Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are habitats a good place for biotrophy storage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's a Paradox game so eventually you will just buy all of them anyway.

I would wait until the Armageddon DLC comes out since the others might be on sale.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

appropriatemetaphor posted:

When you capture a starbase from an enemy, will the model change? It'd be pretty cool if it didn't, and like you'd end up with all these obviously conquered starbases. Like DS9 being a Cardassian station run by the Feds.

This would be cool, although upgrading it would likely pose problems.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Will the new Mastery of Nature benefit apply to ever planet you colonize, or only ones you have once you grab it? What happens if the planet is captured by someone else?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gyshall posted:

Do you get the key day 1 because I really want to give wiz more monies

Pretty sure you get it before Day 1.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What does "Paradox version" mean?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wish the Precursor stuff was done better. Either cut the number of required systems in half so it's more likely to be accomplished, or make it a grand part of the game with a massive role similar to the role Protheans played in Mass Effect.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splicer posted:

Trading for artefacts in general could be cool. Ramp the number up dramatically but allow players to trade with other empires for their artefact data. AI empires could "cheat" and just get given a precursor mcguffin every few decades to trade away. The enclaves could also have purchasable knowledge. Make finishing the chain a much bigger deal, with cybrex-level rewards and possibly a mid-game crisis.

Artifacts providing a minor empire-wide bonus would be kind of cool. I also would love to see the same for derelict ships; either you add them to your fleet or you get a "derelict ship" modifier which acts as a source of research.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loel posted:

Found this game in my steam library and thinking of trying it out, any required DLC or mods?

I like them all.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeah I'm confused about mega structures. Like the orbital habitat is good, not too expensive, has good benefit. But I've got a Dyson sphere platform just sitting there because I forgot it's 50,000 minerals to build 1 stage...at the time I was at maybe +300 so said forget it never going to happen. Have around +1k now but even then it's a half decade of sitting on very fast building nothing.

Yeah this. The only time I've finished a Dyson is post-end game crisis where my fleet cap was maxed out already and had nothing to do. The cost of building it, and to a lesser extent the other structures, is just too great.

The Science Nexus at 30k isn't too bad, I think 20-30k is a reasonable amount.

I like the idea of having a megastructure "tax" so that you aren't sitting around until you get 50,000 minerals, but instead get to watch them slowly build over time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splicer posted:

So with a Dyson you'd pay the 10K for the site, then another 240K in a continuous drain. Cap it at a max of 250 a month so it still takes a minimum of 80 years from start to finish, with Master Builders doubling the amount you can dump per month. Keep the current tiers but have them kick in automatically when they reach the relevant stages of completion. Events could fire that give you construction bonus mineral dumps that get spent one for one with production, like how research rewards work.

------------

WIZ semi-unrelated to Megastructures chat: Mega-Engineering has a x2 research card chance if you have Master Builders, but Master Builders gives you Mega-Engineering. I mean it's not really hurting anyone but...

Pretty much. Maybe give the player a bit more freedom than 250 a month, but definitely flesh them out more than "spend 50K instantly make progress".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Forums are being all wonky this morning but have come back just in time for today's diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-103-civic-ascension-perks-changes-and-additions.1067730/

Some very powerful late game stuff coming in 2.0 along with making your decisions more distinct.

Nihilistic Acquisition is going to be a mandatory perk for my Rogue Servitors.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

They should add some benefit for # of unique bio-trophies. Travel around the galaxy hunting for rare mammals and bird-men.

I would like this. At the very least it could be a diplomacy bonus.

Pampering our People +5

Abducted our People -20

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Which is the greater good? To declare a world to be holy, and enjoy its splendor from afar, or to pack that world to the brim with pampered sentients and allow them to enjoy a life of ultimate luxury?

I now see the idea of Rogue Servitors kidnapping random beings to install them on the literal paradise worlds that they refuse to step foot on the grounds of it being holy land to be the most hilarious thing imaginable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

Yet more evidence (as if any were needed) that Rogue Servitors are the most entertaining empire type.

Wiz please consider adding an achievement called "Be Our Guest" where you kidnap someone to put them in a paradise dome.

