Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
What's the timing on Fire Axe?

If I initiate a combat with 1 resource, spend it to increase Fire Axe's attack, then win the combat, do I do 1 damage or 2?

Likewise, if I initiate a combat with 1 resource, then play Lucky! to turn it into a success, do I do 1 damage or 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yes to both is how we've been playing it. The card checks for Resources during the damage step.

Is there a ruling that says this is the case? My first instinct was to say that you are correct, but it makes more sense to my cardgaming instincts that the effect is checked upon initiating the action, not after success has been achieved.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fat Samurai posted:

Why are you giving cigarettes to a kitty :ohdear:

Gotta keep those eyes lit up somehow

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I've had trouble working out how damage assignment works despite reading and re-reading the rules, can the thread chime in?

If I have an ally who has 1 Health and 1 Sanity, and I take a hit of 1 damage and 1 horror, can I assign both of those to the ally or only one before the ally is defeated?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Quick rules question:

I am attempting to pass a check of difficulty 2, with a skill of 2. I draw a -3 token; the final result can't go to -1 so it ends up at 0.

Can I play Lucky! to boost the result from 0 to 2, or does it actually count as a result of 1 if I was to play it?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Zerf posted:

It would count as 2 - 3 + 2 = 1 (vs 2, i.e. a fail). Compare with Look What I Found, which works after a failed test.

Edit: In case you are interested in the rules specifics, all modifiers are applied in ST5, and clamping the values are done in ST6. https://arkhamdb.com/rules#Skill_Test_Timing

Ah, I confused those two cards in my head - so Look What I Found would work in the situation I described above.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Today I realised that you can use Forbidden Knowledge in combination with Fire Axe to get multiple attacks with +1 damage without having to risk un-boosted attacks. Throw it on Agnes and you even get to ping for 1 extra damage as you do it.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Wow, almost all of these cards are amazing.
Is there an actual release date for Miskatonic Museum yet?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
If I was to investigate then play Double or Nothing and Deduction in the same skill check, do the effects of Deduction apply twice or only once?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Played Carnevale of Horrors for the first time last night, two-fisted with Zoey and Rex, and it's quickly become my favorite scenario so far. It's really intense and exceptionally thematic. Looking forward to trying it again and not getting pummelled into the ground!

It seemed to me to be incredibly combat-driven, with so many enemies that kept cropping up, and racing ahead of them didn't exactly help. We lost after rescuing everyone and spawning Cnidathqua, because we just couldn't deal at all with the Baleful Reveler chasing us down. It didn't help that the docks were one step counterclockwise from the Basilica, the furthest possible distance away.

Good scenario though and I really enjoyed the unique ideas they threw in.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Plavski posted:

I got my Rougarou, Carnevale and Museum packs in the mail today. Looking forward to getting my rear end kicked just like everyone else this weekend. Kinda sucks that by the spoilers we've got of later Dunwich cards, they'll be really heavily XP focused so won't be viable for standalone side-scenarios. I guess this means our cardpool for them will more or less plateau until the next big box.

Personally, I like that there are strong upgrade options for long-running campaigns, as it gives the decks a good sense of progression. Plus, you can just include higher XP cards; it's just that each 10 XP spent requires you to include an extra basic weakness (which is probably a better rate than what you'd get in a campaign anyway)

I think there's also a strong possibility that with enough cards in the mix, fan scenarios can be created. Did this ever happen with LotR?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Preview article for the Path to Carcosa deluxe expansion: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/17/the-path-to-carcosa/

Nothing terribly new for anyone who looked at the leaked spoilers earlier in the thread, but the new "hidden" mechanic on some of the encounter cards is an interesting design space to explore.

Also really looking forward to giving Lola Hayes a shot. I hadn't realized she could use level 0-3 from any class, so that will open up a whole host of options for interesting builds, moreso than the original level 0 only that I thought she was restricted to.

This is going to add some weird multiplayer interactions.

"Okay so just use Pathfinder and you can get out of there"

"Nah, I'm not going to."

"What? Why not?"

"I'm just not, OK?"

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

So, Where Doom Awaits came out this week and finally reveals the secrets of Strange Solution.

It has three different versions, each cost 1 resource / 4 xp. Can only be included by upgrading from unidentified Strange Solution after it has been identified during the ongoing campaign (duh). Every version comes into play with 4 supplies, first version is heal 2 dmg from any investigator at same location, second is Fight with base skill 6 and +2 dmg, third is Evade with base skill 6. Icons are 2 will, 2 combat and 2 agi, respectively.

Seems very strong, but also quite a bit of hoops to jump through and a fair amount of luck needed to get good use out of it, so might not be worth it in the end? Need to try it out though.

