Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Mister Adequate posted:

Austrians and Germans are the same thing :colbert:
Literally Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Whilst we're talking about planet surfaces, I think it'd be an improvement if different planet types had different tile bonuses. If desert planets had more, and larger energy bonuses whilst say arctic planets had mineral ones, then you'd have an interesting choice in-game. Do you ignore your tile bonuses and stay self-sufficient, or find a neighbour with a different planet type and trade with them- making you both better off, at the cost of your economies now being intertwined. If they ever find another energy supplier, though... they can switch, and now they know you can't afford to build a fleet up. Getting extra species is now a big deal, and terraforming isn't a no-brainer as soon as you have the energy.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Zore posted:

He said yeah as a cap so you can't just literally spam them everywhere.
Not quite- he was responding to the snowball problem, where more orbitals = more resources = you can build orbitals faster, and it becomes a runaway thing that no-one else can catch up with. As influence gain doesn't scale with pops, you can't get this runaway effect- an empire with no orbitals can build more at the same rate as one with 20.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I hope hope hope to god that they don't have this ascension path be 'You are actually in a simulation!'. That was the thing that soured me the most on No Man's Sky.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Roland Jones posted:

I doubt that's it. It seems more like entering a realm like where the Unbidden come from, or, since this update is named after Banks, Sublimation. "Ascend to a higher plane of existence" and all that.
Yeah, I trust Paradox but given the reference I was a little bit suspicious.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I know, but it's hackneyed and doesn't sit well when you are actually playing a simulation. It breaks the fourth wall in a way that it doesn't when it comes up in a book.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Coolguye posted:

whether the robots require this or not is not the point of this question
Oh man, if you can trade food between empires imagine getting to Synths and then having them keep their creators as Utopian-standard of living Livestock. 'Yes, they all lived long and happy lives and died of natural causes'.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

OwlFancier posted:

It'd also be a bit weird to have a bug hive and a dictatorship using the same ethos.
Sure but as it stands social democracies (a la Trek's Federation), bug hives and military dictatorships all share the same ethos.

The real issue is that superorganisms like bug hives don't fit into a model that has each empire being made up of many independent pops. Your superorganism can be Individualist in its interactions with other species/superorganisms no problem for example.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Talking about primitives, I think it'd be more interesting if the rate of early-game colonisation was slowed down so they were actually more of a thing early-game.

As it stands, there's not much impact to it. Enlightening should be a risk/reward thing, but at the moment you spend 20-40 years and risk getting a fanatical purifier who poses no threat and just steals a few systems worth of mining stations, or your reward is a useless vassal that you can integrate in another 10+ years for one planet and a species (when you've probably gotten one for their niche via migration treaties by now). Infiltration and invasion are far more interesting ways of dealing with primitives, as you either get a world (and new species) straight away, or wait 10-20 years to get one without the Recently Conquered penalty- but in both cases they come at the cost of the Culture Shock debuff.

Maybe the flat bonuses per empire/vassal in the Domination & Diplomacy trees will make primitives more worthwhile. It just seems like it'd be neat to raise species with similar ethics to you up to provide you with handy allies, but since they have to be in your territory to do it anyway... I wonder if letting you do it as a science ship project would be better?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
That's neat. Presumably genetically-engineering Delicious in is the equivalent of teching-up your Hydroponics farms. Plus I wonder if they still give 5 food when they're just regular livestock, not being purged... even at 4, non-delicious species aren't actually going to be much use as livestock which I guess makes sense.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Wiz posted:

The fluff text explains they're also very nutritious, and yes it's used in genemodding. If you've gone down the biological ascension path you can genemod a species to be delicious and nerve staple them so they're not sad about being eaten.

Can it be picked at species creation? +10 food/pop would put a neon 'conquer me' sign over your species...

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

GotLag posted:

I don't want to do that :(

These guys are the liberated portion of the annoying racist religious starfish who'd been my rival since game start, and my federation pals and I just finished carving them up.

