Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Athanatos posted:

Jay Cutler is/was the best part of this division.

I still can't believe the Bears are going to punt the best quarterback they've ever had out the door (especially when he has no guaranteed money left) just because Pace and Fox are sick of hearing Joe from Naperville rip into them on talk radio and desperately trying to save their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

big money big clit posted:

Please replace his arm with his weird long neck and head, thanks.

(God, forgive me for what I have done.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Beef City posted:

I love hating on the Bears as a Packer fan, but I respect the hell out of you guys. But I just don't know what the gently caress you're doing right now. I really don't.
There's got to be something else at play.

The GM is a moron and he's setting up the coaching staff (which was effectively forced upon him) to fail.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm sure glennon is looking forward to having a chorus of anthropomorphic beef sandwiches braying for dat trubinsky kid [he will be known exclusively as trubinsky in chicago for some reason] to get in there.

You're giving the WSCR caller audience entirely too much credit.

They'll call him Toobinsky.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Abugadu posted:

T...t..t..Trubinsky??

nnnooo...

this was my spot....

it was made for me....

Mother of God, why did I make that Photoshop...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LabyaMynora posted:

I am convinced that the more Mike Glennon plays in the NFL, the sooner we will see him break in a way we have not yet seen a human being break on live TV. I'm imagining his spine bursting through the flesh of his neck or something nuts like that.

Johnny Knox wasn't too far from that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Filthy Casual posted:

Even worse is how they'll put him back together:

I should never have done that Photoshop.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's going to be weird when Wisconsin annexes Chicago after Illinois shuts down from lack of funding.

Wisconsin literally can't get its budget out of the Joint Finance Committee because Scott Walker wants to borrow $850 million to cover the shortfall from his proposed tax cuts and meaningless spending increases to public education, and insists he'll veto any budget that has new taxes or fee hikes without offsetting tax cuts, and Assembly Republicans have grown a pair and said, "Wait, what the gently caress is wrong with you?" (Specifically, the Assembly wants to raise fees on large truck registrations, and wants to implement highway tolling.)

The budget was due by last Saturday, by the way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

*I could be wrong and this only applies to the Interstates

Interstates are under the purview of the federal DOT. So states are free to implement tolling on state highways, but they couldn't throw any on the I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee (which would probably generate an obscene amount of money) without getting approval ... which would likely never happen because of the OMG TAXES ARE BAD lunatics running Washington at the moment.

Just to illustrate how much Walker has cost the state since taking office: If his budget ever gets approved by the Legislature, his overall tax reductions for the state would total $8 billion, with literally no offsetting revenue increases (which is why basically every state department is operating on shoestring budgets and relying upon LTEs).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Still angry about Walker cancelling that rail line years and years ago.

That was one of the most ridiculous things, because contracts had already been signed. Instead of them being honored, Walker and Kleefisch basically said "lol no" to the rail fleet manufacturers.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 6, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

how much are regular season bears tickets?

Among the most expensive in the league. I think the average price of a single ticket on the secondary market last year was something like $375.

Edit: Nosebleeds in 324 (so basically sitting on the rear end-edge of the stadium) are going for $119 per for the home opener.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 9, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Filthy Casual posted:

I thought 2014 and 2016 were this thing. We had Matt Barkley as our top QB.

Eau de Emery lingers for years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fishing with the fam posted:

Congrats Timby. You have released that scourge upon a much large audience today.

I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Tribune has the knives out for Glennon, too; David Haugh (who isn't their Bears beat guy, but the guy who writes their "big" football stories) had a piece drop last night saying Glennon's done nothing to deserve the starting job and the Bears are actively tanking if they start him in Week 1.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

the 100% guaranteed sucking Glennon provides.

$19 million guaranteed. :stare:

I swear, Pace is trying to get fired.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drat, my Glennophant monstrosity photoshop keeps making the rounds.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, for the first time in ages they aren't in the top 10 in sacks allowed this year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Goddammit, the Bears' defense is going to save Fox's job.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

Why hasn't John Fox been fired? Like, after that challenge played out, he should have just been immediately fired.

Lovie Smith accomplished the rare task of burning consecutive timeouts, which is theoretically impossible, and he didn't get fired until the next season.

Bears.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

how does john fox still have a job

The McCaskeys.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fishing with the fam posted:

Pace isn't going anywhere. When you hire a dude that young and with so little experience you are resigning yourself to some growing pains and missed picks those first couple of years. I don't see Pace getting fired for another 3 or 4 years even if the team is still garbage, unless Mitch turns out to be a massive bust.