I have been playing a Daisy Walker deck and each release has me feeling more and more underpowered relative to the other classes, at least where combat is concerned and once stuff like Mind over Matter is spent. I am glad there is an appropriately Seeker-ish answer to this. Seems really versatile, if a little expensive/risky to get in the deck.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

dishwasherlove posted:

My friend is a massive fan of this game so I grabbed him some stuff for his upcoming birthday and I want to print a custom investigator for him as well. I haven't played the game and need a bit of direction, can anyone come up with some decent traits and abilities for a veterinarian?
Here's a spitball idea that took me 5 or so minutes to put together but there might be something fun in it.

Seeker class.

Stats: 3 Willpower, 4 intellect, 2 Combat, 3 Agility

Deck construction: Seeker and Neutral cards, up to 5 cards from other classes. Can always include Creature cards in deck creation and level ups (right now this only includes Guard Dog and Stray Cat but may be more later).

Ability:
Creature cards do not take up an ally slot.
If engaged with a Creature card with only 1 health remaining, may spend 1 resource as a free action to discard that card (again: only Swarm of Rats and Whippoorwill in base/Dunwich right now).

Elder Sign ability: Search the deck or discard pile for a Creature card and put it in your hand.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I forgot about the other stats!

Health: 6, Sanity: 8

When you discard a Creature card by placing damage or horror on it (note: this includes enemies), take 1 direct horror.

Unique weakness:
Rabies.
Revelation: Put this card into play in your threat area with 3 damage tokens on it. It cannot leave play while it has 1 or more token on it.
At the end of the Player Phase, for each damage token on this card, place 1 damage on a creature you control.
Action: Spend 1 resource to remove a damage token from this card. Then, if it has no damage tokens on it, discard it.

Unique card:
Man(/woman)'s Best Friend (Cost: 3)
Free Action: Exhaust a Creature card you control to add 1 to the current skill check.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 18, 2017

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

dishwasherlove posted:

Thanks guys, you rule.

While I was at it, I created a decklist that might work well for the character, and better-defined descriptions for the character's cards and abilities.

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/1770/the-veterinarian-1.0

Hope he likes it!

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

dishwasherlove posted:

That is above and beyond. Between to two scenario packs, playmat and this I'll be in the good books (It's his 30th so worth going the extra distance). I'll report back.

One side note is that to actually create this deck (and have the character be worthwhile) you will need two copies of the base game or proxy up a few cards - specifically, Old Book of Lore, Dr Milan Christopher, Guard Dog, Stray Cat, Mind Over Matter, Deduction and probably some of Guts and Unexpected Courage.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
2 new Seeker cards revealed, an ally who allows you to redraw an encounter card by dropping a clue (seems like a waste of the Ally slot, except that he costs 1 and has 2 health, 2 sanity), and a 5-XP-cost card that can reveal 1 clue from all locations in play. Huh.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 7, 2017

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Radish posted:

Can anyone give some feedback on this Zoey deck?

Zoey Samaras
Packs: Core Set (2)
Assets
2x .45 Automatic (Core Set)
2x Beat Cop (Core Set)
1x First Aid (Core Set)
2x Machete (Core Set)
1x Zoey's Cross (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Liquid Courage (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Kukri (The Dunwich Legacy)

Events
2x Evidence! (Core Set)
2x Dodge (Core Set)
1x Dynamite Blast (Core Set)
2x Drawn to the Flame (Core Set)
2x Emergency Cache (Core Set)
2x Taunt (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Shortcut (The Dunwich Legacy)

Skills
2x Vicious Blow (Core Set)
2x Guts (Core Set)
2x Overpower (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Treacherys
1x Random Basic Weakness (Core Set)
1x Smite the Wicked (The Dunwich Legacy)

It's paired up with a Daisy deck and supposed to keep stuff off her while doing some very light clue finding. We got stomped in the first adventure of Dunwich but a big part of that was both of us drawing weaknesses second turn and the Janitor being literally the last card of the encounter deck.

My wife and I are playing a Dunwich game with Daisy/Zoey! Your deck is very similar to ours but we left Shortcut in Daisy's deck so we could make room for Rite of Seeking to help Zoey hoover up the low-Shroud locations as she has such a good base willpower.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Question about "Undimensioned and Unseen":

The ability on the Brood of Yog Sothoth says that it "cannot be damaged or attacked except using the ability on Esoteric Formula". Can you use Esoteric Formula, then use other things like Vicious Blow or Zoey's Elder Sign ability to increase the damage? We played it that you could (as the damage was being done through Esoteric Formula) but a stricter reading implies that you probably shouldn't

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Prairie Bus posted:

Sounds like they’re fixing the Essex Express scenario. The replacement for Ancient Evils looks cool - it’s still worse than the average card, but it’s not straight backbreaking.

Would it be gamebreaking to just straight up houserule this as a replacement for all Ancient Evils includes? Ancient Evils is murderous, especially in four player games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

IcePhoenix posted:

Also the ancient stone finally got an upgrade! They both look pretty nice, as well.

Too late for me to put them in my Ursula deck, though :(

I'm glad they went with the "shroud difficulty = number of charges" route

Now to pump one up to 14 charges with a Double or Nothing :getin: