Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I'm new to the NFL and I'm here for gentle ribbing and mockery as a Falcons fan. As a British soccer fan I'm used to stabbings from rival supporters so this all seems very civilised

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I'm feeling a bit like a glory hunter currently having picked the Falcons to support. Everyone in the Newbie thread at the end of last season warned me I was setting myself up for disappointment, which being a life long West Ham fan, I was totally at home with.

Weirdly I came close to picking the Bucs but Jesus that font they use on their shirt grosses me out. I'm hoping to get tickets to see the Saints in London next year just for some South solitary.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Jerome Agricola posted:

Now remember that the saints are like tottenhan to you.

Oh god.
Actually I'm struggling to get my head round the concept of rivalries in the NFL. I get we are all in the same division but then again so are 18 other teams in the EPL but Id only describe a handful as 'rivals' to West Ham and they are pretty much just the local clubs in London such as Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. I'm probably missing all sorts of historical and cultural contexts as a Brit.

The only teams I hate are the Patriots and the Broncos and that stems back to my childhood in the 80s when I briefly followed NFL when it first came to British tv. Both are massively popular in the UK in the same way Man Utd and Chelsea are massively popular in the US. Glory hunters.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 28, 2017

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Nystral posted:

The Bucs were basically supporting the Glazer family efforts to finance Man U during the first few years after the take over so gently caress Man U.

gently caress the Bucs too then

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I feel bad now

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

weird Asian candy posted:

I was probably one of the ones who warned you, lol. My heart and mind was in a good place my friend. I have been a Falcon's fan since 1989 when they drafted Deion Sanders and while there have been some really fun years, there has been a lot of pain and suffering.

This season has been something else though, you picked a great season to jump on board. The offense is hella fun to watch and seeing the defense literally learning how to play in the NFL before your eyes has been p cool.

1 week!

Cant wait, have taken the next day off work to recover because it will be gone 3am GMT by the time its all over. Will be wearing my lucky Freeman shirt.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I'm getting good feels from the sport in general. I'm aware this is gloriously naive but I feel utterly burned out on the EPL/FIFA etc and I've loved pretty much everything about getting in to it. Sure, my lucky pick of choosing the Falcons to support has helped that good feeling and I'm probably missing the cynical dark core that inevitably sits at the bottom of all professional sport but let this naive British newbie have his moment.

By next season close, I'm sure I will be bitter and miserable.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I was warned the Falcons would disappoint me.

Feels as expected

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lmao woke up to FB posts about glory hunting Falcons fans. Don't think the dude thought that insult through

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

This feels like the 2006 FA Cup final all over again. My team, underdogs, taking unexpected lead then the favourites clawing it back in dying seconds for us to lose in extra time. People call that the greatest final ever too.

Except this time I've had 2 hrs sleep.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 6, 2017

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Weirdly, as a very recent (Feb 16) fan of the Falcons (and football full stop) I can kind of live with the result. Winning would have been great but kind of like peaking too soon.

Im aware 99.99999999999999% of Falcons fans would probably break my nose for saying that.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Im British.

Im used to suffering

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Its interesting to hear your perspectives as established fans. Im curious as to why its like that in Atlanta. I know nothing about the city really other than spending 3 nights partying there back in 95. In fact my recollection of the city is super hazy other than I liked it much better than Memphis where I had just spent a few weeks crashing on someones sofa.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Also can some wiser and more experienced heads try and clue me up as to what Shanahan and Ryan were doing on that drive with 5 mins on the clock and on the 40 yard line? Why didnt they just hand it to Freeman 3 items, take a yard or two, run the clock down and then get Bryant on for a FG?

Was this the point they choked, or was there a better plan and Im missing something obvious as a noob?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

What's a restricted free agent? They refer to Taylor Gabriel as one

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Kalli posted:

When a drafted player that's only been in the league for 3 seasons with a team has their contract run out, they're a Restricted free agent, and their current team can put a 1st, 2nd or other* round tender on them which is a 1 year deal that's like $3m for a 1st, $2m for a second and $1.5m for other.

However, another team can make that player an offer and then their original club can either match it or give up the listed draft pick as compensation to get the player on that contract.

*Other is the round the player was originally drafted in with some exclusions I forget.

