demolish all the frontier outposts, since my borders increased by a factor of 2 when they intergrated :v:

What I want to ask is, is there even anything I can do to change this, or do I just ignore the problem and spend the influence forever? I don't think there's enough happiness buildings to change these guys' opinion, seeing how they used to be fanatical purifiers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think if I do that I'll get thrown out of the federation post haste and that's the only thing keeping the horde at bay right now. Maybe after I build some more colonies and spaceports for a bigger fleet I'll explore that option.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also, I have no idea who selected the stellaris wiki favicon, but good job. I keep seeing internet explorer.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
How do you define delicious though? Even some humans are weird and like poo poo that's way too sour or salty for me to even go near. There better be traits for what tastes aliens like and what aliens taste like. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So I did an event chain that changed my Blorg commonality into a fanatical spiritualist collectivist state. The down side is, everyone I used to be friends with (everyone) now hates me. The upside is, I could purge the few remaining shrooms with roughly zero penalty (they mostly moved into other empires and quickly got replaced by robots), and now I'm spreading the holy word of AI through the galaxy. I'm not going to stop until every single pop on every single planet in these 1000 systems is robbits. :3:

This owns. When do we get robotic city scapes and ships?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, there's arctic climate and then there's frozen wasteland. One is like being a penguin race, other is "oh look, liquid nitrogen lakes".

Also irenic bureaucracy is goddamn amazing. So many core systems.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My main problem with pacifists is after a bit it becomes impossible to expand outside liberation wars. I mean, peace through superior firepower is real nice and all, but I'd really like if there were alternatives.

Hopefully the faction rework will allow cooler things later on. In my single player game my huge star empire xenophobe neighbour has some serious happiness issues on most of their planets, and ends up having to enslave them all (until I invade with "stop atrocities" again), it'd be nice if they decided to just join my utopian society by means other than me declaring war. I'd be fine with a war, even, it's just be nice if sometimes the faction leader stepped up and said "hey, you guys look like cool dudes, and these guys are real shitlords. Care helping us out?".

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I routinely have 1 or 2 additional core sustems (especially if they have multiple colonizable planets) without much issue. Energy can get a little tight if the fleet is out and about but otherwise it's not a problem. Maybe that will change now that we have something to spend energy and minerals on though.

It's insane how quick teching happens when you have full control over all your 20 planets though. I have so much science labs on my planets and still have enough surplus power that the negative that inevitably happens during the odd war doesn't really dent my pool much. Early on it seemed a bit slower than my usual games because I colonized everything as fast as I could, but when the pops fully populated the planets holey moly.

e: speaking of not sectors is there any way to keep sector'd planets on the right side panel? It'd be really nice if I could use their starports without having to go into system and find each planet there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

Now I have to build my Dyson sphere in the Sol system inhabited by primitive humans. Don't worry, I'll send them a note that we're going to be paving over their sun so they have time to move.

Personally, I'm going to make a wall around the sun and make the xenos pay for it.

e: On science, if you're going to expand at all while trying to be the science leader, do it as quickly as possible from the start and then stop. You'll lag a bit for the first 20 years, then speed past the galaxy once your planets populate. Having free migration also helps.

Slow but steady expansion and focusing on science gives at best average results since there's always that one planet giving a science malus but having little to no output.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 2, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Are you a xenophobe? They inherit their liberator's traits, so if you're a xenophobe, so are they and it's much harder to integrate them like that. Likewise, with xenophile, it's much much easier. You might have to wait a few years in any case though, often their trust for you right out of a war won't be the best and unless they feel threatened from another presence in the vicinity they won't entertain the matter.

On the other hand, when I liberate planets from a shitshow of an empire, they'll often they ask me to be my vassal/protectorate as soon as the war ends.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Agean90 posted:

iv done this enough to manipulate things slightly (i think borders will actually go farther than normal to make a continous one), but a basic "heres the radious with your tech factored in" dotted outline would be nice.

I think how borders work is, when you add something that increases border size to your empire, it has some kind of stacking bonus with other things also within or close to that same border.

For example, colonizing more systems that are already within your borders is going to have a small border effect even on the other side of your huge empire.

Likewise, if you just plop down a frontier station in the middle of nowhere, it'll barely cover any space at all. And yes, having some kind of preview would be great.

