Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Danny LaFever posted:

Lions have the magical ability of being hosed over by the NFL's lovely rules.

they're absolutely the best team in the NFL at this statistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no they lost a close game in week 3 literally kill him, s hoot him to death

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im sure he will regress to the mean

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gonz posted:

Eric Ebron is David Sloan 2.0 and it still infuriates me to this very day that dumbshit Mayhew took him in the top 10 over the likes of Aaron Donald, OBJ or Taylor Lewan.

And hey Taylor Decker, please come back soon, because the Lions O-line is a goddamn turnstile of awfulness.

i cant fault them TOO much for the Ebron pick because some of this stuff is hindsight but it seems like they had their mind made up about not bringing Fairley back so passing on Donald irritated the poo poo out of me even at the time. i mean i wasnt thrilled about the pick because you can't really spin it as a need or BPA and how often are tight ends worthy of a top ten pick, plus his body of work didn't support it either. but even if you want to lend them the benefit of the doubt for all that they still definitely knew they needed a defensive tackle.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i mean literally who cares if a football team wastes money, especially on a contract that definitely wont last past the rest of this season

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

what i am most looking forward to as a Lions fan is them letting Ansah walk and watching him immediately return to peak performance after he signs a one year deal with some stupid NFC West team

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

did the guy making you read deadspin die or something

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have AHL season tickets and its definitely fun to go but lmao if you think more than one or two of these teams in the entire league can run more than one line that can actually possess the puck. its all dump and chase and its more bad than higher level dump and chase, which is impressive.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Anyone who identifies themselves as a fan of one particular sport over another is the worst

gordon hayward broke his own leg to play more esports, thats how dedicated he is to loving esports more than basketball

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

saying there's no strategy in basketball because of who is winning championships is a bit silly especially when you consider the historic success the Spurs have had through team building and on court adjustments. also abloo bloo the best player in the history of the sport keeps making the finals.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

look i think that we can all agree that whether you like it or not, statistically matthew stafford is a quarterback who plays for the detroit lions in the national football league

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the mic'd up for that play is legit i think my favorite football thing i've ever watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvIwyikbRU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the trick to the packers conundrum is you can absolutely complain about how hard it is to be a packers fan but also nobody is going to be sympathetic. life is all about learning to manage expectations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the lions should sign five or six of those guys to be the qb and get rid of stafford, if you ask me. not sure why every team doesnt just do this

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Henchman of Santa posted:

Probably an all timer for the regular season, at least for an individual game. 2013 is probably the worst overall because the division was handed to us on a silver platter. The last game of 2000 where Stoney Case lost a QB battle to Shane Matthews and Paul Edinger knocked us out on Christmas Eve (I think) is also up there.

i was at that stoney case game and everyone in my section was like "there's no loving way edinger hits this field goal" since it was something like 54 yards and he wasnt known for their leg strength, but i knew in my heart what was going to happen.

stoney case loving sucked, it was one of the few times it actually made sense for the fans to be clamoring for charlie batch

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if charlie batch had went to usc or something people would have been stanning for mike mcmahon (even more than they already did) instead

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BGrifter posted:

What's really weird is the relentless torrent of poo poo Toronto Maple Leafs fans get. A franchise that hasn't won a championship since 1967 and gets New York Yankees/New England Patriots levels of heat online.

It's loving weird.

"____ grew up as a huge maple leafs fan and has always wanted to play in toronto" regarding every single major free agent is irritating. also bc and ontario have a really dumb slap fight feud so it comes up from that angle too.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they just want new defensive coordinator!!! :drat:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/944308478297780224

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for some reason my girlfriend really wanted to go to the wis dels. she's also the only person i know who weights 90 lbs and has diabetes. so my entire knowledge of the state of wisconsin is contained in this story.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mastershakeman posted:

its best not to own a single piece of team apparel let alone jerseys. even wearing team colors is a bit silly

thats why the only clothes i own are that super black that costs ten thousand dollars. i will NOT wear a sports teams colors.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

best rabidsquid jerseys ranked

winter classic datsyuk
teal horse grant hill
everything else

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you would be surprised at how many people love Jim Caldwell because he threw away a first round draft pick on a guard who has "good character" or if you're from Michigan maybe you wouldn't be.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah but if youre luck man everything should be easier than for a normal person so does that even really count

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the lions absolutely can gently caress up this coaching change and since they're the lions i am firmly convinced they will, but i am also fairly certain if they stuck with caldwell they'd have been perpetually in the 7-9/9-7 range where they will never get a good draft pick or make the playoffs. i dont really see a scenario where this caldwell lions team ever becomes a consistent playoff team. there's at least hope now (lmao)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C-Euro posted:

Someone in another thread likened Caldwell staying on in Detroit to Marv Lewis in Cincy- a lot of time hovering at or just above .500 but no significant success (though Marv has managed to win a number of division titles, which Detroit obviously hasn't done), so you never know if you should move on or not.

i just hope that whoever the next coach is will do something about the predictable play calling. if i never have to see a run out of a formation they have no passing plays out of it will be too soon.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is "looks like Gene from Wet Hot American Summer" a pro or con?

is this a real question. thats a pro baby

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i agree that its very likely coaches may not want to take a job with the lions now that they know the lions will deny them an opportunity to interview with the packers while under contract. this is a real concern most coaches in the league share.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Another profile of Patricia:

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/950439506494345219

My current stance is "Maybe he won't be total garbage fire," but I'm probably being too optimistic.

i feel like he's going to take a job elsewhere and the lions well end up with their eleventh choice signing in two months

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

reading a lot of talk that matt patricia prefers the giants job to the lions, boy am i excited for my "i bet patricia ends up going to the giants and the lions are left with their eleventh choice for head coach" doomsaying being alive and well.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hey thats great, im glad for you tittiekisser69. its always cool when the football team makes the good decisions, or so i am told.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wow, all you football geniuses in here pretending you would know whether or not you should launch your body like a missile at a teammate, or try to wrap up the guy catching the ball? its obvious you've never played a day in your life if you think its so trivial.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

iospace posted:

Nah, that doesn't matter. It's how well ground the flour is. I use unbleached flour for my bread, and it's still considered white.

(seriously, make your own bread, it's amazing)

during the lions 0-16 season i broke my leg and i would spend all day saturdays making italian bread with my girlfriend, and i would gorge myself on bread while spending hundreds of dollars and waking up at 9 am to watch the winless season.

the bread was good though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Malaria posted:

Anyone remember the time Brett Favre got hurt and Doug Pederson came in, played awful, and then literally ripped one of his rear end muscles, putting him on IR for the rest of the year ?

that guy just coached a backup qb into destroying the "best defense" in the NFC.

lol

you're suggesting that ripping rear end muscles has a negative impact on coaching prowess; frankly, that's irresponsible and misleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

blackmongoose posted:

All loose balls out of bounds should be turnovers like in rugby, including the defense having to chuck it in from the sidelines to guys being lifted up by their teammates

all loose balls out of bounds should be live balls that can be fielded by anyone in the stadium not currently legally involved in the play on the field

• Locked thread