Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
There isn't often much in the way of big free agency news for the Packers, but I like this signing a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

This is awesome and yet another reason I'm glad he's on the team.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kalli posted:

Stafford's 29. Even if you're going into a rebuilding phase, why would you want to tank? So you can draft another QB?

And really he is a top 10 QB, or at least has the talent to be one with good enough WRs. He ain't gonna be Aaron Rodgers but I don't think "2nd best QB in the division" is enough to do him justice in the NFC North dumpster fire.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

JGdmn posted:

Is Jimmy Clausen still on a team?

gently caress, beat me to it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

oshuaj posted:

Not a good night for the Packers but I'm still optimistic on the season if we can get healthy

Yeah, going in we were out both starting OTs and poo poo only got worse. And the Falcons in Atlanta was a tall order even for a healthy team. I'm not going to freak out over that loss. That said, we will probably see them again in the playoffs and I'm hoping to see a better game when that comes around.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

fishing with the fam posted:

I was about to say Grossman was good for half of the 2006 season, but after checking his stats, even that isn't true. Grossman always sucked.

He had some very good games when people could actually catch his moonballs, and nearly as many where he threw 3+ picks. Statistically it's one of the most bizarre seasons I've ever seen for a QB but it makes sense if you saw the 2006 Bears.

I think the funniest one is the Vikings game where he went 6-19 for 34 yards and 3 picks and the Bears still won 23-13.

Defense and special teams can get you to a Super Bowl, ask Trent Dilfer or 2015 Peyton Manning.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 8, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'd just like to see the Packers play a good first half. The only game so far where they weren't down at halftime was the Bears. The cowboys game was 21-6 at one point. I'd really like to see them play 60 minutes instead of wonder how Rodgers is going to get them out of this week's mess.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Don't care, I love my team's big gay QB

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

nerve posted:

I would prefer if he was gayer

I'd be 100% down with this

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Losing Rodgers really sucks. I mean, this team just isn't as good as the 2013 squad and I really feel like we're hosed out of what could have been an 11 or 12 win season even if I don't necessarily think a deep playoff run was in the works. Without Rodgers even a wild card spot feels like a reach.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Abugadu posted:

There were a lot of Bills fans trying to justify and be happy with the EJ Manuel pick in the draft recap thread.

That pick blew my mind then and still does now. Bills.txt

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Big Beef City posted:

There are houses that paint fences directly across the street from Lambeau each year.

This is one of them paying homage to Mike Daniels liking anime:

The gently caress... Clay as Thor was my idea. Like, 7 or 8 years ago. Chir was nice enough to even do it up as an av for me when the Packers won the super bowl.

Chir's is better than that one :colbert:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Yeah. If he doesn't improve after the bye and we don't sign Kaep, we're turbofucked.

Please stop saying this. Kaepernick is not an improvement. It's literally flushing money down the toilet.

I mean, I don't really give a poo poo at this point because it's not my money and the Packers probably aren't making the playoffs at this rate, but why even bother? I'd feel differently if there was even one QB in free agency that would be an actual improvement but... yeah, wish in one hand, poo poo in the other, see which one fills up first.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ragle posted:

Kaepernick 2016: 59.2% completion 6.8 ypa 4.8 TD% 1.2% INT% 90.7 Rate
Br. Hundley 2017: 52.5% completion 4.1 ypa 1.7 TD% 6.8% INT% 40.5 Rate

Small sample size. Hundley has started exactly ONE NFL GAME. Kaepernick is not going to be a significant improvement. I don't hate Kaep but it's not worth it to sign him and I'd be utterly shocked if the Packers do so. Either way this season is dead in the water

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

That never gets old.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hizawk posted:

No, one of those runs gets at least five yards.

Against the Packers one of them gets at least 13.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Haha, Morgan, Damarious (he’s had an outstanding second half of the year), Kenny Clark has been amazing, DBak, Bulaga, Linsley... there’s a ton of talent on the roster

Missing Kenny Clark really hurts and it showed last night. Some of the bigger plays the Steelers made, Bell in particular, don't happen if Clark is on the line. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say that we win that game with him playing.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 27, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Also, Morgan Burnett loving owns and I'd love to see what he is truly capable of in a better scheme with a better coordinator.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Agreed totally. That extra attention inside opens up the lane for so much on the exterior. We really couldn't run any decent blitz packages. Like always, and even moreso now with Blake and KC, this defense is 1 exterior pass rusher away from being above average. Of the 11 starters, more than half are somewhere between good and great and exterior pass rush could elevate the D to the next level.

poo poo, if the Packers had a genuine outside pass rush, we could win games even with Hundley. The secondary is good but when a QB has like a year and a half in the pocket, you're going to give up big plays.

E: also, I know he got burnt by Antonio Brown last night (who doesn't get burnt by that guy) but Kevin King is looking like an eventual all pro corner. I'm very impressed with what he's done so far.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 27, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Re: Packers free agents, I think House is gone and I think someone might offer Janis more than the Packers can afford. Good Lord they better not let Burnett go. He's more important than Matthews at this point, even if it makes me sad to admit that.

Davante and Linsley are locks, or at least should be. Then again Linsley could get a sweetheart deal somewhere and I'd consider him the lower priority with how vital Davante has become to the offense. A center is ultimately easier to find than a legitimate star receiver.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 28, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

WHOOPS posted:

the Packers WR cycle is quite something. when was the last time they lacked a number 1 receiver? ‘01?

hall of fame QBs help that, of course, but it’s hard not to be impressed by Driver > Jennings > Jordy > Adams (plus that one year of Javon Walker).

Ted has flaws but his WR drafting is not one of them. We also had strong talent there long before he took over. I'm almost 40 and it's getting legit difficult to remember a time that we didn't have at least one genuine star receiver. I just wish Sterling hadn't broken his loving neck. He was the best of them all and would be in the hall of fame otherwise.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Same but Nick Collins and the legion of pretty-decent Packer safeties we've had. Also Jermichael Finley and the legion of pretty-decent Packers tight ends, though he wasn't as clear-cut a superstar.

What is it with this team and neck injuries?

I don't know, man. And yeah.. Nick Collins was up there with guys like Ed Reed although there was a little less flash in his game. I'll never forget that glorious pick6 in the super bowl.

The only reason Earl Thomas is the best safety in the NFC is because Collins can't play football anymore.

Remember how the Packers defense collapsed in 2011? Guess why that happened.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 28, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

sponges posted:

I’ve always felt pee troughs were the classy way to urinate

Same, but I lived in Europe for 7 years and troughs are much more common there. On busy nights in some bars you are almost shoulder to shoulder in there. I think Americans are just terrified that someone might see their dick.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

Also while I'm bitching about the Bears, gently caress them for making a deal to only sell RC Cola products in the stadium. Who the gently caress drinks that poo poo?

I didn't know RC even existed up north. I only ever saw it in the deep south. Learn something new every day I guess. Is it like Michigan with faygo? Like, people know it sucks, but it's really cheap

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

nerve posted:

I think the Vikings are a top 3 team in the league and should be a SB favorite with the Eagles and Pats.

After what their defense did to the Rams, I'm inclined to agree.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

BGrifter posted:

I thought they were 7-11 because they’re full of bums the manager is too much of a wimp to throw out.

:laffo:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I do actually wonder what the Bears offense would look like if the WR situation wasn't a dumpster fire.

I'm not sold on Trubisky but he really isn't getting the help a rookie QB needs.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Basketball is cool. Go Spurs.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress that, I'm rooting for literally anyone who isn't the Vikings. I hope I live my whole life without ever seeing those fucks with a ring, whether I make it to 40 or 80. I'd even rather see the Patriots or Steelers win it again.

e: Go Rams, Go Jags.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

As long as it's two cat teams in the Super Bowl, I will be happy. You loving bird and human teams have gotten so drat complacent.
Ehhh, but what cat team from the NFC has an actual chance? Carolina is the only one, really.

That said, a Panthers/Jags super bowl would be pretty awesome. poo poo, I don't know who I'd even root for. Neither have ever won and both have players I really like.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, y'all can say whatever you want... I'd rather see the world end in a nuclear disaster than see the Vikings win a super bowl. That said, I don't think I'd even mind if the Lions finally got one. After 0-16 they deserve some sort of recompense.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tres Burritos posted:

Show me on the doll where the viking touched you

Whatever spot that Brett Favre was in before he went to Minnesota. I'm still so loving glad the Saints wrecked them out of that year and hey, my mom's a saints fan so she got to see her team finally get one. That was cool, and the Packers got another one the very next year.

Go Rams/Jags/Eagles/other not-Vikings teams without rings.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Soothing Vapors posted:

It is always ethically correct to wish ill on the Vikings

A correct and good post.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

ITT packers fans punch down on other less fortunate franchises

Eh, I just really hate the Minnesota Football Vikings.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nobody is complaining about how hard it is to be a Packers fan Jesus loving Christ you can be content with something and also critique it holy poo poo

Exactly. We have arguably the worst defense in the league and it's debilitating. Even something near league average and this team could probably have more rings for Rodgers.

Still, it ain't hard at all to be a Packer fan. It was in the days before Favre. :corsair:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

LabyaMynora posted:

Exactly how I feel. A league average defense and the Packers at least get another trip to the Super Bowl or two.

I have to assume the Front Office and Fat Mike are assuming it's the players' fault and not Capers and his coaching staff due to the success of 2010, but that makes no sense when someone like Casey Hayward goes from "just-a-guy" to Pro Bowl a year after leaving your team.

In retrospect, it seems more like the success of 2010 is due to guys like Charles Woodson (an all-time great) and Nick Collins covering up for Dom's deficiencies. Yeah, Dom will do great when you have a CB who was so good he won the loving Heisman, etc., but take away THAT and the Jenga tower falls apart.

It wasn't just those two either. Clay, Raji, Tramon Williams and Cullen Jenkins had an incredible year, Sam Shields was a rookie but he caught on as the season went on. After seven years of evidence has piled up, it truly feels like that defense was more about incredible individual performances than Dom Capers.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Packers were also very close to not even making the playoffs that year.

Yeah, but that year offense was more the problem than defense, as bizarre as that sounds. Rodgers was out with the concussion, and we scored like, exactly one (1) field goal against the Lions and lost 7-3. Hell, he was perfectly healthy when we scored exactly 9 points against the Jets. But the defense didn't give up anything, so it didn't matter. During the 2010 season the Packers were never down by more than 7 points. Hell, Matt loving Flynn would have beaten the Patriots in Foxboro if it wasn't for a 71 yard kick return by a goddamn backup offensive guard. That poo poo still boggles my goddamn mind.

e: Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcooDMRRD8 I mean, what the gently caress? Even Al and Chris were laughing their asses off in the booth.

The *really bad* part though, was the two straight overtime losses against the Redskins/Dolphins and that loving screwjob in Atlanta when Tony G was given a catch that absolutely wasn't. After that horse poo poo game I was absolutely ecstatic when the Packers went back and shithoused the Falcons in the playoffs.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 19, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

sponges posted:

Maybe poo poo like this is why we hate Packer fans:

“Durr I’d rather the world end in nuclear disaster with millions of deaths then the Vikings win a Super Bowl!”

Yes, that post was totally 100% serious and I really want you ALL TO DIE.

...seriously, my dude... was my silly hyperbole that lost on you?

poo poo, I'll probably be rooting for the Vikings in the playoffs.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I talk tons of poo poo during the season but now that the Pack will be watching from home,

Let's go the loving Vikings. NFC North Supremacy. Don't let me down in the playoffs.

E: you may be the only team left now that can prevent the disaster of yet another Patriots/Steelers super bowl win. I may hate you for 16 or 17 weeks a year but right now you can prevent the darkest timeline. Do it.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Dude even if you loving hate the Vikings like I do, wouldn't you rather see them pull off their first super bowl than see the pats or Steelers get their zillionth?

gently caress, paint me purple and put horns on my head. And wings on my back. Neither the Eagles nor the Vikings have ever won a super bowl. Lack of Wentz has scared me away from the Eagles. I think the Vikings or maaaaaaaaaybe the Rams are our best shot right now.

But you know what I really want? JAGS ALL DAY ERRYDAY BITCH

Seriously. I'm rooting for the Jaguars so hard it hurts. This may be a serious condition that requires medical attention.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 24, 2017

• Locked thread