Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I'm thinking that the 'historical' checkbox might be a bit too broad of a term... Either adding a description, or calling it 'historical landmark' instead to imply not changing the building type might help get that idea across a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

HelloWinter posted:

I'm thinking that the 'historical' checkbox might be a bit too broad of a term... Either adding a description, or calling it 'historical landmark' instead to imply not changing the building type might help get that idea across a little better.

Yeah, this would have helped me.

Also, I see the piggy bank on the upgrade screen goes up as I spend bux but clicking on this takes me to the shop that's closed. What's going to be the use of this function?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yea, we definitely need to add a little (i) info button next to the historical checkbox that pops up a description of what it does.

IllegallySober posted:

Yeah, this would have helped me.

Also, I see the piggy bank on the upgrade screen goes up as I spend bux but clicking on this takes me to the shop that's closed. What's going to be the use of this function?

The piggy bank goes up every time you research stuff in the game, and you can buy however many bux are in it for a flat price in the shop (forget what it's set at). So it becomes a better and better deal the longer you play the game.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
I've got cloud sync showing the same ID on two devices, but there's no syncing going on.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

After playing around with this for a couple of hours I agree with almost all of the feedback in this post, particularly the ones I bolded:

Chadina posted:

I had a lot of time to kill today with just my phone and spent way too long playing this. It kept me hooked for awhile, but I already feel burned out on it. Some thoughts:

-Having never played Egg Inc, I was immensely confused playing this starting out. I expect a city builder and eventually realized it was more cookie clicker. I accidentally reset twice after the first level because I wanted see what the button did because I didn't realize that yes/no prompt was asking me if I wanted to reset. It also took me awhile to figure out I was supposed to just spam the upgrade button. I figured out what historical checkbox does by playing around, but still no idea why it does that. I'm guessing a tutorial is coming later in development.

-As mentioned, the stages combined with the prestige/reset system means I got burned out on the first and second tier of stuff really quick. I stopped playing because I beat a level and my two options were either starting a new level from scratch, or resetting to start from scratch with a minor bonus. Neither sounded fun.

-I liked the cars/planes/boat system in general. It gave me a nice bonus for keeping focused rather than just idling. I also really like the icons changing size, that was very intuitive. But it eventually became a chore. Planes in particular meant zooming out to catch them, but then I couldn't see cars or my city. Boats were off on the side in boring water, again pulling me away from the other systems in the game.

-Maybe it was just me, but there didn't seem to be any real reason to build lots of building. Building big buildings up to the number of upgrades you can do at once seemed the easiest strategy. But to end the level I had to click on each and every single one of those drat lots, which was just a chore.

-I realized that I don't like anything about the building upgrade button. Early game it seems like you just mash it constantly. There also doesn't seem to be any way to control what you upgrade, meaning new buildings are done instantly while older buildings take forever. Late game its automated and feels meaningless, and the automated building can't even keep up with the buildings sometimes especially when you build a lot of new ones. Not being able to select what I upgrade meant sometimes it finished instantly and sometimes it took 30 seconds.

-The complete lack of any control over the town combined with resetting left the game feeling really hollow. My buildings were constantly changing into random other buildings, layouts were just predetermined grids with dead end roads, and after I'm starting to get the hang of my little town, its time to reset it and move on to the next very similar but slightly bigger town. There was just nothing for me to get attached to except bigger numbers.

-As noted by others, the quest for X buildings is directly in conflict with the auto-upgrade system and randomly hoping for certain buildings is not fun in general.

-The city power system seems to be just a money sink without any benefit to the player. I'd remove or disable that until you guys can expand upon it.

-I randomly got a bug a couple times where the flavor counter for my building had NaN for the number. Like a water tower with gallons: NaN. No idea how to reproduce unfortunately.

-I slipped my finger more than once and ended up scrolling way off the map and was unable to find the map again so I just restarted. A center button or better yet a limit on scrolling would be nice.

-I can't reproduce this consistently anymore, but at one point my phone had too much crap running so the game was running a bit slow. But what I could do was open the upgrade menu, click the close button, then mash really quickly on the upgrade button while the town was loading. The result was that I could upgrade more buildings than I had upgrades available. I'm guessing it was registering my button presses before the UI could load and update the button to disabled.

I realize this is early development still and I had fun, so I'm excited to see what you guys can make of this.

I'm still having fun and looking forward to what changes might be coming, but I'm strongly in favor of an expansion model rather than advancing to a new city each time.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Are you supposed to be able to build to 120% power? You can build 3 large plots before upgrading your power which takes you over 100%

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Just found another one of these too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For those who are curious, NaN means Not a Number. It's what tends to get returned when a number is expected, except the result is anything but a number. It might also appear when a negative number is returned, but I can't remember anymore...

