Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wiz posted:

Screw ship design, what we really need to do is recode the game in visual basic.
This game still doesn't require a masters in electrical engineering to play properly - what is this lame rear end casual poo poo, Wiz? You've been project lead for now long and still haven't morphed this game into my vision?

Wiz posted:

The planet grid is... alright. It works but it's too micro-intensive, especially when you're upgrading a lot of buildings. I also don't like how it makes your planets feel like giant mines/farms rather than places people live. Reworking it is not out of the question but it'd be a pretty huge investment of time.
Ship debate aside, I hope the planets and the grid is something fleshed out in the future. I agree that it's strange that entire empires seem to rely solely primary resource extraction like mining and farming with no options to expand on what you do with all those minerals and food you're collecting but it needs to be something more in depth than just remaining 'mines' to 'factories' or 'power plant' to 'office'. Really, I think planets are one of the most ignored aspects of a 4X despite them playing such a critical part. I do hope you add in more options for customization and flavour in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Who really needs things like sunlight and open sky? Just get a full spectrum lamp and paint the ceiling blue and everyone will be right as rain. Right?

There's a lot of stuff being teased on right now in Twitter and the dev diaries. Looks like 1.5 is going to be adding a lot of flesh for this fleshing out phase of developmemt. Way more than we've seen in the past.

Hope they keep up the pace.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
While I suspect the UI is incomplete the oribitals we've seen so far (which appear to be two of the same type) look more like they count as settled planets rather than a ship or station. They also have no firepower rating like other stations. That makes me suspect they will be exempt from combat.

Makes me wonder if there will be more than one type, if/how the can be further modified and how they are supported if POPs do live on them. Wiz said in a tweet way back that he was a fan of a global food stockpile but there's been no word on whether it's also getting rolled out for Banks.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
How... did you not notice this?

It also has an effect on ethics divergence, migration and attraction to anti-government factions.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Heartcatch posted:

A robotic empire can't be unhappy!

Edit: Now I actually want to try a robot empire.

Well you're in luck! Soon you can (though I guess if you try hard enough you can also do that now, too).

But Synths do have happiness and ethics, unlike their robot and droid predecessors.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wonder if the robots could even pay for themselves with the penalty to energy production they suffer from, you'd need to find a lot of +energy tiles to help pay for everything and your fleet would probably suffer a lot for it. I'm also pretty sure the robot POPs can't colonize planets so you'd need to grow as much as possible before you started replacing everyone then start grabbing planets from your neighbours.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Are you sure it wasn't a droid, or that the original settler hadn't moved away? You cannot load robots on to a colony ship so something else would need to be there first.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Is there an option to go the other route and turn everything into the world from Equilibrium as well?

Or do we just uave to contend ourselves with We Happy Few?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't know if the mood altering pills from Equilibrium would necessarially stick people at 0% happiness, maybe just keep them at 50% so you never get any bonuses or any penalties but maybe they now really suck at research since they basically are stuck spending all day with a blank look on their face while they stare dead ahead.

Truga posted:

Is there any way to search for strategic resources on the map? I have pretty much the whole drat galaxy surveyed and I recently researched living metal and there's no drat way I'm finding it on the 1000 stars map.
There is no such map mode yet but Living Metal will only appear on ring worlds (broken or otherwise) so just look for one of those. Materialist FEs usually have a couple.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Zore posted:

I wonder if that's determined by city type or ship type?

Suspect the station itself tied to ship design where as the infopane graphics are tied to city like everything else planet related.

It looks like you build one just like colonzing any other planet. Wonder what benefits they will confer, aside from "here's a pop, but it's in space!" since it looks like it is otherwise self contained.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe I'm out of touch with the grognards, but that does not look like a 2-year old game that should cost $50

For true grogs the peak of PC simulation perfection was reached circa 1995 and there's no reason to ever move from that. Also, cutting prices over time is for the weak and those pandering to casuals - do you think the Mona Lisa ever went on sale at a discount?

edit:

GotLag posted:

Like train sims, it's aimed at cashed-up greybeards
Look, all the Train Simulator DLC I own was purchased when it was heavily discounted during a Steam seasonal sale... don't judge me :(

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 26, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think Wiz is just going to troll everyone and make a post full of huge.jpg images while elaborating on nothing in particular. That sounds like something he would do.

At the very least he started this diary out by saying Banks is a ways away so I don't think they would officially announce it just yet. It also sounds like orbitals are a paid feature of that expansion and not just something they're adding to the base game; which is hardly surprising.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wiz posted:

Keep in mind that they can be traded for, as well.

There is a trade - blood for terraforming liquid (and gas). Sounds fair to me.