Speaking of, when you liberate systems(s), the newly-formed governments have the ethos of the liberator, but the populace does not. Is there a pacifism-compatible way of changing this, even if it takes a while?
Not really. As of Banks, you could presumably give them huge quantities of free minerals so they can afford to up their population's standard of living, which should make them happier and thus more attracted to the Empire ethics.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

GunnerJ posted:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/834386565577207808

Seems that this is what replaced Exterminatus Armageddon Bombardment in the Supremacy tree.
Nah, that's replaced the previous The Great Game which was +1 rival/+25% influence gain from Rivals. I hope you can still get Armageddon bombardment from the tree.

Actually I wonder how this perk interacts with Fanatic Purifiers? I assume they must still be able to assign Rivals, though it seems a bit pointless as everyone already hates you.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

GunnerJ posted:

I just re-read that post about missiles and PD being gobbledegook and it bothers me so much. It's a problem that it doesn't seem like a mod can really address. The best efforts seem to entail upping both damage and lowering rate of fire to reduce overkill, but this has its own problems when it takes 17 seconds for each missile to fire. I think I'd have less of a problem with it if you had more weapon options early game... actually, I've been thinking more and more about the way starting weapons work and it just doesn't make sense to me. Typically you can get at least one other type before you have to go to war (IME), so why even bother restricting it to one type to begin with.
I really want a weapon setup like Sword of the Stars. It had enough different and interesting weapons that the %age-based tech tree (where you might find some branches inaccessible) locking you out of some research was interesting as you could swap to a different tech- but often at a higher level, as there were multiple sideways links between branches.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Aethernet posted:

Hmm. Immortal leaders and everyone gets a Synth-equivalent boost - looks like cybering is way better than fleshy stuff. Probably should boost Erudite to 25%. Making slaves delicious is handy if you're a xenophobe though, I suppose.
It looks like there's a huge efficiency hit though. For starters, food looks like it's available in higher quantities than energy is (nerve-stapled delicious livestock vs a level 4 power plant, even with a level 2 nexus) *and* you don't end up ignoring 1/3 of tile bonuses. That huge research boost will be eroded away by the need to devote more real estate to keeping your pops alive. Plus, what happens in the lategame when you build a massive fleet you can't afford to take out of the docks for too long? A brownout during a war isn't a huge problem when it just lowers your research, but when it raises unrest across your entire empire....

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Subspecies shuffling micro hell is definitely an issue, but possibly one you could fix by giving species with Strong/Thrify/whatever happiness bonuses when working a tile that matches their bonus? Then they'd move between planets automatically- Agrarians preferring to occupy a farm on a colony to being forced into researching on a developed world.. If you did that, you could even add a 'Really low intervention' policy to disable the ability to shuffle pops around on a planet and just rely on happiness to get it done.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Taear posted:

I had no idea being gluten free was a fad diet, it must not have caught on here in the UK yet.
You must be from the North.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Thyrork posted:

They really were. I have a soft spot for the Kultorask, the Vasari Rebel's titan, and how great it was for devouring entire fleets while keeping itself and its allies fully repaired. :magical:

It helped that the thing itself looked like some kind of cosmic horror, and the rebels were the good guys.

The next best thing was the Human designed ultimate(?) kinetics Dreadnoughts in Sword of the Stars, which looked like this:

And yes, the six cylinders rotated as you fired asteroids at your problems. :allears:
Y'know... I'm tempted to see if you can port the SotS2 models to Stellaris. They share the same 3-segment format, they were amazingly well done (unlike the rest of the game) and Kerberos seem to be dead so there's probably no chance of getting C&D'd.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Sibling of TB posted:

I think there was activity on their forums by the developers about remaking SOTS1, so may still be defending their IP.
That's promising, though they may be wildly optimistic about their odds of working with Paradox again...

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Demiurge4 posted:

It would be nice if there was some way to keep colonists on new planets. So even if I colonize a lovely 20% habitability planet with my main species they'll stick around until I gene mod them. Call it colonial spirit or something. In fact, just disallow migration offworld while it still has the disassembled colony ship, that'll fix it.
Turn off free migration or enslave them? You're exporting people to barely-livable hellholes for forced genetic engineering- you can't expect to do that in a perfectly free society.
Either that, or wait for all your more livable planets to be full so they have no choice.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Are there any mods that concentrate sector shipbuilding at the sector capital planet?
It's an absolute faff to go around ordering a dozen worlds to build ships, and it seems like it'd be a sensible streamlining to just have a sector capital have construction speed for a ship class = base speed * (number of starports of high enough level to build that class in the sector). I guess it'd be a little unbalanced as it wouldn't be *quite* the same- a vanilla 10-planet sector building in parallel would produce 10 battleships after 10 months, whilst a concentrated sector would produce 1 per month for 10 months. Still, I think the balance changes would be massively outweighed by the convenience.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Dog Kisser posted:

