Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Scipiotik posted:

In a perfect world maybe, but what are the odds Pace and Fox will be around if they tank hard enough to get one of the top QBs next year?

I think Pace gets one more hire after John Fox. Because Ownership kinda forced heavily suggested John Fox onto him when he became available.

If Floyd or White or *insert Pick this year* show up, stay healthy and play well Pace is a lock to get a chance hire his own coach. Pace has hit on a couple of later picks even though his First Picks have had injury issues. Jordan Howard is a huge find.

John Fox will get launched though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

looking forward to Ego Ferguson making it to the probowl based entirely on the 8.5 sacks he has against mike giraffe unable to run away from him because of his long, ungainly limbs

Welp

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/849727644752936960

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

i have no loving idea what the bears should do, only that if they pick a qb, he'll be out of the league before the end of his rookie contract and if they pass on the QB that dude is going to the HOF

I'm all in on Watson.

So it is most assuredly the wrong decision.

But a different wrong decision than the Bears front office will make.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

bears announcing their trubisky jerseys will be released as part of the Enis Collection.

Man. I should go to my parents house and get my Enis Jersey out of my old closet.

This might deserve it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/bustedcoverage/status/857751723317882880

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

not only did the bears panic and overpay for a quarterback, they also were so stealthy about this same quarterback that they 1. didn't have him come in for personal workouts 2. didn't meet with him 3. didn't call him to tell him he was going to be drafted

https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/857775094206222337

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/patrickfinley/status/857769248063721472

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

So I'd like to apologize for my rash statements and Bears Meatballishness without fully scouting out his play and intangibles.

Mitch is gonna be the best QB of all time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GNU Order posted:

They were so shook they gave up 3 picks to move up a spot.

There is no defending that

I mean there is a way to defend it.

If you think this dude can be a top flight QB in the league then it's easily worth all the picks they gave up if they knew some other team was about to jump them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

Yes, but why on earth would the Bears think that about him when they never met him, never worked him out, and never talked to him to let him know they were drafting him?

We all know how badly QBs can bust even when teams do their due diligence. There's no due diligence here. It's literally throwing a dart in a dark room with a blindfold on and hoping for a bullseye.

It will be an absolute miracle if this guy plays one iota better than Jimmy Clausen.

Turns out they did. They and his camp were just able to keep it on the low. They had a private workout with him and meetings that the media didbt get wind of.

Outside of the initial shock I'm fine with this.

Like other posters have said it's the Bears finally not being conservative as gently caress and actually throwing resources at QB and if they like Mitch then they like Mitch.

If this works then great we have a QB, if it doesn't work then we get another GM and scouting division and keep on getting early picks to throw at it.

I generally have liked Pace's drafting though his 1st round picks have both had unlucky injury problems. gently caress Fox tho.

Put Pace and Trubiski on the cover of SI in a wedding dress and a suit.

I just want finally want a loving QB or someone to put hope even if its false hope into.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

reminder that either the bears spent 18m on a QB they won't play or

they'll try to make Mitch the first successful QB to sit since Jay cutler over a decade ago

Who cares. Glennon's contract is set up so he can be shitcanned after a year. The Bears had the cap space and got a stopgap QB who has more "upside potential" than Hoyer or Barkley. And they structured the deal so it won't kill them if when he sucks.

People need to stop caring about NFL contracts. As they are almost never as bad as they seem, as the NFL's player's contracts are the most malleable contract in sports.

Also Aaron Rodgers sat for like 3 years or so and he's more recent than Cutler, also Kirk Cousins.

I don't think this is going to work out. But gently caress, at least someone did something bold and are taking risks. Rather than taking these safe rear end picks for more mediocrity.

Being bad going all in, is better than being bad and losing by a thousand cuts.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 28, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

rodgers got drafted a year before cutler fyi

forgot to mention. saw a gruden segment where he had to teach mitch what a hard count was, Mitch had no idea about going on 2. probably because 98% of his snaps were in shotgun

but yeah overall I agree. the bears have never taken risks for a super long time and this is a huge cultural shift that's honestly for the best long term. they just chose the wrong year to do it

oh yeah I'm an idiot then

But yeah, I'm at the point where who cares.

a QB is more important than some 3rd or 4th round picks. And if you think you're right on the QB then go ahead and sign your name in ink on that motherfucker, and do whatever it takes to get him.

Hell Pace loved Mariota and was trying like hell to trade up to draft him. And Pace has generally done fairly well drafting outside of the first rounders who keep getting hurt. And legitimately I dunno how much I can blame him for that.

