Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rogue0071 posted:

The catch rule is stupid, but it was pretty obviously called correctly there.

Also, the Steelers were still absolutely in that game - they were down by 3 at the 10 yard line.They had an almost guaranteed overtime if they hadn't bizarrely thrown the ball into extremely heavy coverage on a blown fake play.

He's over the plane with the ball. That is a touchdown. This was almost as blatant a robbery as the ASJ call in the Jets game. That one was better for sheer comedy value since Riveron had to "spike the ball" by creating a fumble on a play where the ball never hit the ground to give the scumbags a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TheAdams_era/status/943288279084032000

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

He probably deserved it over Reshad Jones but rookies generally dont get love their first year.

He said he didn't think he deserved it this year too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It makes SOOOOO much sense to re sign Sheldon Richardson since they won SOOOOO much when he was here...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bowles probably won't be fired this year but anyone who thinks he's a long term answer is nuts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

This was expected. I’m ok with Bowles honestly. I don’t think he’s a bad coach and the organizational stability is good.

He’s a bad coach. His teams are completely helpless on the road ntm being completely out of control when it comes to penalties. The entire game yesterday was pretty much the Jets giving away free first downs on peanlties. And that’s before we start on the 4th quarter gag jobs and moronic game management.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 1, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

tarbrush posted:

I feel like you have an over-rosy view of how good other coaches are at those things. Most coaches are 'bad' at many aspects of football. He overachieved this year with that roster.

If you watched the games, that just isn’t what happened no matter what it looks like from looking at the roster on paper.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

pasaluki posted:

I don't think Bowles was so bad that he should be fired at any rate this year especially in a league where Hue loving Jackson just got a vote of confidence. Maybe after next year if they don't improve, but the Jets seem to be on the way to respectability.

I know it's been said all the time in this topic but they gutted their roster like a fish. It seems like everyone has amnesia about how bad people thought the Jets would be.

If you watched the games it was very clear that the roster wasn’t nearly that bad though. The preseason predictions are the only metric by which Bowles did a good job. The reality is that they lost many games they should have won this season and as a Jet fan that doesn’t give me any confidence that Bowles is the right guy to give a better roster to next season. Ntm this regime’s history at the QB position.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

No no no... Bowles definitely needs to go. I'm honestly SHOCKED he was even here for this one. To me, THIS season was the one to prove that this team could significantly improve. The fact that "Hey, we didn't go 0-16!" it's being cheered as an accomplishment, shows how low the bar has gotten for the Jets now. That is the worst standard to have, and that we are supposed to feeling great about "improvement" because we weren't blown out every game is pathetic.

Last season, the Jets were absolutely abominable. Half the roster didn't bother even TRYING, for at least 10 weeks out of the season. The only reason the Jets have a renewed effort is most of these guys are rookies, unsigned, practice squad, or old as poo poo. All of them are on the precipice of being totally out of the league, so they are fighting hard to get a spot on this roster. I appreciate and like the effort from the players, but I'm not giving Bowles ANY credit for that. This team could not give less of a poo poo last season. Even with this improved effort for this year, we easily phoned in 3 games.

I honestly cannot name ONE THING Bowles adds to this team. He can't manage the clock, he can't make half-time adjustments, his roster management is wretched, the defense which is his alleged specialty has been mediocre at best, awful play calling, awful challenges, blown almost every single 4th quarter of the season.... I don't get what this guy does. Herman Edward was a lousey head coach and Bowles comes off as a knock-off of Herm. We are not going to improve much beyond 6 wins next year, it's just another wasted year.

McAdoo was the only coach worse than Bowles to start this season, in my opinion.

The people who are hanging their hat on Bowles' first season ignore the virtual playoff game he lost to a bad Bills team. He really inspires zero confidence. If the Jets vastly improve the roster in the offseason, which they probably will just in free agency, they will win more games but that really won't make me have any more faith in Bowles.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Bowles lost every game in the 4th quarter by such a huge margin either all the players are out of shape or he has no gameplan to close out

Penalties are out control, hes kicking players off of road trips cause they dont give a poo poo about showing up on time for him, idk what he adds to the team as a coach but strap in for 32 more games

The only good thing about keeping Bowles is that maybe there are a better slate of candidates next year... These guys are all massively unimpressive to me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

Counter point: Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Gary Kubiak.