From what I can tell, it's not specific to any building, but to the code that queries what the number should be, or the code that determines the number.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Something else that would be nice would be to expand the possible "task list" from 1 item to 2 or 3. For example, right now I have to build two baseball fields in my city, which means I'm stuck at the mercy of the RNG and depending I'm quick enough to lock it as historical and/or push the task list button- but I can't be working toward any other task at the same time.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Oh, also, Champagne is misspelled in the description of the Private Jet ;) Already reported by someone else!

Referee fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 21, 2017

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

IllegallySober posted:

Something else that would be nice would be to expand the possible "task list" from 1 item to 2 or 3. For example, right now I have to build two baseball fields in my city, which means I'm stuck at the mercy of the RNG and depending I'm quick enough to lock it as historical and/or push the task list button- but I can't be working toward any other task at the same time.

Yea, that would be a good system I think.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Do I understand correctly that the buildings I unlock with keys are thrown into the random rotation of buildings that can show up, but the bonus I get from unlocking those buildings is permanent and exists regardless of whether that building is currently in my city or not? I'm guessing yes but it's a little unclear.

Edit: Also, when I prestige for the first time, I had 29 keys. I bought the first two buildings and had nine keys left over that I couldn't spend anything on. When I restarted, I was back to zero keys. Seems like those extra nine keys should carry over, yes?

Edit 2: The last post on the previous page answers my question about where my keys went, but I agree with that poster that this should be more obvious.

Referee fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 22, 2017

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

IllegallySober posted:

Do I understand correctly that the buildings I unlock with keys are thrown into the random rotation of buildings that can show up, but the bonus I get from unlocking those buildings is permanent and exists regardless of whether that building is currently in my city or not? I'm guessing yes but it's a little unclear.

Edit: Also, when I prestige for the first time, I had 29 keys. I bought the first two buildings and had nine keys left over that I couldn't spend anything on. When I restarted, I was back to zero keys. Seems like those extra nine keys should carry over, yes?

Edit 2: The last post on the previous page answers my question about where my keys went, but I agree with that poster that this should be more obvious.

Correct about how they work.

Yea, can se how that is confusing, re: key counts.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Played a whole bunch since, despite saying the worst thing about the game is the fact it's an idler, I am an idle game player and enjoyed Egg Inc. only to eventually come to hate it because it gave me no real way to upgrade the actual idle time.

As such, I'd like to say the bank upgrade in this game is a godsend and thank you for that. Over all I like the flow of the game a lot. The idea that it sorta moves from "hit construction over and over" to "try to find specific buildings for this mission" to "auto construction is fast enough that most of the game is just tapping on vehicles and waiting" is a pretty neat thing for an idler. It's kinda obvious that the only way to play is with the 2x boost on so the restart button for the ad is both welcome and, well, enjoy your ad revenue. :P

So yeah, over all, good poo poo. Not the "actual game" I want but seeing as how I only play idlers at work now, this is a welcome change up to the routine.

Edit: Oh yeah, something I'd totally spend those Game Dollars on? A way to have construction happen while I'm not running the game. I'd totally accept it only working for a certain amount of time, or having a separate sort of "bank" to deal with it, or have the construction just be really slow... but just having some way of making it so I can get more out of idling is always good, especially for the "build 1000 buildings" type missions.

Edit 2: The ticker tape at the top idea you mentioned is a good one, since that's one of the things I miss the most from SimCity 3000 that they never pushed forward. However, since that is a ton of writing required, why not just go the Egg Inc. route and have random story pop-ups happen at milestones during the game? Like at the start and end of building a city, for example.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 22, 2017

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I've only put in a couple hours, but my comments have all been covered already. The main interruption to my fun is the city reset and having to complete the same unlocks multiple times. Things such as the bank are a pain to do because I want to be able to step away and collect my coins tomorrow morning but that isn't an option until you've done some work on the new city.

IrregularOreos
Oct 26, 2010
Long-time Nimblebit fan, and also a fan of Egg. Inc and SimCity games in general.

