Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Do you guys like this sort of upcoming weekend announcement? If so I can keep it up for all the series that I follow.

Yes, absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Well that would just be huge for IMSA.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What's the deal with IMSA.tv? Can I stream from that instead of Fox?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ford signed Pipo Derani for Le Mans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Speaking of LeMans, entry list is out:

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/24h-le-mans-entry-list-revealed/

P1 is sad, and P2 is Oreca vs the world. 15 Oreca, 6 Ligier, 3 Dallara, 1 Riley.

quote:

23 – Panis Barthez Competition – Ligier JS P217 – Fabien Barthez

...the loving goalkeeper?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Why are they showing old Hakkinen footage?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

zelah posted:

Is there a Moto GP thread that I'm missing? I've only caught a few races but I'm into it.

There's one in AI: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807712

Someone tried to start a separate thread in SAS last year but it died.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

There's video of the F4 crash on Youtube and gently caress it's nasty. You literally don't see the slow car until about half a second before impact. Nothing he could've done to avoid it. Apparently he's got serious leg injuries and it took 2 hours to get him out the car.

You can see his knee get driven back into the cockpit.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bob Varsha is on my TV.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Does Le Mans still do that thing where there's no decent TV coverage overnight?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Buy the WEC online video thing it's great

I will, but I recall from a few years ago that they don't have camera crews on track overnight, so it was mostly static CCTV shots until dawn.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Overnight coverage is better when it's sparse. Nighttime on-board shots, CCTV cameras, hours-long front straight and pit road shots. It just feels right.

It was annoying when Rockenfeller crashed a few years ago and no one had a drat idea what happened.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

The marshals at the corner post knew what happened immediately. Race control knew what happened immediately. It's OK that that the media and television audience didn't know what happened immediately.

I don't see what the gently caress that has to do with wanting complete coverage of a live sports event.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Getting 24 hours of camera coverage is easy for Daytona, but complete overnight coverage of a place like Le Mans or the Nurburgring is asking a lot. It's not a matter of if they could do it, but whether or not it's worth it to do. They don't think it's worth it.

And if you don't like their coverage, stop watching!

Ok thanks!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone know if the WEC blocks simultaneous streams?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

2020 P1 regs are out. "Plug in hybrid" system that makes teams run 1km on battery power after each stop, mild cost savings, and bigger cockpits. Pretty big wet fart, might explain why there have been all the rumors about Porsche and Toyota pulling out.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/141485-lmp1-2020-regulations-revealed

The token system-like development restrictions they're introducing are so fundamentally moronic that I can't even believe [producer offstage whispers "ACO!"] OK yeah I can believe it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What top speed do you guys think the current P1 cars would hit if they removed the Mulsanne chicanes?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The website is working fine for me but my brother is also having issues with the iOS app. http://fiawec.com/en/live

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My brother reports the app has just started working. Web stream still flawless for me so I think it'll be fine once you get it started.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I got back home and the stream had died, fml.

E: I switched to Edge and it's back!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Did anyone else's WEC stream just die? Kind of abrupt.

Yes, it did. Live timing cut out and said "no live race" and the stream died shortly thereafter. Stream just came back and then crashed again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

geonetix posted:

Easy, the hour before sunrise into full blast sunlight. Staying up watching it helps, the kind of strange sleep-drunk observer stage where the drivers are starting to smash personal bests with the sun coming up. I dunno, it feels like racing romance I guess.

e: wow the smoke on that #8 car

100% agreed, it's like when you have a sleepover as a kid and stay up until sunrise.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

On the WEC Contact Us page they have a specific email to contact if you have issues with the app or whatever during the 24 hours of lle mans: app24h@lemans.org

Feel free to ask for a refund like I am lmao

I like how they can't even keep the drat timing working.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

No!!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sidebar: does Tony Moody know there is a specific unit that equals 12 months?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TremorX posted:

Toyota built an amazing 12-hour car.

Incorrect.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

RLM studio was hypothesizing it was stuck in a higher gear and couldn't shift down, but not sure.

I want either a Rebellion to win or actual chaos to happen and the 8 Toyota to rise from it's grave.

We're not even at halfway, the possibilities are endless.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Anything can happen" but I don't think one of those things is the entire P2 field vanishing, sorry.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MrChips posted:

It's because those 911s are actually mid-engined...like a Cayman.

[/joke]

Oh god you're one of those terrible people.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo I want an irl version of this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I tried to do the math to see if the #2 would catch the LMP2 leaders and my brain is completely and totally hosed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

that was also with the #2 in something of a cruise mode.

who knows. just can watch and find out.

wouldn't mind the #38 winning seeing as it's basically JOTA Sport by another name running that team!

And that other name is "Jackie Chan."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Literally everyone I listen to has a different answer for whether the #2 will catch the #38.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jacteh posted:

Currently lapping 9-11s faster, depending on traffic.

A couple laps ago it was only 8 seconds. Doesn't seem like that's good enough.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

They blew it with that rear clip replacement, I think.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The logo of Rubens' team is a clear ripoff of Minardi.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

julian assflange posted:

I wonder if any new manufacturers will arrive in LMP1 after the new regs were announced. Nissan said they will defo return. I'd love it if Ferrari participated again.

Aren't there a whole bunch of new privateer entries joining, too?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I would've assumed a car designed to run for 24 hours would be capable of using the clutch a few times.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's absolutely no question in my mind that Honda will enter Le Mans, Alonso won't join them, and they will have no reliability issues whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The new LMP1H regs are just going to lead to larger budgets. F1 tried half of that poo poo already and it either didn't work at all, made teams spend more money, or (like the token system) was just idiotic. Like F1 has been restricting wind tunnel hours for years, costs have continued to rise. The silly rules about running the last km or whatever on battery power are just going to force teams to spend more on *gasp* batteries.

• Locked thread