Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

sorry op, no city on the bad coast can be the best in america

i think which coast is superour is amatterof personal taste tbh but—

even your less preferred coast is bettwr thab the flyover wastes; and

philadelphia is a top tier east coast coty

(also it sthebestcity in the us)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Dubplate Fire posted:

Lorenzo's is trash compared to any pizza you can get from northern NJ or NY.

Lorenzo's is good.

Like I said, you can certainly get better pizza in NYC (I'm a New Yorker, originally, as is all of my family).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dubplate Fire posted:

Lmao if you can ingest the pizza made in Philadelphia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgCGlRzX9dk

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good pizza in philly doesn't sound too farfetched because of the italian population, but i've never heard of any great places there

silly mane
Nov 26, 2004
Seems like people know more or less what's up in philly, but I'm seeing some glaring omissions. Nomad Pizza is good, Pizza Brain is good, Rosario's is good, and my favorite is a little hidden gem near 17th and McKean called San Lorenzo. They do Al Pastor pizza. And their pizza mexicana is so good.

But the big one is Tacconelli's in Kensington. For a long time they only made a certain number of pizzas daily, and you had to call ahead a few hours to reserve your dough. It's not so restrictive anymore but that place is legendary.

Let's also not forget about all of the amazing Pho spots and Mexican spots (go to Taquería Los Gallos) in south philly, and the Ethiopian food in West Philly. There are a couple of great restaurants outside of the city limits around the 69th st terminal too (end of the market-frankford el line). Mostly Korean but also South American. And a lot more.

There are a million good bars, a lot of which are not famous. Fiume in west philly is really special.

And that's just the food aspect. Philly may be a lovely city but guess what, it is still better than every other US city by far. The art and music scene is authentic and thriving, and there is a good smattering of smart leftist weirdos all over the place. If you don't think philly is at least Good then you probably suck

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Philly's the loving poo poo, been here since I went to Drexel and haven't looked back.

It was a heavy influence for David Lynch and his early industrial apocalyptic works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_KHbU-BOLs

It brought us the delight that is Eraserhead.

Suck it other cities, we win.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

My Imaginary GF posted:

best kosher deli

best pizza

best divebar

best ethnic food

best lunch sammich place

best local beer

Best kosher deli - koch's deli

best pizza - Lorzeno's if you like NY style pizza, Santucci’s Original Square Pizza if you like Sicilian pizza, Pizza Brain for like neavou pizza. probably Garces Trading Post for the casserole that is chicago style not pizza

best divebar - too many. if you have a time machine, go back to the year 2012 and go to the Dolphin. Today? Oscar's in center city, probably.

best ethnic food - lol this is a truly retarded question

best lunch sammich place - koch's deli

best local beer - in Philly itself? Dock street brewery and Yards are tied for me. honorable mention to St. Benajmin brewery and Crime and Punishment for weird russian beers

best cheesesteak - used to be Delassandro's but their quality has gone downhill. now its Barry's Steaks just off on Ridge on Leverington, which amuses me because i've been going there for a decade and the owner really upped his game last year.

silly mane
Nov 26, 2004
koch's is fuckin unbelievable

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOb6p1m5lQg

philly accent reference point

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Who would even admit to being from noted red state shithole "Pennsylvania"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

rear end cobra posted:

Who would even admit to being from noted red state shithole "Pennsylvania"

You can always escape to the blue state paradise across the Delaware.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I have mixed feelings on Philly after spending many formative years there. Mostly it's insanely good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzKJCVJHcbk

s/o drexel peoplle + laphroaig who took me shooting once iirc

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Philadelphia would be much better if we could have it in a nicer state, like New York, or Maryland. Everything surrounding Philadelphia is an unimaginable hellhole filled with Extremely White People to the west, Extremely Orange "People" to the southeast, and Literal Toothless Hillbillies everywhere else. If Buffalo was where Philadelphia was, we would have burned that piece of poo poo to the ground already.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I have mixed feelings on Philly after spending many formative years there. Mostly it's insanely good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzKJCVJHcbk

s/o drexel peoplle + laphroaig who took me shooting once iirc

I think with Harry In Rio, right?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Laphroaig posted:

I think with Harry In Rio, right?

IDR very well, but there were like 4 or 5 people and we went to Pats afterwards

Whiskerando
Mar 13, 2011

Philly is a great place to go of you want to live in a punk house with 6 other anarchists. All my radical activist friends live there and it owns.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

silly mane posted:

Seems like people know more or less what's up in philly, but I'm seeing some glaring omissions. Nomad Pizza is good, Pizza Brain is good, Rosario's is good, and my favorite is a little hidden gem near 17th and McKean called San Lorenzo. They do Al Pastor pizza. And their pizza mexicana is so good.

But the big one is Tacconelli's in Kensington. For a long time they only made a certain number of pizzas daily, and you had to call ahead a few hours to reserve your dough. It's not so restrictive anymore but that place is legendary.

Let's also not forget about all of the amazing Pho spots and Mexican spots (go to Taquería Los Gallos) in south philly, and the Ethiopian food in West Philly. There are a couple of great restaurants outside of the city limits around the 69th st terminal too (end of the market-frankford el line). Mostly Korean but also South American. And a lot more.

There are a million good bars, a lot of which are not famous. Fiume in west philly is really special.

