Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Mondian posted:

So a bunch of my vassals decided to band together in a war for independence while I was distracted with fending off a neighboring empire's attempt to punish me for all my atrocities. Point is, I smashed all their fleets to pieces, but their warscore keeps ticking up despite them being toothless and not actually doing anything. Is this normal and if so what exactly am I supposed to do to combat it?

I believe that during an independence war rebellious vassals get 1% warscore every month (maybe not that often - but it is pretty regular) that the war drags on for. This means that If the war lasts long enough it can become nigh impossible to win by score alone.

I think your best bet would be to blockade all of their worlds. Blockading like mad pushes up your warscore, and I think if you blockade all their worlds it forces an end to the war - every time I have done it, or seen the AI do it, the opposing AI usually capitulates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Wiz posted:

Maybe a post-apocalypse alternative to cockroaches? What would be the giant animal that's taken over though?

Apes obviously

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

I had a similar issue with a mod that allows you to capture Titans, but the thing actually kept going wherever its former owner's AI wanted it to (i.e., it changed orders to follow newly arrived "enemy" fleets). That I fixed by merging it with one of my own fleets. I didn't think I'd easily be able to merge Fed navy fleets like that though, but it makes sense that splitting off and making a "new" fleet would work in that case too. The former AI can't give orders to the "new" fleet of its new owner.

Total speculation on my part, but this kind of thing sounds like it could possibly be due to the ownership (and other) data of fleet/ships/units in Stellaris being saved in multiple locations. One of the things I've been doing recently is fiddling about extensively with savegames to work out what does what/how to break the game, and there is a degree of duplication when it comes to fleet ownership/control data.

Put simply, in the savegame file you have:
1. An entry for the fleet itself, which includes data on which ships are in it, and who owns it.
2. An entry for the empire, which includes data on which fleets it owns/controls.

Now, this is not an issue in itself, but I have had situations where I have messed about and changed 1 but not 2 (and vice versa), and got similar results to your brief description, including for land units. I am just speculating and am probably completely and utterly wrong, but its possible that whatever event trigger system the mod that you use (and is used by Federation fleets) changes the ownership/control data in 1 place, but neglects to change it in both places. It might also explain why splitting (and thus creating a new fleet) works.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Tigey posted:

Spergy detail in my earlier post about savegame stuff

On a related note, one of the other things I noticed while going through the savegame files is that an awful lot of space is also used to store data on "hostile fleet spotted in X system". In other words, whenever you enter a system and spot a hostile fleet/monster/mining station, it stores this data in the savegame. By itself, this is good: it means you know there is/once was a threat in that system.

The problem is that it appears to store this data forever, it stores it for every empire in the game, and in a seemingly very inefficient manner: each ship in a hostile fleet is listed individually (rather than simply saying Cruiserx50, Destroyerx60, Corvetterx90, etc) having a line for each ship spotted in the fleet. For doomstacks this means that entries can go on for hundreds of lines, as the example below illustrates:

{
object=646
hostile={
{
name="2nd Imperial Warfleet"
coordinate={
x=144.582
y=-50.029
origin=646
}
military_power=95098.630
size={
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
shortened to prevent it making GBS threads up the forum page, but the list literally continues on for about 50 more cruisers, then 100+ destroyers and corvettes. This is only for one fleet, and appears under several empires.
}
}
}
}

Toward the end of one very long game, I went through the save file and manually deleted all this data. Nothing of any value seemed to be lost, and the savegame file size was reduced by over 25% (1 MB). I also noticed a modest performance increase.

If they ever want to optimise savegames/performance - a good place to start might be 1) putting a time limit on how long this 'hostile fleets' data is kept, or 2) finding some way of storing it that doesn't involve listing out each ship sighted in a system.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

drat, fallen empires do not gently caress around.

Militant Isolationists: "decolonize our border systems right now you little poo poo"
Me, leading an empire of repugnant and extremely adaptive cockroach people: "up yours lol"

:gonk:

The best part is when the 'border systems' include most of your core worlds, including your home planet

Fun times

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

ulmont posted:

Special achievement (so ironman only) for genociding all other races as a Xenophobic empire, btw.

Hoping we get one for finding a prewarp Earth and eating all the humans

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Great work - and yeah it does kind of look like a Synth Prethoryn now that you mention it!

Its good to see more portrait artists at it, especially now that Silfae (another talented portrait maker) seems to unfortunately be listening more and more to the furries who keep egging him on to make more female mammalian/creepy space tween portraits.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

If it goes anything like my last game that will leave it 3-4 years, then colonise the holy world again

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Going to do a Spiritualist run next - I want my Captain Sisko/Chosen one

ElMaligno posted:

Then again, I was finally able to add the hive mind trait to other species but my original hive-mind is treating it as undesirable. And yes I did change their citizenship rights but they are still being eaten. How can I be an all consuming hive-mind if I cant assimilate everyone???

I think thats a bug, which seems to have been one of the things fixed in the upcoming 1.5.1 hotfix patch:

quote:

* Hive Mind will now stop processing pops of other species when they're gene-modded to gain the Hive Mind trait

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-patch-1-5-1-banks-released-not-for-problem-reports.1010281/

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Truga posted:

https://pastebin.com/hVWGMUGY
There's not enough space in the bio window for the Fourth Stimpire. :rip: EOTY

Heh I used the Stimpire as my 'testing how race modding works' dummy race

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Soup du Journey posted:

MoO1 had stargates that let you travel instantaneously between two systems if they both had stargates built. Maybe wormholes could be a lategame tech that let you do something similar? To borrow some Civ language, regular hyperlanes could be like a road network that branches out more with higher techs, but wormholes could be a railroad analogue, letting you zip instantaneously between hubs. Maybe keep the radius around wormholes, but have it be exclusionary, so you can only have one wormhole station in a wide area centered around an already existing station. Endgame repeating techs could shrink that radius down a bit?

