Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which team will take the division in 2017
This poll is closed.
Pittsburgh Steelers 38 27.54%
Baltimore Ravens 20 14.49%
Cincinnati Bengals 13 9.42%
Yeah just kidding, it'll be one of the other 3 67 48.55%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ben is going to retire because he knows the Browns resurgence is coming and is scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hopefully the Bengals sign him because he owns

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Someone tell me how to feel about the Steelers targeting Dre in FA

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
gently caress Mike Brown

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This seems accurate

quote:

Bengals make huge mistake in losing Andrew Whitworth to Rams
11:30 AM ET
Katherine Terrell
ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI – This one will sting for a long time.

Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth was expected to play his entire career in Cincinnati. Now he’s on his way to Los Angeles to sign a three-year deal with the Rams on the opening day of free agency.

Whitworth received a three-year contract, $36 million contract with the Rams that includes $15 million guaranteed and $2.5 million guaranteed in the second year, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Bengals' start to free agency already looked bleak before the signing period officially started at 4 p.m. E.T. on March 9.

Now the Bengals have a hole at left tackle, and a huge void left in their locker room.

The Bengals wanted to keep Whitworth, and he wanted to return to Cincinnati. So why didn’t it happen?

It seemed the Bengals targeted Whitworth as priority No. 1 out of their free agents, a group that also includes Kevin Zeitler and Dre Krikpatrick.

But it was head scratching, and perhaps telling sign, that the first major signing of free agency for Cincinnati was not Whitworth, but wide receiver Brandon LaFell instead.

It wasn’t that the Bengals didn’t try. A source close to the negotiations said they were competitive in their offers, but the gap between the money offered the first year, and the amount of fully guaranteed money the second year was just too great.

Whitworth, now 35 and potentially on his last contract, wanted more protection than a one-year deal.

For several years now, the Bengals have been reluctant to give him long-term security based on his age. The Bengals didn't want to mortgage their future salary cap by giving a huge deal to a player who is the oldest at his position in the entire league.

The Bengals tried to plan for this day, looking to the future by drafting tackles Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher in the first and second rounds of the 2015 draft. But Whitworth was just too good to lose his spot, and Ogbuehi and Fisher just weren’t good enough to even challenge him for it.

To understand just what happened, it would be necessary to go back to 2015, when Whitworth and the Bengals were trying to negotiate a new contract extension. The talks dragged on through September of that year before the Bengals gave in and gave Whitworth a one-year, $9 million extension.

The Bengals’ reluctance to move forward with the negotiations did not sit well with Whitworth’s camp. It was a bitter taste that lingered.

It appeared that both sides were moving forward when the Bengals made offers to Whitworth’s representatives in the weeks leading up to free agency, but did not take the necessary steps to ensure he would not leave for another team.

A source close to Whitworth wondered why the team did not place the franchise tag ($14.8 million cost for one year), or transition tag ($12.6 million).

The transition tag would have allowed them to assess Whitworth’s value while having the opportunity to match, while the franchise tag, though expensive if Whitworth actually played on it, could have protected their investment while they continued to negotiate.

The Bengals did neither.

Now the team is essentially left scrambling. They continue to express optimism in Ogbuehi and Fisher, who were drafted with the idea that they would be the tackles of the future. Neither has even come close to looking like a full-time starter.

Ogbuehi struggled so much at right tackle that the team resorted to rotating him with veteran Eric Winston before finally benching them. They actually moved Whitworth to guard for one game so they could see if Ogbuehi could play left tackle, which he said was his natural position.

It didn’t go much better on that side.

With Whitworth gone, the Bengals have lost the longest tenured player in their locker room, a valuable leader, and the best player on their offensive line.

The team might have balked at paying one of their oldest players so much money, but last year proved Whitworth, who made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, is still as good as he ever was. They should have gritted their teeth and made every effort to match.

Now they’re left watching as one of their best player suits up elsewhere.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/G_Bernard25/status/839937222694535168

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cavauro posted:

I love the browns

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know if can take another Bengals Dark Era tbh

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It was an extremely good trade for the Browns they dont have to actually play him

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Browns now have a billion draft picks and a good coach and a long-term good o-line they would have to do some extremely Browns poo poo to not be a playoff team within the next couple of years.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
They honestly have so many picks at this point that they can go trade for a good QB if they can't develop one

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I hope Eric Steinbach 2.0 works out well in Cleveland this time

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Carlos_Dunlap/status/841779011600670723

:whitewater:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like instantly forgot Benjarvus was a Bengal the second they cut him its weird or maybe I am weird

I also think that was the last guy on a multi year deal that they actually cut

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Smarms posted:

Guys, I'm worried Andey will die tonight.

Dalton has accepted Christ into his life and thus has eternal life

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it uh too late to take a moral stand on watching football based on the hit on Gio Bernard in 2015 like that one poster did

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/King55Tez/status/907024125738278945

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ravens are going to suck poo poo if Flacco's back doesn't get better he looked awful week 1

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
bump

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
God bless the AFC North and the woke Baltimore Ravens

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Browns will be decent by the end of the year I think watching their games they do have like talent and poo poo now

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is actually nuts how Hue Jackson leaving completely loving wrecked the Bengals

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

a patagonian cavy posted:

I hope we get some cool up and coming offensive mind when Marv leaves but I know we're gonna get someone horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgNREzBAnY4&t=13s

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Bengals also I think now have their top 3 OTs out for the year and will likely be starting practice squad guys or old rear end Eric Winston at both spots.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
AB certainly makes old Ben look better than he is. But young Ben certainly made Hines Ward look better than he was by routinely giving him like 8 seconds to get open. So I guess it all evens out.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
McCarron expected to get a 6th round comp pick lol thanks a freaking lot Cleveland Browns

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nopw thats what I'm talking bout!!!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I named my dog "Jeremey Hill Fumbling"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Post your favorite Bengals plays. Here’s mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CV13wF5iq0

https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoard/newman-fumble-return-td

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here is my favorite Baltimore Raven's play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cur_3DSpOH4

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Vikings never win anything because everything their fans think they know is always wrong 100% of the time. The Bengals of the NFC, if you will

Haha I remember a bunch of Steeler fans in this forum pissing their pants and calling me a Dumb Idiot Bengals Fan when I said the Jags were going to win in Pittsburgh

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Play posted:

I had totally forgotten about Sanu. But wow him, Marvin Jones, AJ Green, Tyler Eifert. That is an obscenely excellent group of pass catchers right there.

Bengals probably win the AFC in 2015 if Andy doesn't hurt his hand imo. They were really good.

Just like they probably go to the SB in 2005 if Carson doesn't hurt his knee

:)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Cubs were horrible forever and now are good and now their fan base are the most annoying assholes on earth so I sort of hope the Brown stay lovely

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Having a lol at PFT guy's reply to that tweet

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Bengals are my favorite NFL team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006