Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I really enjoyed Stellaris initially but the lack of stuff to do in the mid/late game turned me off. This latest patch/DLC looks awesome and I even tried out a game on the current 1.4 patch to see if I could get my space legs back. I had a few questions though:

1. I created a custom race "The Human Remnant" who are a super militaristic but weakened and broken human race left behind after the rest of humanity fled Earth due to climate change. I turned Earth into a desert planet, but I really think it'd be neat to make it a tomb world instead and give the race the tomb world adoption tech. Can't figure out a way to do that. I also created a custom race for the humans that fled. Is there anyway I can force a game to spawn them as a Fallen Empire? They're the natural non-crisis boss of a game so it'd be nice if they weren't annexed 20 years in by space foxes.

2. What's the best fleet strategy now? I remember back in 1.0 the only thing you needed to do was spam corvettes but I tried that and got my rear end kicked. Does weapon/shields/armor choice matter? I just had the auto-builder do it because I remember customization being a huge PITA in 1.0

3. Any tips for empire building? Right now the only thing I know is that you really don't want to go into the negative with anything but I can't figure out which resources and research I should prioritize.

4. Any cool custom empires you all can recommend using/creating? It'd be neat to have the game filled with more races with unique backstories.

5. Any good ironman-compatible mods? I have to play all Paradox games in ironman mode so I'm not tempted to cheat and for the achievements so I have something to work towards, although maybe in a 4X game that's not as much of a problem since there are win conditions. I guess regular mods are worth it too if you know of any good ones. It's hard to tell what's good and what isn't from the Workshop

6. This is probably a huge stretch, but is there any way to get an accurate-ish Milky Way galaxy for a game map? Obviously we haven't mapped all the stars in the galaxy but putting famous stars near where they actually are would be cool. Obviously this means you'd have to have Sol but I'm cool with that. I really enjoyed Freespace for this because it made the whole thing feel more "real"

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So wait, is starving out the enemy now possible?

I kinda wanna take my custom Human Remnant militaristic/xenophobic empire and use it to just starve planets to death instead of invading because I never really "got" ground combat in Stellaris.

dog so i don't get probated:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So i played a bunch of Utopia/Banks last night and drat, I'm impressed. Got a bit of a problem though.

I'm playing my xenophobic/militaristic Fallen Human empire and I'm right up against a bunch of evil plants that are coincidentally also xenophobic/militaristic and they hate my guts. As a result they declare war on me and seem to utterly crush me. Had to reload the game a few times now and every time I lose. The best strategy I've had so far is to build spaceports everywhere and pray they don't decide to start harassing my mining operations in other systems. I have 3 colonized systems, they have 3 (or 4, I can't tell) and our fleet power is about equal with them having a slight edge (something like 1.4k to 1.5 or 1.6k).

Does anyone have any tips on fleet composition?

-I have corvettes only, red lasers, blue lasers, missiles, level 1 armor, level 1 shields, level 1 reactors, level 2 engines, level 2 combat computers, and afterburners.

-He also only has corvettes but has kinetic weapons, shields, armor(?) and I have no idea what else.

I had been running missiles with afterburners, no shields and as much armor as I can manage but I'm still getting my rear end kicked. Any ideas?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rakthar posted:

They got a bunch of buffs, I don't think anyone has reported any combat results since the patch. You can be the guy that finds out if they are terrible still or not, but they should be stronger - faster ROF, more missile damage, shorter firing animation, shot doesn't get 'wasted' if target dies during firing animation.

I'm using them right now because the very angry, militaristic, xenophobic plant monsters next door have strong shields and my lasers aren't doing poo poo to them.

I'm still losing...but not as badly as I did when I used lasers.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So a question on fleet/weapon composition: how do you figure out what to do? I've got level 4 kinetic weapons, the void cloud lightning and the level 1 plasma thrower and I'm still getting out-classed fleet-wise by similar sized empires next to me. I just unlocked battleships so I have all the flee techs but I keep on losing. Is there a set ratio of battleships:cruisers:destroyers:corvettes you should aim for?

