Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Why can't everyone just blind luck into a HOF QB and have an ex Browns head coach mutate into the best cheater if all time?

Seems simple really.

it was institutional brilliance that caused the patriots to wait until the 6th round to draft their hall of fame qb because they knew all the other teams didn't know how good he was (by cheating, spygate 0.5) and so they could afford to wait till the 6th, not that they passed up the chance to draft him six times to get these luminaries first:

Adrian Klemm
J.R. Redmond
Greg Randall
Dave Stachelski
Jeff Marriott
Antwan Harris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The_Raven posted:

Always had a ton of respect for Pennington, dude was tough as nails. I remember a Jets-Pats game in Jersey where he got injured during a play and tried to drag himself to the sideline afterward so as not to cost his team a timeout, to a unbelievably loud chorus of booing from the hideous Jet fans. A drat shame how he got treated there.

Jesus. Reading his wikipedia page almost every single year is some new horrible injury. Guy seems like he was crazy unlucky.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Turdsdown Tom posted:

next season Tommy finishes what he started....19-0 with a super bowl win over the giants

blitz for six

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Who are they beating other than the Browns maybe? The Bills at home? That is 2. I can't see any more than that.

they're the jets, normally they find a way to lose but when losing is winning and winning is losing, they will find a way to win. not a lot, just enough to gently caress themselves over.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

There is no way Bob Kraft is any smarter than Woody Johnson. He just hired the right coach and lucked into a qb.

he does the two things that an owner needs to do to be a good owner: (a) hired the right coach (and GM) and (b) stayed the gently caress out of all decisions beyond those two and let the competent people he hired run the thing instead of sticking his fingers in repeatedly

you would think (b) would be easy but somehow a lot of owners find it difficult

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Trust me, if his Coach/GM didn't win he wouldn't stat out of it. It's easy to leave a guy alone who wins.

uh tell that to jed york

or hell, tell it to jerry jones

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Jed is just an extraordinary idiot. And the Cowboys are pretty well run.

jerry jones fired the guy who won him two super bowls because he was mad the coach was getting credit instead of jerry jones and the cowboys were stunningly mediocre for a long time as a result (despite the one super bowl they won with the departing coach's team that jerry took credit for)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I'd take that for the rest of my life.

sure but i'd say it means that just becuase the coach/GM is stupidly successful doesn't mean an idiot owner isn't going to kool-aid man his way into the decision making room and fire anyone who tries to kick him out

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I mean the requirements for being a good owner are basically: Hires competent people with football knowledge to run the team, gives them what they need and stays the gently caress out of the way.

Kraft fulfills all three with flying colors.

Jed York fails on at least two, Jim Irsay whiffs on the first one, Mike Brown the second, etc...

after all its not all owners who will pay their QB under the table to make sure their GM has extra money for the rest of the team

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Pre-Belichick Kraft fired Pete Carroll after a 3-year 27-21 record stint and tried to move the team to Hartford. That would be considered meddlesome were it not for accidentally hiring a dark lord out of spite and lottery-balling the best qb ever.

i think getting belichick had a huge amount of luck but kraft did trade a first round draft pick to a division rival for him and gave him GM authority as well so he saw something there worth going all-in on

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

afc east tied for most wins :psyduck:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dre2Dee2 posted:

what the NFL needs is more lawyers to make the game logically consistent, this will fill seats

i actually got offered tickets to this game for free and turned it down because not even watching the patriots wallop the jets is worth going out to new jersey for a regular season game

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Laffo. Have you seen the players we trot out on offense? People didn't think the Jets would score 10 points a game this season and McCown is throwing for 350 against the Pats.

otoh have you seen our defense this year throwing for 350 is kinda bad

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

To put that into context, compare the skill players on each team. Jets deserved to win that game.

we'll give you this for that one game in the 2007 season

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Having a bad QB is just the worst.

I'll take your word for it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the falcons gave up 54 unanswered points in a row to the patriots, that's a hilarious statistic

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

AFC East is going to sweep the Falcons

well duh the afc east is the best division in football

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i thought i wanted to see the jets pounded into the dirt in every game, but this middle-of-the road thing so that jets fans are actually mad about their losses and have no shot at a qb is a lot better

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The Jets know they need to get a QB this offseason if whither it's signing Cousins to an absurd contract or trading up, they will get a QB.

you would think that but somehow they've ignored it for years, but even if you're correct the difference between getting a top draft pick that lets you get a QB without trading up and what you have to give up to trade up is generally at least another first-round draft pick so that's a big difference for everyone else in the division (none of whom, against all odds, will be the team with that valuable first-round draft pick auctioning it off)

signing cousins means you condemn the jets to an 8-8 mediocrity for the foreseeable future with no cap space at all like the post-giant flacco contract ravens because he's fine, but no more than that. i guess you could luck into a playoff run or two though, but he's never going to be a great qb.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If Cousins was the Jets QB this season they would win 10 games. Easily.

the jets have been surprising, but i'm not ready to believe the team everyone was confidently predicting to go 0-16 is real as opposed to being a surprise to teams that underprepared because it's the jets and to teams that didn't have good film because nobody (including the jets coaching staff) has ever heard of 95% of the roster

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I guess a 49ers 2nd is almost a first round pick

That said maybe the patriots should at least have a backup qb given that their secret qb is injured.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Cousins to the Jets just got much more likely.