Wormholes as basically an internal strategic movement network, thats great for defense, but more or less useless for attack? I like it..

Personally, though, under such a system I'd make Wormhole Generators/Stargates a spaceport module rather than the space structure they currently are.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

These peacocks are amazing. And absolutely perfect for making the Wais from Alan Dean Foster's Damned Trilogy

Not a fan of the Caterpeople though. Those forearms look way out of proportion to everything else...

Still, its a great addition - had been wanting another portrait pack for a while - an excellent freebie.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Mazz posted:

What are naked corvettes?

Basically, naked corvettes are corvette designs with literally nothing but the bare minimum in T1 equipment, churned out en masse. They are effective in both SP and MP

They die easily, but due to the mineral cost of equipment scaling as you tech up, they are incredibly cheap, and their vast numbers make them extremely mineral efficient - they are so cheap you can afford many times more ships than the enemy, and their numbers usually beat any combination of ships (of equivalent or slightly higher mineral cost) thrown at them.

This video is a handy introduction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCddANybN_0

Its extremely likely to be nerfed in a future patch

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Black Griffon posted:

Man, I installed all the Alpha mods and I loving hate and absolutely love it at the same time. There's five hundred thousand new buildings and techs to get my head around, but at the same time I feel like the game is getting close to the stupid complexity that Paradox games should have.

Maybe I'll finally figure out HoI IV once I figure this poo poo out.

I love huge amounts of spergy detail, but AlphaMod takes it too far: its excessive detail almost purely for its own sake.

For example, you have to build a building to mine ice, then a refinery to melt that ice into water, then a building to brew that water into alcohol, and then you can build a bar, which boosts happiness by like 1.42%. Stellaris isn't Victoria - I'm a godamn space emperor/space president/space gestalt consciousness: I shouldn't have to worry about building a long and complex production chain just to be able to build a few minor bonus buildings. Evil minions should be doing that for me.

Basically, in my opinion AlphaMod would benefit from streamlining/simplifying all its production chains and abstracting a bunch of the current features. But if others like it as is, fair play to them.

Because of this I just rifle through the AlphaMods and steal all the good bits (like the neat graphics, buildings and events they made for colonizing molten/toxic/gas giants, etc) for my personal mod, and balance it accordingly. That way I get the good stuff and none of the micromanagement.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I guarantee within a week someone will upload a mod to Steam that makes it so all the black human pops are automatically enslaved and owned by white human pops

Probably less than a week

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Wiz posted:

They do (it's how they can communicate over interstellar distances), but it's more of a natural and inherent connection than a psionic empires' intrusions, so they don't use it the same way.

Yeah I remember one of the Civics (Subspace Esphase or something) described it as being a biological connection over subspace or something.

Back before Banks, I made up a similar technobabble explanation for my Hive Mind race being able to work over interstellar distances, by explaining that as all drones came from eggs laid by the Queen, each egg that 'Her Grand Loveliness' laid contained small amounts of quantum entangled non-organic components which acted as instantenous receivers for the Hive Mind's neural signals across any distance, which each drone's brain then interpreted and transmitted back as needed.

It was complete and total made up bullshit, but it sounded surprisingly plausible enough to my nerdy friends at the time.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

OldMold posted:

Are there any good namelist mods to add some variety/depth? Hopefully ones that try to play it straight and not "lol mylittlepony names".
Cybrxkhan's Assortment of Namelists for Stellaris is pretty good:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682691478

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Duodecimal posted:

Yes, you could build stargates, and MOO2 had wormholes that connected distant parts of the map as though they had gates, but only a few at most in the entire map.

But yes, hyperlanes was not a thing in MOO (can't remember MOO3, think I only put a few hours into that one).

MOO3 had Starlanes as the main FTL method. There were wormholes, but they were basically longer and faster starlanes.

It was technically possible to 'go offroad' - ignoring starlane paths by travelling to another system at sublight speed, but that took dozens of turns, rather than only a couple. There was little reason to do it unless you got hemmed into a single spiral arm

Lanes apparently make things much easier for the AI by limiting the choices available to it, and the player. I think its a price worth playing to avoid making game much easier/crippling the AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Eiba posted:

I really just want the ability to make custom fallen empires. I can meticulously make a list of a dozen flavorful thematically interesting rivals... but the most powerful and enigmatic forces in the galaxy are still random unimpressive reptile portrait 3 with an arbitrary name.

Its pretty straightforward to make custom fallen empires, though it does require basic modding. You can customise each of the five types of Fallen Empire to spawn with certain names, portraits, traits, flags, ship designs, etc.

For example, after a particularly memorable game involving me being beaten to the ground by the Awakened Xenophobes, I have now made them always spawn with the Babylon 5 'Shadows' portrait.

Most of the data to do this is within the 00_fallen_empire.txt As ever, its usually a bad idea to edit the base files - making a mod with the desired changes. This has the benefit of being easily able to revert back to vanilla (by unselecting the mod) if you ever get sick of the Fallen Empire's faces.

• Locked thread