Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Baronjutter posted:

Dont think Wiz is going to care for the title though. They're really trying to distance them selves from that (and it was already the title of the first stellaris thread)

Yeah, except what other title is more appropriate for a thread started today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I wonder how orbital habitats will work with the combat AI? Right now it shoots at anything belonging to a hostile empire, which is slightly annoying when you plan on capturing a system whose mining stations (if they are still intact) would flip to your empire after you conquer the planet. I'm hoping we will have the ability to blockade planets without blowing up the habitats containing millions of people first.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

How would that work with terraforming, though? Right now you find an desert planet filled with mountain ranges & you terraform it into an ocean paradise for your fish aliens and obviously the mountains all go away. But if the mountain tiles had bonuses do those stay even after terraforming, or do they disappear?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I'd say that at this point Stellaris + Utopia is still significantly less complex than CKII + all the DLC. There's more economy management, but the poltical system is comparatively simple and there isn't any character developement or interactions which is the bulk of CKII complexity.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Nosfereefer posted:

Okay seriously gently caress this game. A neighbouring Science FE awoke, so I agreed to get vassalized. They then attack another neighbouring realm, and liberates half their provinces. Now for some reason I'M guaranteeing the new nation, and as I'm a vassal I can't cancel this. The AE THEN attacks the new nation, dragging me into a war against them, which we immediately lose and I'm annexed.

Agreeing to be vassalized is a last resort type of thing. You give up almost all of your autonomy, in the hope that you can buildup your fleet enough to one day declare independence and fight off your former overlord. The diplomatic fuckery you got hit with is probably a bug though. Vassals shouldn't be guaranteeing anything, and should always side with their overlord when they have conflicting treaties.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Yeah, waiting to declare independence while your overlord is involved in a distant and messy war seems like smart tactics, not an exploit.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

Clearly the reason the Empire built the Deathstar is because they couldn't get enough Warscore to beat the Rebellion so they decided to exploit a loophole.

I thought it was because they hit their mineral cap?

That's the impetus behind all of my ridiculously expensive boondoggle projects.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Ocean homeworld, fan. spiritualist / authoritarian, oligarchy. Always say yes on any horizon signal popups.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

...or by making cooperation between empires as interesting as competition (say by expanding on federations).

Federations right now are just military alliances, it would be nice if there was some diplomatic / political options added to them. Basically less NATO & more HRE.

Every time the federation presidency changes the new president could set an agenda for his term that effects every empire in the federation with a small positive & negative modifier until the next term. Don't like your energy poor competitors? Use the -energy + mineral policy, etc.

Once per term the current president could call for a vote to implement a new law. New laws would add new diplomatic options to the presidency, restrict policy options of members, influence member pop's ethics, change federation procedures for choosing the next president, etc. You could influence other empires to vote for/against a proposal by spending energy/influence. Costs would be modified by how many of a new strategic resource you have (like Shroud costs are modified by Zro) that you get by building expensive empire unique buildings or megaprojects (think future UN building, or Babylon 5 station).

You could slowly morph a basic federation into a thinly veiled autocracy ruled over by a dictator in all but name, a group of ideologically unified nations that eventually merge into one, or a commercially oriented free trade zone that shares strategic resources & prints money.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I don't know about you guys, but when developing my games once I have the aesthetics at an acceptable level I set the artists to Processing so my coders grow faster.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Fintilgin posted:

Probably controversial, but I'd love to see them drop the (admittedly cute) gimmick where the leaders speak their native language and have them speak English so that they could sell the character of each leader more. Three generic lines in sumerian gets real old real fast.

Having the leaders speak their native tongue makes financial sense. That's a lot of VO dialogue that no longer has to be localized into French, Spanish, German, Russian, etc.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

I've put in almost 100 hours but I still feel like I'm trying to get my sea legs. I've been trying to do a basic murder-blob playthrough but eventually I hit some snag. My most frequent problem is that I never get to a point where I always have a comfortable Energy surplus.

Also, what's the meta on what weapons to pursue?

The cost of having a large fleet sitting around is not having spare energy to terraform planets. Fortunately you can use your large fleets to acquire habitable planets rather then make them :)

And if you aren't already doing it, make one (or more) spaceports with all the -ship maintenance orbit modifier modules, and always dock your fleets there when not in use. Saves alot of resources.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, no, they should be Full Klingon. Give me Chancellor loving Gowron and his crazy motherfucking eyes and incomprehensible screaming line delivery! Christopher Plummer spinning in his chair, cackling out Shakespeare.

https://youtu.be/_XvYq8i6_9o?t=4m54s

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

After playing Distant Worlds, that doesn't look bad at all.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

That's one thing I never really understood about large scale RTS's (especially space RTS's). All the time spent making the models & effects really pretty helps them sell the game, yet the players who demand pretty spaceships spend almost no time looking at them. Too actually play these games well you have to spend 99% of your time zoomed out watching icons float around each other. You'd think that the market would have adjusted to favor games with minimal graphics, but that obviously hasn't happened.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Wafflecopper posted:

How's this game coming along? I played at launch and enjoyed the early game but then got bored and shelved it. Worth reinstalling and getting Utopia?