Some initial thoughts on the game (after a few hours and a couple of levels):
- Love the look, exactly what I had expected when I heard about the game.
- Re: expansion vs. reset model: Agree with whats already been mentioned in the thread, having your city destroyed and rebuilt every level ruins any attachment I had to my city, which isn't what you want from SimCity type games.
- Agree with the adding of bitizens into the game. The game feels like it has a lot less personality than the previous bit games. Having a bitizen chime in every now and then asking for something would be nice. Or maybe have bitizens roaming the streets and have a search for the bitizen mini-game.
- Re: historical buildings. The feature needs a quick note/explanation. Also seems pointless, as I haven't seen all the buildings yet (nor is there an encyclopaedia of buildings to refer back to), so I would favour cycling through as many buildings as possible first to see what's out there. Also pointless if I'm going to restart my city soon/eventually.
- Maybe turn the historical buildings into a side-quest ala Tiny Tower (the stock these 3 products for bux mini-game), where you have to collect 3 types of buildings in your city to get a bux bonus
- Power seems like an arbitrary gate/money sink, maybe progressively buying power ala SimCity type games would be preferable.

Otherwise an enjoyable game so far, really fulfils the "Egg Inc. meets SimCity" description.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

IrregularOreos posted:

- Maybe turn the historical buildings into a side-quest ala Tiny Tower (the stock these 3 products for bux mini-game), where you have to collect 3 types of buildings in your city to get a bux bonus

These exist as missions though I think they may just be in a set order and in limited amount based on how they are going but could easily be done as a daily or something to encourage it / make it more obvious why you'd want to early in the game.

IrregularOreos posted:

- Power seems like an arbitrary gate/money sink, maybe progressively buying power ala SimCity type games would be preferable.

I agree with this, the first time you upgrade power it's actually kind of strategic due to the price so I tend to upgrade a few other things. Later upgrades are cheap enough that it's just a minor cost to having more buildings. It either needs to be expensive enough to be a road block (and the bux upgrade to decrease power usage worthwhile) or removed since it just feels like this thing you need to press 3 buttons instead of 1 to buy a new building every 20 or so.

That or different power plants as options so I could make a ton of coal plants that are cheap and polite the city driving down the income of residential buildings or something.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 22, 2017

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

Additionally, if you guys consider this, also probably the ability to reroll a task would be nice.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wish it prioritized upgrading the newer plots too. Or if you had the option to choose plots to upgrade. Some sort of timer here would be nice, too.

I Egg, Inc'ed a ton, so I know the general upgrade path, but I have no idea what benefit I'm getting from building 1:1:1 residential/commercial/industrial. Is there a benefit?

I find the upgrades a lot more confusing than Egg Inc. Maybe because Egg ties them all together? Like, I know I need to upgrade vehicles there, because I need the space and it shows me that. I know to upgrade vehicles here because it makes my number go up...otherwise?

Granted I am a dummy. Is there a tutorial? I skipped it too. Also on iPad I see IMBLEBI when I open the app, like its zoomed in too far on the logo or something. Ok see if I can take a photo.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

So not a bug, but my fiancé accidentally spent her starting money on upgrades and then couldn't buy land. She was only on level two, and once I showed her that she could prestige it was alright, but she was really frustrated and confused for a minute. I'm not sure how often this would be a problem, and certainly wouldn't affect someone who has spent time with the game, but for the random person downloading this on a whim, this might cause then to uninstall pretty quickly.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Found some slightly inconsistent behaviour with the "have X of X" quests.

With the 2 Baseball Fields one, after I got my first baseball field the quest logged 1 of 2, and then when the baseball field got auto upgraded to something different, the quest stayed at 1 of 2 - suggesting that you only need to 'have' it in your city once per plot

But then with the 4 Starbits quest, when my first starbit got auto upgraded, the quest went from 1 of 4 to 0 of 4.

Which of these behaviours is intended? The first one is far less lovely, imho, because the second one entirely relies on you spotting a starbit and making it historic before your auto upgrade grabs it. Which is not fun.

Generally speaking, as someone who played Egg inc and your other games, the only thing I'd add to other's feedback is that the upgrade system is missing something vital that I've been struggling to put my finger on. With Egg, the ugprades were all super intuitive, easy to understand, and sensibly scaled. I'm not sure why, but in this the upgrades just feel completely arbitrary and hard to digest. I'm not sure if it's because of the wording, font, etc, but it's been bugging me. There's definitely something about the legibility and clarity of the upgrades that's just wide of the mark.

Otherwise, it's a fun little game. I don't think it quite feels like its own game yet, it really hews so close to Egg inc that it's basically chicken farms of different colour, but bitizens and a longer term attachment to your city would go a long way.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

The game is pretty satisfying to play, but I'd really love a list of which buildings go in which lots for the "Have X of this building" quests. I spent most of a city rerolling small lots for a baseball field... when they go in large ones. :downs:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

To balance out the critical feedback I've given, I should also tell you I've spent almost all of today playing with this- so it's got a hook, at least :)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
How do the prestige buildings work? Is the bonus only active when they're on the map, or is it a general overall bonus to income?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

causticBeet posted:

How do the prestige buildings work? Is the bonus only active when they're on the map, or is it a general overall bonus to income?