So basically any good player gets a 1st round tender and then nobody signs them to a giant contract because gently caress giving up your 1st round pick.

Jesus this poo poo is complicated. Is there any good resources for understanding the whole transfer/draft system. Soccer transfers system is so much more simple.

Thanks for the info.

Also lol at the lack of memes. My social media has been inundated. 😟
Even loving Madden 17 is mocking me. Wishing I'd never downloaded that new commentary update.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I wish I had a clue about how the off season works. Feels like I'm missing out

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

A Pale Horse posted:

What do you want to know?

Basically you can divide the off season into 5 parts. First from immediately following the super bowl until free agency is a mostly dead period where the only interesting things happening are players announcing retirement or getting arrested for doing stupid poo poo. Second you have free agency which begins with the official new league year. This is a time when free agents and unsigned players are able to negotiate with whichever team they wish to see if they can get paid a lot of money somewhere. The first 24 hours of free agency are especially exciting because most of the really good players get signed within that first 24 period. Third you have the time from after the first week of free agency until the NFL draft where everyone obsesses over who their team will draft and reads and makes 1000 mock drafts a day put out by "experts" who rarely make more than 20% correct selections in their analysis. After the Draft you have the second dead period where nothing really exciting happens except for maybe more arrests of players and this lasts until training camp begins, usually in July. Training camp and the preseason are the fifth period and they're mostly exciting for seeing which of your starters manages to get themselves seriously injured without playing a meaningful snap of football and if your quarterback reports to camp 30 pounds overweight. There's always some story about some scrappy undrafted free agent who's definitely going to make the team only to get cut in the first round of cuts too.

This is super helpful. Thanks

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lol the Falcons pick.

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/857795477844226048

A legend in the making?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

We are definitely going all in for the aggressive defence

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Same

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

While we are on the topic of poor pass protection, Devonta Freeman is about to sign a big 5 year extension that will make him one of the highest paid RBs.

Outside of the whiffed block in the SB, Freeman has been great so I'm good with it. Means Coleman will be gone after his rookie contract is up though which kinda sucks :smith:

Glad for Freeman but gonna miss Coleman. He was great last season.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

BlindSite posted:

NFC South owns, all of our teams are hilariously flawed in some fashion, all of them are fun to watch and there's no way to tell which team is going to be poo poo, go 8-8 of have a shot at a ring.

Yep.

Also as a Falcons fan I've got tickets to see the Saints at Wembley Stadium. I feel I should be cheering the Dolphins on, but i'm having bizarre notions of South solidarity.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

What? No. gently caress the Saints, geaux the Dolphins!

Lol. Nah I'm going with the Dolphins. They have a home town (tenuous) boy playing

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

I was pullin for Cam so hard too. gently caress Peyton Manning, gently caress Brady, and gently caress Aaron Rodgers.

I can get behind this

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

I'm glad his entire family drowned in the bayou.

Same

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Hey, I'm an Australian who has never watched an NFL game in my life. My local pub is doing an NFL draft though and I get half priced meals all season and a free beer whenever my team wins.

I got the New Orleans Saints.

What do I need to know and how hosed am I? :v:

Fairly. Then again use this as an opportunity to start watching NFL and join us other non Americans enjoying this silly sport. It's good actually

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

gently caress that was a tense ending

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Not gonna lie, woke up in a good mood once I saw the Falcons result.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Going to my first NFL game this weekend. Sadly no South teams at this one. Ravens V Jags.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Trip report from my very first NFL game.

Lmao Ravens

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

aw man the Bucs lost

at least the Falcons are doing what they do best too

Tell me about it. Maybe I should have picked the Jags. They gave me a little flag to wave at Wembley. I'm half way there

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Wtf just happened

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I didn’t stand for the US anthem at Wembley on Sunday. They played the UK anthem after and I sat for that too coz gently caress standing for that if I can’t bring myself to stand for your one, as the UK is just as poo poo and has been even longer. Everyone else around me stood but no one gave me any poo poo.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I freaking love Takk so so much :allears:

Same.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lol the Saints are trash. Only saved by the fact Miami are worse. Most 'entertainment' has been my son trolling me by pointing out every Tom Brady shirt he sees.

Saints do seem to have a lot of fans here though

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

My favourite bit was the triple fumble

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

This is loving terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin