Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Remember when their police literally bombed some activists lol what a time the eighties were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

last week i was driving downtown and heard some cop yell on a megaphone "THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T PARK ON THE CORNER!" before continuing on in his car, yelling at other people

i think he had just gotten it, or maybe it was some training day thing and he was high on pcp

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The old Eagles stadium had a on-site court and jailhouse.

Whiskerando
Mar 13, 2011

How about that beer scene, OP?

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Philly and their sports fans are so poo poo they're internationally famous for how poo poo they are.

We have to stop being total pussies around here and own up to this. Philly sports fans should be villainous.

Hub Dirt has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Jan 22, 2017

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hub Dirt posted:

We have to stop being total pussies around and own up to this. Philly sports fans should be villainous.

the phillies should have events like free claw hammer night, tuneless brass trumpet night, unlimited beer night, and something where during the 7th inning stretch a realistic effigy of the opposing teams pitcher is brought into the field and burned while recorded screaming and pleas for mercy play over the speakers

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was walking my dog through Old City Fest last year and we saw the Phanatic. My dog does not like the Phanatic one bit.

Whiskerando posted:

How about that beer scene, OP?

It's dece but only rubes and desperate fools buy their beer in Philly. Go the Jersey or Delaware if you want liquor.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Squizzle posted:

get the butterscotch krimpets

youll find them at literally any wawa so just go get some today

in grade school before we opened the butterscotch krimpet pack we'd rub it on the cafeteria table butterscotch side down because the rumor was if you did that the butterscotch stuff wouldn't stick to the package.

i admit to this day whenever i have some i rub it on the table first.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

triple sulk posted:

We also have Tastykake. It's so good that we have an emoji for it.

If you haven't had any of them, well then I feel bad for you son

Philly sports teams get a bad rap, but do you hate Putin and Russia? Well let's reminisce about when the Philadelphia Flyers beat the poo poo out of the USSR "Red Army" hockey team so bigly that they gave up and left the ice like little babies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE72Unn_E1A

The fans are passionate as heck and that Santa Claus was some drunk skinny dude who was being obnoxious so he deserved it.
does the Flyers announcer still reference Tastykakes when they score? i always liked that it even though it's product placement

philly fans are indefensibly bad, though, and probably worse than boston fans. you can't get worse than throwing bracelets commemorating the recently-deceased owner because the Flyers were getting the poo poo kicked out of them

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

does the Flyers announcer still reference Tastykakes when they score? i always liked that it even though it's product placement

philly fans are indefensibly bad, though, and probably worse than boston fans. you can't get worse than throwing bracelets commemorating the recently-deceased owner because the Flyers were getting the poo poo kicked out of them

given how bad the Blackhawks previous owner was, throwing bracelets is the least anyone can do

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It was funny since the Flyers get a penalty for the bad behavior of the fans during this incident.

Philly has has much lower rent prices with even downtown area apartments being lower than NYC manhattan prices.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7S15xezvivneVd5Zk5CY2dvT00/view

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

etalian posted:

It was funny since the Flyers get a penalty for the bad behavior of the fans during this incident.

Philly has has much lower rent prices with even downtown area apartments being lower than NYC manhattan prices.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7S15xezvivneVd5Zk5CY2dvT00/view

also has one of tge best restaurant scense in the country because its super close to new york (close enough to commute between them) but w cheaper leases

so all these chefa keep goijg hmm opebing a restaurant in ny is way tough but opening one a train ride away is shockingly affordable

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I was interviewing for a job in Philly in December but they've been ghosting me since the new year and I'm kinda bummed. I really wanted in on the cheap NBA tickets. Oh, and the crack market that the police just gave up enforcing possession and minor dealing laws at. That sounds great.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Accent is more bearable than North Jersey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKpQRgMRAf4

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Philly's like an hour and a half away from me which rules cause the food, museum and nightlife scene are insanely good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

he does. jim jackson owns and also sometimes does middle innings of phillies baseball

attackmole posted:

I was interviewing for a job in Philly in December but they've been ghosting me since the new year and I'm kinda bummed. I really wanted in on the cheap NBA tickets. Oh, and the crack market that the police just gave up enforcing possession and minor dealing laws at. That sounds great.

