Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Conskill posted:

I spoke with one parapsychologist that lamented that there were statistically valid results for Psi, but that just invited incredulous insistence that their methods were flawed to have gotten that result.

Note, I am not familiar enough with parapsychological literature to judge that as truthful or not, but there are people IRL who really do research and claim these things.

I'm personally acquainted with the (anti)vaccine science due to it being a very popular topic recently, and there's "doctors" or "scientists" who call themselves that but are really just plain old propagandists. Dunno how para-scientists do their work, but if it's anything like that, I can understand the aversion.

Rakthar posted:

When I say refuse, I mean "The scientific community is satisfied with an answer that does not satisfy the general public, and is no longer investigating." A really simple example is the current debate about Thimerosal. The scientific consensus says that they have proven it is safe, and basically refuses to do any substantive inquiry otherwise.

I believe that Psychic Phenomena, claims of faith healing, and claims of Aliens fall into this category but apparently this is in dispute and credible studies are done on them. Can you please link the last study trying to determine a psychic phenomenon, when it was published, and how many subjects it had?

Scientific "truths" that get reversed all the time. Here's something *everyone* used to know is true until this week: https://theconversation.com/maybe-moderate-drinking-isnt-so-good-for-you-after-all-72266

Like I said, present solid evidence for your hypothesis, no matter how preposterous, and the podium is yours! I'll listen to wacky poo poo any day of the week, especially if there's evidence for it. There aren't many people who want magic to be more real than me.

I'll post a lovely comic to the other half of your question:

You could argue 20 years ago that maybe there's things people have seen, but nobody ever caught on camera. Now, there's camera footage of people doing anything and everything, and there's *zero* footage of magic, aliens, anywhere.

GunnerJ posted:

What if I asked the scientific community what a "vegan" is, would this convince Wiz to change his mind...?

Vegans are rainforest killing monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Conskill posted:

Scientists are people too, warts and all.

That does sound like it sucked, personally I'd go for that. There's almost always something that can be learned from stupid experiments, and if absolutely nothing came out of it, it'd be one more psi experiment on the back of the book saying "results inconclusive", which is still better than nothing.

:byoscience:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

Xenophiles should definitely love the exotic taste of alien sentient flesh. :getin:

Yeah, it's not like xenophile specifies what they like about aliens.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

I have seen a "League of rear end in a top hat Empires" form in at least one game, but I think that might be kind of rare.

I've seen this happen with two federations in one of my games and it's hilarious because you know the assholes that now keep getting invaded are causing hilarious amounts of damage to the federation by making them lose entire fleets, just by me declaring a single war.

Wiz posted:

No. Only habitable worlds, plus some barren worlds (like Mars) in Banks. Stellaris galaxies are really too large for everything to be colonizeable.

I honestly like it quite a lot that most systems don't support colonies. It makes space feel more hostile and bigger, and allows for the 1000 star galaxy without bogging everything down. Endless space 80 star galaxy felt both bigger and smaller than the stellaris 1000 star one at the same time, and not in a good way.

Speaking of stars, is there a mod that adds binaries? I don't care if it's just a different star model, but binary (or more) systems are supposed to be pretty common and there are none in Stellaris.

e: Found two mods when googling, will give one a spin if either works with the latest version.

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

Give us resources and we'll purge you last?

First, they came for the mushrooms and I didn't speak out - because I wasn't a mushroom. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Go over there and occupy + blockade the system, the war will end instantly. The single system guy probably doesn't have anything left anyway, just send a couple ships and transports.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wiz posted:

Huh. Yeah, that's not great. Abandoned stations should probably be destroyed after a few months or something.

Have it decay health slowly due to lack of maintenance resources being funneled into it. Bonus, hp acts as a timer to tell you how much time you have left to recap it. :v:

Speaking of defunct outposts: in one of my games I have a ton of wormhole gates scattered around the entire galaxy, but can't disband any (long since moved to psi jump drives), because they're not in my core sector (not even inside my borders) and they're just eating resources for maintenance. Is this intended, or an oversight?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh. I do have an UI mod, I'll check if it does the same without it.

e: Nope, without the UI mod:
https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_02_16_1.png

Baronjutter posted:

Time is usually of the essence when building outposts, I don't want to wait months for that station to decay before I can pop an outpost in there :(

If you're in a hurry you can always just bomb it with a fleet?

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

As far as eating pops go, don't forget numbers aren't final. Seems pretty powerful now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed a bit or required a 'carnivore' trait or something.

That's what the fungoids and plantoids are there for :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure that's xenophile and repugnant combo - see blorg :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

metasynthetic posted:

Paradox VR is just you standing around a board game in a virtual space.

The board is actual size.

The only locomotion supported is walking IRL

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They do say dog is man's best friend.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Fox is a canidae afaik, but yeah.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to play as a purifier in a new game I started last weekend, but diplomacy kept getting in the way and I sorta got bored. I'm super hyped for that thing lmao.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It was a page or three ago but yes, monarchies and dictatorships got separated.

e: I imagine the small person icon inside the large one is the heir? :3:

vvv: Oh, welp. I'm not sure actually.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 21, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The Zerg is o-on.

quote:

They can coexist, for example as allies or vassals They can't live inside a Hive Mind empire though - they get processed.

Heh.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately, you'll still have to declare war and have truces as a purifier, but I can understand why.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I remember that, it was very funny.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

darnon posted:

You usually get the 'incoming message' audio cue when the diplo alert is pertinent to you.

