Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You sure he's not a recent acquisition from the Bears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i’m all for training camp hype (👋🏻 Holton Hill) but a punter sure is something

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Aaron Rodgers got intercepted again." "Our secondary must be really really good!"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WHOOPS posted:

i’m all for training camp hype (👋🏻 Holton Hill) but a punter sure is something

I just wanted to post Slenderman mostly

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
well now that i can get on board with

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
"Of Scott's 54 punts last season, six were returned for a total of 39 yards."

That's.... good.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Abugadu posted:

That's.... good.

The only scenario I'd allow the Packers to go 16-0 is if that Punter does the Chargers playoff Scrifes performance every game causing his team to win.

And wins league MVP.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1WQvgrY25M

his yardage decreased slightly after his freshman year as he added hangtime and focused on not outkicking the coverage

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/mikerothstein/status/1023232459859795968

:ohdear:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/mikerothstein/status/1023232459859795968

:ohdear:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Abugadu posted:

That's.... good.

it helps when your coverage team is nothing but 5 star recruits but yeah he was extremely good for bama

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/sportstori/status/1023559646076907521

I have a sudden suspicion as to why tackling was so bad under Caldwell

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Especially when the tackling was basically fall down in front of the opposing D-line. No wonder we were last in rushing. I mean what were these guys doing in practice? Our d-line sucked as well, giving into that "iron sharps iron" notion since they were playing against garbage o-line coaching. I have to wonder if there wasn't some poo poo behind the scenes between Cooter and Ron Prince, especially considering Prince was the only coach explicitly fired with Caldwell.

The Steelers game last year showcased this more than anything, I think we were 2nd and goal twice in that game and only kicked field goals to lose.

https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/925010750346809344

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/11/1/16588754/film-review-ugly-red-zone-offense-pittsburgh-steelers-playcalling-jim-bob-cooter

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 29, 2018

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Acebuckeye13 posted:

How can this be the first time I'm hearing of this? And somehow, we are supposed to respect that coaches and front offices know what they are doing because it's their job.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

LeGarrette Blount left practice early with an undisclosed injury. Good start to camp, with Jones leaving early yesterday too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sataere posted:

How can this be the first time I'm hearing of this? And somehow, we are supposed to respect that coaches and front offices know what they are doing because it's their job.

IIRC part of Caldwell's coaching philosophy was not to ride players exceptionally hard in practice, in order to prevent injuries and keep players fresh for games. And from a certain perspective that makes sense... but Jesus Christ no wonder our guys couldn't make goddamn tackles.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Acebuckeye13 posted:

IIRC part of Caldwell's coaching philosophy was not to ride players exceptionally hard in practice, in order to prevent injuries and keep players fresh for games. And from a certain perspective that makes sense... but Jesus Christ no wonder our guys couldn't make goddamn tackles.

I'm mean, it's not an either/or scenario. Maybe like one tackling session before a game would be a good idea.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Another part of Caldwell's coaching gameplan philosophy was to be a chickenshit who played it safe most of the time and never taught his team that converting fourth downs was something doable.

They probably win that wildcard game against the Cowboys if Caldwell wasn't so awful.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

One thing I will say for the Caldwell: he seemed to keep the team on an even keel. We didn't have a lot of drama or disciplinary problems. When they were down in games they didn't implode, they kept grinding and I went from watching Lions games wondering how they would find a way to lose to thinking they might still have a chance to win.

I think Caldwell's loyalty to his coaches was the problem. I think he was an ok coach, sometimes a bit too conservative, but he didn't hold people accountable and allowing poo poo like Prince's o-line play and us having 9 players on the field is inexcusable.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Lions in general, for ages, have been a compilation of poor ownership and coaches who run around like chickens with their heads cut off, rather than fix things that are broken.

Just a quick reminder that the Lions haven't had a 100+ yard rusher in any game since Reggie Bush did it......on Thanksgiving Day in 2013. Nobody involved with this team between 1999 and 2015 seemed to give a poo poo about the running game or the O-line. "Should we try to find a replacement for Barry Sanders? No. Let's just get a bunch of piecemeal bums and throw them out there and see what happens with no run blocking."

That said, i'm willing to give Martha Ford, Bob Quinn & Pals the benefit of the doubt for the time being, because Old Man Ford and Millen/Mayhew teamed up between 2001-2015 to make sure their book, How Not To Run An NFL Team, had a lot of eager readers.

My Stockholm Syndrome has a tight hold on me and I may never escape from it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gonz posted:

Another part of Caldwell's coaching gameplan philosophy was to be a chickenshit who played it safe most of the time and never taught his team that converting fourth downs was something doable.

They probably win that wildcard game against the Cowboys if Caldwell wasn't so awful.

Yeah but there was also a screwjob from the refs and as ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER said:
"10 YARD PUNT WHAT THE gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress."

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah but there was also a screwjob from the refs and as ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER said:
"10 YARD PUNT WHAT THE gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress."

