Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I hate Atlanta but that's just because I lived there for so long and was exposed to their fans.

This year has been the worst. I had a friend that went on a restaurants fb page and ripped them apart because they decided they were going to be a Packers bar and "not support the home team". He went on to say how awful the place is (it's not) and stuff like that.

I've known this guy for 6-7 years and I honestly for the life of me cannot remember him watching or going to a Falcons game before the playoffs this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was less that he was giving them poo poo about deciding they were a packers bar and more that he was disparaging the actual restaurant, having people go and give them low rating and posting false reviews. Then he shared it on his fb like "hey look what I did!".

The restaurant isn't even a place people would think to go to watch games anyway, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait until they knock that piece of poo poo to the ground

e: and that's not even me saying that as a rival fan. The Georgia Dome just sucks all kinds of rear end and the new stadium is going to be awesome.

Can't wait to watch Tennessee play there before the Falcons even get a chance to :smug:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone said this earlier today but I'm too lazy to fact check but in todays world that means you can take it as gospel but apparently the NFC South is now the only division to have every team represented in the Super Bowl since the realignment.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

I didn't know this thread existed.

Yeah we didn't want you to know which is why no one told you :getout:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

All four NFC South teams are going to the Super Bowl in a row. Bucs are up in 2018.

That would mean the Saints would go in '19 and I don't think Brees will still be around then

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'd be pretty happy with a Super Bowl loss after what the Bucs have been through in recent memory, excluding this year.

Progress!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

big money big clit posted:

I'd rather not join the SuperBowl losers club like some other teams in the division.

We can't be, we've already won one!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah such a unaggressive comeback of mild annoyance

"I hope you get a bill you weren't expecting"

"I hope you get comfy on the couch to watch TV then realize the remote is too far away to reach"

"I hope you step on a lego"

Nah that last one is just mean.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

Also, I'll get you that cert soon, when I feel like not being dead for a period of longer than like 20 minutes.

I'm not worried about it, whenever you get around to it. I wasn't going to bring it up for a while anyway given the situation

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Plus, you talk about the mother of Super Bowl hangovers, Atlanta is going to have this hanging around their necks for a loooooong time. Look what happened to Carolina this year. Hell, even when the Saints win, the next year was the 7-9 BEAST MODE playoff game first round loss.

Can Atlanta make it back to the playoffs next year? Sure. Do I think they will? Nope.

Bucs went 4-12 the year after their Super Bowl

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

Check your PM's Joey Freshwater.

Thanks dude

Now I just have to come up with something new to replace my current avatar...

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
poo poo thats good but I really don't like Jameis and would rather not have him as my avatar if I can avoid it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember when the Bucs mattered a decade and a half ago

Can't hear you over all these ring

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Varsity isn't too far away from there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Why would you do this to yourself

Because every suburbanites answer to "where should I go eat in atlanta?" when someone is in from out of town is the Varsity.

We got jokes

e: last time I was at the varsity was probably a decade ago when I was meeting a guy I found on Craigslist selling a Zune. He gets out of his car and goes to hand me the Zune to look at and drops it, shattering the screen and popping the back piece off. I just walked away and got an Orange drink thing.

Hindsight being 20/20 I'm feeling that was gods way of protecting me from owning a Zune.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 9, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Pale Horse posted:

Lmao at Giraffe American Mike Glennon going to the bears for 14.5 mil a year.

He only accounts for like 8% of the Bears total cap. 14.5 is not a lot of money when the cap is 167 million and increasing every year.

By comparison of Ryan, Rodgers and Luck, those guys make up 15-16% of their teams total cap. Qb contracts are ridiculous.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

this is a very bizarre scenario where the only people defending a player's contract are the fans of the team he used to be a backup on

I mean, I'm not saying that he'll be great or even good, so I don't know if that's defending him. I just think it's a little ridiculous the way everyone has been making GBS threads all over him like he's the worst QB ever and that the deal he got was some huge mistake. He accounts for so little of the cap because of the increases in yearly numbers. 15m/year isn't the same as it used to be. He was mediocre on some loving awful teams. The kid went through like 3 head coaches and 6 offensive coordinators in 4 years.

