Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Silly Burrito posted:

Never made much sense for the Saints, Panthers, and Falcons to be in the NFC "West" anyway. Can't say I'm hurt about the 49ers falling from grace after the dominance of the 80s.

In 1970 it could have been:

The Cowboys and the three current NFC West teams that existed in 1970
Today's NFC North without the Vikings and the Rams and 49ers
The Cowboys, the Saints, and the Rams and 49ers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

How come this division has that legacy of strong defenses? Is it just consistent drafting and recruitment or what?

I know it is a joke about Seahawks fans but the actual answer here is recency bias.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I'm going to use an admittedly flawed statistic but I think it is pretty demonstrative:

Since re-alignment, the NFC West, taken together, had the best scoring defense in the league from 2012 through 2015. It had an above average scoring defense in 2011.

By contrast, it had the worst scoring defense from 2004 through 2008. Every other year was below average, including three years when the division had the second worst scoring defense.

In that same time frame, the AFC North had only two below average seasons.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

God, how have we offended you that I'm getting sympathy from Chiche ?

Chiche is the Holy Ghost of Seahawks posters after Wheeze ascended.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Did the waitstaff forget to tell the kitchen to burn your toast again, Mr. Nantz?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I'd say Seattle got way better on defense, not so much on offense. Only one offensive line pick early on, and a WR pick. The rest was spent rebuilding our defensive line and secondary, which I'm pretty okay with.

Yeah. By the same token, I'm not convinced the 49ers got better on offense unless you are projecting a lot of production from Joe Williams or really like blocking TEs or just figure anything is better than last year.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

hifi posted:

if we're comparing disaster situations then i'd rather have gabbert than logan thomas or ryan lindley

I suppose 2-14 is better than 1-15 but the difference is usually meaningless.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Remove the “good defenses” from the title.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Ugh. At least it wasn’t technically a first round pick (even if it is pick 33 or 34).

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Firing Harbaugh was obviously foolish but I kind of wonder whether it wasn’t inevitable. His personality is grating, there is always a team that he can’t seem to beat (Oregon, the Seahawks, Ohio State) and the team was definitely on the decline by that last season. At least this way Jed may have learned (to be determined) that he is an idiot rather than being able to pass the blame onto Harbaugh for not winning a Super Bowl until the end of his life.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I’m not saying Harbaugh was the problem with the team, he was a key part of the reason they were winning, but I think that even if Jed had somehow made the right decision that year and fired Baalke, the team wasn’t likely to return to a championship level for a few seasons. So you know Jed would then blame Harbaugh anyway with the excuse being the above mentioned characteristics.

E: Admittedly, I’m also apparently an old white man at heart and can understand why people tire of Harbaugh because his meltdowns get old quickly and would get particularly old if you weren’t going to the NFC Championship every year.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 9, 2017

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Aren’t Michigan fans already channeling their inner Jed York because Harbaugh’s teams keep choking in big games?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

It doesn’t matter, Jimmy G will surely single handedly win us the Super Bowl next year.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

The Patriots would have gone 19-0 with Jimmy G[OAT].

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Spoeank posted:

I like where your brains at.

The young Niners are so fun because the good Niners before were a mix of bad dudes (mcdonald, brooks, aldon, cox) and angry guys (harbaugh, crabtree, etc). Young Niners mob their fg kicker in a meaningless december game. Go fuckin Jimmy G go fuckin Shanahan and go fuckin John Lynch.

:unsmith:

I think I'm swept up in the energy at Levis yesterday. It was literally the first fun game there since Tomsula's debut (which was the only other fun game there)

This is a fun team and even if they aren’t actually good for another few years, it is the best I have felt about football in a while.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I was thinking 12 birds with one stone.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

It’s been said many times, many ways: Jimmy G, he good.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

RIP, although I agree the sentiment seems to be that he won’t necessarily be cut. The additional weapons related charges could push it over the top.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Does Pete hook all his players up Clockwork Orange style to watch Loose Change?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Spoeank posted:

BYE BITCH

Why do you want the Seahawks to become better and more likable by cutting Sherman?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

It’s a privilege to witness the death of the Seahawks.

I wish I had saved that post from the guy who was sad about not having blue Fridays at the office anymore.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of my post where I made a point that in 2013 and 14 that it was unthinkable that someone wouldn't wear Seahawks gear on Friday, but in 2015 and on people stopped caring to do it.

Yeah, that was it.

I hope Judy and Rich from Point Reyes are friends with the president of the Crescent Park Neighborhood Association, noted “average millionaire,” because I want to go to a party with them all some time.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

warcrimes posted:

lmao if anyone thinks the Seahawks are dead.

Counterpoint: you thought the Browns would be good or at the very least better this year.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Since we are doing bold predictions: I can’t wait for the Rams to look like a Super Bowl contender (with the help of the NFL intervening in the officiating to fix a few games for the sake of succeeding in LA) and then go one and done in the playoffs again.

Or they’ll win the Super Bowl, regress, and move to St. Louis in a decade and a half.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Good to see Bradford fully embracing the snowbird lifestyle after Minnesota. Hopefully he finds a retirement home with good connections to orthopedic surgeons.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

hifi posted:

the chorizo burger from whataburger, that you can still get if you beg and plead at the second closest whataburger from my house, is going to unlock josh rosen's all-pro talents

Chorizo? Looks like those talents are going to stay locked up!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

The 2017 49ers were 13 points away (including two fixed calls from the NFL to favor the Rams) from going 11-5 and have upgraded everywhere except RB and LB and are thus going to go 19-0 with a Super Bowl win this season.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Imagine sincerely believing the things that Lord Waffle Beard posts.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

The Rams and the NFL conspired in their meetings. All at once the teams were moved and scattered in the fray. No city could resist their arms, from Phoenix and Seattle on - being cut off at one time. A camp was taken down in St. Louis. They desolated its people and its city was like that which had never existed. They were coming forward toward San Francisco, while the flame was prepared for them. Their confederation was Donald, Suh, Peters, Talib, and Gurley, players united. They laid their hands upon the gridiron as far as the circuit of the earth, their hearts were confident and trusting as they said "Our plans will succeed!"

But the heart of this quarterback, the lord of the quarterbacks, was prepared and ready to ensnare them like sheep.

Lo, the southern team, which is in Los Angeles, is restless in their limbs; they infest the ways of the bay. Their nostrils and their hearts cease breathing breath, when his excellence goes forth like a storm-wind against them, fighting upon the strand like a warrior. His puissance and the terror of him penetrate into their limbs. Tackled in their places, their hearts are taken, their passes fly astray, and their defensive weapons are cast aside. His passes pierce their secondary, and he who is hit falls into the endzone. He is like an enraged lion, tearing him that confronts him with his hands fighting at close quarters on his right, valiant on his left, like Steve Young, destroying the foe, like Joe Montana. He has laid low the teams, he has crushed every team with his arm, the quarterback of San Francisco and Santa Clara, the Lord of the Two Lands, Jimmy Garoppolo.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The defensive coordinator stated that of the 7 times they practiced against it, they never stopped it. Just because there was a freak outcome doesn't mean the decision was incorrect.

If they had practiced it with a garbageman in the place of a wide receiver, their success rate would have been higher.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Seattle is so bad that Wilson is abandoning them to create a team in Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

An exclusive source leaked the plot to me: Sherman will finally get loads of calls against him as he tries to compensate for losing that extra step he never really had.

• Locked thread