Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've had a hankerin' to build decks and play some campaigns, so I taught a couple of friends the game today and we played through the first scenario of Night of the Zealot. They seemed to pick it up fairly well over the course of the game and we came out with 7 experience and without anyone getting defeated!

I used the same decks I've taught with previously:

- Combat-focused Agnes
- Investigation/Healing-focused Carolyn
- A pretty standard Yorick deck

My two biggest plays as Yorick (an Act of Desperation on a spent Enchanted Blade, and a Trial by Fire >> Resourceful + a charge from Enchanted Blade with the intention of grabbing Trial by Fire from the discard) were both eaten by auto-fail tokens and I was very sad. Both of my friends got their respective willpower and intellect bonuses out super early, though, so Agnes horror-machine-gunned enemies and Carolyn hoovered up clues like they were pros.

Looking forward to introducing them to more things.

On a different note, how beginner friendly is The Circle Undone? I've played through Dunwich with a few different groups as they learned the ropes, and Carcosa one and half times, but I haven't touched TFA, TCU, or Dream-Eaters despite owning them for years, and I haven't picked up Innsmouth yet. I kind of don't want to jump in to Dunwich again, and if I do Carcosa again I'd much rather the other players be comfortable with the game already so that they can enjoy the wild ride (Carcosa is so, so good). TFA I know is right out for newer players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Jcam posted:

I’ve got my player cards stored in cardboard boxes currently and have been thinking about changing to ring binders with the nine-slot card sheets. Anyone else doing this currently? How many cards were you able to fit in a binder, and how did you do it? So many important questions for storing my dumb game for babies.

The only products I don’t have are the Return To boxes and the novellas, so I’m trying to figure out a good solution for being able to more easily leaf through player cards.

I store all of my player cards in a bunch of small, 1-inch binders:
  • Cards are split into separate binders by faction (Neutral/Weakness cards are together in one binder)
  • The first few pages of each house the investigators, three to a page (investigator/mini cards >> signature card(s) >> signature weakness(es)
  • I sectioned them off into Level 0 Assets / Events / Skills, then XP Assets / Events / Skills
  • Assets are sorted by their type for easier browsing
  • Things are otherwise sorted in (rough) release order so I don't go crazy rearranging everything when new stuff comes out
  • I don't do front/back on the binder sheets, just cards facing one direction. This is just personal preference but it helps bulk up the 1-inch binder because they would otherwise be a bit too slim on pages. Also I used to work in a game store so binder pages were effectively free

I set them up this way because I play with friends who aren't as keen on using arkhamdb, so when they want to upgrade their decks I can hand them one faction at a time and let them browse while other people can browse other factions without having to wait. The binders are sorted enough for my purposes when I go to physically build a deck I've built on arkhamdb, and because it's a looser organization I can just slot things back in without rearranging or having to remember specific spots for cards, just general groupings.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The Beast Thralls set is quite annoying in general and always gives me problems.

My only real suggestion if you keep failing Where Doom Awaits is to take the loss, give yourself a little bit of XP, spend it, and play a "What if...?" version of Lost in Time and Space as if you had won Where Doom Awaits. That way you at least get to see how the last scenario works, even if your characters' stories all ended before that.

We had the same thing happen to us in Path to Carcosa--we got a bit too greedy chasing XP in the penultimate scenario and it ended up costing us the whole campaign. We all really wanted to see the last scenario and how it could have ended, so we just pretended like we won and played anyway.

Some scenarios are bullshit and aren't worth playing over and over. No one's going to clock you if you just skip 'em or pretend you won. :)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I haven't picked up any of the Starter investigators, Innsmouth, or Return to the Circle Undone yet, so I was looking at the player cards that had come out since last year along with the upcoming Edge of the Earth expansion, and I was reading about a very silly but interesting combo:

The Red Clock ticks up one charge (and gives you a bonus), exhaust Eldritch Sophist and move that charge to Pendant of the Queen, exhaust the Pendant and spend a charge. Profit!

