Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

fishing with the fam posted:

Shea McClellin won a ring. That bothers me more than it reasonably should.

I would argue that you are not nearly upset enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

Its mostly been a thing this year, cropped up once the quitter bullshit was eventually put to rest.

The quitter bullshit was put to rest? I must've missed that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

Maybe I've been tuned out from how much the team blew, but I didn't hear it as much the past couple years.

If you talk to Bears fans in real life during football season, they are still clinically retarded.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

I still can't believe the Bears are going to punt the best quarterback they've ever had out the door (especially when he has no guaranteed money left) just because Pace and Fox are sick of hearing Joe from Naperville rip into them on talk radio and desperately trying to save their jobs.

They are punting him because Fox hates him. I'm not sure Pace feels the same way, but I suspect that Pace is going to give Fox Hoyer and enough rope to hang himself.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Abugadu posted:

To be fair, they're not in a position to win right now, and Cutler isn't going to make a difference in that with the time in his career remaining. If you're going to rebuild, bite the bullet and rebuild. Give some younger guy a chance to improve or prove himself.

I'm not sure this is true. The defense is poised to improve and they are letting their top flight WR go. They are cutting a QB they know can start, even though they have some offensive weapons. I think John Fox is a bad coach and a fraud. He wants to get rid of good players if they are not robots, because he is too big a baby to deal with opinions.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Athanatos posted:

You make a change and get 2 years of "They just need time to grow with the team and learn the system." Free pass.

Pace is safe, I think. He's had to rebuild a dumpster fire of a roster and shown improvement. Fox is the one who has to go at least .500 to save his job. And the man wants Hoyer as his quarterback, so I don't like his chances.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Emanuel Collective posted:

The Bears 2016 draft class also looks like it might be really good. Please don't ask about 2015 though

I mean, Goldman looks pretty good too. Langford has contributed. It sucks that White broke his leg and Grasu got hurt, but I would still give them both another year before writing them off completely.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

I'm still not sure Pace has really hit on all that many picks, its just that there's a lot of new starters because they were starting over from scratch after a decade of horrific GMing.

I think if is safe to say that he has produced four legitimate starters in the NFL at this point in Goldman, Floyd, Whitehair and Howard.

I guess poo poo can still happen with them, but all of those players have shown they can play in the NFL.

It's really a question of if the above players can reach the next level and a few more starters/role players start establishing themselves over the next couple years.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Floyd could easily turn into a turd just like Fuller did, especially with the weird injury issues he's already had. Goldman is just a guy, the other two are pleasant surprises but are re-drafts of guys the year prior (Grasu, that bad rb from MSU)

The important thing is to stay angry at the bears forever

Goldman was showing more than being just a guy, although being hurt all last year, so who knows. Whitehair wasn't drafted to be a center, injuries and the one dude retiring thrust him into that role. And Langford is fine as a third down back. Just expecting him to be Forte was dumb.

Being angry at sports is dumb if you do it all the time. I save my anger for special occasions, like Trestman"s second season. Otherwise, my rage is devalued.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

my favorite thing is deciding which lovely bears quarterback glennon is going to be like. getting a jonathan quinn vibe from him.

e: Cade NeckNown

If you don't see Chad Hutchinson, you ain't been paying attention

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Reports are the Glennon deal will average 14.5 mil over 3 years. Jesus Christ

All that matters is guaranteed money. If he gets paid Brock money, I will be pissed. Otherwise, wait and see.

And apparently Stephon Gilmore was "disappointed" with the Bears offer. This is absurd.

Where did you hear that? And looking at what the Pats offered, any offer would be disappointing.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Bears plan:
Prepare to lose Alshon and Cutler. Sign Glennon to basically what Cutler makes, instead of keeping Hoyer. Then don't spend any money, so that they can keep Cutler on the roster until September before finally cutting him, in a hope that he won't get a starting job elsewhere and make the organization look bad if he were to play well elsewhere

I don't think they can wait that long. His contact becomes guaranteed at some point, doesn't it?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Man, where is defiantgiant when you need him. That guy always had a reasonable approach. You guys are all doom and gloom and I just don't see how you can be down on the front office after the past two offseasons. It is arguably the strongest consecutive offseasons in the past 15 years. (Damning with the faintest of praise )

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

they had the second worst season in franchise history of close to 100 years and in response fired no one and got rid of the best qb in history then replaced him with a guy who's worse and makes a tiny bit less

once Fangio is gone it's all over

Firing people every other year is how you become the Browns or 49ers. Fox was never getting fired after two years, so this is a make or break year for him. They were in full rebuild and between Pace's first and second year, purged a lot of the veterans for youth.It sucks, but when you have no talent at the start, it's hard to build a competitive roster.

GNU Order posted:

Mike Glennon is a head scratcher but it's more despair over a decade's worth of chickens coming home to roost. The Bears are now arguably the most talent-poor roster in the NFL and good returns on one or two drafts is optimistic but isn't going to keep me from having to watch some really lovely football for the foreseeable future

This is just silly. The 49ers and Browns are unquestionably worse. And there is not much you can do to avoid lovely Bears football over the next couple years, one way or the other. You just have to hope they are able to build from the ground up, so when it gets good, it stays good.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think it is a calculated gamble while hedging with a mid round draft pick. What other options at QB did they have, knowing that Cutler is gone? I think they are hoping the unknown commodity pays off and if not, they will develop someone or maybe be more aggressive next year when Garrapolo / Cousins hit FA and have a stronger draft class to work with.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I hope he can come back. He was so good.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I changed my mind. gently caress the Bears. Bye Alshon. :(

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

You forgot Markus Wheaton!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Shangri-Law School posted:

The Bears signed Dion Sims for as much money as the Packers signed Bennett. Abolish the Bears.

