Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm Glad The Packers Lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

fishing with the fam posted:

Shea McClellin won a ring. That bothers me more than it reasonably should.

Kyle Van Noy too! Hell, they even said nice things about him during the broadcast. Worst part of the whole Super Bowl IMO

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Filthy Casual posted:

The Bad Boys were late 80s early 90s, then the Wings got good around '93. I guess that leaves '91 as the one possible year the Lions could be that.

They made it to the NFCCG in '91 so that might fly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm pretty sure the nfl will literally cease to exist before the bears are ever good again, we've got like what, 20 years or so before the horrifying barbarity of professional football ceases to be acceptable

I've been saying this about the Lions for a couple years now, quit cribbing my style.

Fellow Lions fans who actually paid attention to the leadup to the draft, tell me why I should or shouldn't be excited for this Davis guy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I forget who said it where but Trubisky is the most Chicago-sounding name I've heard in a long time so at least he has that going for him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love my fat-faced QB.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I am happy with what I saw from the Lions today, other than them losing on a weird technicality at the very end.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Scipiotik posted:

Unlike Ebron who managed to drop like 3 straight need to have passes which is why that whole poo poo show at the end happened the way it did.

Yeah actually I lied in my last post- I am unhappy with how much we threw to Ebron towards the end. For every clutch catch he does end up making, he has two or three anti-clutch drops. Those are terrible odds for the end of a game!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Gonna laugh real hard when Chicago wins the division after starting 0-4 in the NFC, and with a rookie QB no less.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The Packers aren't making the playoffs without him. Sorry.

Serious question: Who does?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

From the NFC North? The Lions or Vikings. Or do you mean who makes the playoffs when your starting qb goes down? Almost nobody unless you have a really good defense that keeps the games low scoring in the first place.

The first one- who wins the division if the Packers don't have Rodgers the rest of the season?

They're not going to win the division, but thank gently caress Detroit won its road game against Minnesota. And their game in Detroit is Thanksgiving.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Lions are going to lose the division in a year where multiple other teams in the division are on their 2nd string quarterbacks.

So it was four years ago, so it shall be again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

curiosity hosed me up posted:

Fire Jim Caldwell and Jim Bob Cooter

After last season I was telling everyone that this would be a make-or-break year for Caldwell, not having a contract beyond 2017 and all. So of course they just extended him during the off-season :lol:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MikeCrotch posted:

After a few decades of crushing despair, you take wallowing mediocrity if you can get it

In terms of wins & losses the last three years have been the best Lions football that I can remember

:negative:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Will they help him be better at catching the football? I don't give a gently caress otherwise

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
After losing 24(?) in a row, the Lions have won two of their last three games at Lambeau.

VJeff posted:

Anybody wanna crack wise about Stafford's contract now?!

After that terrible red zone series from the GB 1 or 2 I texted my dad "next time mom whines about Stafford, show her the last three plays"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Let's talk about how dumb the Lions offensive playcalling is

Good: throwing the ball
Bad: running the ball

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

OxySnake posted:

Also not sure if this has been posted or not, but Stafford owns.

https://youtu.be/8rvIwyikbRU

He does. What the clip doesn't show you is that they were down 24-3 at one point but somehow ended up winning.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

R.D. Mangles posted:

i think it is good, that franchise savior mintchell trubinsky got outplayed by a DIII quarterback

Read this as Dill Quarterback

Bring back Pickles IMO

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the megaman x7 of quarterbacks

You take that back

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yesterday marked Detroit's first divisional road sweep in over 50 years :toot:

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I bought the plush toy of this dog from the kickstarter and it arrived at my office within a week of a coworker's boyfriend dying in a fire. As soon as I opened the package and realized what it was, I put it away and didn't finish opening it till I got home. I'd planned on leaving it at my desk, cause...funny dog toy for the office, right?

Nope. never brought it in. Didn't want to explain the joke.

I interviewed at a place a few weeks ago and as I was walking to the interview room I passed by someone who had that comic printed and hung up in her cubicle. I caught her eye and gave her a thumbs up as I pointed to the comic. I did not get the job.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I didn't even know he was still in the league.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

I'm convinced that Jim Caldwell could be beaten by the AI in a Madden game at this point. Good thing he got that extension, though. He's truly a genius coaching mind.

