Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

I desperately want this car to be consumed by fire now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Guys, I have it on good authority that the Ford's are cheating by using a V8 instead of the TTV6 in the street car, but never fear! The NSX will vanquish them for a class win! :smug:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

no bones about it posted:

Someone really loves to stalk you huh.

Yeah, I guess, it's pretty funny. They couldn't even be assed to find a witty image or use red text, though, 4/10

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I'm in #nascar

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
A Good Race

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Jehde posted:

Why isn't this the new title.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Make a GT3 Camaro IMO, so we get GT3 Mustangs and Challengers too

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

I love how no one gave a poo poo about the Viper until it was announced it was going to be discontinued. I can see them pulling a GT4 Challenger, but they seem to be out of motorsports entirely at this point.

They are still involved in Super Stock NHRA and the like with the Drag Pak Challengers. Dodge knows their bread and butter, which is why the new Dodge Demon is basically being marketed as "we don't care, this thing is an animal in a straight line and gently caress you if you want anything else".

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

Aren't the top fuel engines based off an old Chrysler design?

They used to be, and still are sort of, being hemispherical heads but they are basically custom built from the ground up nowadays. The Donovan block 417's from the early 70's basically led the way for full custom built engine blocks, followed by Keith Black's 426's.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
After what happened to Donahue I can see Penske's reluctance. Not based on any emotional reason, but because it could hurt his future success.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

harperdc posted:

So you'll give that to FOX instead...?

It's 30 euro for the whole season and it's gotten even better (both app and website-wise), that deal kicks the poo poo out of paying for cable or trying to rig together a FS Go stream.

the internet is a place of wonder where anything is possible (you don't have to give anyone money for anything)

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
......and just as the TT gets mentioned in the thread, it claims its first life of the year :smith:

https://www.motorsport.com/roadracing/news/davey-lambert-dies-following-tt-crash-915049/

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

orange juche posted:

Why the gently caress would they ban the race? The racers race for the prestige of running in the race. They know the risks, and so do the fans and the families of the racers.

They are all too aware of exactly what they're signing up for, and that it's a roll of the dice every time they get on that bike and go through the starting gate.

Also, it's not like auto racing where a fatal crash happens and you can identify a new safety item or procedure that you can implement that will save further lives.

You wipe out @ 170 on a bike and that's kinda it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

geonetix posted:

You're right. In general all the contributors to RLM are really good and skilled people

except Rich Evans, he's an incompetent buffoon

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

dsriggs posted:

:scotland: I can't believe I've got AAAAAIIIIIIIIDS, lads!

ooooohhhhh myyyyyy gooooooooood what happened to your front fascia?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
just lol if you aren't watching this on youtube

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

DoctorGonzo posted:

What channel?

I'm pretty sure that's :filez: but I would imagine you could search 24 Hours of Le Mans

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the 24 hours of clownshoes

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
just lol if you aren't desperately hoping for a GT overall win

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

harperdc posted:

Le Mans is still an endurance race

it's a sprint race!

*everything explodes*

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Piquet is a Good Driver And Everyone Likes Him

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
it was me I was the fake marshal

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Wirth1000 posted:

https://streamable.com/kvdca

I tohught he would be dressed up as a marshal but no it's literally a driver in his full driving regalia lmao

this might be the greatest thing ever

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I think you'll find that homologation is The One True Path

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the GT1 homologation rules at some point were one road car (which you didn't have to actually sell), with enough cargo space to hold a briefcase. Toyota successfully argued that you could hold a briefcase in the fuel tank.

yeah, homologation requires that the sanctioning body hold firm to certain rules, and it's a fairly easy way to dictate what level of performance you want

balls out protos? make it like 5 cars

somewhat tamer but still fast? make it 50

similar speed but allowing privateers easier access? make it 100

etc etc

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
hell having a GT division with no bop would probably be pretty badass, tbh

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
IIRC the Yakuza has pretty strict rules against murdering foreigners because of the attention it would inevitably draw upon their connections to local politicians

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Basticle posted:

Everybody should tune into Spec Miata at Road America right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsKiGjm85Lg

this is pro click

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
kill prototypes bring back homologated GT1

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the CotA thing is neato, I remember saying that track was gonna flop when they built it and getting put on blast here, it's nice to be vindicated

that track is rear end

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

Part of FIA's problem is they feel they have to justify costs to race in the "pinnacle of racing" as "IT'LL HELP WITH ROAD CARS" (see F1 and LMP1).

this is why homologation should be mandatory

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Wirth1000 posted:

What if Toyota does stick around and they're the only manufacturer in LMP1 in the 2018 24 Heures du Le Mans... and still lose???

I will pay money to see this

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
me, screaming at a cloud

"homologation"

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
lol remember when Porsche was selling so many Cayennes that they thought they could buy VW and then the economy collapsed and VW bought them instead?

I member

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Cygni posted:

LMP1 failed because they are spending $200m+ in marketing dollars for a thing that doesnt reach $200m+ worth of eyes and buyers. They rationalized it to themselves by saying "we're developing technology!" (a lie), and "its part of Brand Image" (lol), and "it reaches car enthusiast buyers!" (enthusiast buyers aren't going to buy a Toyota just because they paid some people to make a racecar). The thing was a dumb house of cards from the day they announced it for those reasons.

Thats really the long and short of it.

I know cost controls aren't fun for you fans who want to see XTREME CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY (even though P1 was in no way open technologically in the first place) but there arent enough of you, and cost controls are the only thing that keeps series alive. If you want to see technology based meritocracy and limitless innovation with an extreme competitive environment, walk down the washing machine aisle at best buy.

the answer, as always, is homologation

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

gently caress it, two classes at le mans, formula libre, and production GT

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Schlesische posted:

It was, but the Phaeton was a swansong "gently caress it lets push all the boundaries and make the best car I can possibly think of" that eventually became the Veyron.
Piech has been getting pushed out of VAG for some time now, and I don't honestly think both Porsche and Audi would've dropped LMP1 if they hadn't tried to cheat on emissions reports.

Not the Veyron, it was the same platform as the Bentley Continental

Plus the W16 in the Veyron is a 4 bank W based on earlier Bugatti show cars and the Phaeton/Bentley used a 3 bank W12

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 2, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
ah ok, fair enough

e- also I learned that the last Phaeton was built last year :wtc: I haven't seen one in a decade

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

I've never seen one

full disclosure, I worked at an auto auction with a VW account

only place I ever saw one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
so I just drove to the smoke shop to get cigarettes and I saw a VIP'ed out Phaeton

:negative:

what are the odds

• Locked thread