Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

BGrifter posted:

Did he make him promise to stop being a Packers fan yet?

Nope, Grandma's car took priority. Don't want to overwhelm him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

(God, forgive me for what I have done.)

Can someone do me a solid and set this up so I can make it my avatar? I'm sick of this dumb red title and this looks like the perfect successor to diabetic Jay.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

We are all going to be amazed at how well he is able to survey the field.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

I should never have done that Photoshop.

You are doing the Lord's work. In testimony to it's greatness, all my fantasy teams are named The Glennophant Man with that picture.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

That was one of the most ridiculous things, because contracts had already been signed. Instead of them being honored, Walker and Kleefisch basically said "lol no" to the rail fleet manufacturers.

Is there a state in the union with a functional, competent government?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

iospace posted:

Closest to one? California.

So no. Got it

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

I was at the gym and I saw a dude with a pair of packers shorts so I offered to spot him and when he brought the weight down I slammed it on his throat until he suffocated to death.

#PostinFromPrison

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

AsInHowe posted:

Downtown Detroit is coming back, attached is a video of the master plan.

https://youtu.be/ZDOI0cq6GZM

Best episode ever

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

if you think about it, surrounding your mysterious quarterback phenom with the likes of mark sanchez and mike giraffe will make him look amazing by comparison, a brilliant move by ryan pace

Only if they suck more than Trubisky. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

This is what I hated about dumping Cutler. The Bears are now in a situation where Mark Sanchez could easily be the best QB on their roster.

Sometimes, before you can rebuild, you have to tear everything down first. Then burn what might remain and salt the earth.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

I thought 2014 and 2016 were this thing. We had Matt Barkley as our top QB.

Barkley started by default of everyone dying. Mitch will start because Bears fans need to be reminded of what quarterbacks were like before Cutler.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

Mitch may not be terrible, but I know Glennon will bring us back to the impotence of 2007, minus that one Griese comeback against the Eagles.

Glennon's touchdown to completion ratio as a rookie has me hoping for the second coming of the Sex Cannon.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

he looks like a stretched out Dewey from malcom in the middle

Man, I love that episode.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fishing with the fam posted:

Congrats Timby. You have released that scourge upon a much large audience today.

I've already unleashed it on all my friends. My fantasy football teams are The Glennophant Man.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The best part about that is they convinced Marinelli not to quit even though they fired his best friend in the world. They told the coaches that they would have to keep Marinelli if they are hired. Emery then has Marinelli interview his future bosses and rank them. Marinelli picks Ariens as the top candidate, then Darrell Bevell second. And a distant third is Marc Trestman. Emery hires Trestman and Marinelli walks because he knows it's a shitshow.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Let it be known I supported keeping Jay Cutler. At least for one more year.

I've wasted too many years defending him. It'd be nice if he justifies my faith in him.

GeneX posted:

I'm not certain exactly what the right move was re: Cutler, but signing a giraffe and drafting Mitchell "tittiess" Trubi(n)sky were not it

I hope his shot with the Dolphins works out, since he's the only one in his family that gets those

Moving on was the right move. Even though I think he was shafted for most of his time here, there's no denying that his time was done. Whether the Glennophant Man and Titties Trubisky were the right moves is another question altogether.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Please tell me he looked over at Mark Sanchez as he said that.

Please.

Mark Sanchez whispering in his ear. He is already paying dividends as a mentor.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

John Fox makes me mad

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Wilford Cutlery posted:

They've also been using extra TEs to block.

I have real misgivings about throwing the kid out there already. This situation is the reason we have Sanchez, might as well use him.

I don't hold to the theory that you can ruin a kid by putting him our early, except in extreme circumstances like Carr in Houston. Glennon does not navigate the pocket well and the only way Trubisky is going get better is with game reps. We are playing for next year, so he might as well start.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Mitch, the only good QB in the division, is going to lead the bears to the playoffs with a 6-10 record

I still can't believe they won against the Raven's. How does Barth not shank the game winning field goal? Isn't that why we hired him in the first place?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

The team just keeps giving a poo poo despite Fox's best efforts.

I don't mind a couple wins here and there, so long as Fox is fired at the end of this season.

I gotta admit, I think I like Loggins. He might actually be a good OC.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Between Johnny Knox and Zach Miller the Bears seem like a good team to not watch if you don't want to see horrific injuries.

Avoiding their games is a good way to avoid any long term emotional damage also.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Why hasn't John Fox been fired? Like, after that challenge played out, he should have just been immediately fired.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

Given that this is the John Fox Bears I'm not confident those were guaranteed points.

You don't trust the Trub?

Dexo posted:

you say that until close games are cited as a reason John Fox should stay for "continuity reasons"

Nobody has lost as many close games as John Fox. That's why he's such a good coach.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

I could see two straight runs stuffed for -1 or -2 yards, a sack for Trub on third down and Barth missing the FG.