I'm just gonna give Pace the benefit of the doubt and then if when this blows up and he sucks we are still bad and are still drafting early then so be it. Prefer that than drafting 10-15th all the goddamn time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also do people talk about Eagles giving more actual first round value picks to move up for Wentz?

This whole thing is ridiculous. It's just going to come down to if Mitch is any drat good.

The Bears gave up some 3rd and 4th round lottery tickets for a guy they think is legit.

We'll see if he is any good, but get off the ledge. It's not like a GM failing and a QB being bad is going to be some shocker for Bears fans who have never experienced such failure before.

At least they are probably going to fail spectacularly now rather than doing the whole mediocre false hope of taking a next step thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GNU Order posted:

A decade of Lovie Smith era drafting has led me to believe the 4th round is a worthless pick anyway. If he's your guy go get him, QB is bar none the most important thing. What bothers me is

1. I have no confidence in the coaching staff

2. The FO met with him at the combine and maybe one other workout but otherwise was invisible to him.

3. People are saying nobody wanted to come up to 2 anyway. That could be bullshit, who knows for sure. And realistically it's more embarrassing than anything else but still is the cherry on top.

Mike Glennon's contract is irrelevant but panicking to jump one spot up to draft a guy you had minimal contact with but still believe could be a franchise player is a bad look, regardless of how good or bad he ends up being.

That's mainly what I'm upset about, the whole thing makes the FO look like they don't know what they're doing

1. I have none in the coaching staff, good thing they are likely fired after this year.

2. I think most NFL teams outthink themselves often. After the combine nothing really matters(and the combine's value is only meeting with players). I Trust game tape more than numbers people who are specifically training for their pro days, and their combine numbers in shorts. How many combine and pro day work out warriors have actually worked out. Meanwhile Teddy had a bad pro-day and dropped and played well before an unfortunate injury.

3. The Bears could be lying, or Other GM's could be lying because they are seeing the reaction the Bears got, but Pace was talking about how he was fielding calls for the third pick, and his feelers were telling him that people were calling the Niners for QB's. Could be wrong, hell maybe he got played. But If you think the QB is that dude then you go for it.

It takes a ton of balls to put your name on the line and do that for a QB. Because you are now attached to that QB no matter how well the rest of your drafts are. Pace's fate is now tied to Trubisky.

Yeah Mike Glennon is a 1 year prove it deal. If Glennon is good you can trade him and his contract that are essentially consecutive one year deals. If Glennon is great(lmao) you have Trubisky behind him and can trade him, or any number of permutations. If Both are bad then Pace is gone and we get more early picks to build a team around.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm curious who the Bears would have drafted (or who you would have wanted the Bears to draft) instead if they'd stayed put at 3.

I liked Adams.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/857776488787173380

He already knows how to endear himself to Dumb Bears fans.

Keep in mind. This dude was like 3 or 4 when Payton died :laffo:

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 28, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

OSheaman posted:

Dexo I feel you man and yeah of course if Trubisky pans out then it's all worth it. I think most of the laughing is that the dude is a total goober who loves titties and the Packers (yo), and the Bears probably got played, but they made their swing-for-the-fences pick and that's fine. I think the smarter move is to acquire lots of picks in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory since it's going to be a couple of years before the Bears are competing for the division anyway and this draft is so good for defense that you could really give yourself a young core from which to build. Chances are pretty decent that the Bears have another top 10 pick next year and the QB class there is pretty much universally thought to be more exciting than this crop.

But it's nice to have a high profile guy to be excited about! And it fills the time between now and training camp, meanwhile my team will trade all their picks away to stockpile even more picks for *farts*

The thing is a team can be complete dogshit outside of QB and if the QB is good the team is competing.

The Packers have rolled out some hot garbage on defense, and mediocrity on offense when Nelson has been hurt. And Aaron Rodgers has often single handedly covered up for how subpar the vaunted Packer's front office has been at drafting recently.

Also Next year's class is always better. Until the top QB prospect sucks in college for whatever reason, and people actually start scouting and dissecting their game in depth.

The Colts when Luck are healthy are capable of winning 10 games(albeit in a weaker division) and Luck has absolutely nothing around him.

Mitch has to be that dude, or else Pace is fired and the Bears get another shot at a top 5 pick.

Edit:

And I totally get the laughing. As i was right there. But at some point I just realized it doesn't matter. I prefer my football teams being at one of two ends of the spectrum after years and years of mediocrity between 6-10 - 9-7.

