Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
It seems like a step in the right direction at least, and the fact that everybody is crashing out left and right over a modest power increase kinda confirms my suspicion that the field has been less than stellar the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

WindyMan posted:

I'd watch more WRC and rally in general if it were as easily available like it is through the Red Bull TV link. So I think I'll do that this year.

I just want good event coverage, if WEC can do streaming for an extended event than WRC certainly can at the very least from onboards. F1 has been less than stellar for quite a few years and I've stuck with that because the coverage of the entire weekend is indepth and half decent, my bar isn't that high and I like rallying far better but I still can't get into WRC because any time I've watched live the coverage has been garbage.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Ogier is always constantly bitching. If it's not one thing it's another, doesn't help that without VW he's actually going to have to work to win his championship this year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
This little red Civic is just loving amazing.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Best place to park that McLaren. Good job.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Well there goes a valve or a piston ring.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
This is almost a Macau level bloodbath.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Just loving :lol:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Guys we're loving only 2 hours in.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
There's going to be a bunch of taped together cars with the alignment "best guess" hammered in in the last few hours if this keeps up for a little while longer, I don't think it'll be boring.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I really wish they'd have a little counter for the number of laps the safety car has led.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
:eyepop:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

njsykora posted:

Well we were green for a solid 5 seconds.

Not even, the race hadn't even restarted then.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

CactusWeasle posted:

I cant even comprehend what Baird was thinking, rules aside

Even if he hadn't spun 88 off how in the ever-living gently caress did he think he could be side by side on the restart and not escape a penalty.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
That probably just drop him to 3rd. :fuckoff:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Bloodthurst.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
It was good while it lasted.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

With the safety car taking overall?

Probably going to need to pit for fuel soon.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
And the scrutineer told them to cover the car number :lol:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Why are they showing old Hakkinen footage?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

njsykora posted:

The FIA heard people saying WRC was good this year and decided that cannot be allowed because their cool new fast cars are apparently now too fast.

Given the fact that a spectator died in the first event of a new set of rules designed to make the cars faster I think "try to find stages not focused on high speeds" is a fairly restrained response from the normally knee-jerk prone FIA.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Can somebody explain why these babbies all drop back in WRC as soon as the power steering breaks? If I had to pick out a single theme from the few modern rallies I've followed its that you're dead in the water as soon as the power steering breaks and I can't process why this is such a massive issue on loose surfaces. The only thing I can think of is maybe the feedback through the steering wheel fucks with people.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

When they canned their LMP program earlier this year, I recall them literally openly stating that they would sell and help support (i.e. Spare parts, insights, etc) a privateer team if someone wanted to buy the completed 2017 car

I think there's a bit of power wrangling going on within VAG right now so while they might have said that at the time I think it's a very different environment now. From what I've read it sounds like anything that isn't contributing to a production car is off the table right now.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
There's also a thread for it in the AI subforum for motorbikes.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
These seem pretty bad but the "cars must cross finish line of Le Mans using electric only power" is hokey as poo poo.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh cool, I finally got to the livestream page on the website, the stream just isn't loading. I'm glad I paid 10 euros for this. :thumbsup:

The app doesn't recognize the password I just reset so I can only pull the stream up on my TV. I suddenly remembered why I didn't buy the full WEC season this year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
app finally let me log in but apparently I can't watch, this is a loving joke compared to last year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Toyota is cursed.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
And 9 just spun fml

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Toyota deserved this. Oh well.

It is now significantly less sexy for me to have a 2003 Toyota Corolla as a winter beater.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

financially racist posted:

my daily driver is a 91 mr2 :smith::hf::smith:

My summer car is a 86 RX-7, must suck for you to not be able to bask in Le Mans glory.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Basticle posted:

I need a screencap of cranky grandpa toyota mechanic

Hi.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

GISing 'toyota seppuku' has an actual seppuku as the first result, heh.

pretty sure if you searched for it on video you'd find a live stream right now.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

orange juche posted:

Huh I just realized that no Japanese manufacturer has won Le Mans since 91 when Mazda won it. :thunk:

This year doesn't look like the year for that either.

Ahh yes, the era of Glorious Rotary power.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I figure that would just lead to GTs becoming quasi-prototypes like in the 90s FIA-GT years. The Ford GT's already halfway there.

They're all already halfway there. The diffusers on the Aston look ridiculous and like they belong on a JDM time attack car. It's funny cause I remember Richards talking about it a while back saying how great it was cause he didn't need to do any car development and BOP would just take care of everything, kinda looks like that turned out to be wrong.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I don't think it's necessarily productive but we're already at the point where LMP1s are referred to as sports cars instead of "thinly veiled open wheelers with closed cockpits" like they should be. Moving to GTE would if anything be more rational, I doubt it would happen without scrapping bop though.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'm pretty sure there's almost zero appetite from manufacturers to return to homologation.

Scrapping BOP would be cool but it would also cause almost all the manufacturers to drop out as well. I don't think there's any easy solution to the current problems and it's why we're stuck with this LMP structure.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I don't think it was for GT1 but didn't Porsche once argue that since they had the amount of cars necessary in parts that they met the homologation requirements?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I would've assumed a car designed to run for 24 hours would be capable of using the clutch a few times.

Capable of using it in between stints to dissipate the heat. I doubt the clutch directly failed but would bet the heat cooked the throwout bearing or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
That's really retarded that they enforced that and doing so goes against the whole spirit of endurance racing imho

• Locked thread