Joel Embiid is the GOAT

Aesop Poprock posted:

Philly's like an hour and a half away from me which rules cause the food, museum and nightlife scene are insanely good

:agreed:

Best Giraffe posted:

the philly phanatic epitomizes the very essence of a mascot. it is the mascot in its purest form. a seussian embodiment of what it means to be a sports fan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Also just about everything from rent to restaurant meals are much cheaper than NYC.

So cheaper price but you can still enjoy the same street fights/people yelling at each other in NE accents like in NYC

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

rear end cobra posted:

Its New York City op

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The midwest is so good a large majority of college grads leave it for coastal cities like DC or SF.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

OP, no mention of Wawa? For shame.

Yo, if any of youz guyz wants to meet me on Passyunk for some wooder ice, lemme know.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Who makes the best food in philly?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

philly literally has too much amazing food to declare anything 'best" w/o adding some parameters

its like asking who makes the best food in paris

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Squizzle posted:

philly literally has too much amazing food to declare anything 'best" w/o adding some parameters

its like asking who makes the best food in paris

best kosher deli

best pizza

best divebar

best ethnic food

best lunch sammich place

best local beer

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4fTLmeIIuQ

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

My Imaginary GF posted:

They're all over the place because people in Philly can do more than just pretend they invented the milanesa.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

holy poo poo lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

the philly restaurant scene is exploding so there's a lot of places but the best I've been to is a.kitchen in rittenhouse

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

My Imaginary GF posted:

best kosher deli

best pizza

best divebar

best ethnic food

best lunch sammich place

best local beer

For ethnic food I think I've eaten at a dozen places in Chinatown and haven't had a bad meal yet. Lunch sammich place is probably Campo's but they're a touch pricey. There's a number of really good beer bars here (Eulogy, Monk's) but if you wanted locally-brewed stuff then I think Yard's is really good.

Really though, my wife and I are continuously surprised at how many good places there are to eat around here, and the variety.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the canonical ethnic place is zahav but obv personal taste varies

but dont do a homework assignment for migf when he can look at yelp from w/e lamentable flyiver wasteland hes in more easily

Whiskerando
Mar 13, 2011

Wawa is my everything

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Philly rules, but the pizza is loving trash.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Dubplate Fire posted:

You can certainly get a good slice around here, but it's not a city known for pizza, for sure.

The answer as to where, is Lorenzo's on South Street (across the street from Dobb's/Pontiac/whatever it's called now), at 1:00 a.m., somewhat inebriated, eating it over a trashcan out on the street with thirty other people. If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand.

Count Freebasie has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Jan 23, 2017

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Dubplate Fire posted:

lmao @ how wrong this is

Count Freebasie posted:

The answer as to where, is Lorenzo's on South Street (across the street from Dobb's/Pontiac/whatever it's called now), at 1:00 a.m., somewhat inebriated, eating it over a trashcan out on the street with thirty other people. If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand.

:agreed:

the pizza in the philly area is great

also the best coffee roaster in america, la colombe, is based in philly

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Philly is cool and I like living here

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Count Freebasie posted:

You can certainly get a good slice around here, but it's not a city known for pizza, for sure.

Lorenzo's is trash compared to any pizza you can get from northern NJ or NY.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

philly is p cool because you can buy drugs there or go play warhams at the gws

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mishaq posted:

holy poo poo lol

the butthurt comments for the video own too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Squizzle posted:

the canonical ethnic place is zahav but obv personal taste varies

Oh yeah Zahav, you're like the third person to tell me I need to go there.

Or should I say (((Zahav))) it's Israeli food

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
sorry op, no city on the bad coast can be the best in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

triple sulk posted:

lmao @ how wrong this is