Also is there any reliable way to raise the fleet cap other than building spaceports? I'm at 110/85 right now and I'm still about 2.5k short of my rival's fleet size and I have no idea what to do because I can't sustain the 40ish energy credit deficit. Do spaceport upgrades do anything? I've been avoiding using them because all they seem to do is give slots and I only need 2 spaceports to be actively building things.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ulmont posted:

Things that increase fleet cap:

1. Building spaceports. Each spaceport level gives more naval capacity, from +2 at level 1 to +15 at level 6 (so upgrading from 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 is better than building a new spaceport). In particular remember you can upgrade spaceports in your sectors.

:stare: Spaceport upgrades give fleet cap? I am so dumb...

Thanks for this info! It's really helpful. Any tips on how to make my navy in terms of weapon systems/fleet ratios?

I got tag-teamed by my two rivals with a fleet size of 4.5k (mine was 4.3k) and 7.5k and peaced out really quickly because there was no way I could win. Had to scrap all my frontier outposts and give a system freedom. Now I'm boxed in by the two of them as they built frontier outposts where mine used to be and they've got guarantees on the newly freed planet. It's exactly what I would've done as the player so good on the AI for mimicking the player.

Aethernet posted:

Upgrading your space port increases your fleet cap. You should also design your fleets around what you're facing; if your opponents are heavy shield, go kinetic, if heavy armour, go plasma. If neither, go plasma.

Is plasma the same thing as lasers? I've got blue lasers and the level 4 kinetic driver so I've been sticking with the kinetic driver because level 4>level 2, right?

I also try and look at the average DPS but I'm getting the sense it's a misleading number.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 10, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I finally beat up my neighbors thanks to your tips on fleet composition. I made sure to sanitize all their starports to keep them down for a while. Took 4 systems as my spoils.

And immediately afterwords the Unbidden spawned. The average fleet size of most empires right now is around 15k. :gonk:

Is the galaxy utterly hosed? Should I just restart?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ulmont posted:

Depends on how close the Unbidden are to (1) you and (2) any Fallen Empires on the map.

With luck an FE will awaken and take care of your problem for you.

I'm in the northeast corner of a spiral galaxy. They are in the center of the galaxy with a fairly strong normal empire, an average normal empire, one of my colonies and a third normal empire to get through to get to me. I have an FE to my south that seems to like me alright (I gave them a scientist and they gifted me some resources and opened their borders) but the quickest route to me would avoid going past them. The other 2 FEs are fairly far away, one to west of the center of the galaxy and one in the southeastern part of the galaxy.

Other important things to note: I just royally hosed up two of the stronger empires leaving them with no fleets or ship building capacity whatsoever. I assume I'm going to really, really regret that as the Unbidden will tear right through them.

I've got a backup save from the end of my war because I was doing a lot of savescumming during the war and really wanted to try and learn how to fight a war correctly after I got my rear end kicked in the last war. If I revert back to that will the Unbidden still spawn? It seems really, really early for them. Again, most empires are flying around with fleets of 10-20k. I wonder who the hell researched jump drives.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 11, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ulmont posted:

Are any of the FEs Xenophile or Materialist? If yes, let it play out.

Probably doesn't matter - there are systems the Unbidden will spend time working on, which means longer before they get to you.
Probably not - the Unbidden can spawn as soon as 150 years into the game if anybody has gotten to a level 3 drive of any time, although it is much more likely to occur if you have Jump Drives.

Of course, you still have a chance of the Swarm popping up on the revised save - they can show up as early as 170 years.

I think the FE in the southeast is Spiritualist, the one near me is Materialist and the one in the west is Xenophobe. Does the Materialist one liking me help out at all?

Ah yeah, I didn't realize they could spawn that early. I don't feel like everyone is all that advanced but we are solidly into the mid-game and there are lots of empires. Would re-loading before they spawn alter their spawn location or is that set before they actually spawn?

I'm really enjoying the inter-play between me and the normal AI-controlled empires this game which is why I'm leaning towards a reload as I'd like to not see them (and me) all wiped out early on.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ulmont posted:

The Materialist has a 70% chance to wake up and start fighting the Unbidden.

It's set as a delayed event. You'd have to edit the save to find the "delayed_event" line for the unbidden and removed that section. Not in front of my home PC so can't find a save to actually show you.
http://www.stellariswiki.com/Save-game_editing

Ah that's good to know. This is an ironman game so I don't think i can edit the file, but thanks for all the info!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So one thing I think it would be cool to see in the game in the next patch would be Victoria 2 style crises for the mid-game. We sort of already have the big Great War ones in the War In Heaven, end-game crises, etc but the mid game still feels a bit lacking. They could also be used as a way to tailor what final crisis you get. I always thought it odd that there are "dangerous" techs but no way to stop the AI from picking them and no real downside for picking them yourself. An empire researching sentient AI or jump drives or other new "dangerous" tech (maybe nano-machines?) could trigger a crisis where the galaxy has to figure out what to do. It'd also give an avenue to defeat the crises without actually having all the warfare and destruction.

Or there could be crises about slavery, purges, new space-faring empires forming, border tensions, etc.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Welp I tried to fight the Unbidden and failed.

The entire galaxy suddenly all said "oh gently caress" and joined the Federation that my arch-rival set up. The Materialist FE at my doorstep awoke and started flying all over the place and for a bit I thought we might pull it off.

And then the systems started falling. One by one my former enemies all died to the Unbidden. I thought they might leave me be, but I was wrong. So rather than dying on my knees I took off with literally the entire rest of the galaxy to try and stop the Unbidden. Honestly there was something a little :3: about everyone joining together to try and fight back. I managed to snipe one of their anchors but my fleet died in the ensuing battle with an Unbidden fleet.

And it was all for naught as the AI seemed to have no idea how to actually beat back the Unbidden. So I watched as my once proud empire was slowly dismantled. We could've held out on the worlds full of slaves we conquered but it seemed too distasteful.

Oh well.

Anyone know when the achievements will be fixed? I want to re-load the game to get the ones I think I picked up during the playthrough.

edit: Anyone have any tips on fighting the Unbidden/Preython/AI in future games? Prior to this I only ever encountered the Preyton in 1.1 and the AI managed to kill the queen.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 12, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Redchaostry posted:

From Jamor over on the Paradox forums.

Well that sucks :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Weaponized biomodding. This game :allears:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/64yja8/dr_cadence_how_i_learned_to_stop_worrying_and/

Reddit posted:

I've come across something rather interesting, as I've been toying around with Biological Ascension, and I think this experiment deserves it's own thread.

I have managed to weaponize gene modding.

No, I don't mean pump out overpowered supersoldiers, or super leaders. I mean weaponizing the process itself, and using genetic modification to ruin AI empires.

So far, I have managed to recreate this experiment six times, and it's been successful each and every time. I'm confident in stating that it works. If there's interest, I'll run another experiment, and document it in a screenshot album, but for now, I'd just like to explain the process, and talk about the results I've experienced.

Needless to say, you need to have Biological Ascension completed. Results may vary based on enemy empire ethos. Does not work against Hive Minds for soon-to-be-obvious reasons.

-Step 1: Colonize a lovely planet. By lovely, I mean, sub-12, with bad habitability. The lower (but still colonizable by your goat species), the better. Something with absolutely no strategic value whatsoever, that's not in your borders.
-Step 2: Temporarily re-enable (if it's not on by default) pop relocation. Move over enough of your goat species to fill up the planet. Bonus points if they have opposing ethos to your opponent.
-Step 3: Bring out the science crew, and gene mod your species to have these traits: Repugnant, Solitary, Fertile, Nomadic. If your opponent is Egalitarian and/or Xenophile, give them Decadent as well. If they're Authoritarian - wouldn't recommend this against Xenophobes due to purges -, give them Deviant. Bonus points if the species is Uplifted, and has either Earthbound, or Starborn. If necessary, change their preferences to be the worst possible.
-Step 4: Once done, gift the system away to your victim of choice.
-Optional: Fill the planet with farms, and destroy colony HQ.