Though usually it's your opponents blood and their terraforming gasses, so not so fair to them...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wonder if I can order one of my battleships to ram into this bad boy and shove it into the event horizon just to see what happens.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824682541370212352

In a galaxy where you can keep people in a blissfully unaware drunken stupor before you eat their balls, that's probably one of the more humane ways to meet your end.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I find that even at 100% there are often times where parts of the galaxy seem devoid of habitable planets or are just full of grabage planets that aren't really worth settling on. This often leads to huge areas where you're not able to exploit anything because there's no way to extend ypur influence through it, so it just sits unused.

The addition of terraforming barren planets should help with this, at least in the late game, but I often wish there were other ways to extend your borders, or at least exploit unclaimed resources, without having to spend a fortune on political influence points.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GlyphGryph posted:

Is this... bad?

I have found a bit of neutral unclaimed territory can often be a good thing.
Well, yeah if it leaves a massive patch of empty space that no one is able to exploit. The unever distribution of planets can also really screw over an empire if one of their neighbours is able to spread oit a bit more and cast their borders over more energy, minerals or strategic resources. It's not like empty space really does anything, either. It's just wasted.

Staltran posted:

Will habitats generate border pressure? If you can make an outpost, build a habitat and then delete the outpost that will really shake up the lategame in low planet% games.
Pops will expand your borders from inhabited systems, so probably?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

That's perfectly fair. Do you not do it to the AI? Alliances, defensive or otherwise should be a liability as well as a source of strength.

Seems kinda weird that this situation doesn't result in a Space WWI chain reaction, where by declaring on your smaller friend draws you in which in turn forces you into a defensive war and pulls in all your allies as well.

If you run around making defensive pacts with anyone and everyone you would still have the benefit of plenty of friends in a fight, but it would also leave you with the liability that if you start including weak and vulnerable members you could be pulled into neadless wars. So choose your friends carefully.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Why not just allow species to slwoly cross breed and create new species? Watch in real time as you new half horse/half stegosaurus race comes onto the scene. After 200-300 years of gameplay you'll have a whole galaxy full of nightmares running around.

How would that work in real life? Who knows but it sure would tie in nicely to any future eugenics DLC Wiz has planned.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wiz posted:

Maybe a post-apocalypse alternative to cockroaches? What would be the giant animal that's taken over though?

Godzilla and Mothra.

You know you want to add them now.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kitchner posted:

Weirdly knowing the next patch is so awesome has lead to me not playing the game, as I know I will sulk the entire time thinking "Wiz is fixing this soon. It would be much better then".

I was doing the same until just recently when I decided to just give this another quick spin.

Game is still plenty fun but I kept thinking to myself "man I'm going to have to relearn this stuff all over again in a few months".

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Hardly suprising but I can't quite see what's so utopian about that launch trailer...

I can't watch the stream since I'm at work but the webpage it links to shows a Dyson Sphere being built close enough to a star to incinerate everyone living there... looks like plenty of new space related constructs for this expansion. Now if only ot came with a release date.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Splicer posted:

It's the digital consciousness ascension. Those data banks are full of happy people doing happy things.

I'm watching it on a tiny, tiny screen nut I could see something shimmering, guess that's what the was. It actually reminded more of the 'Self-Aware Colony' wonder video from Alpha Centauri more than anything else.

Guess I'll need to wait for information to be disseminated through the day to see whats coming then watch the stream when I get home tonight.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
This week's dev diary is now up for those of you interested:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-59-megastructures.997705/

It discusses what will probably be the main feature of this expansion, the Megastructures themselves.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ringworlds (and Dyson Spheres) need to be built in 'planet rich' systems and even then can't be built around certain types of stars so not every system will be a candidate. And while I suspect a ringworld and Dyson Sphere may be mutually exclusive in one system it doesn't sound like there's a limit to what you can build otherwise. Just what your economy can support.

I wonder if you can build a sphere around a star in an inhabited system and kill everyone?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I routinely have 1 or 2 additional core sustems (especially if they have multiple colonizable planets) without much issue. Energy can get a little tight if the fleet is out and about but otherwise it's not a problem. Maybe that will change now that we have something to spend energy and minerals on though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wiz posted:

Allow me to explain the biggest problem with something like peaceful annexation of planets through culture: Everyone loves it when they're the one getting planets flipped to them... but when it's the other way around? Yeah, no, not so much.

This honestly only ever seemed like a mechanic that existed in the Civ and GalCiv gemes that existed for the player to exploit the AI with - if it was happening to you then you were probably doing something wrong.

That said, projecting borders and influence on this game is finikey enough as it is. I don't think it needs more random, impossible to predict or react to, stuff tacked on to it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
For those of you who missed the stream because you work normal business hours (ie. you work when America works) you can catch the repeat on the Paradox Twitch channel:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/119136373

Doesn't look like it's on their YouTube channel yet though. Maybe by sometime tomorrow?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In addition to the ship classes themselves you are also probably going to want to focus on power and drive tech so your ships move faster and you can afford to power all your shiny new gizmos.

From there it kinda depends on what your opponents are doing - try to stay current with weapon tiers but don't neglect shields and when you start unlocking cruiser and battleships you're going to want armour as well since it is much more effective when applied to them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'll second that question, it's really what use because I rarely get to into min-max with ship design.
I've never used the auto-design feature to be honest, so I can't really answer that. It's not because I think it's bad, it's just that I prefer to design things myself and may have different priorities than the computer does.

I'm sure it does a good enough job giving you something that works. Its the same aystem the AI empires use to design their ships IIRC.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

RabidWeasel posted:

These are new buildings right?

I think they're just renamed Power Plants and Power Hubs.

Good to know that in the future power stations and high tension lines also double as temples and sacred ground for neoliberals though.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 4, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
What do you think people mean by 'working together for the greater good'? That you'd actually get to enjoy the fruits of your labour?

No friend, you'll enjoy your just deserts in the heavenly afterlife. Conveniently after you're dead.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 5, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Some people examining this screenshot have mentioned that food now appears to be included in the resource bar at the top, along side minerals and energy. This is leading people to believe that food will become global resource in 1.5 though no one has offically weighed in on it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Serf posted:

I thought it was confirmed a while back that Food was becoming global?

Wiz has said he wanted to do as much but never confirmed when or how it was going to happen. Most people probably assumed it would come eith other interplanetary trade related 'stuff'. Looks like it would be sooner than we thought.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Archonex posted:

Otherwise building synthetics would just be an eventual catastrophe.
I believe after you research the Synthetic Personality Matrix tech and can set AI rights to full citizens you may get an event that allows you to fully integrate synthetics into your society (which means you can't ever change that law) but also prevents your snyth POPs from revolting in the event of an AI rebellion. Pretty handy to have, though in all my play throughs I've yet to have an AI rebellion.

Seems like the Prethoryn Swarm is the 'go to' crisis with the Unbidden coming in a distant second.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I just want to imagine there's this classic virgin volcano sacrifices going on in the name of a bored scientist. :allears:

To be honest if I found another race of creatures that looked like that I'd be herding them into active volcanoes, too.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Making contact with extra-dimensional beings worked wonders for the people in Half-Life, DOOM, WH40K, Event Horizon and countless other sci-fi settings. I really can't see what will go wrong here.

Also Wiz, for all the event pop ups that have '???' as a title can you please just change it to the :confused: smiley? Or just :psypop:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They added a fix in the last update that will randomly stick an anomoly to a previously surveyed planet/asteroid/star so you are a lot less likely to get stuck at the end of a chain.

I had finished a few of the chains before this fix was added but it was far, far more common to just get stuck with 3, 4 or 5 of the artifacts then just run out of things to examine. Or have the reward system spawn out of the blue if someone else was kind enough to finish it for you.

But now I'm also finding it a lot more common to find artifacts from multiple precursor chains, though only one quest will ever show up in the situation log.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Darkrenown posted:

So far in playing Utopia my favourite thing has been playing as space nazi humans, but accepting refugees from events. Then we eat them.

I don't think even the real Nazis went that far, man. Unless you are capturing delicious schnitzel people or something.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wiz posted:

No. Only habitable worlds, plus some barren worlds (like Mars) in Banks. Stellaris galaxies are really too large for everything to be colonizeable.

I'm kinda glad for this, not just because you could get overwhelmed with planets by the end of the game, but because it also keeps some variety in the galaxy.

Since the switch away from the 'planet wheel' to the current biome system I've found myself just terraforming everything to match my own species preference unless I happen to find another species I can take control of and early on and use them to expand as well. The gene modification tech usually comes too late in the game to be of much use since I often find myself researching terraforming techs early on and since I usually have more energy than I know what to do with it's not too hard to start switching things to what I want.

Would be nice if there was some variety in planet's appearances but I get that it could cause issues with things like 'what is this' at a glance. Or confusing players into thinking they're somehow different when it's only purely cosmetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Given Wiz has been around on SA for a while, I'm not surprised tbh. But if you think this is bad, there's a lot worse types around CK2/EU4 on Twitter.

He managed turn posting on the forums and wasting time on Twitter into part of his job... living the Goon dream. God speed, Wiz.

• Locked thread