This poo poo infuriates me and makes me hate John Fox even more.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Deki posted:

Would Bennett have really been on the table for you guys at near that price though? Green bay is more likely to get him another ring and he wasn't really happy with the Bears when he left. I mean I'm shocked we got him for cheaper than Cook.

Maybe if we didn't trade him in the first place for having a personality that in no way impacted his play of the field, we could have.

I mean, 3 years, $18.5 million is not that much more than 3 years, $18 million. I mean, would you pay half a million dollars to switch Dion Sims for Martellus Bennett?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

CharlestheHammer posted:

It will be Trevor Sieman after hardened by years of experience.

The man doesn't have it hard enough being a Bears fan? Do you also kick puppies?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

AsInHowe posted:

A fundraiser for Trump and his campaign then, even worse

:golfclap:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I have to admit that this pisses me right off. He better have no guaranteed money and be a camp body.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

I would rather have Sanchez start, our passing game might as well be funny while its impotent. Kinda like why Barkley was more fun to watch than Hoyer.

I kind of do also, but only because I want Fox fired.

schweens posted:

Bears should have just kept Cutler and Hoyer

They really shouldn't have. The problem is that there was no way to improve after they got rid of them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Bears should have jumped on Tyrod Taylor instead of overbidding for Mike Glennon.

I'm not a big fan of Tyrod. I think they are in a good position to grab a QB next year, which is a better time to get one.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Scipiotik posted:

In a perfect world maybe, but what are the odds Pace and Fox will be around if they tank hard enough to get one of the top QBs next year?

The Bears tend to be fairly patient. The Emery/Trestman stuff was the fastest they have given someone the hook and that was because it was a major embarrassment to the entire organization.

Pace will get another coach, unless he really fucks up from a public relations standpoint, which I don't see happening.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

(God, forgive me for what I have done.)

Can you replace the baseball with his head and vice versa?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm content

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

I'm all in on Watson.

So it is most assuredly the wrong decision.

But a different wrong decision than the Bears front office will make.

I am too. He has the physical tools and he's known for his work ethic and character. People who talk to him just seem to love him. I honestly get the concerns, but he's the kind of guy who could fail, but it won't be for lack of effort on his part. That poo poo matters.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

this draft pick was solely about saving pace's job

I don't think that's how job saving works.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

he can't be fired until trubisky inevitably flames out-- bought himself a few years because the bears are going to win like 3 games next year

I meant to say drafting garbage players doesn't get you contract extensions.

(I don't actually hate Trubisky. I just hate trading up for him. )

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

trying to save his job because next year is spent developing Mitch so you gotta give even more time than that

I don't know why people think Pace is in danger. Fox is the guy who is in win now mode. The Bears are a very patient organization traditionally.

They only fired Emery and Trestman because they were an embarrassment. GMs generally get two coaches. Especially when they have to completely gut a roster.

Don't get me wrong, I am really disappointed in the pick, but you can't tell me this roster isn't significantly better than it was two years ago.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Not just Mariota. Last year, the Bears were supposedly high on Wentz. Someone also said last night that Jacksonville was looking at trading up. We know Cleveland was interested in trading up for Trubisky and were actually considering trading up.

Now that I have had a night to sleep on it, I am not as annoyed. He wasn't my favorite, but I only watched a little tape of him. I've already said I like this QB class better than last years, and judging by the first round we just had, so did a lot of the NFL.

I absolutely hate trading up, but I think there is a good chance the Bears trade down from two to get more picks tiday. And considering that this draft is supposed to be stacked on defense, maybe losing a third, but gaining an extra fourth this year by trading down will net the same level of quality.

I also don't think the Bears believe they need as many players as their fan base does. They invested a lot of draft capital last year on defense. They probably expect a lot of that to yield a return this year.

If they get Cam or Lamp in the second, I will end up feeling a lot better.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

xbilkis posted:

Based on what I've seen of him in interviews, Mitch has the potential to be endearingly stupid or maddeningly stupid

Let's hope we've got ourselves an Eli

Ugh, I hope he's better than Eli.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think the jury's still out on Trubisky as a quarterback but the jury is definitely not out on the trade being very very funny and Trubisky being a Packers and tittiess fan.

I can't see Fox lasting past this season. Do you think Pace has his eye on some young offensive coordinator who will be able to coach up Trubisky?

Dowell Loggins isn't sexy enough for you? :v:

I also don't think the Bears are that far away from being competitive. They have completely churned over the defensive roster with young, talented guys. The secondary will still have a bunch of second year players, of which hopefully a couple will be starter quality.

On offense, they have invested in RB, OL and WR. The problem is they don't have a QB (or a TE). Also, they really need to upgrade LT.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Isn't it nice to know that the top two players in the future of the Chicago Bears are massive loving cowards who can't even stand beside their tweets?

If Trubinsky has renounced his love of titties, so help me..... :argh:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

VJeff posted:

imo a love of kissing titties is a great quality to have in your QB.

Anyway, it sounds like all told, the Lions have picked up a couple LBs, a TE and a WR?

Good stuff.

Counterpoint: Aaron Rodgers. :smug:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

They spelled Trubinsky wrong in the thread title.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dreams come true, guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005