Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Obama 2012 posted:

Does anybody here play Wendy Adams these days? I never hear much about her, but I'm curious if the expanding card pool has done her any favors.

I really liked her evasion tank gimmick the first time I played her. Then I reached the boss of the core set who'd unexhaust after every player's turn and she was completely worthless.

It left a sour enough taste in my mouth that I've not wanted to play her again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I have all the cards so far, and I am having guys over to play next week.

Which 4 (or 5) investigators should I build? I need to make sure they are very different.

I was thinking Roland, Skids, The Hobo, Daisy, and the Trumpet Player.

I think that Jim Culver excels at hard difficulty due to the way he changes the skull token. I'd be hesitant to use him on standard or easy (which is what you should be playing with new people), let alone have someone brand new to the game try him out. On easy he is just an underwhelming Agnes and might give a bad first impression when his special ability almost never does anything.

That said, I'd be tempted to throw together decks for all of the Dunwich investigators without any splash cards. Players will quickly see how the different classes work and everyone will play very differently. It'll also avoid being too optimal, so people can feel good about spending XP after the first mission when they find out they can take 5 cross class and upgraded cards.

Dunwich investigators also have more health/sanity, so more margin of error for new players.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

In my experience with two player, taunt is often a dead card but when it does come up it can be absolutely vital.

When we finally switched it out for something else it would have prevented us from losing the very next mission we went on if we had it instead of the new card.

Both aloof and the machete's requirement to engage enemies for bonus damage make it important.

It's also practically free to play with Zoey.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah I used my mind over manner, pulled a -4 and failed the check lol. Oh well, I guess thats the point of the game. Once I played that though I felt hopeless (again probably the point) with Daisy lol.

Mind over matter lasts until the end of the round, which should be giving Daisy 3 attacks. I wouldn't play it if you are only making one attack.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

hmmmm mustve did it for the attack rip. Still though, thats 5 unbuffed against 4, anything other than a 0 or a +1 is bad news right?

I usually try to throw away cards for the icons so drawing a skull from the chaos bag doesn't trigger a negative result, but needing a -1 or better isn't that bad on normal difficulty.

Since the mission ends after you beat the cultist, using the rest of your hand to get +1/+2 on each of those attacks is worth it, and needing a -2 or -3 is pretty good odds.

Edit: I wouldn't play on hard without a second core set. Being able to include 2 machetes, 2 vicious blows, and 2 police officers with skids is a huge deal. 2 mind over matters with daisy is similarly important. Note that the example starter decks are intentionally bad to encourage deck building.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 1, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

alansmithee posted:

Imo you don't want two cops. You won't have charisma yet, and you have access to Leo, use him.

I'm not as into Leo with Skids due to his ability. I find he needs more help succeeding checks than getting more actions. Cops also don't last long due to their ability to die for automatic damage, so having multiple early game is fine. Dogs are arguably better before you upgrade cops.

I play on hard though, where I don't think Skids has enough base combat ability to thrive without help. Leo is probably fine otherwise.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I havent played Rex yet. What happened?

He can get an extra clue if he succeeds by enough. Combine with upgraded deduction and someone else's double or nothing to pick up 8 in a single action.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

:vince:That's awesome. What are some other really strong combos you guys have found?

Double or Nothing is also good with Expose Weakness. Expose Weakness lowers the base difficulty, pre-doubling. Combine with a Shotgun for an easy 10 damage. 14 with upgraded Vicious Blow. Flashlight while investigating works similarly.

Double or Nothing is really good with Mystics. Rite of Seeking or Shrivelling can go a lot further. Double or Nothing, Fearless, and Liquid Courage heals 5 horror (7 with upgraded Fearless).

Speaking of Flashlights, the chaos bag can't drop you below 0. Flashlight lets you automatically succeed (baring auto failure) shroud 2 locations regardless of your investigation stat.

Not an elaborate combo, but I rather like Shortcut. Pushing your combat monster into the room with the big bad means they get an extra attack, which could be the difference between winning and losing.

One last Double or Nothing trick, use it with Quick Thinking for two additional actions. I always take Quick Thinking with Rex Murphy since you want to succeed by 2+ already.

FAQ might imply Rex's ability doesn't work with DoN, but you can still get 7 clues and 2 extra actions with DoN.

Edit: Miskatonic University Double or Nothing using the special item to deal an absurd amount of damage to the creature in a single hit.

If you are playing with multiple investigators and have access to Double or Nothing take it.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 4, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

alansmithee posted:

I believe DoN only doubles stuff on the base action you use it on, not extra effects. Or so that's how I read the FAQ, I could be wrong.

Still a great card. And yeah rex is borderline broken. Just keep him away from combat...