Lions always seem to get screwed but always help themselves. Picked up PI flag? Let's shank the punt to help us lose! Bullshit facemask call? Let's cover for a lateral and not a hail mary! hosed over by a runoff rule? Too bad we didn't take advantage of those 3 fluky interceptions on Matt Ryan!

Detroit vs. Everybody is real, but everybody includes themselves.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Remember that time the Lions couldn't get the benefit of a review because Schwartz threw the challenge flag on a play that would be automatically reviewed?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Styles Bitchley posted:

One thing I will say for the Caldwell: he seemed to keep the team on an even keel. We didn't have a lot of drama or disciplinary problems. When they were down in games they didn't implode, they kept grinding and I went from watching Lions games wondering how they would find a way to lose to thinking they might still have a chance to win.

I think Caldwell's loyalty to his coaches was the problem. I think he was an ok coach, sometimes a bit too conservative, but he didn't hold people accountable and allowing poo poo like Prince's o-line play and us having 9 players on the field is inexcusable.

Personally I always thought his biggest issue was preparation and gameday decisions. The team would play their hearts out for him, but they never seemed to be able to take advantage of the weaknesses of their opponents, and rarely made effective halftime adjustments. Pretty much all of the team's success over the past few years can be attributed to Prater's leg and Stafford's god-like status when playing from behind in the 4th, which obviously could only take the team so far.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Darius Slay too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

Darius Slay too.

Oh yeah, Slay singlehandedly won what, two, three games in 2016 with clutch interceptions?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
One other guy on the defense made absurd game saving plays too I wanna say Quin?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

Remember that time the Lions couldn't get the benefit of a review because Schwartz threw the challenge flag on a play that would be automatically reviewed?

I still don't understand that rule

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think they said it was a form of Delay of Game or something? Either way it got changed after it happened to the Lions. Wonder if they changed that freaking run off rule too. :v:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

VJeff posted:

One other guy on the defense made absurd game saving plays too I wanna say Quin?

Quinn was great last year so probably yes. Both those guys made some great interceptions right on the sidelines

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

Probably, Quin is severely underrated.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Gonz posted:

The Lions in general, for ages, have been a compilation of poor ownership and coaches who run around like chickens with their heads cut off, rather than fix things that are broken.

Just a quick reminder that the Lions haven't had a 100+ yard rusher in any game since Reggie Bush did it......on Thanksgiving Day in 2013. Nobody involved with this team between 1999 and 2015 seemed to give a poo poo about the running game or the O-line. "Should we try to find a replacement for Barry Sanders? No. Let's just get a bunch of piecemeal bums and throw them out there and see what happens with no run blocking."

That said, i'm willing to give Martha Ford, Bob Quinn & Pals the benefit of the doubt for the time being, because Old Man Ford and Millen/Mayhew teamed up between 2001-2015 to make sure their book, How Not To Run An NFL Team, had a lot of eager readers.

My Stockholm Syndrome has a tight hold on me and I may never escape from it.

Lions did draft two RBs late in the first round, Kevin Jones and Best. Injuries just derailed them. But yeah your o-line was Backus and a bunch of scrubs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
God, Best was loving awesome.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1023579400694951939

The news and impressions out of the Packers offseason has been so positive that I'm starting to loop back around to being worried that this season won't go well.

Graham can't stop raving about Rodgers which is a great sign after he played with Brees and Wilson and the defense is showing a lot of promise.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Maybe they should've tried out this whole "free agency" thing before lol. And trades, I think there was a period between like 2010 and 2016 that the Packers didn't make a single trade

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

We traded a lot in the draft order; the TT system was great for keeping costs down when resigning your own stars, but that gambles heavily on your ability to identify talent in the draft, develop it, and avoid injury problems.

And the last six or seven drafts had a lot of misses at key positions.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

VJeff posted:

God, Best was loving awesome.

Jahvid Best could've had a very solid career had his brains not been turned into Eggs Benedict at Cal.

I cannot fathom Ameer Abdullah being on the roster come Week 1, short of an injury to someone else or if he's a special teams player. Blount, Johnson and Riddick are getting 99% of the touches if somehow he is.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Gonz posted:

Jahvid Best could've had a very solid career had his brains not been turned into Eggs Benedict at Cal.

Can confirm; poor dude. We thought he died one time when he jumped into the end zone and landed on his head.

There is still his track and field career!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Lions saw a guy have a seizure on the field and thought “let’s use a first round pick on him”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just a heads up for Packers goons here, Kumerow is lining up to be the next Jeff Janis

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1023978292582408192

I'm curious how many WRs the Packers will carry this season. Adams and Cobb for sure, probably Allison, then we have Yancey, Davis, Kumerow, and the three rookies we drafted. I think a couple of the rookies will end up on the practice squad but the rest look decent enough that they'll probably get snapped up by other teams if the Packers don't keep them on the final roster. So we're looking at, what, 6 or 7 for the final roster?

• Locked thread