So you're saying you've seen the Bears offense.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

fam do you know how little talent the Bears had on defense until recently.

Phil Emery torched this loving defense.

He torched the team. That is why I don't get the people who think Pace is the problem. Let's compare what the team looked like before he arrived to now.

2014 Chicago Bears
QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Matt Forte, Ka'Deem Carey
WR: Alshon Jeffery
WR: Brandon Marshall
TE: Martellus Bennett
LT: Jermom Bushrod
LG: Ryan Groy
C: Roberto Garza
RG: Kyle Long
LT: Jordan Mills

DE: Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston, Willie Young
DT: Stephan Paea, Jay Ratliff
LB: Jonathan Bostic, Shea McClellin, Lance Briggs, DJ Williams
CB: Kyle Fuller, Tim Jennings
S: Chris Conte, Ryan Mundy

2017 Chicago Bears
QB: Mitch Trubisky
RB: Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen
WR: Cameron Meridith, Kevin White, lol
TE: Adam Shaheen, Zach Miller
LT: Jared Leno, Jr
LG: Josh Sitting
C: Cody White hair
RG: Kyle Long
RT: Bobbie Massie

DE: Akiem Hicks, Mitch Unrein
NT: Eddie Goldman
LB: Leonard Floyd, Danny Trevathian, Jerrell Freeman, Willie Young,
CB: Kyle Fuller, Prince Amukamura
S: Eddie Jackson, Adrian Amos

The offense definitely was downgraded at wide receiver and tight end under Pace's watch, and Bennett being traded is all on Fox according to all reports.

Every other position is significantly better. As frustrating as Massie and Leno are, compared to Mills/Bushrod, they are better. Our running back situation has gotten younger. And every spot on the defense and interior line is better and deeper.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Guys, I just broke up with my girlfriend because I know there are way hotter girls out there. No, I haven't looked. Why would I do that?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

Pace paid Sitton, Hicks, and Amukamara. Not saying they are bad signings but they are older players the Bears have relied on to at least be competitive.

Still not sure what to think of his drafting. It's not terrible but he's not really getting the impact players a team needs. And for a team that is rebuilding, he's sure trading away a shitton of picks they could use for young talent.

I just think it all needs to be blown up. The organization is cancerous from the top to the bottom. They need someone who knows football in charge of everything and lock the McCaskeys in their owners suite.

He has drafted Whitehair, Cohen, Howard, Shaheen and Trubisky. While it is too early to say for sure, all of them have shown signs of being impact players at their position.

It took three years just to get the roster to the point that it is now, which is markedly improved. And you want to start over, rather than give the GM a chance to actually see if he can develop the talent he had acquired. Why are you determined to turn us into the Cleveland Browns?

Because blowing everything up every couple of years is how you end up being the Cleveland Browns.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

I don't give him a ton of credit on drafting, because he drafted the same positions over and over to get serviceable starters 1 out of 2 or 3 times (grasu/whitehair, langford/howard/jordan, etc) and still shows absolutely zero ability to draft the most important nonqb thing in the modern nfl - WRs

but yeah there's no actual hope in the franchise because of the mccaskeys so gently caress it.

So does every team in the NFL. Do you think they just want one of every position? Also, your sample size for his ability to draft wide receiver is one, who never had a chance to develop because of injuries. Also, not sure they could have anticipated those injuries when he had no prior history of it.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say he doesn't draft talent, then when it is pointed out that he has, cone back with "yeah, but why didn't he get it right the first time.". The draft is a crapshoot.

Since he has taken over, the team has gotten better and younger from a talent standpoint. And you need three years to be able to properly analyze player development. That means the earliest we can reasonably start judging Pace on his drafts is year five.

mastershakeman posted:

yeah but he also got sitton and long and so that's 4 guys for 3 spots

i get that you need depth but i dont want to hype up drafting too much when you keep drafting interior linemen over and over while starting lovely tackles

They value guards more than tackles. Some teams do. But you can't just say "why didn't they draft a tackle" without context. Because the last couple of years have been terrible for tackles in the draft. What tackles did the Bears pass on in the draft?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Leno was drafted in the 7th and is a perfectly average left tackle.

Wasn't he drafted by Emery?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

I don't know what you are seeing in Trubisky to be excited about. At best you can argue the roster is so bad you can't grade him yet. But he's shown practically nothing as a starter.

Shaheen had the one nice game and has been non-existent since. Can't even beat out a guy the Browns cut for playing time.

Whitehair is also not good. Not sure how you could label him an impact player.

I'd rather be in the Browns position than the Bears. The Browns have a terrible roster but at least have what looks like a complete stud to build their defense around and a boatload of picks in the upcoming draft (including two in the top-10).