It was FAQd to double the results of an action but not any reactions to a successful skill test. This means if the result is baked into the action through skill cards it'll be doubled. Rex, Dr. Milan Christopher, or Scavenging wouldn't be doubled because they occur are triggered "after you successfully . . .".

Edit: One unintuitive interaction, Seeking Answers + Rex gets you one clue at your current location and one at an adjacent location. He also doesn't combo particularly well with Deciphered Reality. Neither does deduction, since it specifically gives you an additional clue at your location.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 6, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

So is the word "after" the key thing to look out for?

From the FAQ:

quote:

I have committed Double or Nothing (TDL 26) and Perception (Core 90) to a skill test during an investigation, and I also have Dr. Milan Christopher (Core 33) in play. If I succeed, which effects are resolved twice?

The effects of a successful skill test are applied during step 7, and Double or Nothing causes each of these affects to be resolved twice. Dr. Milan Christopher’s ability is a reaction to succeeding at a skill test, and therefore is triggered and resolved during step 6, after success is determined. During step 7, the game result of the investigation (discovering 1 clue), and the “if this test is successful” result of Perception are both resolved twice due to Double or Nothing’s effect.

If a card has a trigger, like Rex or Dr. Milan (the circular arrow or lightning bolt), you only get it once. If it is part of the check (skill cards, weapons) it is doubled.

Edit: I think double or nothing is mostly trash with a single investigator since it is a dead card if you can't beat the doubled check (it isn't optional). Being able to tell the group "hey, if you overpower/perception/guts you'll get two cards back instead of one" really changes things and encourages teamwork.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 6, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Rules q: Say I have an ally with 2 Stamina 2 Horror. I get 3 Horror and 2 Stamina damage from some big baddie. What are my options for assigning this damage?

Can I split the damage as I see fit? I take 2 Horror and 1 Stamina, Ally takes 1 Horror and 1 Stamina? Or is my only splitting option the individual horror and stamina buckets, like I take the horror ally takes the stamina?

If not, does the ally take 2 horror and goes insane, and nothing happens with the 3rd? Or does the 3rd roll over to me?

You can split damage as you see fit.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

EDIT: Also with the Double or Nothing chat - Rex cannot use it, if that wasn't already made clear. It's a Fortune card.

Someone else uses it on his check.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

To answer your deck building questions, I don't think Rex needs a fire axe. Zoey is good enough at killing monsters that I've found Mind Over Matter, I've Got A Plan, and eventually Strange Solution are more than enough to aid in combat. As previously mentioned I love quick thinking, especially if Zoey takes Double or Nothing. Burglary is a waste of time, Milan gives you more than enough money when most of the good seeker cards are super cheap already. Seeking Answers doesn't synergize with Rex's special ability (you don't get two clues from the other location) so I've always skipped it.

Zoey is garbage at clue finding if you don't splash mystic and some of the scenarios focus more on investigation than combat. I think using your limited selection of non-guardian cards to pick up a weapon is a waste when you already have access to Machete and Lightning Gun.

Edit: Prepared for the worst is a great way to make the first copy of Lightning Gun you're able to afford a lot easier to find, so I agree on taking it.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 7, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Oh, another thing, I highly recommend taking Dr. Maleson with Rex. Being able to redraw event cards is so very good. Means your first upgrades are likely Higher Education and Charisma.

Edit: Another issue with Zoey's resources, Lucky is hard to use with the Fire Axe.

Looking closer I'd skip working a hunch with Rex. He is fast enough at gathering clues without it. Another deduction would go further and save you resources.

I have inquiring mind in my deck but even though it looks amazing I've yet find it very useful. I'm almost never in a location without clues during the mythos phase (although Maleson helps with this) and holding onto the card to be able to trigger higher education is usually worth more than spending it. I'm not planning on getting rid of it, due to the Maleson interaction, but it is almost always a dead card whose only role is increasing hand size.

Elusive is a really good card. I went with Delve to Deep instead, but if I wasn't trying to milk as much XP as possible I'd probably consider it. Delve has been worth it for us though, my partner and I are playing Zoey + Rex on standard and we've already accumulated 20 xp after 3 missions. It is also a thematic pick for the investigative reporter with bad luck.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 7, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

So are you pushing me towards ditching Fire Axe in both builds?

Zoey seems like Drawn to the Flame is a usual inclusion for clue gathering?

Considerations after reading:
Rex:
- 2 Fire Axe
- 2 Working a Hunch
+ 1 Dr. Maleson
+ 1 Deduction
+ 2 Quick Thinking

Zoey:
- 2 Fire Axe
+ 2 Drawn to the Flame

Anything else? I'm concerned going down 2 full weapons for Zoey.

The .45 isn't a bad backup weapon that you can later replace with Lightning Gun. I'd take at least 5 weapon cards between Machete, .45, and Prepare for the Worst. Prioritize the Machete, but the other three cards are to taste.