I just think it's a little premature to call him a bust, or at least go so over the top like people have been doing, but I guess that's how things go here.

A Pale Horse posted:

I've been at work all day but apparently the Bucs are going to sign DeSean Jackson? Pretty sweet. He's getting a little long in the tooth for a speedster receiver but hopefully he still has 2-3 years left of his peak.

No numbers yet that I've seen but a few sites, namely Pewter Report, have said it's a done deal.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 9, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Pale Horse posted:

I cheered for Giraffe Man when he was with the Bucs, and always thought we had a top 5 backup the past two years, but now he's on another team so I can't exactly say I wish for him to be a superstar. He was fine for the situation he had to deal with, which as you've explained, was extremely lovely, but he's taken 11 real snaps in the past two years and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in preseason games either so its hard to predict what he's become. People are right to be skeptical.

Skeptical sure but if you've read these boards and people's opinions and seen "skeptical" then I must be reading it completely wrong.

I'm skeptical he'll do well. You seem to be. Everyone else I've read has already written him off and awful and should be removed from the league.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know why I'm even as involved with it as I have been. I don't care what other teams do unless it directly affects the Bucs. Maybe I think he got shafted in Tampa and hope he does well, idk.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

So the Bucs are basically paying DJax what they paid VJax last year. Nice upgrade.

Remember when VJax signed that contract and the total numbers were $55,555,555 over however many years and he said he wanted it to be all 5's because his QB was #5?

And that QB was Josh Freeman?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

I had such high hopes for Freeman.

Same, those first couple years of his were awesome - I thought the franchise QB had been found and I still 100% believe that Schiano broke him and I'll hate him forever for it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Hope they figure Poe's back issues....

Falcons know all about having their backs broken so he should be fine

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

weird Asian candy posted:

More like they know we are going...back...to the superbowl :smug:

Also gently caress Shanahan...

I could have spotted you 25 words and you still wouldn't have been able to come up with a better response.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We could probably use him in Tampa but first there would need to be qualifiers. Is Sherman married? If so is his wife on Twitter? If she is is she batshit crazy?

If the answer to any of these is no then we don't want him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just to be clear I was kidding about Sherman. I don't want him on the Bucs.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's entirely dependent on how Doug Martin returns. He's still on the hook for 3 years I think so if he comes back (after his suspension) and plays well, we'll be fine there. As much as I don't want them to, I think the Bucs also draft a RB in round 1.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

If they take a RB in the first Martin will be cut.

Right, which is understandable, I just think that if you take a RB in the first he should be a generational talent and there's not one this year. A majority of Bucs fans want Cook but I think a lot of that is FSU fans.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of that fantasy football commercial where Chris Simms was dropping footballs in trashcans from like 50 yards out.

e: found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVG6FFWykH4

all of these are hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUYuTw_8pQU

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 4, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How dumb would I be to go to that Packers/Bucs game in December?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
games at GB in december are just one of those legendary things you hear about.

I've already been to a Bears game since moving here and it was pretty cool but it was preseason so it was still relatively warm.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Don't. I live in North Dakota and my die hard Packer friends don't even go to winter games in GB. They all say it's miserable.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to the Bucs @ Vikings game in late September.

I was also eyeing that game as an alternative. Chicago to Minneapolis isn't a terrible drive and flights are cheap as hell.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Saints are close to signing AP per NFL.com

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dammit I just posted this in the N/V thread from insta. Using Twitter was smarter

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kinda miffed that this will be the second time the Bucs play the Bears since I moved to Chicago and both games have been in Tampa.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I doubt he winds up as more than a backup anyway.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
dont stop im almost there

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To be fair what led up to that was the Bucs posting a link to Bucs branded fidget spinners which is inexcusable.

e: oh holy gently caress the jersey numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

weird Asian candy posted:

Yeah, it's going to be more annoying than hurtful tbh. Like every Falcons related tweet ever since the Superbowl has multiple morons posting 28-3 like it means anything other than the fact that they are unoriginal at this point.

28-3

:smug:

• Locked thread