Due to low happiness and habitability, the species is going to migrate, or be migrated.

The AI is not, however, smart enough to figure out that what you've given them is the equivalent of sending them dementors. Your newly created bioweapon will suck the joy out of anything, and everything around them, and they'll be impossible to please, generating large amounts of Unrest.

The AI also doesn't seem to understand the concept of using genetic modification to remove the equivalent of the pox from your goats, so they'll just let it happen.

I have managed to fragment, then conquer multiple Slaver and Federation Builder empires with this approach; in happiness-oriented AI empires,
it seriously screws with their economy, while in Slaver empires, the amount of Unrest these carriers can generate over time quite often cause slave revolts, as the AI seems to be about as smart as a brick when it comes to managing Unrest.

TL;DR: Biological Ascension's ability to add negative, and remove positive traits is bloody hilarious.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 12, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Yikes. Which bug is this again?

1.5.0 saves don't give any achievements ever. 1.5.1 saves do, but only if you've started the game in 1.5.1.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So is there a way to stop your main species from reproducing? I'm trying to make an all robot-sector and my stupid race keeps migrating to it and making babies.

I tried setting population controls but you can't do it for your primary species.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Any recommendations for settings for a quick game before 2.0 comes out?

When is 2.0 coming out anyway? I've been doing the Paradox Dev Diary Delay lately where I want to play but then I see cool new stuff coming in dev diaries and put off playing...until a few months later when the new patch is out and I see more cool new stuff coming in the dev diaries, etc., etc.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

I mean the last Stellaris patch was version 1.9, so uh I'm not sure that direction they could have gone in besides 2.0.

1.10 :colbert:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This patch seems real good.

Dunno if I should start a new Stellaris game when this patch hits or wait for the HOI4 patch as both are really intriguing to me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Westminster System posted:

Theres a reason Freespace is one of the best sci fi universes. If my game isn't looking like a knock-off node map then whats the point?

Subspace Node me up, Paradox.

This gave me a great idea.

Wiz please add a superweapon that can destroy a hyperlane between systems.

We can finally punish the filthy xenos by cutting them off from the rest of the galaxy! :black101:

Discoverable hyperlanes also sounds neat but I'm guessing it'd be a big change.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Are there any good Steam mods that add in famous races/cultures from sci-fi?

And are they still ironman/achievement compatible?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Why has nobody made a Freespace ship pack yet?

Freespace's ship classes being loving weird might have something to do with it, honestly. Cruisers are the smallest and destroyers the largest, with corvettes and frigates in between :thunk:

All this Freespace chat makes me want to boot up FS2 Open again...

I never finished playing Blue Planet.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gyrotica posted:

Really the only issue with making a Freespace pack are, as mentioned, the fact that they have four divisions of capital ships and Stellaris (now) has five. The conversion would look something like this:

Stellaris Corvettes = Freespace Cruisers
Stellaris Destroyers = Freespace ????
Stellaris Cruisers = Freespace Corvettes
Stellaris Battleships = Freespace Destroyers
Stellaris Colossus/Sathanas Ships = Freespace Titans

You'd probably have to make something from scratch for Stellaris Destroyers or borrow from a mod.

Stellaris Destroyers are clearly the NTF Icini :colbert:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sibling of TB posted:

Now I want to see a late game crisis where a fleet of planet destroyers invade the galaxy, 1 ship per planet and you have to kill the ones going for planets you like before they destroy them. (kind of like what happened with SOTS locusts when they went out of control).

So Reapers from Mass Effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Man this could be great. Reapers show up through wormhole or gate networks and start taking names. Give them a colossus that gradually depletes planetary pops (say randomly 1 to 3 per month? faster the lower planetary defenses are?) and each [x] number of pops that gets mulched spawns a new Reaper.

They could also go for Indoctrination Theory and let them spawn some kind of internal rebellion.

A crisis that messes up the hyperspace lanes would be interesting too.

Basically, Wiz please give us more crises, thank you.

• Locked thread