Yeah this is nice, but I wish they also had a yellow outline, like the "evading hostile fleets" icon does.

Splicer posted:

Do migration treaties chain? If dog people let mushroom men in and I have a treaty with dog empire can the dog empire's mushroom men wander over to my empire?

They absolutely can, since they're citizens of the dog empire.

In a big ironic twist in a game I'm playing, I replaced all my mushrooms instantly with robbits when they moved out. Now I'm slowly conquering the galaxy and I swear 50% of all the spieces are my mushrooms, jesus christ.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 24, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, how do you kite in this game?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Honky Dong Country posted:

Also I was thinking more about co-op play in Stellaris and I think it'd be extremely cool if you could enable an option that forced placement of player empires to be close.

This exact option already exists in the vanilla game fyi

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'll allow it if the entire music tracklist gets replaced by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cy9HeM8QQc

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm just going to say i doubt it would be outrageously difficult to do synth versions of all main portraits. So long as they stick to the animations of the original it should just be a retexture.

Time and work, yes, but in terms of animating not really much extra work.

Make it so each synth can be building another synth on the same planet.

Set free migration, watch the bots swarm the galaxy :kheldragar:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The new fad diet is really good for people with actual celiac disease tho, so I'm glad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ExMudder/status/837842247429173252

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Kinetics are end-game tech. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DatonKallandor posted:

The game really needs an auto-construct mode for builders to automate the mining station and research station placement in the end game, because it gets tedious as gently caress when your territory is constantly growing and mining stations keep getting destroyed by the mid-game and late-game wars. I also wouldn't mind if +1 minerals spots didn't exist anymore to make this work better, because +1 minerals is garbage clutter.

throw all your systems into a sector. they won't rebuild instantly, but they will rebuild soon enough.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Focused arc emitters are really good against fleets of smaller ships, because they have 100% accuracy or some poo poo like that, and a couple ships hitting for 1 is less painful than all of your battleships missing in that situation. Plus, bypassing all shields on hulls that don't have much hit points is very nice too. e;fb

Once enemies start throwing mostly cruisers and battleships at you, they're kinda crap though. Far lower dps than the other XLs.

But yeah, make your own doomstack, fit it exclusively with long range guns, retreat as soon as you start taking too much damage, repeat until enemy doomstacks disappear.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, by mid game you should only be using frontier outposts for critical strategic purposes, they're really not needed for just basic border expansion for basic resources after you have 5-6 colonies up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've had AI tell me "hey, that planet is too close to the border for comfort, please buzz off"

To which I've said no, and then nothing happened, because we were surrounded by purifiers and other xenophobes and the AI was making GBS threads their pants about it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

What would they suggest you do about it given that you can't decolonize a planet other than by exterminating everyone on it?

If you say yes, you just lose the colony ship. They demand it before colony is fully up, IIRC.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GotLag posted:

I enjoy Hyperdrive-only the most out of the current options, because it adds terrain to the galaxy and creates strategic chokepoints. And then you tech up to jump drives and start jumping into other empires' secure areas and loving their poo poo up.

What I would like to see in My Perfect Vision Of Stellaris would be a hybrid system:
1. Empires start with warp drives - relatively slow but can go anywhere eventually
2. Research unlocks hyper lanes - not present in a majority of systems, and joining stars further away than immediate neighbours
3. More research unlocks wormhole generators - expensive stations that let you throw ships a long distance, but they have to find their own way back
Any ship should be able to use any and all of the above in combination (might have to have some kind of setting on fleets/wormhole stations to set whether allies/military/civilians can use them). On being given a move order, the ship/fleet picks the route that gets it there soonest, which will probably be warping to the nearest system with a hyper lane, hypering for a bit, then warping to the final destination.

4. End-game/ascendancy tech - [psi] jump drives

Thank you for reading my awful ideas.

I, too, would prefer something like this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, technically nebulae slow down FTL travel but I've never even noticed it. A bit more "terrain" would go a long way.

It's very obvious with early warp drives, since already kinda long trips become even longer. Hyperspace is too fast to really show much difference, and wormholes obviously just sidestep the issue.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure there's shops that sell hugpillow sheets with a picture, just like they do for shirts. Hell, it's probably the same shop. I don't think paradox has to spend actual money on it, beyond having an artist draw up a blorg that looks good on a sheet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This thread totally matters though, watch this:

Wiz posted:

That's a great idea actually. Will do.

In before goons trying to steal our game like they stole eve online.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Prawned posted:

I always like to imagine you are reading this thread in the exact pose from your avatar.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I repeatedly clown the AE flying around with a million and then some fleet power with my 600k fleet, because he keeps his fleets in separate 75-200k fleets and my doomstack obliterates them one at a time.

If they just stacked everything they'd roll me over, but AI is really dumb sometimes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

At least there's no god damned adfly.

I'm usually the first person to poo poo on steam's monopoly but holy poo poo workshop is a godsent.

The only thing with it is it doesn't enforce some kind of open license to all the mods posted, but I guess you can't have everything.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

hey speaking of getting the game to play itself is there a cheat / mod to unlock auto-explore for science ships earlier?

There's a mod that unlocks it off the bat:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785299768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone looks like a serial killer.
https://storage.googleapis.com/vidsums/af96b835-19ff-484e-9d65-bb6ffb7b40c5.mp4

• Locked thread