Sorry to keep spamming pictures, just playing with colour differences.
I think the yellow one could do with a darker plating, like the red?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

GlyphGryph posted:

It might only be something defensive players do at the beginning of the game, or something you do with a handful of patrol ships to tie up enemy invaders rather than a major portion of your fleet

Anyway if it doesn't work meaningfully it would be easy enough to ignore, still interested in seeing how it plays out.
The Hivers in SotS basically worked like this. Their ships were tougher, cheaper and more heavily-armed than everyone else's as a consequence. They were a wormhole race where you could teleport between any two systems with stations instantaneously, no range limits- they could be *anywhere* on the defence. The downside was if you wanted to get to a new system (e.g. to set up a gate), you had to slowboat there over a decade and hope the enemy couldn't kill your fleet before you set up a gate and brought in your armada.

If Wormhole worked more like that, it'd be interesting- but the different timescale for the game sort of precludes it.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
What we've seen really makes Hive Minds look like a good beginner's race. Simple, straightforward, even the civics are a little bland.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Are there any guides to how to script for Stellaris? The language is really different from anything I've seen before and I'm sort of baffled by it. I want to create a mod that consolidates a sector's shipbuilding power in the capital- iterating over each planet in each sector. I mean, I'd prefer to add stuff about starport levels and whatnot but frankly I'll settle for anything working. I *think* I want something like this, that iterates over each planet in a sector each month and applies a month-long +build speed modifier to the sector capital:
code:
every_sector = {
    if = { 
        limit = { is_core_sector == 0 }
        every_planet = {
            if = {
                limit = { is_capital == 0 }
                    capital.add_modifier = {
                    modifier = planet_ship_build_speed_mult 
                    value = 1.0
                    days = 30
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
But was unsure how to trigger it. I think if it was a country event I could trigger it on a month's delay as 'country_event = { id = mynewid.01 days = 28 }'? With some kind of one-off event at the start of the game that sets it going? Or is this completely the wrong way to go about it?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I've just made a mod to try and replicate the SotS Zu'ul playstyle (trash your planets to get bonus production, and keep on moving), and I want to run the numbers by y'all.

It adds a new policy type, sustainability, with 3 settings.
  • Sustainable Development: No change.
    Only choice for Environmentalist or Conservationalists
  • Overharvesting: +10% food/energy/minerals, but creates a permanent, unremovable tile blocker on each colony average every 20 years. If a planet fills up, it turns into a barren world/broken ringworld section/asteroid if a habitat because I can't figure out how to delete them.
    Selected by default by Wasteful or Nomadic empires
  • Extreme overharvesting: +20% food/energy/minerals, but creates a tile blocker on average every 10 years.
    Selected by default by Wasteful, Nomadic empires

On extreme, your starting planets will basically be gone by 100-150 years in so +20% seems like a fair trade, I think? I'm just spitballing and would like some other eyes on the numbers. Not sure if I should restrict Sustainable Development such that Wasteful species can't use it either- it would make it impossible to play a tall Wasteful species and that seems a bit much. Plus, at the moment the blocker will kill any pops on it when it appears, not sure if I should try and force them to relocate.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 14, 2017

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Gadzuko posted:

This sounds really cool. Ideally I would say pops should relocate and maybe provide some kind of refund on starbases when the planet dies? Otherwise it's kinda rough spending all those minerals to start over if you want to maintain naval production.
Added a 50% rebate on starbases, though the level is determined in a kind of janky way... (by what ship size dockyard it can hold). This game has an absolutely bizarre scripting system. I'm trying to get pops moving at least to within the same planet, but it's really counterintuitive. There's no 'get the pop on this tile' function. No 'get the species of this pop'. No 'if/else', even! Only ifs.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Right, just released my overharvesting mod: here on the workshop.

