Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bwahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

“Obviously I need to drive it a little more to get it there,” Walsh told reporters. “So in hindsight, that’s what I would do is drive it more and not leave it short.”

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

blaine got drat gabbert

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the afc wests reign of best division in football was even shorter than the nfc wests

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Play posted:

I admit don't really understand much about franchise tags and minimum salary requirements, could you explain this a bit more?

An exclusive franchise tag means a team will pay that player no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player is not allowed to negotiate with other teams.

so you're spending top 5 qb money for one year when you have a lot of money to burn anyways. it's like what happened with kirk cousins except that got all hosed up in the end

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

vernon davis wins the war

it's insane that kam knocked 3 or 4 years of football out of him in one shot

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Play posted:

So basically, despite the fact that it isn't totally clear at all that Garoppolo is worth it, the 49ers may as well do it in order to meet the minimum for four year salaries? Wouldn't it make more sense to just pay more good players? Why have the 49ers even been rolling over cap room, doesn't that partially explain why they suck so hard? Wouldn't it be better for the 49ers to actually see if Cousins gets the Redskins tag and if not they could pick him up or someone else proven? Is there even a lot of evidence that Jimmy G is worth it? Also, I've only ever heard of franchise tags in reference to quarterbacks, is that a common thing at all at other positions?

Sorry this has turned into question hour, I've never understood much about the financial side of the game. I understand the concept of salary caps and not much else.

they need a few years of decent drafts to fill out the roster. you can't build a team in free agency.

the prevailing wisdom for building a team now is to get your franchise qb and then build your team around him.

as for kirk, they'd still probably drop everything and try if that happened but the 49ers would have some of the worst odds to pull that off.

one of the famous franchise tags was when jimmy graham got tagged as a TE with the saints and went to arbitration because he wanted the WR designation with the extra ~3MM that came with it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

no tds and an int is what id want out of the 49ers qb of the future

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

blaine gabbert is the good quarterback

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the nfcw going from the best division in football to the worst back to the best in a span of like 4 years would be wild

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they have like 1 good win but maybe calais campbell can teach the rest of the team how to sack wilson and you fail your initiative roll for heading east.

thinking about it a bit more, the cards and the colts shut down fournette and bortles sucks so they don't match up well on offense vs the hawks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lmao the guy we probably get back from IR is a long snapper

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

he got them their first top 10 season since 2006 and he's 28-10 through 3 years. he's fine

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im getting Trumped by my dad over baker mayfield. he wants to trade into 1OA to pick him and the heisman threw a truck of gasoline on that fire

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i subscribe to the theory that if you have a good quarterback everything else doesn't really matter, but they need to replace some expensive guys next year and also maybe think about getting more guys in the secondary and at o line

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

looks more like the tackle is slow getting there because he has to do a swim move around the guards rear end

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

59 probably made the more impressive play tbh, foster doesn't really do anything to impact the play. if he gets blocked then short of a hulk pancake block the tackle is only like a foot farther outside and the tight end is a 6 food wide hurdle directly in front of the back

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

watch the running back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBfjqh1dzc8#t=110

edit: man it's insane how well those a gap blitzes worked with d. washington

hifi fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 12, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Play posted:

I thought I understood what he was saying but now I'm unsure and I don't recognize 49ers defensive players on sight. To me, it's the edge rusher to the right of the screen that completely ruins this play. He tosses the tight end on his rear end right in front of the runner, then was right there to make the tackle if that didn't work. It was definitely a team effort, several guys came into the pocket, but I love the strategy of just throwing a guy on his rear end right into the play and ruining the whole thing.

Also, this guy is fantastic, can't believe I've never checked out his twitter. I could watch this poo poo all day.

that's what i was arguing for too, yeah .

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Phil has scored all 30 of the Cardinals points going back to dec 3rd

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hawks fans getting on their escape goats

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hate playing this game but it feels like the cardinals need a serious culture change. they went from a tough team playing bad football to one year of MVP QB play and after that there's been no identity and everything the team does feels soft. the vaunted WR and secondary corps fell apart and are basically hanging on by a thread thanks to peterson and larry. Next year they probably don't compete but it's gonna be a good measuring stick with what we should do with mathieu and the rest of the underachievers and injured players.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sherman is a ufa after next year though, so he's probably gonna be rear end next year and come back healthy in 2019 for the pats on a cheap deal

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drew stanton is the starting qb now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cardinals pats in 2012 owned

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jeff Fisher: Rams are showing I left them in pretty good shape

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

shutout the giants bitch

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Benne posted:

Are there ever? Seems like all the good ones get locked into big extensions before their rookie deal expires.

(insert Steve Hutchinson joke here)

iupati

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

so the seahawks could get rid of bennett and lose avril, mcdowell, and richardson

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/01/james-bettcher-arizona-cardinals-head-coach-candidate

interesting...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/Cardschatter/status/947881397225525249

lol, dr larry...

https://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/947894983117307904

please god get him on MNF with a swear button like kevin garnett

SourKraut posted:

Step up, Coach Bettcher as the Cardinals’ new coach!

i'd be fine with him. the cards could stand to stay the same on defense and jettison all the old guys arians had with him

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the 49ers can eat the tag cost for a year and there's nowhere near the animosity like washington and cousins seem to have

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

stanton, gabbert - bye probably
dansby - i dunno, he slotted in as a starter fine and he's decent depth but who knows if he's gonna get a truckload of money from some dipshit team like last time
tramon williams - way better than i expected. keep him unless he wants a lot of money
john brown - needs to figure out if he's going to be healthy, maybe a bridge deal or lots of incentives
jaron brown - love him for what he is, more power to him if he gets a giant deal like andre roberts/steve breaston
troy niklas - bust that can still block. i dunno
frostee rucker - incredibly cool fat man
brittan golden - reminds me of cortland finnegan but not in the way that makes you hate his guts. bring him back cheap unless some other team wants to pay him actual wr money
josh bynes - filled in great when uhh whoever got hurt. keep him
ifeanyi momah - lack of production but still shows flashes. keep him for cheap i think

everyone else i don't have any feelings on

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

OL is a big issue
A true #1 WR is an issue
Edge pass rush is a MASSIVE GODDAMN PROBLEM
Secondary is extremely inconsistent
LB depth is an issue

Sign my boys alex okafor and sam acho

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah it's pretty easy when you have one corner locked down and safety help over the top and you are 6'3+. the cards had tharold simon and i think another random giant seahawks-drafted corner and they both played fine to my eyes but probably did something stupid that got them cut

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

guy in this thread telling me to root for the rams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMQy0ib1vdE

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lmao vic fangio could come to the cards if we get shurmur. 49ers east

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Yeah I can't imagine how Fangio would come close to using Bucannon properly, for example.

i dunno, bucannon was a safety in college and it's not like "fast, hard hitting, can cover guys and also tackle in the box" is a crazy skillset to have. same thing with the rest of the guys except probably mathieu. he plays his weird free safety in the box game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i don't know where the schottenheimer discussion went but having your receivers run 3 yards down the field and then block for russ is a cosmic brain genius level strategy

• Locked thread