It's a general bonus

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

causticBeet posted:

I had the same question and marshmonkey chimed in already :)

IllegallySober posted:

marshmonkey posted:

Correct about how they work.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

One more piece of feedback before I go to bed- it feels weird to me that no matter what I build the bitizen count immediately jumps a static 1,000 every time. Even if it was the same result, I think I'd feel like I was progressing better if this was on a rolling count like everything else in the game. I'm probably not articulating this well but what I mean is if after you built something if it still went up the same 1,000, but took 10 or 15 or 30 seconds to get to that number.

Related- I always know to move on to the next city I have to build something in every single empty zone. Does this absolutely have to be the case? If I'm not coming back to these cities anyway, why couldn't I finish and move on with a few zones left undeveloped? Or, if I chose, I could stick around and fill out the city if I'm a completionist. I feel like this would go a long way toward getting out of the "check every box and move on to the next" mindset. You could award 2,000 or 3,000 bitizens for the larger zones (which frankly would make more sense anyway).

All right, enough out of me for tonight.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Please make ads respect in game audio settings. They play loud as gently caress and it's awful if you have headphones in.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I also just had my game wiped. I didn't touch the cloud stuff and was just reopening through the bank full notification. Doubt I can really give any more helpful information

B Is For Razor
Jun 21, 2007
After playing since last night with no issues, I just opened the app and all my progress (current city, unlocked locations, saved keys, piggy bank, purchased game upgrades) is lost. Galaxy Note Edge, Android version 6.0.1.

I also agree with the general thread consensus that having to restart cities is somewhat dissatisfying. I have no problem with pre determined lots, but would like to see some sort of actual difference between buildings (residential giving more bitizens, business more income, service maybe increasing car bonus rates). Even if all roads eventually lead to the same point, I feel like that sort of variety would open up the possibility of different city builds being more efficient. (At the moment, the best bet seems to start with all residential properties since Housing Taxes opens up sooner and is cheaper than other property specific upgrades.)

As a fan of idlers, I would continue to play the game as is, but I think some tweaks (and that bitizen ticker that was mentioned) could really make it something special within the genre.)

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

i dunno if you can even really call this game an 'idler', since you can make more money from about 10 seconds of clicking vehicles than several hours worth of idling gets you

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

the cool posts kid posted:

i dunno if you can even really call this game an 'idler', since you can make more money from about 10 seconds of clicking vehicles than several hours worth of idling gets you

This. I feel it's more like playing Bitcoin Billionaire than idling.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, are the "game" bonuses permanent/persistent? The ones you spend the green bills on?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, are the "game" bonuses permanent/persistent? The ones you spend the green bills on?

Yep, they stay when you prestige.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Are all the folks getting their games wiped playing on Android?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm too lazy to re-download Egg, Inc to compare, but ten minutes seems incredibly stingy for a doubler. When I play a session of this it tends to mean at least two or three ads, which is tiresome.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

graventy posted:

I'm too lazy to re-download Egg, Inc to compare, but ten minutes seems incredibly stingy for a doubler. When I play a session of this it tends to mean at least two or three ads, which is tiresome.

There are upgrades to increase it, but the base feels pretty low yeah.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
The "upgrade a building automatically every X seconds" needs some work. I think ideally, when the timer is ready it should STAY ready until you have a spare builder. Otherwise, the upgrade does effectively nothing, since the timer resets when it's full, and you have no way to predict when builders will next become available since you can't see timers on the lots you're currently upgrading.

Alternately (though this probably makes this upgrade too OP), let it be a bonus builder when the timer reaches full, so it doesn't affect your existing upgrades and there's no chance of accidentally missing out on the automated tick due to having all your builders working.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I think we are lucky in that the feedback has been so similar. Just spitballing, but what if population was tied to earnings instead of building count, and you could continue earning keys after reaching the population required to advance. The key earning rate would go up with each city but you could sit on a "completed" city for as long as you wanted without getting like you were wasting your time.

The one downside I see right off the bat is there wouldn't be much incentive to build more than a handful of buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yes, my save was wiped and I'm on Android.

I also agree that the duration of the doubler and it's upgrades are too short. I wouldn't mind a 10-minute base time if the upgrades added a lot more than 5 minutes apiece.

I'm guessing you guys thought this would be something played in short increments like your other games, but since the game discourages idle time with only 10% earnings, I bet sessions are significantly longer.

• Locked thread