There are a couple investigators that can pull it off: Ursula and Trish. I'm tinkering with builds to see if it's worth trying out, and I feel like Ursula's probably the better choice between the two since she'll have an easier time pulling out the combo pieces with Seeker tech.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I just replayed through all of Dunwich this week, two-handed, with Roland and Finn, and honestly, yeah, Dunwich is pretty terrible. You're always one Rotting Remains away from failure, and the Sorcery set is just awful design space--test 5 willpower and mill if you fail, and if your deck runs out, you're dead.

Anyway if you're curious:
Roland start and end (he survived the final scenario).
Finn start and end (he did not survive the final scenario).

You can click "view next deck"/"view previous deck" under the Progress section for each deck if you want to look at individual upgrades for each scenario. I kind of gave up on trying to do anything about Willpower tests and just focused on getting clues as quickly as possible. Undimensioned and Unseen sucked, everything else was pretty doable. It was still kind of a slog and I don't think I'll do Dunwich again for a good while.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm going to guess it's (Path to Carcosa scenario resolution spoilers) Nigel Engram, the director of the King in Yellow. In one of the resolutions for A Phantom of Truth, he's disappeared and his home is abandoned, but (another scenario resolution spoiler follows) in another resolution you get to meet him (maybe?) and glean some information. Then maybe(?) he's hanged himself and has been dead the whole time you've been talking to him.

The theme of an unreliable narrator permeates the whole campaign quite nicely.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I see both doubt and conviction paths as coming to the same conclusion:

-Doubt: we don't think this is real but we have to know the answers
-Conviction: we think this is definitely real and we need to get to the bottom of it

... but was it real?

Doubt and conviction are just two different kinds of "crazy" in a Lovecraft/Chambers story.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think they're ok and it's clear they were mostly trying to include more of the core set investigators in some of the core set cards. My main complaint is that a lot of them are kind of dark and muddy compared to their original counterparts. Working a Hunch is a good example.

I think the only card I'd really want out of all of them is First Aid since I've had friends cover up the original art when they play it because it's a bit much.

Maybe Guard Dog, too.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Nebrilos posted:

I've been trying to avoid killing the people associated with the play production because I'm uncomfortable with the whole murder thing, but it makes scenarios a lot more difficult. Maybe I'm supposed to just kill them all?

... are we still watching the play? Is this the second act?

:hmmyes:

Mark 1 Doubt in your campaign log for this post.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Kalko posted:

I tried this out a while ago and I was impressed by how thorough it was but aside from one-click shuffling and scenario setup I found just about every card interaction kind of frustrating compared to just playing with the physical version and like, reaching over and touching a card.

Also, one thing I find, especially playing two-handed, is that the game is so dense with information that even if you're very familiar with all of the cards you still need to study the board a lot of the time to plan your turns, and it's impossible to take in the entire board in TTS without constantly scrolling and zooming and hovering over stuff.

I can understand how it's a great option if you want to play multiplayer but can't get people in the same room, but if I'm playing by myself I'll pick the physical game 100% of the time.

Just in case you're not aware, by default you can hold Alt while hovering over something to bring up an image of the card/token/whatever you're hovering over, which you can then mouse-wheel zoom-in-and-out independent from the board. Alt+Shift while hovering will let you look at the underside of something (and put an indicator on whatever you're looking at to show you'd viewed the underside in games where it matters).

You might already be doing that but it makes playing anything on TTS way easier once you know you don't have to constantly change your camera position just to read a card.

I've played and taught a lot of Arkham and Gloomhaven on TTS, and before I play with anyone I always go through a TTS 101 Class to make sure everyone has a handle on it so they can focus on enjoying the game more than fighting against TTS's jankiness. There's some stuff that isn't intuitive or is easily forgotten from the in-game tutorial that can make your play sessions way more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Ancient Evils is good and fun when it forces you to choose between being greedy for XP or finishing the scenario with a decent resolution because of time constraints. Most of the time it just kicks you when you're down. It's also one of the few cards that negatively affects an entire group in one fell swoop, rather than complicating matters for one person that maybe the group has to react to.

It's such a simple card at first glance, "oh ok, we all lose a turn." But losing a whole turn suddenly forces you to recalculate everything going on and is way harder for inexperienced players/blind playthroughs to actually grapple with, especially when one Ancient Evils can cause a cascade effect of failure by advancing the agenda a turn too early.

It's not bad design per se, but it's definitely not fun (for me) because it removes too much agency from the players.