I said they have shown signs, I didn't say they were all-pro's. Each of those guys I listed is either a rookie or second year player. I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make. Are you upset that the Bears aren't churning out multiple all-pro players right out of every draft? Do you think maybe the problem might be your expectations are unrealistic.

Shaheen has barely done anything, but you can see in the way he moves that he has the potential to be a serious mismatch in size and speed. Does that mean he will get there? No. But you shouldn't grow inpatient because the small school guy isn't amazing out of the gate.

Trubisky is the one guy I have the least amount of confidence in, but he has shown signs of being able to do good things on a football field. He has made a nice throw here and there and the occasional scramble. I'm not sure what you expect to see from a rookie with no skill position talent around him.

I find it interesting that you hate Whitehair the most, since last season the guy actually played at an all-pro level. To imply he hasn't shown potential is disingenuous.

The idea that the Browns are closer is laughable. Their one stud player that is a cornerstone, and the rest of that roster is a trainwreck. They actually have a decent coach in place and can't win a game. We have a team being visibly hamstrung by poor coaching and have squeezed out some wins.

I just see no benefit to firing Pace. We aren't going to bring in a major upgrade and we pretty much stunt the development of the roster we have built, because new GMs tend to want their own guys. Hell, the Bears can't wait to get rid of Fuller, despite him playing like one of the better corners in football this season.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

Of course they have potential. They had potential coming out of college.

And I don't think expectations are unrealistic. They traded a bunch of picks to move up one spot in the draft to get Trubisky. Expectations should be sky high because those picks are valuable for a rebuilding team. And I'm not expecting Shaheen to be an all-pro, just good enough to beat out Daniel Brown on the depth chart.

Whitehair might have been good last year but he hasn't been good this year. Now maybe that's the Bears loving around with his position too much. But he's not good right now.

The Browns roster is worse than the Bears but they have more young talent on it and 8 more picks in the upcoming draft (including 2 picks in the top-10).

You're right that there is probably no benefit to firing pace. Maybe he'll be able to get this team up to .500 in a few years. Probably beats having the McCaskey's hire another consultant to bring in some lame hire that'll just keep circling the drain.

To me, this is a coaching problem. Shaheen looks so much better on the field than Daniel Brown in limited reps. The fact that they keep putting Brown in instead of Shaheen makes me think they don't know what they are doing.

I get the frustration with Trubisky. I was a Watson guy, so it's hard to compare the two and not be mad. But most rookies don't light it up their rookie season, so it's hard for me to be upset about Trubisky. But he has a nice arm and I can see how he "could" be developed into something special. But not with what he has to work with in a coaching or personnel standpoint.

And the problem with the Browns is that, even with all those draft picks, they don't know what they are doing. I was all on board with moneyball for football, but they don't know how to make football-based evaluations. The reports about the disconnect between coaching and front office over there are troubling. If that is really what you want, have fun. :v:

I can't wait to delve into some front office off-season evaluations this season. I don't think anyone does it and I'm fascinated to see how it turns out.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

rabidsquid posted:

did the guy making you read deadspin die or something

Lol

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

PupsOfWar posted:

Watching Hester the first couple of years he played, it felt like he got a big return pretty much whenever he wanted.

I can easily believe he would be retiring with a couple of dozen punt return touchdowns alone if everyone hadn't realized midway through his rookie year "wait, do not kick anywhere near this motherfucker if it is humanly possible to avoid doing so!"

plenty of skill players in the Hall who didn't impact games as much as he did in his prime, imo

If they change the rules of a game because you are too good at the game, you should be in the Hall of Fame.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Liking basketball way too much is the new being way too into the Wu-Tang Clan. Like please, try more to be hip.

Basketball ain't nothin to gently caress with.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fishing with the fam posted:

Mitch gonna suck tomorrow. This feels like a down game for the Bears. I feel it in my bones.

All you have to ask yourself is how many back to back wins have the Bears gotten in the John Fox era. There's your answer.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Soothing Vapors posted:

thank you for calling forums poster Fenrir out on that gravely serious post. shameful that a Packers fan would choose to immolate the world in a nuclear holocaust rather than see a team of men in purple spandex win a bad and dumb game. I disavow him

Your avatar just makes this post a million times better.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

GeneX posted:

Don't you put that goddamn evil on them

He is not putting that evil on them. He just understands that the biggest meatball fans in Chicago are the owners. If you are a Bears fan and don't secretly fear that the Bears are dumb enough to do this, you do not understand who runs this team.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Speleothing posted:

I got a Deandre Levy jersey in the spring when they were cheap.

Someone is becoming a savvy investor. :zoid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

How are the Bears this dumb. Why can't Pace just say he makes the head coaching decision?

• Locked thread