Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

weird Asian candy posted:

Very good gifs for a very good player.

/tips cap

I've always loved Jonathan Stewart. Classic north/south guy, great moves, incredible strength, always gaining tons of yards after contact. Good end-zone jumps too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckdFP0OFWB8

wandler20 posted:

If you have a good kicker, you pay him.

Bucs fans know this fact and they know it deeply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Well, if you hate the New Orleans Saints, the good news is that they won't exist in 3 years. They'll be some other, larger market's team.

The biggest available market is literally a THIRD team in the New York area, perhaps New Jersey.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Move the Saints to the surface of the moon, pioneers of low-G football. Drew Brees receives anti-aging injections and throws for 50,000 yards in the first season of the extraterranean football league

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

I'm 1/32 nfc south

Same you got that 23andMe thing too?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The weakest link in those odds is probably the Falcons, but with them it's super hard to tell. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting much money on any of those teams.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Is this Winston's last chance?

Not even close. He's been passing for decent yardage and he's still young and cheap. They are all in and I don't think he'll ever play horribly enough to change that. With all their other problems, do they really need to be hunting down a QB right now

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I like how the author admits that he has no good arguments for why they should be higher lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lamar Jackson is visiting the Saints. fml

He's the only QB out of the top guys people talk about that will likely still be available for the Saints. I think he'd be a great choice assuming Brees still has a couple years in him, which seems likely. Mayfield would involve trading up and that would be a very costly move for this draft where a lot of other teams are hoping to move up to grab one of the top QBs.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That sounds like him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's just getting off social media. poo poo would be so annoying for a pro athlete as popular as Julio and he's never enjoyed the spotlight

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm gonna be p salty when Matt and Julio retire with 0 rings tbh

I'm not even a Falcons fan and I agree with this. I do wonder if they've already had their best chance last season and the one before, it seems like the league (especially the NFC) is getting better around them while they stay mostly the same.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel like with all that's going on with that organization this will be their worst season in a while. Cam can always surprise me though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

In retrospect, it's pretty clear no one coaching the panthers understood why the offense was working.

This is what I see. The whole thing looked cobbled together last year. Everything about that offense seemed like a mess with Cam occasionally making them look good. Now they're a year older and nothing much else has changed

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Am I wrong in thinking Ridley looks Bryant-ish? Big bodied and capable but lacking polish in all the wrong places?

Totally wrong. I don't think he's as big and he's actually pretty polished, quick and plays close to the ground. He was a huge producer at the college level. I always really liked DJ Moore too, he's quick, excellent after catch, a guy that's always gonna get you yards. I think he's gonna be a star and I was happy to see him go as the first wideout

I'm really surprised at Davenport. I think he has the potential to be great but he shows some worrying signs of not really "getting it" as far as football and technique

Play
Apr 25, 2006

whoa

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

The full picture is better, I dont know why that one is cropped

e: it’s a different angle but still this pic is better

I'm the guy in the front row who's seen it all before

Tatsuta Age posted:

Seems like this falcons draft was good?

I feel like the Falcons have had one of the better drafts so far even though it's been super low key. They have the advantage of being a really solid team so while other teams are basically forced to reach at a position they take the guys that are falling. Nabbing the consensus number one wide receiver late in the first, then one of the better corners who fell way farther than anyone expected.

I have no idea who Deadrin Senat is and I'm not totally convinced that's a real person but if it is, A+ on the name alone. The Saints as another solid team should've followed the falcons strategy rather than... whatever it they were trying to do.

The Bucs seemed to do well but it all depends on Vea. He's huge but he seems somewhat gimmicky. They were soft as gently caress against the run last year though so if he changes that it's a pick well made. I do really like RoJo and Carlton Davis.

Panthers picks seem solid. I always thought DJ Moore might be the top guy this year so it was cool they went that way too. Don't know anything about their third rounder.

Overall a good day for the NFC South imo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

That's the dumbest formation I've ever seen

Yeah it's really weird. I mean it might make sense if he's running a route from there but pass protection? The only way it would make any kind of sense is that it was supposed to be a T/RB double team and the tackle took the inside instead. So unfair for that little dude!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

The last Saints JT Quarterback didn't work so well.

This one won't either

Play
Apr 25, 2006

He's a bit slow maybe? But he's a great zone runner and very good post-contact. I think someone posted that he somehow had the highest PFF grade of all RBs last season which was pretty weird but he's absolutely serviceable.

The only way I can explain him being signed so late is that he was holding out for a richer contract

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Apparently it's looking more and more like it will be David Tepper, a hedge fund guy who already owns a stake in the Steelers (5% = 122 million dollars) and that the sale will almost certainly be a record. It's likely to be over 2.5 billion dollars.

At least it isn't the payday lending guy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wandler20 posted:

having talented TE's is cool and good and I'm glad the Bucs have Brate and OJ.

That duo won't miss a step. I expect that Howard will slowly begin to get more snaps and more targets this year, exactly how you want to develop a young tight end. Brate is super reliable and still extremely young. Those two could easily be the best tight end group in the division for some time imo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lmao he does actually look like a cartoon character. The man is much too wide to be a normal human

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm just gonna watch the games illegally and post here. All those complaints are correct and accurate so I'm going to have as little to do with the NFL as possible beyond watching these amazing players do their thing. I feel you though, poo poo seems really really dark this offseason. But what can I say I'm addicted to the game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

We signed Terrance West.