Pace absolutely has the "first-time coach hire, not genuinely my guy" grace period on him, he's been clearly distancing himself from Fox since last offseason and he'll likely survive the housecleaning, but he used up pretty much all of his goodwill with both the Glennon signing and the still-hilarious trade for Trubisky. He won't survive long if the team takes a wet fart out of the gate with his hand-picked coach next year, especially since his contract will be up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fox losing the locker room is basically the least-surprising thing in recorded history.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

why on earth would you be in any of those places

Springfield isn't so bad, honestly.

loving Rockford, though...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

Still not as bad as Dubuque though.

Oh gently caress you, Dubuque is GORGEOUS.

Horribly racist, but gorgeous.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Also while I'm bitching about the Bears, gently caress them for making a deal to only sell RC Cola products in the stadium. Who the gently caress drinks that poo poo?

The new Coke Zero formula tastes like Diet Rite and it's loving weird.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

But David Haugh is going to write an article telling us how steaming mad Virginia McCaskey is any day now!

Haugh isn't nearly as bad as Brad Biggs, who just writes 1,500 words about whatever he feels like making up at the time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KDdidit posted:

Hopefully Ernie Accorsi provides the Giants the same insight as he gave the Bears while consulting for them in their head coach search. Maybe Fox can land on his feet!

Accorsi also picked Ryan Pace for them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Roasted crab? Who the gently caress eats crab any other way than steamed?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Also the Packers gave his current job as Director of Football Operations to Russ Ball as part of the reorganization - looks like he was without a chair when the music stopped. Silverstein says Gutekunst offered him some sort of position, but there's nothing left that doesn't look like a demotion.

The wild thing is that as part of the reorganization, Gutekunst, Ball and McCarthy all report to Mark Murphy. So the Packers' new GM literally doesn't have the authority to hire and fire the coach.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Packers fans are speculating that this organization (and the previous moves) are in large part because Ted Thompson sucks rear end at personal communication and there was a breakdown between him and McCarthy.

Well, didn't McCarthy start taking snipes publicly at the team for its refusal to sign free agents? Also, Tom Oates of the Wisconsin State Journal flat-out quoted team sources in an article as saying that Thompson had become "increasingly more reclusive" in recent years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PupsOfWar posted:

what is Gutekunst's job even

If he doesn't have authority over the coaching staff and doesn't manage salaries then he's in charge of...drafting and what else?

Gutekunst: Roster
McCarthy: Team
Ball: Cap

All reporting to Murphy, who says he wants to be more involved in football operations now and literally said that if, say, McCarthy and Gutekunst are in total disagreement over something, he'll break the tie.

This was the same setup they had in the late '80s, with Lindy Infante and Tom Braatz both reporting to the team president, which led to incredible dysfunction (Braatz and Infante hated each other, so they were both politicking against one another), and ultimately resulted in Bob Harlan making the call to give total control over football operations to Ron Wolf.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

All in all reading about these mistakes is actually super encouraging.

Except for Murphy saying he wants to be more involved in football operations (when the money man decides he's going to be a factor in football, that very rarely ends well) and Gutekunst not having the authority to pick his coach.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PupsOfWar posted:

my sense has always been that rodgers really is not big on living in green bay

To be fair, no one is really big on living in Green Bay.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah but they got bought and they suck now. Last time I went the buns were stale and the waitresses weren't even hot but rude college girls. Old fashioned just keeps getting better though.

Nah, Tipsy Cow is still owned by Patrick O'Halloran (who owns Lombardino's) with Sue Kirtan and Michael Banas. They are opening up a second location in Sun Prairie, though.

But yeah, the service at Tipsy Cow has always been terrible ever since the day it opened; last I heard they have a poo poo ton of front-of-house turnover including management.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

That's either a sign of bad management on the upper end, an "any warm body" policy for hiring, or both.

I'm going to guess based on this bad management cost them the good workers, causing them to adopt "ok, did they apply and can they work the hours?" policy of hiring.

The thing that boggles me about the Tipsy Cow is that I've never had a bad experience, service- or food-wise, at the owners' other Madison restaurant, Lombardino's. But every single time I've gone to Tipsy Cow, from the day it opened years ago to my most recent experience there a few weeks ago, there's been something wrong. You'd think with the owners' experience they would have worked out the kinks since they opened literally seven years ago; plenty of time to find and hire upper management who can crack the whip.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bears have declined their option on Sitton and cut Freeman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

sources said McCarthy's committee of veteran players suggested that Randall be released

... is this normal? Because this doesn't seem like it should be normal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nerve posted:

How dare anybody imply the state the elected Walker twice

Three times, since he won the recall election.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

But he gives players the chance to determine their market, which I suspect they'd appreciate.

It's pretty silly if that's what he does

Brad Biggs of the Tribune has confirmed on multiple occasions that this is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

At least it's better than

He bought his ooooown plane ticket

The best Bears fuckup was scheduling a press conference to introduce Dave McGinnis without ever actually making him a contract offer.

Michael McCaskey was a special kind of stupid.

• Locked thread