Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

King Hong Kong posted:

I know it is a joke about Seahawks fans but the actual answer here is recency bias.

I don't know, there might be a little more to it than that. The 49ers had a solid, what, drat near 20 years of excellent defense from around 1980 to the end of the 90s to go along with Montana/Young. They weren't actually in the NFC West at the time but if the Seahawks were good at anything it was likely to be defense for the same period (well that and throwing the ball to Largent when he was around).

Yeah I guess it's just those two teams though. The Cardinals were rarely good at anything but look to have been more often competitive offensively than defensively. The Rams had a few years of good defense but both during the Dickerson years and obviously the greatest show on turf it was offense that ran that team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shindragon posted:

Jed York is a fuckboi through and through. You know it hurt him when Jim told him he couldn't join the meetings because he wasn't a man.

This makes it boring and unfun but I pretty much believe the version of this story that goes he told York the meeting was for 'the men' which he always called the players.

Or maybe it makes it better since Jed York is so unwound that he could misinterpret Harbaugh that badly, I don't know.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shindragon posted:

The only redeeming thing or maybe most hilarious was Tomsula's one year era. Dude is just not a headcoach but goddamn I still chuckled when he actually farted in a press conference and he tried to cover it up.

I have never seen a man more scared of saying something wrong than his first public interview as head coach. I mean it was a total softball 'get to know you' thing with a team friendly guy and everything, but Tomsula was so utterly terrified of the whole thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean he can't be worse right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just wait until we draft a bunch of waffles.

Draft some chicken too and nothing will be wasted.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost Dog posted:

get this: the 49ers lmao

I don't think signing your fullback is what makes the 49ers lmao thing work.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh, right. I legit forgot this.

Also I really, really wanted to say that Jed is a mess, and Jed is a waste.

Wait until you find out who your GM is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benny the Snake posted:

Seattle stepped on a rake-Atlanta ran off a cliff and didn't realize they were running on thin air 'till the fourth quarter.

If that's the case I'll take Wile E Coyote over Sideshow Bob any day.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coldforge posted:

Still don't ask about the 49ers offense, though. Especially their QBs.

Haha. I was thinking maybe they'd go QB for that last pick but...that is not the QB I was expecting to hear.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

Wheres my 50k

I'd assume step one is having NFL talent at running back. Then step two is eating so much someone puts this into your contract.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

Tre Mason has re-emerged in Saskatchewan, along with Zac Stacey for some reason. Canada loves below-average former Rams running backs.

Huh, I'd completely forgotten about him. I remember him looking pretty decent when healthy as a rookie and then he just disappeared.

I'd also completely forgotten about all this:

quote:

Following the 2015 season and going into the 2016 season, it was reported that Mason had not been in contact with coaches or players from the Rams since the end of the season.[14] Coach Jeff Fisher stated "I tried numerous times to reach him, he has made a decision not to communicate with us, not to talk. Not talking to his teammates. Right now we're more concerned about his well-being than we are his football career."[15] Mason had several run-ins with the law and displayed erratic behavior throughout the summer.[16][17] On July 30, the Rams placed Mason on the reserve/did not report list.

Probably just trying to get away from Jeff Fisher really.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d argue that Brian Schottenheimer is calling the plays, so it drat well could get worse.

I love that Brian went to Georgia where they grow amazing running back prospects in labs on campus or something and the offensive problems actually often could have been solved by running the damned ball. Which is the only thing he might be good at.

And he sucked there too and got Mark Richt fired.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

And if you want to use FO to bolster your argument maybe you’d like to list where hey actually rank him for the last couple of years.

So people don't have to look this up since you're a jerk and made me curious. League ranks:

2017 - DYAR (total production): 13th DVOA (per play): 15th
2016 - DYAR: 14 DVOA: 15
2015 - 3 & 3
2014 - 13 & 14
2013 - 9 & 8
2012 - 8 & 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I believe players have been sued to recoup signing bonuses too. From a quick google Mike Vick, Aldon Smith and Martellus Bennett were (although the Packers lost their suit against Bennett).

I guess Barry Sanders had to give some money back to the Lions too when he retired.

• Locked thread