Come back to me after 2 more years of comical badness and I might feel differently. But for now I don't mind it.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 28, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

OSheaman posted:

No I get that and yeah the system is definitely set up (much like the NBA) where mediocrity is sometimes the worst thing that can happen to a franchise. I just feel like the opposite is sometimes also true, like the Broncos dragging Manning's corpse to a Super Bowl, and I just feel like this year is a chance to reload and plug a lot of holes to prep for a shot at the top guy next year.

And my memory may be wrong here but I remember people saying this year's QB class was underwhelming long before the draft hype kicked in.

Like I said it's obvious by how much he gave up that Pace really really really loving likes Trubisky.

If he's willing to put that much faith in the guy. Then I'll let him cook. Pace is literally singularly tying his job and future prospects to him. If he's that confident and willing to do that then I'll give him a shot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

beejay posted:

The Bears have drafted WRs, yes, I dunno about "investing" in them. I certainly don't think they are set at the position.

Cam Meridth is the future. gently caress a Alshon Jeffery.

:smith: Alshon

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/people/status/857927407931707392

:smith: Have fun the best QB of my Bears fandom.

May your kids not die of easily preventable diseases.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

He also hates the bulls! And apparently people of color!

I mean I can bond with him over hating the Bulls

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The the Cubs winning a WS take up all of the joy I'm allowed for the rest of my life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

Gotta hand it to the kid, he's taking it extremely well.

Seems like a monkey's paw situation - "I wish to be one of the top 2 picks in the NFL draft!" *Gets drafted by Chicago, a city that loves to hate their QBs.*

Usually everyone loves rhe backups.

loving People loved Caleb Goddamn Hanie.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

beejay posted:

What was the tweet

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lazerbeam posted:

The 2017 bears draft class looks weak on paper and Fox looks set to go by the end of the season, so I have to ask: When are the bears going to even start looking like an average team?

When they get a QB. And can actually stay healthy.

If dat dere trubinsky fella turns out to be good....

Drafts grades based off immediate reactions mean little to nothing to me. It's the acceptance of hey this GM just signed his name in ink. if this he hosed it up he'll be fired.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Draft grades are handed out like IGN review scores.

A = fine
B = sucks
C = kill yourself
D = Nobody ever gets this

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams-five-earn-as-and-two-fall-short-with-ds/

quote:

They made a strange move to give up so much to move up a spot to No. 2 overall and draft North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. They could have stayed in their third spot and landed him, but gave up too much to move up a spot. If he's a star, they will be laughing at all us. But why give Mike Glennon that contract if this was what you planned to do? Second-round tight end Adam Shaheen from Ashland is a big, physical tight end. But this is all about Trubisky and that trade.
Grade: D

Lets goooo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If only I could be a fly on the wall for that pre production meeting between the coaches and Cutler

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/867807905571102723

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/867808695077527553

Glennon finally has weapons

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

What if you hate both the Packers and the Bears?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah I'm indifferent towards the Vikings and Lions.

Just really really hate the Bears and Packers

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I am personally willing, given the opportunity, to lead an expedition north, over the Mackinac Bridge, across the UP, and into the cursed land of Wisconsin, so that we may sack the city of Green Bay, destroy Lambeau Field, and salt the earth so that nothing may grow again.

That's more than messecary. If you jettison the team that city will destroy itself. The Packers are the only thing keeping northern Wisconsin from dying off.

They are gonna be forced to burn their "ownership" stake to keep warm.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 5, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah Wisconsin is what would happen to Illinois if the Dems weren't obstructing Rauner's bullshit

And dont get me wrong. Large parts of the Illinois Dems are also garbage in their own special way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It builds character.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

oh i'm sorry when's the last time Detroit won a Super Bowl?

I'll wait

Bragging about championships won before I was born :smug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh Indianapolis > Detroit

Other than Indianapolis though Indiana sucks

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

no way pace puts trubisky out there, dude has a job precisely as long as he can prevent everyone from seeing how much trubisky sucks

I can't wait until it gets to the point where Pace just sets up a cutout of Trubisky with a juggs machine behind it at training camp.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Look at this majestic QB of the future

https://twitter.com/DickersonESPN/status/890250772180500480

Edit

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/890260635799494656

Uh Trubisky is like the third QB on the roster.

Edit 2

Oh Mike Glennon.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 26, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man. Pace I think might be decent at drafting players.(Jury still out)

But whoo boy he hasn't done well in free agency.

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/890412666535194625

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Phil Emery owned

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/892344250020638721

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/patrickfinley/status/892799881341005824

I love my dumb sports team.

• Locked thread