Utopia mostly adds stuff to the mid/late game, sounds like that's where you lost interest so I'd say give it a shot.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

Flak PD sounds like a straight upgrade over base PD which... eh.

Agreed. Sacrificing a medium slot for more PD was an interesting tradeoff and gave the option to ignore destroyers & go heavy on cruisers / battleships.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Tracking is just a counter to enemy evasion. The current to hit formula is:

Accuracy - (Evasion - Tracking), but the (Evasion - Tracking) can't go below zero. So against high evasion targets, bonuses to Tracking & Accuracy usually mean the same thing.

I think Stellaris flak is supposed to be WWII/Battlestar Galactica flak, just tons of cannons flinging exploding shells downrange designed to fill an area of space with shrapnel that isn't dangerous to large ships but will screw up lightly armored missile & fighters.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Thyrork posted:

Ugh, having to be the one doing the pampering would be the worst job.

Nah, I bet it would be like taking care of a dog except they know how to flush.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

It's probably to prevent you from dumping 1 domestic slave pop on a planet with 24 slaver race pops & still getting all the bonuses.

If you have to share your slaves with other people, then can you really say that you own them?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

How long does it take hivemind pops to die off after being severed from the collective?
If it's longer than 10 minutes then individual brains still posses control of bodily functions like breathing.
If it's longer than a week then individual brains still posses enough base instincts to let them look for food and shelter.
If it's longer than a month then individual brains still posses enough skills or knowledge to grow or hunt for food, operate simple mechanisms like door handles and buttons, etc.

I'd say a hivemind species' brain is an atrophied but not yet vestigial organ, almost as capable of reason as non-hivemind species' brains. However, having never experienced individuality hivemind pops are totally unprepared after being cutoff. Left with no focus or ambition and no ability to relate to each other severed pops listlessly carry out their previous assignments until accident or circumstance stops them and then they just wait to die.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Even presuming severed pops retain all knowledge relating to their profession, just the lack of a hierarchical organization in a super-specialized future society would lead to a slow but inevitable breakdown & die off. Doctors would still treat sick patients brought to them, farmers would still grow spacemelons, etc. but without someone/thing to prioritize resource allocation then every instance of scarcity no matter how minor would chip away at the system.

You cut yourself & whichever ambulance is assigned to your location brings you to it's central hospital, you might bleed to death waiting for the doctor to finish treating someone with a twisted ankle who was there ahead of you. A drought hits and farmers growing cotton get an equal distribution of water as those growing melons, now you have a (well dressed) famine.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

3 DONG HORSE posted:

No, they are already goons then turn into goons without internet. Like imagine if you had to go outside.

If goons could talk to other goons telepathically they wouldn't need SA. And if they lived in a Stellaris-esque future universe they wouldn't need EVE online.

That accounts for 98% of goon internet usage, I'd bet they'd be pretty much the same.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I think a way to improve ground combat would be to get rid of armies completely. Make transports into a new buildable class of ship. Planetary assaults now work like EUIV sieges. The number & power of combat ships in orbit works like the artillery in your EUIV army, and the number & power of transports works like the infantry. Planetary fortifications work like EUIV castles, planetary defense forces work like EUIV garrisons.

This way you could make multiple dedicated planetary assault fleets & park them over planets & forget them until they conquer the planet. Or you could make one massive fleet & micromanage it flying around manually assaulting planets after a few days of breaking initial fortifications.

Edit:

Bold Robot posted:

I would love to see things work more like EU4.

Beat me to it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Adding a morale stat and making fleets retreat when it hits 0 would be a simple solution. I don't think it would work to retreat individual ships from a battle, a better solution would be to have badly damaged individual ships stop firing & move toward the edge of the gravity well. If & when the fleet retreats with an emergency ftl, any ship that warps from the edge of the system doesn't take emergency ftl damage. So a retreat is still going to hurt, a fleet will probably lose some ships while they are running away from battle and lose a few more when emergency ftl'ing, but not half the fleet.

Plus fleet morale would add a new dimension to combat. Militarist empires gain a bonus & pacifist empires a malus, admirals could have reckless & cautious traits that increase/reduce morale but also make emergency ftl more dangerous/safer. Empire policies & fleet stances could be adjusted to change the damage level at which ships retreat. You could customize one fleet to be a wolfpack raider, running away whenever it encounters serious resistance to preserve all it's ships, and then get your doomstack to fight to the death.

