Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's 1.5 bringing?

Objectively correct ideology labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think there should be a space cuisine expansion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have I even left the early game? :psyduck:

Here lies StrixNebulosa. RIP. He never expanded.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

The planet grid is... alright. It works but it's too micro-intensive, especially when you're upgrading a lot of buildings. I also don't like how it makes your planets feel like giant mines/farms rather than places people live. Reworking it is not out of the question but it'd be a pretty huge investment of time.

A lot of that "feel" problem could be fixed just by renaming the buildings and possibly redoing the sprites. Mining tiles could be something like "resource extraction zone" with a better name, power plant I-V could be renamed like "fossil fuel extraction zone" "renewable energy farm" "fusion power sector," or something better. Research labs could become research hubs, planetary stock market could instead be renamed financial district, military academy could become "planetary military enclave" or something. Cloning vats could become "biotech district."

You know, just rename stuff to give the impression that you're building a lived-in cityscape on a tile instead of a single building. So much of the what the player sees through the planet screen is imagined anyway.

Would be pretty dang sweet if these city/region tiles changed their names based on what kind of government you were too. "Governor's palace" versus "Military administration zone" or "planetary energy monopoly" versus "energy distribution nexus"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

What is it with people always wanting to rip out entire features from their games? Is that some weird kind of video game nihilism taking form here?

Seriously, rework the army system a little bit, maybe even throw a couple events in, done. Just "Getting rid" of armies makes no sense.

Sword of the Stars removed planetary buildings from the space 4x equation and nothing was lost. You don't need to click 50 times to make resource collection numbers go from +5 to +15.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

Xenomorphs as a 'gently caress my own population, nobody's getting off this planet alive' trap card is a neat idea.

Xenomorph-infested planets that can't be used without going through a long and grueling army landing/event chain would be hilarious and great. Huge opportunity for quotes from Aliens.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One really easy flavor injection: the tile clearance techs could use real names. Right now they just say what they do.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Are the dudes in that orbital even human at this point? They'd be soaking up some gigantic amounts of radiation that close.

I don't think it's to scale.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure exactly how removing an active volcano is supposed to work.

Volcano Removal -> Deep Crust Engineering
Advances in material technology and deep-shaft mining techniques allow geo-engineering at previously unthinkable depths and temperatures. Magma hotspots can now be exploited, suppressed, or even relocated.

Toxic Kelp Removal -> Ocean Ecology Management
Given enough processing power, networked sensors and distributed stations, even the ocean currents can be managed to a fine level of control.

Glacier Removal -> Climate Control Network
Orbital systems of mirrors and shades can effect dramatic changes in planetary climates, when managed properly.

Mountain Removal -> Planetary Resurfacing
With the advent of clean fusion, automation, and matter compression technologies, it was only a matter of time before mountain top removal became mountain range removal.

Dense Jungle Removal: Selective Defoliants
Thorough cataloging, gene sequencing, and computer modeling of exobotanical ecosystems, coupled with gene editing and dispersal mechanisms, will allow us to reshape alien plant communities to our liking.

Quicksand Basin Removal -> Soil Remediation
The process of soil deposition normally takes millions of years. With advanced fracking, chemical engineering, and hydraulic management technologies even the poorest substrate can be turned into fertile topsoil.

Noxious Swamp Removal -> Xeno-Hydraulic Mastery
Sentient races have been reclaiming swampland for thousands of years. A coordinated system of modular aquaducts, pump stations, chemical remediation crawlers and automated soil compactors can reclaim land at unprecedented speeds.

Deep Sinkhole Removal -> Subterranean Colonization
Many planets exhibit extensive subsurface voids. Subterranean exploration, exploitation, and construction techniques can greatly increase the habitable area of some worlds.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 24, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I'd rather if tile blockers had some other use besides 'remove'. Alphamod does this by giving all the tile blockers adjacency bonuses but I'd rather if you had special buildings you could build on top of them instead (and only on top of them). Giant geothermal generators on volcano's. Xeno Zoo's on dangerous wildlife. Defensive fortifications on mountain ranges and so on.
:ghost:

Thetan Generator
Provides strategic resource: alien ghosts

*Requires at least 5 slave pops

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 25, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

Do I have your permission to steal this?

A chance to contribute to pop culture? Sure.

Might be interesting to tie a small resource bonus to the techs to reinforce the idea that these are "real-feeling" techs and not just a tile removal mechanic thing. Like a 1% bonus to something that seems appropriate, like 1% empire-wide food for each tech having to do with plants and soil, 1% empire energy for each tech having to do with climate, and 1% empire minerals for each tech having to do with geology. Or research or whatever's balanced. Just a little something thrown in there for flavor.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 24, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

While you're at it can you group tile removal tech together so it's not an entire tech for 1 tile type? Or at least reduce their cost significantly.

Nah that's not necessary, considering all the techs really do is make planets larger by a couple tiles. Expediting tile blocker removal would just make rapid expansion in the early game even more dominant.

What the game really needs is a mechanism that ties colony cost/income to habitability. All of a sudden planet type and terraforming would matter in ways that players care about.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aethernet posted:

:confused: We already have that; habitability dramatically affects pop growth rates and caps happiness.