:toot:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tarbrush posted:

WHAT THE gently caress HAVE WE JUST DONE!

yeah what the gently caress? ajayi was pretty amazing and a fourth round pick is pretty meh. i guess rbs fall off fast and you're probably not competing this year but still...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If there is any justice in the world, Garapplo becomes the next Aaron Rodgers and Brady has a career ending injury next week. (Neither of those things will happen)

good things happening to jed york isn't justice but if he went to some other team in FA so both the patriots and the 49ers got hosed that would be reasonable

our offensive line is...not great this year though and brady's been getting hit way too much so it's always possible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Imagine if they didn't get hosed over against the cheats? They would be in a playoff spot...

but instead you solidified ours and hurt your draft position again last night

thanks guys

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts. It IS going to end at some point.

yeah we got like 3 years max at this point and 3 is stretching it to a hilarious degree since we no longer have any qb pipeline

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/927642667097448448

Like I said...

If the Jets can't beat the terrible Bucs without Jameis and Evans that would be pretty bad.

its fitzpatrick, he will do inexplicibly well so someone gives him another contract where he's a bust

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

This is just never going to end... Is it...

hey brady's got to retire someday, definitely before he's 50

i think

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fsif posted:

I still sincerely believe Tom Brady will fade down the stretch this season.

The Patriots will probably still make the Super Bowl, mind you, but Brady will look mediocre doing it.

that's pretty reasonable, the last super bowl was helped out a lot by giving him four weeks off and he's taking a ton of hits. i think the jimmy g trade had to happen but the brisset trade isn't looking great.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

You mean 7 catches from Dorset isn't as valuable as a quality backup for a 40 year old QB?

yeah it made sense if they were keeping jimmy g to roll the dice on that one, but knowing that jimmy g wasn't gonna sign with the pats and they had to trade him by the deadline, idk what the gently caress they were thinking

sure, keep two qbs on the roster, makes sense normally but not when you know your quality backup is almost certainly gone halfway though the year and the only reason he might not be is if your starter is no longer good enough/healthy enough to start.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i never knew gronk was frpm buffalo but now that i know that theres no place that fits him more

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

i see the Dolphins are doing their annual late season heroics thing to gently caress up their draft position

They weren't doing badly enough to be worth tanking, they should feel pretty good about that win and i think they're technically alive for the playoffs. They're not trying to draft a QB so there's no need for extreme tanking, better to develop the players you have and hope next year is the year Brady dies.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Now I am really bummed New England couldn't find a way to keep Jimmy G so that the AFC East was tormented by the Patriots for another decade.

I can't even pretend that I believe in Hoyer, even as a joke.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Brady and Belichick are going to walk away from the Patriots like it's an explosion in an action movie, and I'm completely okay with that.

i was really looking forward to the despair if belichick stayed on a year or two and jimmy g won the division and the hair-rendering of the rest of the afc east that their misery would never end

i didn't really care if it didn't ever end, just the mcmagicing was going to be fantastic

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I didn't think Garapolo was gonna be all that great but if the Patriots look like idiots for the next 15 years for trading him, I'm OK with that too.

i wish him the best but between playing for jed york and the browns, he got the slightly better one of those two likely career-wrecking options

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

People genuinely can’t get past, myself included, the arbitrary goal line rules.

But yeah clearly not a catch as they describe it in the weekly anger. Big Ben lost that game

yeah, bad rule, correctly applied here but bad rule.

honestly the whole nfl defense against changing the rules to make it a catch earlier of "but then there would be more fumbles!" is bad. so? that'd own, fumbles after a bomb would be hilarious swings instead of bullshit "well, its a catch in every sense of the word except the rulebook sense"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Is there any reason you can't have the rule be that anytime you have control over the ball when it goes over the goal line it's a touchdown? Is there some weird scenario I'm not seeing where making that the rule produces some new kind of dumb poo poo instead of the current kind of dumb poo poo?

I think the only concern there would be things that are not a catch on the field are a catch at the goal line so you'd have some weirdness there. Not a reason not to do it though, but I think it's better to just fix the rule in general so if you have control of the ball for some amount of time (a second?), if it wiggles when you hit the ground it's a fumble and if its one of these tiny wiggles, then it looks like you recovered your own fumble.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If you watched the games it was very clear that the roster wasn’t nearly that bad though. The preseason predictions are the only metric by which Bowles did a good job. The reality is that they lost many games they should have won this season and as a Jet fan that doesn’t give me any confidence that Bowles is the right guy to give a better roster to next season. Ntm this regime’s history at the QB position.

you can park a dumptruck full of cap space and money in kirk cousin's driveway to get a quarterback who is mediocre this offseason though!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tarbrush posted:

I meant in the available pool. There's like 10 genuinely good coaches in the NFL right now, none of whom are going to be switching jobs.

Not to say that the rest are bad, merely that they display some/all of the flaws that Bowles does.

You have to take a chance on a promising coordinator rather than a previous head coach if you want a real shot at someone good enough they won't hit the market once they've proven themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Counter point: Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Gary Kubiak.

The last 4 Super Bowls were won by coaches who were retreads.

True, but the other hand, Bill went back to being a coordinator for a while before getting his next HC job (which lasted a day lol). Carroll also had a long period between his previous HC job and getting his new one that he spent instead in college. Kubiak, true (not going to try to claim his one year as a coordinator between HC gigs mattered), but he also only lasted two years at the Broncos as HC and I don't know I would consider him a great coach for winning the super bowl with Manning basically coaching while throwing noodly passes.

I can believe that an unsuccessful HC gig in the past is helpful in knowing what you're getting into and not making rookie mistakes again. But usually they got fired for a reason, and you need there to have been some time for them to work on whatever that reason was. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck, bad players they had no say in, but often times its not.

• Locked thread