In terms of W-L, we are witnessing the best Lions football of the past 25 years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

I suppose “breathtaking mediocrity” is a step up from “mindboggling incompetence”.

:shrug:

"best" is a relative term.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BGrifter posted:

The Lions are missing their one season window with Rodgers injured. Many Lions fans won't live to see their next opportunity.

This same scenario played out in 2013 but instead of just Rodgers being injured it was every non-Lions QB in the NFC North. We had to do something like win two of our last six or seven games to lock up the division and only won one. That was way more painful IMO.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, there's a big difference between the Lions getting edged out by a strong Vikings team that could easily end up with 13 wins, and losing 6 of the last 7 games to let the Packers win the division at 8-7-1

Also while this is going to sound like total Not Mad-ism, a Lions win yesterday would have meant that we were still one game back in the division, so a division title still wouldn't have been guaranteed. We would just as easily be having this conversation later in the season when we blew a winnable game elsewhere.

Also, ironically enough the best comparison for that blown division crown in '13 would be if the Vikings somehow didn't win it this season.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My dad will be dead before the Lions win a playoff game again.

Probably my mom too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Told my dad today that the only times I watch the Lions is when I'm visiting family and he said that he was proud of me :unsmith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hire Jim Schwartz

Would unironically take Schwartz back with a more talented roster because at least they would give a poo poo again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
We absolutely should have fired Schwartz when we did but I was still sad to see him go. With Caldwell I feel nothing but annoyance and disappointment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

VJeff posted:

Schwartz brought fire as the Packers swept the Lions and Caldwell was just kinda there as the Packers split with the Lions. :v:

(This probably doesn't line up as cleanly as I want it to)

I still don't quite understand how we won @ Lambeau in 2015. I remember the place holder getting a couple fingers on that GW field goal attempt and sending it off course but I don't remember how it got to that point in the first place.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There was a five-year span of time where my one aunt would get me some sort of Lions paraphernalia for Christmas, including the same baseball cap in back to back years because the only thing she knew about me was that I liked them. No jerseys though, I do have that Lions-branded Megatron shirt but haven't had the heart to wear it since he retired :(

I wish I wore hats because there's a vintage sports gear shot downtown that has Lions hats with the old-timey skinny lion logo and they look fresh as gently caress.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

howe_sam posted:

Minus the racism swipes that's basically my dad's take, the evil sports media is trying to tear down Caldwell because sports media hates the Lions reflexively.

No one in sports media will ever hate the Lions as much as Lions fans hate the Lions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

In which the Lions sweep the Packers for the first time since 1991, and have back to back winning seasons for the first time since 1994 and 1995, but it's all for naught because they poo poo the bed against a horrendous Cincy team last Sunday.

Lions.txt, the story of my life.

I said it before but being a Lions fan is saying "I can't believe it!" when deep down you 100% knew it was coming.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

VJeff posted:

Looking like it's not gonna matter that the Lions lost last week.

But that 10 second runoff still looms rather large. :/

Throw that one on the list of rules that have screwed the Lions and then been reviewed/revised the following off-season. Feels like it happens once a season.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

the lions absolutely can gently caress up this coaching change and since they're the lions i am firmly convinced they will, but i am also fairly certain if they stuck with caldwell they'd have been perpetually in the 7-9/9-7 range where they will never get a good draft pick or make the playoffs. i dont really see a scenario where this caldwell lions team ever becomes a consistent playoff team. there's at least hope now (lmao)

Someone in another thread likened Caldwell staying on in Detroit to Marv Lewis in Cincy- a lot of time hovering at or just above .500 but no significant success (though Marv has managed to win a number of division titles, which Detroit obviously hasn't done), so you never know if you should move on or not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pro as gently caress title change IMO

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

nerve posted:

I hope all nfc North teams win Superbowls in my lifetime :)

Got some bad news for you my dude.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shangri-Law School posted:

Jim Bob Cooter could have won them a Super Bowl in 2014.

That 2014 squad was probably the best Lions teams (talent-wise) I have seen in my lifetime and it was super-disappointing to see them lose that WC game to Dallas. I don't think they'll be that good on paper again for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

Jim Bob Cooter is apparently being retained as the Lions OC after Patricia gets hired next week.

I'm down for this.

• Locked thread