Happiness doesn't do anything though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What?????!!!!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have invisible super- pops on some planets.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A game that pretended to be a grand strategy game but you gradually figured out your advisors were lying to you and it's really a backstabbing politics simulator would be awesome but very different.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

I've gone into depth on this topic many a time, so I hope this doesn't come off as dismissive, but... as it stands, machine learning is a complete pipe dream for games of any real level of complexity. About the only games that can employ it outside of highly limited/selective implementations is fighting games, and even there it's in its infancy. The belief in technology and algorithms over simple iterative work is actually a huge issue with strategy game AI, people want easy solutions and they just don't exist. It's about hard work, a bit of design know-how and a thorough understanding of the game you're working on.

Have you followed that team that taught their AI to play Brood War on ladder?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'll take a shot at the race-mixing species-sharing too:

[code]"Avol Star Council"
={
key="Avol Star Council"
name_list="AVI2"
ship_prefix="AAS"
species_name="Avol"
species_plural="Avol"
species_class="AVI"
species_adjective="Avol"
species_bio="The Avol evolved as apex predators on the broad savannahs of Qrava. Avol are by nature solitary, maintaining few close connections on a regular basis. The difficulty of gaining access to other Avol's personal territory lead to the Avol's two cultural obsessions: storytelling and the exchange of gifts. Both practices served as social lubricants in the solitary Avol lifestyle, and became the basis of organized Avol society. Now, the Avol take to the stars with the same propensity for mythmaking and trade as their early ancestors."
portrait="avi6"
name="Avol Star Council"
adjective="Council"
government="plutocratic_oligarchy"
ftl=wormhole
weapon="tech_lasers_1"
planet_name="Qrava"
planet_class="pc_savannah"
system_name="Qratrafrana"
initializer=""
graphical_culture="avian_01"
city_graphical_culture="avian_01"
empire_flag={
icon={
category="spherical"
file="flag_spherical_13.dds"
}
background={
category="backgrounds"
file="circle.dds"
}
colors={
"burgundy"
"black"
"null"
"null"
}
}
ruler={
gender=female
name="Qutrok"
portrait="avi6_f"
texture=0
hair=0
clothes=4
}
spawn_as_fallen=no
ignore_portrait_duplication=no
spawn_enabled=yes
ethic="ethic_individualist"
ethic="ethic_militarist"
ethic="ethic_spiritualist"
trait="trait_slow_breeders"
trait="trait_deviants"
trait="trait_solitary"
trait="trait_charismatic"
trait="trait_venerable"
[/]

I agree a pastebin might be a good idea.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Poil posted:

No fanatic neutral? :(

Our science has proved that Truth is in the middle. We regard with patience the childlike efforts of those who delude themselves as they play with their concept of "objective facts."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/826004080795451392

What is it? What does it do? gently caress if I know but it looks awesome and I want one.

It's bad and I don't like it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

Maybe a post-apocalypse alternative to cockroaches? What would be the giant animal that's taken over though?

Judging by life in America, it's the squirrels who will inherit the Earth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Little disappointed you can't live inside a dyson sphere, it's just for collecting energy.

?????

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

When I say 'fight back' I literally mean 'fight back' as in shoot lasers at it.

You could just rip a page from the news and give players the option to humiliate and subvert the hegemonic culture like we're seeing with this loose alliance of authoritarian regimes in the modern day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Can anyone help me out with ship building tech priorities?

When it comes to ship research what are the important things to get? I always find myself wanting to focus on non ship research beyond unlocking the ships themselves. Of course when I finally do focus on them what do I unlock five tiers of....missiles (in regard to a post I saw saying avoid missiles).

In fairness I never usually get this far in the game or research tree. It was a lot of fun though and definitely felt more fleshed out than at launch.

Also the less said about resources spent trying to attack and (survey...twice) the enigmatic fortress before releasing it was a non standard event...the better.

Sensors and engines are the most important techs, followed by afterburners.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can't remember if I contributed...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Re: the goon species pack. I'm not seeing any species in my species list when making a game. Are they supposed to be there?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

That reminds me, I got alien pets on my homeworld? How does that work

Pets so good they're outta this world!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

#freemushrooms

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Awakened Empires can easily drop 150K fleet power onto you so you better be ready for a major military buildup if you want to take on an FE.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The real question that still needs to be answered in Utopia is:

which space empire is the true successor to Rome?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

I know, it's just a joke.

Actual serious question though: why are XL mounts bad on a mechanical level? Not a challenge, genuinely curious.

They aren't. They have the longest ranges of any direct-fire weapon, so if you get a critical mass of XL dreadnoughts together it's hard for the opponent to approach. They get killed halfway across the system.

If you run a few XL dreadnoughts in a large cruiser fleet they'd be pretty bad.

Moving across the field of fire is less effective at long range. At a long range even large tangential velocities only amount to a few degrees of arc.

More to the point, Stellaris doesn't let you control your ships' movement in combat, so I'm not getting how these ships are supposed to dodge.

You want the XL weapons that ignore armor and shields because despite their lower DPS they kill ships a lot faster. In my experience.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why are cruisers supposed to be better?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

amotea posted:

Is this game good yet? I recall people complained it lacked content on release.

No not really. You probably want to wait 2 or 3 expansions to get a game with solid 4x systems. The 4x/Grand Strategy hybrid that the game is supposed to be will probably take more than a year to become a reality.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did that update come out yet?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey I just noticed my tile remover tech names and flavor text made it into the game mostly unchanged. Neat!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So how is the expansion?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is this game good yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Doesn't negative energy kill your energy weapon damage?

• Locked thread