The last 4 Super Bowls were won by coaches who were retreads.

I very much agree with a second chance HC than some hot coordinator name from a good team that you have no idea about.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chris Johnson says the Jets are gonna spend alot in FA? Bring me Bell, Ziggy and Baker.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

They're going to have $100m in cap space and not too many internal FA other than like ASJ and Demario Davis. Cousins and LeVeon Bell seem doable.

Go all 2011 Spartans on them.

ASJ they can let walk. Good dude but he's not a difference maker. I also don't know if I buy that Davis is good all of a sudden now...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://www.metro.us/sports/new-york/dyer-jets-shouldnt-draft-quarterback#.WlZtmHYgw6Q.twitter

The worst Jets related take I have ever seen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm ok with signing Cousins but the article is really really dumb. How do you call a team that won 5 games 2 years in a row a "win now team?"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Bills and Josh Allen deserve each other. Especially for 3 first's.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They asked Darnold who he hated more UCLA or the Patriots and he gave the wrong answer. Sad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Man all the Jets and Rutgers fans were convinced Carroo was going to be great.

He was an absolute difference maker at RU with just embarrassing talent around him. There is more that story than we know.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

quote:

Jets CEO Christopher Johnson, along with current Jets Josh McCown and Kelvin Beachum and ex-Jet Demario Davis, sent a letter to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and top lawmakers calling for them to pass comprehensive bail reform. The letter, released today, urges them to make bail reform a top priority for the few remaining days of the legislative session. The players represent the Players Coalition, a social-justice advocacy group. Johnson has backed the players in their efforts and made national headlines recently with his pro-player stance on the anthem controversy.

Where the hell did Chris Johnson come from?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

We did it! We found the dumbest person alive!

https://twitter.com/USAmbUK/status/1018142717333901312

https://twitter.com/USAmbUK/status/1018577820027637760

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 15, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Give Sam his loving offsets already.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

My limited knowledge of situation not following sports all summer:
The jets know as well as we do that no top qb would stick with the team if they could leave and if darnold develops into a top qb they dont want to be paying him to play for new england in 2023

What i think:
Lol jets baby

He can't just leave at the end of this contract though. They can franchise him for 2 more years. NTM if he actually turns into a great QB this will all be completely moot cause they will sign him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

IDK what Darnold's agents are trying to do here. Mayfield's contract has offsets in it. They owe it to him to get him out there for this practice in 45 mins.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They won 5 games last season and they have added to that team. I don't get the argument that they are worse... It's a 6-7 win team probably.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Locking in 3 wins this year due to fan optimism

If they win 3 but Sam plays alot and plays pretty well I'm fine with that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They won like five games last year and got better at the most important position.

They got better all over the field.

fsif posted:

I legitimately don’t understand what you guys see in the Jets. Are we banking on Darnold being a transformational player in his rookie year? Was Trumaine Johnson the missing piece?

The missing piece to do what? Win 12 games? No. But they have improved a 5 win team on both sides of the ball.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Landry talks like he's a lot better than he actually is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Tannehill under Gase had a fantastic deep play percentage.

I’m just not a mega Landry backer. I also think Parker should be cut

Parker is the type of guy who could go somewhere else and make you look dumb.

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/1023396095605518336

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 29, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

You can't be "100% in the right" if your decision means the QB you gave up 4 high round picks for doesn't come to training camp. He could be holding out for drat near anything, it doesn't matter, you give him what he wants because you've dumped all your franchise hopes on him.

Yes. Even if they are right, they are cutting of their nose to spite their face. They should give him what he wants. I bet the CBA is changed to prevent these kind of holdouts in the near future anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1023974334963040257

Thank you Football Jesus.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

He's already getting 1st team reps. They want him to win the job outright.
https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1024010800204271618

There is really no reason he shouldn't start from day 1.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Cut Teddy let him roam free

If he plays well in preseason they should be able to get a draft pick for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I was going to say it's probably aggressive/hopeful to think that any rookie TE will play a significant number of non-ST snaps but then I looked at OurLads and Gesicki is actually TE1 on Miami.

Jets actually have a worse TE situation but this is still surprising to me.

Apparently Herndon looks good.

• Locked thread