Also, personally I've always found espionage and culture victories in games a big pile of boring poo poo. Less about the mechanics and more about how as Wiz pointed out, you flip cities by building television, and espionage too often happens purely by spending cash, either on a slider or on very special units, and then rolling a dice.

Working not with "culture" but with stellaris' ethos, happiness, and faction mechanics might make it cool. Also, we already have a great currency to spend on espionage, it's influence.

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 3, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Azuth0667 posted:

Wait does this mean if a culture system did happen that I'd be able to shoot lasers at space :foxnews:?

but with spaceships and lasers instead of scuds and guns.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah :( Was really lovely watching them fight a losing battle because they made one great game (SR1) and one outright classic (SR2) and were almost completely ignored for some reason.

wow I just noticed this post, this really blows.

Bloodly posted:

Consider that the maintenance cost of a station is 1 Influence in addition to regular costs. This allows double the amount of stations.

Yeah, the influence cost halved is pretty huge.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So here's a newbie question: How do I tell a sector to purge all the goddamn xenos? I set it to purge and it doesn't seem to be doing it at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't high happiness provide a percentage bonus to pop productivity? That sounds pretty powerful to me. Exploration flat out gives science points, harmony gives you a little bit of everything, provided your dudes don't hate you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

with the faction rework i hope they remove that mechanic because it was super dumb.

Actually, it's a really good mechanic. Happy people are far more productive than angry people, even enslaved ones.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah you're right, that's why all the world superpowers run on slaves, because slaves are more productive
Because it gives a benefit of going beyond an arbitrary number. Numbers that give a penalty when below number x, but absolutely nothing when above the same number is poo poo game design. It's why most RPGs have gotten rid of accuracy, or give accuracy some kind of additional bonus when you go above 100%.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Slaves give an OK bonus to food and mineral production, but it comes at a pretty large happiness penalty for them and for everyone else on the planet (unless you're specifically collectivist/xenophobe), and they're completely useless at power/science production.

So yes, slaves are a shittier workforce in this game every single time, barring those specific traits and some micromanagement. The penalties they give are much higher than the bonuses.

Likewise, like in my RPG example, going above "100%" happiness should do what exactly? Right now, going below reduces your pop's production (and in extreme cases causes other issues), going above increases it. This is good, both because it is intuitive, and because otherwise there'd be no point in building happiness buildings on a bunch of planets at all, since your guys are "happy enough".

It's a good mechanic and it should stay. If there's extra bonuses on top of extreme happiness (like there is with extreme unrest) that's fine too though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Split it into two sectors, tell one to prioritise research, the other power? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of typos:

"when not under attacked"

Where do I go report these?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Personally I'm most hype for a smoother transition between meat and robot. The current way is extremely inefficient.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LordMune posted:

Right here baby, it's been fixed

:swoon:

GunnerJ posted:

I do remember there being a brief moment in the stream when Wiz pointed out that cknoor's starting station looks different from his, so this kind of thing might be in.

I think that was just having your ship colours based on flag colours, the models looked samey to me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My current fleet composition is destroyers with kinetic artillery and flak, cruisers with two kinetics and flaks and battleships with lances and lots of artillery. It works surprisingly well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't flak and the like actually pretty good against corvettes too?
Flak, in fact, absolutely annihilates corvettes. Probably destroyers too?

I posted

Truga posted:

My current fleet composition is destroyers with kinetic artillery and flak, cruisers with two kinetics and flaks and battleships with lances and lots of artillery. It works surprisingly well.
from the phone earlier and let me expand a bit now:
https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_02_07_1.png
https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_02_07_2.png
https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_02_07_3.png

These are more or less the ship loadouts I use now. All my ships have the 100 range kinetic battery thing, it trashes poo poo from way far out, which is great both when you're the bigger power (I often kill fleets close to my fleet power while losing like 2 destroyers or a cruiser or some other silly low number worth of minerals), or when you're the underdog (do tons of damage from way out, then retreat when your poo poo starts dying too fast for comfort).

The downside of the batteries is, of course, they're entirely useless against corvettes. Maybe destroyers too? I know that even destroyers absolutely will not hit a corvette with the kinetic gun, maybe they can hit destroyers. Obviously, this would be bad, but that's what the flak is for.

Flak doesn't have any bonuses or penalties, its only non-standard feature is that it doubles as a point defense. Except, it has 50% tracking compared to PD's 30%, has 40 range, compared to PD's 10, and does 4.4 damage per day, compared to PD's 2.2, and while it seems like a marginal damage increase, flak shoots slower, but hits *hard* so most things it'll target will just get alpha'd to death by your fleet. And yes, PD has -100% shield damage.

