Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
So, I just learned this game existed. Having something Lovecrafty and cool to dick with solo in my free time sounds really appealing, and I might be able to talk my girlfriend into playing. I did have a couple questions/concerns I wanted to run by you goons before I ask my FLGS to order it for me.

Does solo play actually work, or are you going to end up forcing it to work, and the game ends up kinda janky and weird without two players? When playing solo, do you control two investigators, or just one?

How far does replayability realistically go? Is there enough variability of events in the core to get a good chunk of time out of it? Or, after one or two playthroughs, are the events predictable enough that you start to need expansions to keep the game challenging?

Lastly, I heard that two core sets are highly recommended, and some characters kinda suck unless you have the extra cards. Is this correct, or is that kind of exaggerating the necessity? Is the same true for the other little expansions, or the Dunwich box? Is it possible to just proxy a bit, or are there tiles, dials, or tokens that are necessary and would be difficult to proxy?

Beyond that, any advice for someone looking to maybe buy in to the game in the near future? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Ashcan Pete is really living up to his title as a drifter in my solo campaign. I've brought him through the core and carried him over through Miskatonic Museum. He shows up to every scenario half-dead and nearly insane, watches his vagabond bench warmer buddy go insane, watches his dog get kicked around, then inevitably just says, "gently caress it, not my problem," resigns, and moves on, dragging his friend and dog away, having barely accomplished anything.

This made me laugh way harder than it probably should have. Just an awesome image.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
Looks like the Core and Dunwich Legacy have been on the boat since mid-april. Anyone know how accurate FFG's 4-6 week boat-to-shelves estimate is nowadays? I remember for a while they were nowhere close to meeting that with X Wing restocking.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Word is end of May from distribution but who knows anymore.

Hey, that's more of an answer than my LGS had for me. I'll go with "cautious optimism" about actually playing this game outside of Tabletop Simulator for now.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
Got my hands on two cores recently, and having a blast with that both solo and two-handed, mostly some combination of Roland, Agnes, and Daisy. Haven't really figured out Skids yet, and Wendy I've only played once. Something about them just isn't clicking for me. Any tips for them would be welcome, maybe I'm just not seeing something obvious.

Had my first perfect solo of Midnight Masks (on easy, admittedly) with Roland yesterday evening, with one action remaining before I would have doomed out the second agenda. Was a really tense finish, I realized 3 or 4 turns in advance that it was possible. After the game I wound up going through and checking for any weird ability triggers or enemy rules I might have missed. I'm pretty sure i played everything right. Really, I think I just got super lucky and only failed like 3 skill checks, all of which were pretty negligible. That, and the encounter deck was surprisingly kind.

Really excited about giving Zoey and Ashcan Pete a try, I love the flavor and concept for both of them. Ordered Dunwich Legacy at the FLGS almost a month ago, I guess they're having problems getting it. If it doesn't show up at the next ffg shipment I might start looking elsewhere for it. I'd rather buy from them, but if their distributor doesn't have it I guess it can't be helped. The store really only carries x wing and destiny as far as FFG products go, though I imagine the distributor would have everything.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Lichtenstein posted:

Tip #1: draw Leo the Luca in the first turn.
Tip #2: as Skids, import all necessary murdertools from Guardians and proceed to out-warrior Roland by virtue of your superior evade-tanking.

Wendy is kinda tricky, you either keep her as a monster-manipulating generalist for larger teams, or do obscene janky event combos

Ok, I was starting to think they would be more worthwhile in larger groups. Skids as a fighter with a big bankroll and a couple tricks makes more sense than trying to run him mostly mono-green. And I guess I'll give Wendy another shot soon, maybe I'll like her more with a deck that isn't just the single core starter deck.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Orange Devil posted:

The problem with this is that it works only exactly once.

Well, unfortunately, yeah. Just like any of the bits of Temple of Elemental Evil or Return to Castle Ravenloft. If you play the same RPG twice, some of the little tricks and traps just won't work the second or third time through. It isn't a bad thing, it shows a lot of creativity and willingness to experiment on the part of the devs. It took some time, but Strange Solution payed off. Maybe in a future Nightmare Pack type thing, consequences will work their way in.

As for Ancient Evils, I can't really speak for its impact on big games, but I kinda like it in solo or two player. Since the timer is right in front of you all game on the agenda deck, AE is a nice way to add a real sense of urgency and panic. It doesn't belong in every Encounter Deck or scenario, of course. But i don't think it is flat-out bad design.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
Yeah, definitely call around to other LGS in your area. I managed to piece together two cores plus the full dunwich in a little over a month by just calling around and asking people to let me know if they got stuff in. It's not great, but it works.

Failing that, tabletop simulator and OCTGN, while both finicky and annoying in their own ways, are a perfectly good way to get a feel for the game. I grabbed it on tabletop and played a bit before deciding how much i wanted to buy in. Still bought everything because i think the art and design is very much worth having a physical copy. But while you wait for the reprint, it's a good way to scratch the itch.

Completely unrelated from above, is anyone here using custom playmats? I found these and had something similar on printer paper. I'm hoping to get my hands on something more permanent, but still on the cheap side. Anyone do something other than the Inked Gaming mousepad style mats?

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

ShaneB posted:

The small shoe card boxes on amazon are like $8 or so, and will be big enough for all the Arkham stuff as of now with an entire row+ free for expansion, or another CCG/LCG you want to get into. :D I honestly can't play this game without dividers now, it makes set up and deckbuilding far far nicer.