Description is:

quote:

Ever wanted to play a devouring horde of galactic locusts, that sweep across the galaxy leaving nothing but burnt-out husks in their wake? Or how about just playing as wasteful, environmentally unfriendly consumerists who push their worlds beyond their limits in order to get an edge?

Sustainability.
Overharvest adds a new policy option, Sustainability, with three possible settings, that can be used by both you and the AI:
  • Sustainable Development No bonuses or penalties.
    Only option available to Environmentalists or Conservational species.
  • Overharvesting +10% Food/Energy/Minerals
    Creates an unremovable tile blocker on each planet on average once every 24 months.
    Default policy for Nomadic or Wasteful species
  • Extreme overharvesting +20% Food/Energy/Minerals
    Creates an unremovable tile blocker on each planet on average once every 12 months.
    Default policy for Nomadic, Wasteful species
Tile blockers will appear on uninhabited tiles first, even overwriting other blockers, but eventually they'll fill up your entire planet... and when they do, it'll switch to an uninhabitable world/broken ringworld section/destroyed habitat. If the planet had a spaceport, you'll receive a roughly 50% refund on it.

Balance
This is a first draft, so if you discover the bonuses are too much/not enough, I'm open to feedback!

My rough working: The average lifetime of a tile on a size 15 fully overharvested world is going to be about ~150 years, so a +20% bonus will probably clock in at about 1000 extra food/minerals/energy over its lifetime. Conversely, a fully-upgraded building destroyed by a blocker will probably waste about 300 minerals worth of investment. Does the ~+700 balance the cost of losing pops/unique buildings and having terrible, unproductive planets in the lategame dragging up tech and unity costs? I'm tempted to up the buff for extreme overharvesting.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Reveilled posted:

Nice, well done! Does the unremovable nature of the blockers persist through terraforming? Also have you done any testing to see how the AI handles it? I have humans set up in my games as Nomadic, Adaptive and Wasteful, so I imagine there'd be fun times ahead.
Nope, the idea is that if you catch the planets before too late you can rescue them from total environmental collapse. I think technically overharvesting, abandoning somehow then terraforming *might* be more efficient than not terraforming but I don't think so. It doesn't look like I can increase the terraforming cost per-planet or block it for overharvested planets, unfortunately.
Haven't extensively tested how the AI handles it- I do know it will sometimes generate Wasteful/Nomadic races that try to play tall and they'll be doomed in the long run.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The fact that you didn't capitalize the second words in the various titles there triggers me on some sad, pathetic level.
Ah, I'll fix that.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Sounds great, though I'm a bit confused by some of the wording; both Overharvesting and Extreme Overharvesting are defaults for the same civic types?
One is either trait, one is both traits.

IDOLA posted:

Is there any weighting for how full of pops a planet is in the calculation for how long it takes for a tile blocker to be added? The more a planet is worked the more quickly a blocker would generate, i would think.
Nope, flat per planet. If it was per pop in order to get a roughly 100-150 year productive lifetime for planets you'd end up with a long tail where the planet was nearly useless (down to 2-3 pops) but would take hundreds of years to be totally destroyed.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Lprsti99 posted:

Does -migration attraction make it more likely that pops will emigrate in addition to making it less likely that they will immigrate?

Follow-up, is there a way you could make planets get a stacking -migration attraction effect as the blockers spawn?
Hmm, interesting idea. I'll look into it.

Also thinking of adding a 'Planetary Liquidation' edict and tech to unlock it that creates a blocker once per year but gives a flat +10 food/minerals/energy. So when a planet is almost gutted, you can finish it off quickly.

On a non-Overharvest topic:

It turns out xenos being purged count as free xenos, not slaves, for the purposes of xenophile attraction. In my game, the resulting xenophile faction randomly selecedt the leader of my Fanatic Purifier empire as the faction leader...

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm probably just blind but how the hell do I purge pops from a planet? I don't want to kill all of them, just a few, but there's no obvious button to do it. Under Set Rights there's a purge type dropdown that helpfully tells me the pop is not being purged.
You can't any more. Whole species only. If you want to deal with pops of a particular faction, you have to suppress them instead.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Just finished another mod: Sector Shipyards. Lets you centralise production of armies and ships in sectors to their capitals, to make building fleets lategame less of an absolute ballache. It's up on the workshop here.
Description:

quote:

Annoyed by building fleets when you have multiple sectors? Wish you could compete with the AI's micromanagement of ship production? Look no further!