And that's just the food aspect. Philly may be a lovely city but guess what, it is still better than every other US city by far. The art and music scene is authentic and thriving, and there is a good smattering of smart leftist weirdos all over the place. If you don't think philly is at least Good then you probably suck

Like I said Philly loving rules, the pizza just sucks, The pho is top notch.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i don't know what pizza you guys are eating that's terrible. the good philly pizza is more or less similar to most of the dollar slices you'd get in ny. maybe ny is consistently thinner than some of the philly pizza is, but i'm not really getting the difference

if you are ever in philly go to pizzeria stella, it's good as heck

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

I will try it my friend

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

attackmole posted:

Oh, and the crack market that the police just gave up enforcing possession and minor dealing laws at. That sounds great.

wait is philly an irl hamsterdam now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

triple sulk posted:

i don't know what pizza you guys are eating that's terrible. the good philly pizza is more or less similar to most of the dollar slices you'd get in ny. maybe ny is consistently thinner than some of the philly pizza is, but i'm not really getting the difference

if you are ever in philly go to pizzeria stella, it's good as heck

lmao at the premise that city that has italians loudly yelling at each other would have bad pizza.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Rain seems like it will keep a damper on the protests a bit, but we'll see. I'll post some pictures of the crowd in Thomas Paine plaza later.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh2DwRkLIQE

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

etalian posted:

lmao at the premise that city that has italians loudly yelling at each other would have bad pizza.

says a guy who dont know poo poo about pizza!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

R. Guyovich posted:

wait is philly an irl hamsterdam now

No the cops here just don't give a gently caress about anything

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Phily cops own

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Pic dump from protests >

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I love philly and I've been thinking about moving there long term

It's either philly or the west coast

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Scent of Worf posted:

the choice is easy, friend

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Scent of Worf posted:

philly is great hth

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/mindyisser/status/824674281930031106

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Laphroaig posted:

Best kosher deli - koch's deli

best pizza - Lorzeno's if you like NY style pizza, Santucci’s Original Square Pizza if you like Sicilian pizza, Pizza Brain for like neavou pizza. probably Garces Trading Post for the casserole that is chicago style not pizza

best divebar - too many. if you have a time machine, go back to the year 2012 and go to the Dolphin. Today? Oscar's in center city, probably.

best ethnic food - lol this is a truly retarded question

best lunch sammich place - koch's deli

best local beer - in Philly itself? Dock street brewery and Yards are tied for me. honorable mention to St. Benajmin brewery and Crime and Punishment for weird russian beers

best cheesesteak - used to be Delassandro's but their quality has gone downhill. now its Barry's Steaks just off on Ridge on Leverington, which amuses me because i've been going there for a decade and the owner really upped his game last year.

Shout out +1 to santuucis and delasasandros (or chubbys). Thanks for not saying the dumb tourist trap spots for steaks. Johnny Brendas when it reopened years ago before fishtown turned to minivan paradise was my spot but that was a decade ago or so.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Laphroaig posted:

I'll check this out because every single piece of poo poo from New England that's belittled me about Italian beef had told me about this crap

I mean I had it in Pittsburgh, but if it's -the place-, I'll finally know.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Weeping Wound posted:

I'll check this out because every single piece of poo poo from New England that's belittled me about Italian beef had told me about this crap

I mean I had it in Pittsburgh, but if it's -the place-, I'll finally know.

I also recently went to Banh Mi and Bottles on south street, and can recommend their Special Sauces Banh-Mi. They've apparently got a vietnamese baker making their bread for them, and its really good stuff - basically my ideal perfect French bread, crispy outside, incredibly soft inside, thin and flexible enough to eat a bite out of - basically its drat good bread.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

KaptainKrunk posted:

Philly... own[s]

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MasterControl posted:

Shout out +1 to santuucis and delasasandros (or chubbys). Thanks for not saying the dumb tourist trap spots for steaks. Johnny Brendas when it reopened years ago before fishtown turned to minivan paradise was my spot but that was a decade ago or so.

i honestly never had dalessandros because i'm usually never in roxborough. never in fishtown either but i know there's a baller la colombe shop there.

jim's is the closest to where i was in philly but walking by that place in summer is the most rancid smell and i don't know how people can stand to eat from there after catching a whiff of it. ishkabibble's is loving amazing though if you go to the smaller original one (they added another a couple blocks up on south street).

the best food is the lamb over rice from one of the carts though. i could eat that every single day forever. it's so good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I had a long-time Philly native tell me how Joe's Steaks in Fishtown was the best, and how it used to be called Chink's Steaks. He did all of this in front of my wife, who is Asian.

Still need to try the place out to confirm. Best sandwiches from my experience are Rocco's in front of the Home Depot on Columbus. You'd never guess by looking at it but drat they're good.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

triple sulk posted:

i honestly never had dalessandros because i'm usually never in roxborough. never in fishtown either but i know there's a baller la colombe shop there.

jim's is the closest to where i was in philly but walking by that place in summer is the most rancid smell and i don't know how people can stand to eat from there after catching a whiff of it. ishkabibble's is loving amazing though if you go to the smaller original one (they added another a couple blocks up on south street).

the best food is the lamb over rice from one of the carts though. i could eat that every single day forever. it's so good

Dallesandro's is the only place in the City that The Sauce though so that's a definite elevation in my book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
cacia's and marra's have the best pizza in philly

cacia's rolls are so good, the best. marra's has amazing italian food, you can get a pizza for take out, also get an order of antipasta, the best there is.

the best deli in philly is tony luke's. get the pork sandwiche.

http://www.caciabakery.com/index.htm

http://www.marrasone.com/

http://www.tonylukes.com/

• Locked thread