Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:tastykake: Welcome to Philadelphia, the best city in the United States of America :tastykake:

There are many reasons as to why Philadelphia is the best city in the United States of America. Did you know that it's the only city in the U.S. to receive a World Heritage City designation? Not even its neighbor New York has one.

Let's just get the best reason out of the way:

Benjamin Motherfucking Franklin

The man personifies the history of Philadelphia. Worked in printing and later pioneered electricity, never mind being one of the founding fathers of this wonderful nation.

Look at this piece of artwork. Don't you wish you were depicted in art like this, surrounded by angels?

He's also on the $100 bill which is commonly referred to as Benjamins. Andrew Jackson ain't got poo poo on this man.

We also have Tastykake. It's so good that we have an emoji for it.

If you haven't had any of them, well then I feel bad for you son

Philly sports teams get a bad rap, but do you hate Putin and Russia? Well let's reminisce about when the Philadelphia Flyers beat the poo poo out of the USSR "Red Army" hockey team so bigly that they gave up and left the ice like little babies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE72Unn_E1A

The fans are passionate as heck and that Santa Claus was some drunk skinny dude who was being obnoxious so he deserved it.

Do you like food? Well hoo boy do we have food for you at the Reading Terminal Market

This place owns and that's all I'm gonna say

Check out the 30th Street Station, it's art deco as heck and I'm sure Diamond Joe has probably made a few stops here:

And I don't eat them much admittedly, but cheesesteaks do still in fact own:

Philly's restaurant scene is amazing and there are a ton of BYOB restaurants.

I can keep going on and on but basically Philly owns. Post about how much Philly owns ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
gently caress no, op

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
WRONG

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W4fTLmeIIuQ

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The OP has clearly missed addressing their mascot, the Goofball

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

rating 1. thought this was the bill burr standup thing

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Weeping Wound posted:

The Phanatic is literally the best mascot on earth

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

philly's alright

ben franklin can suck my goddamn rear end though

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been living here for a year and half and it does indeed own. Wife and I are trying to figure out if we can stick around long-term

Not sure if I've had a Tastykake though

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i like cheesesteaks and its pretty cheap to live there

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

triple sulk posted:

The Phanatic is literally the best mascot on earth

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Philly and their sports fans are so poo poo they're internationally famous for how poo poo they are.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm gonna start reading the OP right now and see how many sentences it takes before bringing up New York (the better city).

e: 4 sentences is still longer than average for how long one can talk about philly before bringing up another, better city so kudos

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i think cspam has more philly posters than any reasonable proportional poo poo would allow

if you like cspam you would like philadelphia

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
gently caress I-76 though, I haven't seen jack poo poo of any of the suburbs because I refuse to drive on that nightmare unless I have no other choice

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
always sunny is pretty good

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

yafh is one of my favorite underappreciated posters and also a philly person

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Squizzle posted:

i think cspam has more philly posters than any reasonable proportional poo poo would allow

if you like cspam you would like philadelphia

working class city

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This thread is bordering on Jastiger level of bad opinion.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Been living here for a year and half and it does indeed own. Wife and I are trying to figure out if we can stick around long-term

Not sure if I've had a Tastykake though

get the butterscotch krimpets

youll find them at literally any wawa so just go get some today

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Why was this not in the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnkDjMVJqE

Thank you Philly for creating a breakout moment for BIll Burr

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

philly will become the capital of the new republic once the revolution is over

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mishaq posted:

philly will become the capital of the new republic once the revolution is over

please keep nation capital level politics out of philly,moving forward

put the new capital in boston or something

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
Counterpoint: some robot was hitching to my city and it got trashed in Philly.

Counter-counterpoint: it is the city of brotherly love.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Did you know Pennsylvania was originally going to just be Sylvania but then they put Penn's name on the front against his express wishes?

Well, now you do. Thanks!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
In retrospect, it would have been funniest if it had been called Cisylvania.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Fun fact: if William Penn's associated had named it "Castlevania", nintendo would have had to have paid big bucks to use the name - worth thinking about

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

jBrereton posted:

Did you know Pennsylvania was originally going to just be Sylvania but then they put Penn's name on the front against his express wishes?

Well, now you do. Thanks!

It was also meant as the weirdest gently caress you, the Penn it was named for was his royalist dad, it's like "I'm going to name it after your family so you know I think you, personally, are a dishonor on your dad"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

they were so bad at dunking on people in olden tymes

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

did you know that dr strange—renowned brain sliceman, wizard, and international film cumberbatch—was born in philadrlphia, castlevania???

its true!!!!!!?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd2Hn-IeWEA

never been, have only seen the Walt Whitman bridge from afar across the way in dirty South Jersey

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Hello felllow philly jawns plz ignore the haters in this thread who are probably nazi twitter trolls

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Weeping Wound posted:

the philly phanatic epitomizes the very essence of a mascot. it is the mascot in its purest form. a seussian embodiment of what it means to be a sports fan.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Hodgepodge posted:

Counterpoint: some robot was hitching to my city and it got trashed in Philly.

Counter-counterpoint: it is the city of brotherly love.

gently caress that garbage robot, we just put it where it belongs. ashes to ashes, trash to trash.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Its New York City op

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

rear end cobra posted:

Its New York City op

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

if i can split rhetorical hairs id say that new york is the greatest city but not the best city

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best Giraffe posted:

gently caress that garbage robot, we just put it where it belongs. ashes to ashes, trash to trash.

it wasn't even wearing a Nationals hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Philly is one of the few cities in the world that I am ok with.

• Locked thread