Sector Shipyard Centralisation
Sector Shipyards adds a new policy, Sector Shipyard Centralisation. When enabled, then for each sector with a governor:
  • Sector Capital
    Gains a +50% bonus to ship and army production per spaceport in the sector.
  • Sector Planets
    Suffer a -50% penalty to ship and army production speed.
With centralised production, an empire of dozens of planets is almost as easy to run as one with 3-4. Just hotkey your sector capitals and build everything from there!

Q&A
Why not 100%?
To avoid messing with the AI. Sector AI will still be able to build defence armies and constructors.
What about spaceport level?
All levels grant the same bonus. This is because managing build speed for individual ship types isn't possible- we can only reduce build time, which is impractical to work with and would clash with leader traits that edit build time for different ship classes.

Next, I'm thinking of making Ascension Milestones, that'll award ascension perks for hitting some milestones, designed to help wide empires not be completely blocked out of ascension. I only want a few milestones, and I'm thinking:
  • Survive 100 years
  • Settle 20 colonies
  • Conquer an AE homeworld/kill a Leviathan
Any other ones? I think making sure every playstyle can unlock maybe 2 extra is a good idea, and I think this covers both peaceful and aggressive wide empires.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

BenRGamer posted:

Precursor or other rare/lengthy event chains, mapping the entire galaxy, be the most populous species in the galaxy, be at peace for X years, conquer X other empires, founding/joining a federation,
Precursor chains and founding a federation are good ones. The others are maybe too large-scale, as these should be ways to get ascension perks before end-game.

I was thinking of eventually doing a 'Win Conditions' mod that let you pick one of a few random win conditions at the start. So you might get offered 'Most populous'/'Scan all systems'/'>25% of planets in the galaxy are Gaia worlds or Ringworlds' and pick one. That would probably take ages to actually make, though.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Modding question: Has anyone figured out a way to check what modules a ship has? I can't seem to find out how to, say, set a flag so you know a science ship has one particular type of lab- I'm trying to add propaganda ships that influence the ethics attraction of the systems they pass through. I tried creating a new ship class just seems to default it to being military rather than civilian (even with is_civilian = yes).

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Mister Adequate posted:

I admit, though the other stuff is questionable, dividing planets into sectors for ground combat seems like an idea that might have value.
Not lategame when you're invading 8-9 planets and managing multiple fleets.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Splicer posted:

Does ship behaviour adjust for loadouts at all? If I have a ship covered in mainly long range stuff will it try to kite more compared to something with a bunch of short range?
No, it's set per class (unless you use mods). Destroyers and Battleships always hang back, Cruisers and Corvettes always rush forward

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

DatonKallandor posted:

What makes SotS work is that combat is the focus of the game. You have control in the fights. That's why the ship designer is as deep as it is in SotS. Stellaris has about 70% of the complexity of that ship designer, but with zero control over fights (and almost no interesting combat techs).
I really regret that they never spun the SotS2 ship designer/combat layer out into a game of its own. It looked interesting and the art was amazing.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Aethernet posted:

New lebensraum policy tweet:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/893432724446482432

This is sensible, as many of the changes in the patch are about moving a primary species to a slave planet for optimisation purposes. However, it does mean - for robots - you're going to need to manually build pops on your core planets throughout the game. Just give us growing robots already.
A mod could easily add a policy that handles it. Once per month, for each planet, if stockpiles are > X, and no robot pops are building, build a robot. Maybe add a 'On a free mine/farm' option. Shouldn't be too messy- maybe one 5-option policy? 500/mine, 500/any, 2000/mine, 2000/any, off.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mentally rename "Unity" to "mental hold" then. It represents your ability to shape and change the hivemind as a whole. You need more as your population grows because, well, duh, the hivemind is bigger and more and more spread out, so you require more mental hold over them.
Or take it as 'influence' = attention and 'unity production' = effort on personal development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Ramadu posted:

as a guy with the tiniest budget ever how much is the new dlc? I went to the steam page to see and it doesn't have a price? I guess I am glad its free, that fits in my budget.
£7 if you're in the UK, which is very generous. Paradox realising we've suffered enough, perhaps.

• Locked thread