Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Golden Tate what the hell are you doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

Embarrassed by the hat but it was a charity event for children and adults with mental disabilities at a Trump golf course

A fundraiser for Trump and his campaign then, even worse

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I am excited for the 2017 Detroit Lions

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Plus better football, better stadium, better city and fanbase

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Filthy Casual posted:

Just...lol, man.

I can leave Ford Field and be home by the 2nd quarter of the 4:30 game, not be stuck with the SNL Superfans drunkenly piling up traffic in front of a currently closed aquarium.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Currently closed? I was just at the Shedd last week, definitely open. Also I along with thousands of other fans don't drive to/park at the stadium.

If you can't pet an otter after a game, it's closed.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
How many Bears fans are in Chicago, and how many are in Detroit

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

SKULL.GIF posted:

Supposedly Detroit is nice to live in if you're a techbro

But then everyone hates you

Downtown Detroit is coming back, attached is a video of the master plan.

https://youtu.be/ZDOI0cq6GZM

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Hot Diggity! posted:

Grand Rapids is cool.

Meh,

Grand Rapids is what happens when the whitest, most uptight people in the world attempt to replicate the culture found in other, actual cities.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

This is the news I wanted.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Speleothing posted:

Can you even buy the color rush jerseys? I always assumed it was a thing to sell jerseys, but now I'm not sure.

Either way it should stop.

The Lions had a black color rush jersey last season that was never worn on the field, and the team didn't want to wear it on the field. But, it was promoted and for sale in the team store, despite never actually being worn.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Parallelwoody posted:

Are they by far the most competent? I know the pistons didn't do so hot last year but did they have an egregious off-season or something? Either way, I'm pretty sure it's still a sign of the end times.

The Pistons will stink as long as Andre Drummond is your franchise player.

Andre Drummond is not a franchise player, neither is Justin Abdelkader.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Dan Gilbert's Detroit City SC is going to be funny as hell.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I bought a pack of football cards today, because it had this hilarious juxtaposition:

However, something amazing was inside!

"Passing The Torch"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Going to Lambeau for the first time next week, anything that I should see in particular? Any recommendations?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/894625326457901059

Look at this boring motherfucker

I need a QB who will passive aggressively spike balls into the Turf and glare at players silently. When the team needs to be motivated.

Why does he hold his arms like that?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

R.D. Mangles posted:

also the fact that, without natural predators in chicago, glennon can grow larger and more unwieldy and perhaps breed more glennons that could do severe damage to numerous tree ecosystems

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Jake Rudock is a proven winner, you can't teach that

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Someone please Photoshop a big neck into that baby, or switch heads or something

Also, here is an article from the magazine: http://www.chicagoparent.com/learn/general-parenting/pros-and-cons-of-ditching-clothes-when-you-have-kids/

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Parallelwoody posted:

How many games will it take this year to realize rooting for the lions is only a path to misery? Six?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
An article about the NFL's kindest owner, Martha Ford.

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/martha-ford-tries-to-whip-detroits-embattled-football-team-into-shape/Content?oid=5394155

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Lions!

- the Lions won!
- I got a Matthew Stafford bobblehead when I got to the game!
- the Lions did nothing for the time I had to see business clients, then began to play at a convenient time and won!

THE LIONS!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Why is Lions-Bears not an option? They've produced some of the most truly putrid games I've ever watched and the only notable moment I can think of in recent memory is Calvin Johnson getting jobbed on the definition of a catch

It's Lions-Vikings.

The Packers have somewhat of a rivalry with everyone else, with the Lions being their weakest. The Lions also share Michigan with the Packers, with the UP as Packers country and most of the Lower Peninsula rooting for the Lions.

The Bears typically get some Detroit-Chicago and Minnesota-Chicago hate.

The Lions have no real reason to care about the Vikings. It's never been a rivalry from close cities, or from two teams that were both good at the same time. And, the reaction to getting the Vikings for Thanksgiving (twice) was considerably muted than when Green Bay or Chicago came for Thanksgiving.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Getting back to rivalries, as a Lions fan, I was apathetic about the Vikings until this article, now I want this bullshitting kid punched in the face repeatedly

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Lions consistently lose to every team that finishes better than them, and beat every team that finishes worse.

Essentially, the Lions are perennially 9th in the NFC. When they get a strong schedule, they end up in 12th place, play other weak teams next year, and sneak into the playoffs, before the cycle begins anew.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Can you name literally any other player on the Lions from 2009 to 2013? Suh and Johnson were terrific players. They were also the only good players on the Lions aside from Stafford and the loving kicker, which is why the Lions went 4-12 even when Johnson was breaking the single-season receiving record.

edit: :rip: Jason Hanson

kyle vanden bosch

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
To break it down another way...

The Lions, Packers, and Vikings are all 2-1, the Bears are 1-2.

- Three of the four losses within the division all come against Atlanta, so those losses effectively cancel out. Only the Vikings still play Atlanta.
- Minnesota and Chicago both beat a team the other team lost to, so those two kinda cancel out.
- The only real differences are the Lions beating their NFC East opponent (which can come into play with Green Bay playing Dallas and Minnesota playing Washington), and the Packers/Vikingss beating the divisional opponents that everyone is expected to beat.

The luck of the draw game that could give the Lions a slight edge, all other things considered, is getting to play the Giants when their divisional opponents have to play better teams in that slot.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

VJeff posted:

And they made a big deal about how Cook never fumbled.

There was also a mention on Minnesota's kicker having a consecutive FG streak, right before he hit one off the goalpost.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

VJeff posted:

Eric Ebron is the Darren Helm of the Lions, right down to the "if only his hands weren't made of stone."

Eric Ebron isn't fast

Eric Ebron never won a championship

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LabyaMynora posted:

If the Packers signed Kap, there'd be bitching and moaning, but if Kap won games, within 2 weeks you'd have overweight white guys with afro picks awkwardly hanging in their stringy, greasy hair raising black power fists to each other as greetings

I want the Lions to win the division as much as anything else, but Colin Kaepernick leading the Green Bay Packers to a Super Bowl victory would be hilarious.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Best costume is still

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deki posted:

I don't even know why y'all Lions fans even hate the Packers so much. The natural enemies of the Lions are the Lions.

Bill Schroeder was a Lion

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I have an incredible Lions story.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/status/935232223095218176

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

The only non-stadium trough I've ever encountered was in the on campus underground bar at my podunk liberal arts college. They're loving gross and a huge waste of water to boot.

You never went to the Joe?

The Joe had troughs.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

KDdidit posted:

Chicagoans drink RC, that's who. There's tons of food places in Chicago and the suburbs that have RC as the fountain drink on tap. You can get a 2 liter most places for .99 too, it's the Old Style of soda.

It's the Old Style of soda is an amazingly backhanded compliment.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/brandymancan/status/939982728279273473

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Bob Morales posted:

Lions play on Saturday. At 4:30!

Do I go to the game and spend $80 on lovely seats and $10 miller lights?

You should not do this

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The only time I really watch regular season basketball is on Christmas Day, out of sheer and total boredom, for a little while, before taking a nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I just went to the Pistons/Warriors game, and the most exciting parts were:

- a shot at the end of the first half
- the last 1:30 of the game

It was close the entire game, and still.

The best sport, obviously, is either high-level hockey or crazy high-scoring garbage hockey.

• Locked thread