It would save some micro to be able to queue up a smaller fleet to take out all your enemies' space stations and not have to worry about them suiciding themselves against a freshly built battleship you didn't notice.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Morale doesn't reflect how Space Janitor 1st Class Jimmy feels about their chances in the current battle, it reflects how Admiral Jimmy feels about their chances in the current battle. You know, the guy who actually is standing next to a giant red GTFO button.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

imweasel09 posted:

My fanatic purifiers game is making me realize how useless the cleanse planet war goal is. It costs more than cede planet and they'll probably just recoloize it in the 10 year truce.

This is something that could probably be fixed easily with a timed modifier to the planet that prevents colonization for 10 years.

Even better if it only prevented the cleansed empire from colonizing it, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

It would be nice if there were more indicators for planets in the process of terraforming, maybe have their outliner biome picture include a miniature picture of the biome type they are turning into in the bottom corner.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Still not really sure what a Gaia world is supposed to be. It's as livable to races of arctic dwelling dog people, sea dwelling shrimp people, and desert dwelling scorpion people as anybody else, so there either have to be alot of different biomes with lots more space than a typical planet...

...or the planet reconfigures itself tile by tile based on who's living there :aaa:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

I really wish there was something like EU's cores so empires and species would develop history and ties to specific worlds - just something simple so if humans were the first to colonize a planet, then human-run empires will want to see that world stay under human rule, and have reduced costs to take it back from aliens.

As long as cores disappear (or at least weaken) when you purge/expel all the original pops on the planet. I always looked at cores as being part foreign diplomatic acceptance of your historical hegemony, and part cultural ties with the populace which promote patriotic sentiment.

It's kind of hard to claim that Space Alsace-Lorraine always has been part of Space France & always will be when everyone who ever set foot there is now partially digested bio matter in the stomach of a xenomorph.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Eiba posted:

...some sort of ridiculously pro-life environment...

Hahaha, now I can't stop imagining a bunch of aliens picketing a literal Garden of Eden with signs that read "My Biome / My Choice".

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Anticheese posted:

Unintended feature. :colbert:

Emergent behavior :science:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Fintilgin posted:

Sucks. I'd rather see them buff the other picks.

The problem with buffing all the other options is then Unity becomes alot more valuable for your second / third / etc. ascension unlock. Right now a Unity focused empire gets one big boost by hitting Master of Nature earlier than other empires, but if the other picks were just as good they would keep getting those huge boosts into mid-late game compared to non-Unity focused empires.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

Certain synthetic empires can plug organic pops into the Matrix and harvest them for energy. It was in one of the earlier dev diaries.

Are we talking Matrix style harvesting chemical energy from regular humans (cause that's dumb), or Babylon 5 style exploiting another species telepaths cause they don't have any (cause that's awesome)?

Would be cool as a way for non-organics to access the shroud.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I think what they were going for was to make pausing unecessary. The only way to play a multiplayer game of CK2/EU4/Stellaris is to set a slow game speed and let it run, you can't have everyone pausing every time a building is finished or a battle fought. You can micro your first 4-8 planets yourself without pausing, but 20 or 30? Everytime you unlocked the next level of power plants you'd lose 3 in game months just clicking through each planet & upgrading everything, and that's a task which doesn't require any though put into it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

ugh its Troika posted:

I kind of want to try taking a crack at adding a Kelvin timeline submod for ST New Horizons, since the devs don't seem to be interested (and also because some ST nerds get mad about the jjtrek movies).

Shouldn't be too hard: increase ship speeds by a factor of 100, reduce shield hp by 75%, and turn up the bloom to max.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I don't think that a spacefaring people could forget some things while retaining others. In an age of automation & digital media, either you can access the internet (or whatever passes for it in the year 2525) and therefore can learn anything that has ever been known; or you can't and will starve to death because the egg collecting robot froze up and you can't tell a chicken from a chimney.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Bloodly posted:

The danger being that Minerals Control Everything(Potentially giving a real concrete advantage to the cold-lovers that can spiral) and mixed resources tend to be a pain because no building by default exploits the combos. So you tend to leave them clear.

Every category got 1 type of resource + 1 type of science, except for wet which also got mixed bonuses. Seeing as food was the least valuable resource I'd say that puts wet on par with cold. They also bumped up energy & food tile bonuses so maybe an average dry planet will produce about 125% as much energy as a cold planet produces minerals?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

You can implement your dick into my mouth

Is this the new way to insult people now that gay isn't a put down anymore? Offering blowjobs to your enemies?

Or is assuming your internet opponent is a man now an insult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I wish they gave us numbers but then again that's the kind of thing they can tweak right down to the wire.

Pretty sure they gave a rule of thumb power / cost tier scaling number a couple months ago in a dev diary. Might have changed since then, but not by much.

• Locked thread