Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's that time again, where we invite you to play our latest mobile game before everyone else and tell us why it sucks!

Bit City is an idle city building game. You could think of it as a mash-up between Egg, Inc and SimCity.

quote:

Build your own Bit City! Start from a tiny town and grow to a thriving metropolis in this city building idle game from the creators of Tiny Tower. Collect profits and invest in upgrades that keep your city growing. Fill your city with new types of cars, planes and ships. Unlock cool new buildings, including famous landmarks to customize the look of your city. What are you waiting for? Start building YOUR own Bit City now!

:siren:INSTRUCTIONS TO RECIEVE BETA:siren:

If you are on Android, go here to install: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimblebit.bitcity

If you are on iOS, go here: https://goo.gl/forms/x9NSJXeJ8I6zB4RN2 and submit your email for us to add to Testflight.
Once added you will receive an email with instructions on adding the app via Testflight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Okay done, gimme gimme.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Submitted my email, looking forward to trying this.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I said this in the android gaming thread, and I'll say it again here. This game is extremely similar to Egg, Inc. Like remarkably so, but I am enjoying it, very well polished.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

oh boy. signed up.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

sounds good, hope the heart costume people are in this one

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Seems pretty addicting so far. My only gripe is that it pauses my pod casts when I open the app back up even though I've turned off the music and SFX. I'm on android 7.1.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Horn posted:

Seems pretty addicting so far. My only gripe is that it pauses my pod casts when I open the app back up even though I've turned off the music and SFX. I'm on android 7.1.

Yeah, that is a fun bug with the version of Unity we're using :(

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Signed up, can't wait! :)

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Enjoying this so far, but I get a LOT of stuttering going in and out of menus, even with shadows off. Using a Nexus 6p android 7.1.1.

Also, incredibly minor, but there's a weird display bug with the robotic upgrade. The yellow upgrade button sometimes remains greyed even though it says it has multiple upgrades available. I haven't been able to deduce a pattern or way of replicating.

And a small request: please allow the "have multiple [building] in city" quests stay completed once the condition is met. For example, I had a quest for two ballparks. I had two lots, one with a ballpark marked historic, the other cycling through upgrades while I worked to get the second ballpark. I finally rolled a ballpark, but before I could claim the now-completed quest, the auto-upgrade robot turned the park into a pool.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I mean I've liked almost all of the Nimblebit games so far and participated in at least one beta that I can recall. I was looking for another thing to waste my time anywho. :D

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
Signed up for my fourth(?) NimbleBit beta. Can't wait, been anxious to give this one a go.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Enigma posted:

Enjoying this so far, but I get a LOT of stuttering going in and out of menus, even with shadows off. Using a Nexus 6p android 7.1.1.

A bug I think related to this, when the game is lagging and you tap the build button a bunch of times it will start more than your maximum constructions

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Wouldn't mind having the option to prioritise the available lowest level buildings for upgrading.
Also maybe a small progress bar above the current bonus objective(?) button so you can see at a glance if a objective building has popped up without constantly having to scan for them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Really like it so far. The constant upgrading scratches that clicker itch really well. One question: What does double time actually do?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Sure, I'll build a bit city. I guess? :v:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

yessssssss

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

glam rock hamhock posted:

Really like it so far. The constant upgrading scratches that clicker itch really well. One question: What does double time actually do?

it doubles the timescale for the game so everything is running at 2x speed

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Alright!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I was poking around and managed to prestige myself at the start of city 2 without meaning to (a confirmation popup would have been really nice).

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I've never played Egg Inc so this might be a mechanic from that but I don't understand the upgrade function. Do I just keep slamming it? Do the upgrades eventually start taking longer?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I signed up for this...

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I've never played Egg Inc so this might be a mechanic from that but I don't understand the upgrade function. Do I just keep slamming it? Do the upgrades eventually start taking longer?

yep, pretty much keep hitting buttons, buying land and upgrading stuff

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I wasn't sure you guys were still making new games! This is great news I have loved your stuff in the past.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Signed up!