I just picked up a bunch of the BCW single row boxes to sort encounter sets and scenarios, it's such a quality improvement over little plastic bags. The entirety of dunwich non-player cards (in penny sleeves) take up just over half of an 800 count box, with room for tokens and the like. Another box for core set, PODs, and all the room I'll ever need for future PODs.

Player cards are still in the core box, i made a bunch of cardboard dividers to sort by class and stuff. Even with 3 cores and dunwich, it's less than half full.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

ShaneB posted:

3 cores holy guacamole. I won't even buy 2 after buying all the mythos packs and carnevale in the span of a month.

Yeah, it's a lot. Paid full for two, picked up the third from a friend who bought it and never played in payment for a few hours of moving furniture.

I think a second core is pretty worthwhile for opening up deck building options. Though at the rate new stuff is coming, it probably isn't as necessary as it was. The third is pretty excessive, but helps with larger play groups.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
Anyone have any good alternatives or modifications for the investigator mini cards? Dunno why, but they've become a weird focus for my recent game improvement kick.

Also, any other suggestions for nifty or useful game additions or mods would be more than welcome.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

I'm honestly starting to think it's impossible to win the core campaign solo with one core box/starter decks. I even shifted down to easy with Roland and face planted at the Ghoul Priest because I drew nothing but library related cards.

Closest I got was Skids, who at least landed a punch on Umordhoth before being smeared on a cave wall.

Its definitely doable, but it isn't easy. I'd definitely recommend playing on easy difficulty if your card pool is just one core and nothing else. Roland can pull it off with planning and a bit of luck.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Elenkis posted:

The OCTGN module is complete up to and including Lost in Time and Space, and can be downloaded from the game manager inside the client.

I'll have to look into this, that's pretty sweet news. TTS, while kinda charming for the first ten minutes, was a huge pain to actually play.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Chaotic Flame posted:

Playing two handed is a bit of a pain but there's a guide for how to do it if you Google "lord of the rings OCTGN two handed" or something similar

Yeah, I've done that before for lotr. Annoying, but hardly the worst thing I've dealt with tying to make an obscure game program behave the way I want it to.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Xlorp posted:

Rereading the thread double core set looks like the way to go for most convenience and pairing options. Then plow into a campaign series.
How is Agnes paired with Jenny?

As others said, Agnes and Jenny both take a few turns of setup to really start rolling, so any early game problems might be tough. Agnes/Roland is one of my favorite pairs, and should work ok with one core+dunwich. Pete would be a good choice too, if you run Agnes as all purple.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Obama 2012 posted:

Toot Toot!

Looks like we've got a new class of permanents coming to reduce XP costs.

Shrewd Analysis gives you a 2 for 1 upgrade on Untranslated/Unidentified cards, but you have to pick them at random (maybe we'll see more than just Acidic Ichor now?).

Arcane Research lets you take a mental trauma in exchange for a 1XP discount on the first spell you buy after every scenario--that could be a good 6-8XP value over the course of a campaign. Seems like a good choice for Norman Withers maybe?

This is cool and good. I like the flavor of the randomized untranslated stuff a lot, and its not like the other results are bad to have. They just aren't AS good. I've thought about trying this before, just because it makes so much more sense than knowing ahead of time what your mysterious tome is going to translate into.

Again with the arcane one, sacrificing sanity for knowledge is so on point with the flavor of the setting.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
Probably a little more than that your first time, just because you're still grappling with the rulebook, but that sounds about right.

A single core has ok replay value too, but not the best. A second core ups it a decent amount, and is necessary for more than two players.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
So, next weekend my LGS is doing a Labyrinth event. I don't know anyone I'm going to be playing with, and don't know the scenario at all. Normal rules for standalone deck construction. Thinking about bringing two decks, maybe three if I have time to build them, to avoid character overlap.

Since I'm going in pretty blind, I'm having a hard time deciding what decks to build. My gut right now is Roland and Agnes or Akachi, since either way I've got combat and clues covered decently well. Maybe Ashcan Pete for the same reason, though I'm not as familiar with survivor cards.

Would it be more worthwhile to build more specialized (Rex/Zoey) type characters, and not worry about covering everything? Or, should I just build whatever I want and trust that it'll work out fine?

Also, does anyone have any general guidelines on spending exp for standalone? I'm thinking right now to stay under nine to avoid the extra weakness.

Any other (spoiler free) tips for going into one of these PoD scenarios blind? If it helps, my collection right now is 2 Core, full Dunwich cycle, and the Path to Carcosa box. I could/might pick up more if there are seriously good cards I'm missing, but I'm limited to whatever the lgs has in stock, which has been pretty depleted lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

If your FLGS is planning on having enough people for three full groups of four, I recommend specializing pretty heavily. Even my group of three effectively ended up with two players due to story effects (my poor Sefina), and they did just fine with heavily specialized characters (Leo for combat and soaking damage, Minh for picking up all the clues).

The only other non-spoilery thing I'll mention is that you literally cannot waste deck slots for Labyrinths of Lunacy--everything will be useful in some capacity. All my Sefina deck ended up doing before biting the dust was generate enough resources to nearly deplete my supply of resource tokens, and that ended up being a huge boon, though not necessarily for me.

Yeah, I believe the goal is the full twelve. I'll look into changing around the Roland deck for full monster slaying, and I guess I'll just treat his ability as a nice bonus. Though I might be better off with Zoey or Mark at that point.