Also add an "Overbearing Caretakers" AI type who enthusiastically raid other species in order to obtain more people to serve.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fantastic in plastic posted:

Thanks, this is helpful. If I wanted to run wild with the specialized planet idea, would it make sense to have, say, 1 planet that's all food, 1 planet that's all science, and then diversify the rest between energy and minerals?

I believe the idea configuration has planets dedicated to minerals, habitats dedicated to energy, and I forgot what for research.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
We're done here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

It seems that machine empires can't get Sapient Combat Computers, except by salvaging wrecks of empires that have them, because machine empires can't research Positronic AI, and there's no alternative pre-requisite.

This feels like an oversight.

You would think they would start with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ChaseSP posted:

Being able to declare a set species as sworn blood enemies that must be expunged would be p. great. War on them all and woe those that would house these vermin.

That would be amazing, especially if combined with a faction that can only be appeased by killing Pops of the blood sword enemies.

Or maybe an entire ethos surrounding it. Every pop that's exteriminated gives a unity bonus, and when the job is done the ethos changes to something unique.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Soonmot posted:

Huh, I feel I wasted an ascension slot on synthetic supremacy. There really aren't any robot traits I want that I didn't take at creation.

It's a big waste. I prefer the Machine World one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't think setting hyperlanes to their max will be quite the same but in time I'm sure everyone who misses warp will learn to love it.

Anyway, this week's diary with a few last minute details. Next week is all the patch notes and changes.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-104-cherryh-feature-roundup.1068825/

I fail to see how Rapid Deployment isn't vastly superior to the other options.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Psychotic Weasel posted:

At a glance that is my feeling as well. But having not been in a position to play with all the changes to see how things work out it may not be the case in every situation.

We can find out for ourselves in 2 weeks!

I'm sure there are subtleties that I'm missing and I'm excited to find out how wrong I am.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm less interested in the range and more interested in the ability to rapidly redeploy my fleet in a version that significantly increases the importance of speed since you now have to slowboat across systems to get to each jump point.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Demiurge4 posted:

Enigmatic would be cooler if it meshed really well with the new fluff for spiritual and increased your chances to getting weird psionics tech.

I think that would be great. Give it an additional bonus to rolling rare and dangerous techs equivalent to a Spark of Genius scientist, but at the expense of preventing all Research Agreements.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flipswitch posted:

I'm slowly learning to play this game, but how do i capture planets? I set a war goal to Liberate XYZ, sent armies after bombing the poo poo out of them, the war ended and they still have their planet?

I don't play Paradox games because I'm a simpleton.

Liberate means you set them free. You want the other war goal (I forgot the name). You also need to make sure that the demands a met in the peace agreement; if you're accepting the AI offer they probably asked for a white peace or something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GunnerJ posted:

If there's one thing I don't like about hyperlanes, it's that you can see the whole galaxy-wide network of them right from the start. I get that this makes sense from a gameplay standpoint but personally I'd like it if you have to at least travel to a system before discovering where its hyperlanes lead to. But I get that this is probably better for a mod than core game design.

I really, really, really like this idea and hope that at some point it's an option.

Wiz posted:

Maintaining multiple implementations of the same feature in the codebase is not a good idea. Plus, axing the other types allowed us to consolidate pathfinding/sensor code and improve performance via caching.

Look at this guy tightening up his code and implementing best practices to ensure the long term stability of his game. Clearly somebody knows nothing about game development.

I've said it before, but thanks again Wiz for having the confidence to make such a major change and follow through with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

The best thing it did, however, is that on steam you can click on anyone's name and look up their profile which gives you all sorts of information about what they play and how long :v:

So yes, it's a direct screenshot from their page, they played it 80 hours this week, 760 hours total, and were robbed. Click the period at the end of the first sentence if you want.

You know I can't blame the guy for being disappointed. Maybe Stellaris really was perfect for him just the way it was. Clearly he liked it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bloody Pom posted:

It's up! :holy:

Release trailer seems to follow up from the announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AssQqRk3qQM

Which ship style is that at 1:03?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

Those are Marauder/Pirate ships.

Eagerly awaiting the mod that lets me choose that style for my own guys.

• Locked thread