What this means is, if all your destroyers and cruisers are packing flak, there's a death wall around your ships at 40 range, through which no fighter, corvette or missile can ever fly. It's kinda funny going against a fleet that's heavy on tiny ships, all my ships start firing, but the enemy fleet isn't dying at all. Every time I get a bit worried, thinking finally an AI has a good counter, but then they reach the death wall range and vanish in a giant glorious ball of fire and explosion.

It's ridiculously effective.

Dallan Invictus posted:

There is a reason all my fleet doctrines call for powers-of-2 numbers of each class and it is NOT because I am role playing aliens who have hands but no fingers.

My fleets were in powers of 2 before I read this post and now I suddenly feel like I get why people are complaining about splitting fleets :v:

A typical escapade posted:

If you split a ship off and select both fleets you can still do that, you just have to drag the ship icon to the other fleet's tab. It opens the "click which ships to transfer" window with just ships of that class. I have no idea why you can't do that without creating another fleet first.

I have no idea why the selected *single* fleet window is what it is, it clutters up the whole screen. I don't need to know the name of every single ship in my fleet, I just care if it has an admiral, and how many of each class there are. When selecting 2 fleets, the problem suddenly disappears :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

I'm down. Finally when I discover breadbasket worlds with tons of food tiles I can go ham on farms and feed my empire.

Someone blockades your planet, the entire rest of the empire revolts due to starving :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

That sounds pretty rad. It makes breadbasket worlds a vital strategic target, and rewards players who seek them out/players who don't rely on them. Can you see the surface tiles of planets within your sensor range? If so, you could look for these worlds and go for them first and gamble on them being the source of most of the empire's food.

don't even have to be in sensor range, just need to have it surveyed and you'll see the pops/structures on it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, usually you'll make a colony and it'll take years for it to fill with pops. My fungoids have migration treaties with pretty much everyone, and colonies are full of pops drat near instantly. It's extremely good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The sector AI isn't so much as dumb as there's not enough settings for it IMO.

I have like 50 planets in my sector. That's a lot of planets! Honestly, the game manages them more than well enough, but I'd really like an option like "every planet should have a paradise dome", so I don't have to build one before I toss it over to the sector governor.

Likewise, as someone earlier pointed out, let us have blueprints for space ports. This would achieve two things, not having to babysit your spaceport if it's in core worlds, and have the option for the sectors to build to your blueprint.

Basically, sectors can stay as they are, they're smart enough. Let us specify mandatory buildings that every planet that has 10 or more live pops should build though. As good as the AI is, I might have specific wishes for my planets and it can't read my mind.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No I literally just start building a paradise dome and then throw it over to the sector. If I could tell the sector to do it instead that'd be good enough for me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That reminds me, I dunno if this is an exploit or what but:
If you start building robots on a planet - fill all the tiles with "build robot". Then you research droids or synths, but all the robots you're building won't upgrade to the correct tier until they're actually built. So you cancel a robot and build a droid/synth there and you'll be building 2 robots at the same time, because count as different species.

It's obviously not some kind of giant boost, and is only doable twice during a game, but it's a thing. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can, and it's actually worthwhile doing it sometimes when a good spot is taken by a clearable tile and it's early enough in the game that the extra 4 power/minerals matter.

However, by the time you have sectors with several planets, lol.

Rakthar: I play like you say during the early and maybe mid game, but by late game it's just not needed, the extra 10-20% you get from micromanaging isn't worth your time.

I suggest trying playing without using pause at all for a bit, see what happens (it happened to me playing multiplayer!) :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:allears:

This is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, science isn't exactly a belief system, is it? Provide solid evidence, and enough people will take you seriously. Don't, and they'll laugh you out of the room, as they should. Unless there's some other agenda on the table :v:

As someone mentioned earlier, scientists would be in fact the most interested in magic, study it, and harness it. Imagine a magical source of power :v:

I'm personally not too fond of locking spiritualists out of robots and vice versa, because if nothing else, going on a holy wat to digitalise the galaxy and spread the true word of the Computer would be great, but on the other hand, I currently beeline for synths and psi jump drive on all my plays because they're both just so good. If the lockouts give good alternatives I'm all for it.

• Locked thread