2x NFC South championship clinched.

Transparent attempt to replace Ingram four 4 games that won't work. Although I'm glad there will be someone there to take some pressure off Kamara. Saints cannot afford to lose him early

Play
Apr 25, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Brees is pretty good at not taking sacks for a slow old dude, but it would be hilarious to see him scramble for a first down.

I think this happened at some point last year to everyone's amazement? Maybe in a playoff game?

He scrambled for a freakin touchdown in that one game last season where the team ran for over 300 yards. Pretty sure Kamara, Ingram and Brees all got touchdowns on the ground that game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nothing persay. I just can't justify his contract at this point in time...tho admittedly, not entirely sure what the backup qb salaries go for these days but I feel like his $4.5m cap hit is a little...excessive.

In all honestly, I just thought it was a hilarious way to have your backup qb close out mini camp.

That's definitely one of the higher cap hits for a backup and probably Shaub not worth it. Nick Foles is getting 13M, Sam Bradford over 10, Bridgewater 6M (but those three may very well start games). Most backups are well under 3 with the majority even under 1 million.

It probably seems like a waste no matter how much it is when you have a QB like Matty Ice who has only missed two games in his entire frickin career

Play
Apr 25, 2006

If you've been to two pro bowls do they count you twice

Play
Apr 25, 2006

These quarterbacks just can't keep their hands to themselves :buddy: Let's see if the d line can return the favor! We're getting rapey down in Pittsburgh for Monday... Night.... Fooootbaaalllll

Play
Apr 25, 2006

btw apparently Jameis grabbed the woman's crotch. I had kind of assumed it was the tits, but that's those long qb arms for you

Play
Apr 25, 2006

don't worry he'd find a way to lose (the election)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

This offseason is taking forever.

I'm so desperate I've started watching footy despite barely understanding it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So many TRADE DAT DIVA NOW posts! As far as the eye can see...

LMAO @ the Falcons w/out Julio Jones

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Honestly, they don't use him as much as they should now, considering how good he is.

Dude he had 1,444 receiving yards last season. And he's capable of quite a bit more, as we saw the two years before that. Losing that kind of production would totally change that offense for the worse. I would also contend that it'd be nice for him to get more touchdowns but he is naturally a more middle of the field threat and he can't be held responsible for every touchdown the Falcons didn't get in the red zone.

I don't want to watch any Falcons team that doesn't have Julio Jones on it, basically.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Agreed! And also the ones that do have him on it.

Hey now don't be throwing shade on my double negative

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think Sarkesian is the one thing most likely to hold the Falcons back next season

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Cmc dropped just one pass last year.

Dem hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNukXWYm0fI

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's a brutal NFL. I mean if you think about it on average, if parity was nearly perfect you'd GO to the super bowl every 16 years and WIN the super bowl every 32 years. 32 years is a long loving time and then you factor in things like "not being the patriots or the broncos" and you've got a long wait ahead of you.

The good news is I do believe the super bowl is gonna open up a little with Brady gone. The bad news is he's not gone yet and the NFC is as competitive as it ever has been. If the Falcons moved to the AFC I'd give them a 25% chance to win the super bowl straight up

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I watch Winston's first game against Mariota the other day. What a loving travesty. I can't believe people have kept on believing he's just about to turn the corner for three years now

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Stop fighting guys, you both had really bad playcallers.

Anyways I wasn't trying to start an argument. It was just a really funny game between two guys who will forever be linked. This coming season should show once and for all who's the better QB. My money is still on Mariota but hey you never know. In THAT GAME (and only that game, no commentary on the future) it was amazing how much better prepared Mariota was, how much quicker he was, how much more accurate. Faster release. More athletic. Everything basically. Winston looked totally lost. I agree with you that he has improved though and I think they both have a chance to be decent to good QBs.

Quick question though, why the hell didn't Dirk Koetter get let go after last season??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

*Team starts doing no huddle which means Mariota is calling the plays and not robeski* HOLY poo poo THE BALL IS MOVING

Right? On the first series I remember them going no huddle and Mariota calling three run pass options from the shotgun in a row. Every single one went for 15 yards +. Now that I think about it that might have been before Robiskie but whoever it was still sucked

wandler20 posted:

Speaking of which, I'd have a hard time finding a division with more weapons than the NFCS.

Julio Jones
Calvin Ridley (R)
Devonta Freeman
Tevin Coleman
Mo Sanu
Michael Thomas
Ted Ginn
Alvin Kamara
Mark Ingram
Mike Evans
Desean Jackson
OJ Howard
Cam Brate
Chris Godwin
Ronald Jones (R)
Greg Olsen
Devin Funchess
DJ Moore (R)

The crazy part is only three guys on the list are over 30, DJax, Olsen, and Ginn.

Yeah I don't think you can argue that the NFCS has the best skill position players. What's cool about those older dudes is they are some of the best players. Jackson and Ginn in particular are easily two of my favorite WRs. I have a thing for savvy veterans who can still go deep and run right past the coverage

• Locked thread