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Hey I'm on a Galaxy s6 and when I try to watch an ad to get the double time boost, I just get stuck on a popup that says "channel surfing...".

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007
Love is the stuff inside.
Signed up!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Namaer posted:

Hey I'm on a Galaxy s6 and when I try to watch an ad to get the double time boost, I just get stuck on a popup that says "channel surfing...".

could be a network issue, it's trying to download an ad but not finding one. Maybe try switching wifi on or off to hop onto a different network?

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

marshmonkey posted:

could be a network issue, it's trying to download an ad but not finding one. Maybe try switching wifi on or off to hop onto a different network?

Just tried it on the mobile network and having the same issue.

Disappointing Dollhouse
Dec 11, 2004
gorkagorkagorka
I've gotten a few months out of every nimblebit game. This one looks to be no different.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Namaer posted:

Just tried it on the mobile network and having the same issue.

I think we have an s6 in the office, I'll try to reproduce. Thanks!

Edit: I was able to load an ad so doesn't look like a device specific issue anyways.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 20, 2017

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
I'm in for another round of testing :)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I signed up! I'm excited!

Disappointing Dollhouse
Dec 11, 2004
gorkagorkagorka
I desperately want to name everything in the city. Street names, silly business names, even the cars. All of it.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Sorry guys I was hoping for a bit more Sim City with time gated building, but this game blows.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Geekslinger posted:

Sorry guys I was hoping for a bit more Sim City with time gated building, but this game blows.

Thanks for the feedback.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The game feels like it draws from egg inc a ton. if you haven't played it you'll be confused I feel.

I think a bit more of a sandbox mode where you chose what type of industry goes on each tile even if the correct answer is 1:1:1 like now being able to make that mistake feels important

QoL: I have a quest for 5 Starbit Coffee shops. I assume it's blue based on the name, but I have no idea what is looks like, there is room in the popup can you add the graphic and the tile color?

First Impressions: I'm enjoying it but it seems to be lacking the staying power of your other games I'm not sure how to fix it though maybe I'll think of something but right now I feel more like week 2 into a Nimblebit game than first day addicted which is usually holy crap when why is the sun coming up it's 5AM? I have to leave for work in 2 hours guess I'm not sleeping.

e: cars (and planes) feel a bit active what if the coin / bux got a bit higher in value as you left them, or a lock icon on the screen that would let you sweep your finger to quickly get multiple. With how fast they generate having a bunch unlocked feels more like a chore than a reward.

Also mile stones with keys that unlock at all map levels, even if it's stuff that already exists like say at 150 keys you get an airport even at map 1 would make it feel like there is more progress and something cool. But completely unique stuff would be awesome.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 21, 2017

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I ended up uninstalling because I don't really care for time sink games. It does play well, and it looks nice.

The UI is a little boring though, it sort of clashes with the buildings.

It also feels a little weird to leave a town you put work into to move to a new town. Expansion would have felt nicer. I know restarts are how these games work though.

Good luck with it!

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

oh hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Progressing from completed town to new town feels weird with the existence of newgame/prestige.

As SystemLogoff said, expansion would feel less jarring. Also, I felt that the goals weren't really clearly defined. Having played Nimblebit games before and other similar games in the same genre, I know what to do. But I feel the completely uninitiated would have some trouble understanding their short and long term goals (and why its beneficial to prestige).

On top of that, I feel a bit disconnected from my city. No cute Nimblezens to tell me why my podunk town sucks, or what they want. Even if its just cosmetic and flavor text, it would help me care about the city I'm building. The predetermined lots and lack of customization makes each town feel like a "stage".

Again, I know this isn't your average Tiny Tower or what-have-you, but some of the charm that made me love Nimblebit is lost. It feels...sanitized?

No performance issues with my iPhone 7+, so thats dandy.

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 21, 2017

• Locked thread