Drawn to the Flame is really good. I've seen people argue for Rite of Seeking, but that is probably overkill (and really expensive) when you are teamed up with Rex.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm about to start Lost in Time and Space and I've noticed that Rex has run out of interesting card upgrades long before Zoey even has half of what she wants.

How are other people prioritizing upgrades? I went with Stand Together and Beat Cop (2) as my early upgrades, which I'm sure helped with the deck's consistency and helped Rex when he didn't get an early Dr. Milan, but the Lightning Gun ended up completely changing the dynamic of late game fights. It proved vital the very first mission I had it.

Essex County Express: Being able to kill grappling horrors reliably in a single hit made the mission so much easier than when I went through it with Jenny and Daisy.

Where Doom Awaits: It also combos absurdly well with Double or Nothing. Zoey was able to one shot both the Crazed Shogoth and Seth Bishop, I had stacked enough modifiers that only an auto fail would have stopped me. The beginning of that mission was still pretty rough though, I kept drawing high health monsters before Zoey found a weapon. I didn't keep the Necronomicon so we even started that game with a 6 health enemy one space away.

The other card that ended up being game changing for Zoey was I've Had Worse. Where Doom Awaits: Beyond the Veil would have killed her if I didn't have I've Had Worse. I'm wondering if it would be possible to pick up before the Miskatonic Museum.

I know expensive XP cards being good shouldn't be a revelation but I was surprised by how important they were.

I also discounted the usefulness of Brother Xavier (it costs so much to play!) until Zoey was taken down to 1 health and 1 sanity in Blood on the Altar. Rex won the game for me that turn so it wasn't too bad but things got a little too close. Luckily that card is super cheap so I was able to buy it immediately. I was wrong, it proved to be incredibly useful. I was wondering though, does it combo with I've Had Worse to let you cancel damage to another player and gain resources?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 8, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Why do you only have one shrivelling.

Agnes is really good at killing things, btw.

You need more redundancy so your deck can be more consistent. I'm of the opinion that if a card is worth including in your deck it is almost always worth including twice unless you have a way to search for it like research librarian or prepared for the worst.

If you can't kill things add more combat cards.

Second scenario is way better than the first one but most people think it is way harder.

Edit:

Are you running through the adventure too fast? Since you've played the mission before you know the priest is at the end. You also know how many turns you have to beat the scenario. Don't trigger him if you don't have Shriveling yet, especially if you still have half a dozen turns. You might need to pace yourself.

It is also important to know when to play assets vs. events. Assets have a pretty major opportunity cost, both in resources and actions. If it is nearing the end of the mission it might not be worth putting them into play.

Take a look at the cards Agnes has available and figure out which ones could even let you beat the Ghoul Priest. Since he has retaliation you want to be able to succeed on your checks fairly reliably. How to you make sure you are doing damage even if you draw a skull or -2?

Finally, once you get the hang of solo, win or lose, I'd highly recommend switching to "two handed" solo. Controlling two investigators, who can pitch cards to help each other, can make the game more interesting. Some people prefer "one handed", of course, and that is OK too.

Edit 2:

It costs XP to switch out cards, even if they are level 0.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 11, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Edit 2: Actually my deck idea may be illegal as has 6 survivor cards, jettison the 2nd leather coat for something else.

She can have as many survivor cards as she wants, just limited to level 2.

I think people undervalue the original investigators, being able to take the best of two card pools means Roland and Daisy aren't as far behind Zoey and Rex as some people claim and Agnes being able to take Peter Sylvester (2) along with the luck altering survivor cards is fantastic.

Their lower health and sanity is probably their biggest weakness.

Especially Skids, poor loving guy. Low willpower and sanity means he is such a liability. Two rotting remains and he is out. At least Roland can bring some art students and laboratory assistants to shore up his weaknesses while getting stuff done when you don't have monsters to fight.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Whoops, didn't have the cards in front of me and couldn't remember her splash rules. Peter Sylvester is probably a decent pickup for this deck as well, though doesn't combo well with her special ability.

I like him with her special ability because it lets you avoid horror when there aren't enemies available to damage and helps soak up instances of 2+ horror, since taking more than one at a time doesn't give her more bonus damage.

If you take Forbidden Knowledge for extra damage on demand you'll definitely want help dealing with horror the event deck will send your way.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Having access to the lightning gun early seems like it is going to feel like cheating.

You don't need to spoil player cards. It is assumed that you build your deck with all available cards.

It is a tradeoff. A single lightning gun will trivialize combat while you have ammo but it is expensive in xp and resources and you aren't guaranteed to draw it.

Requiring two hands is also annoying since flashlights and machetes are also good. You can take a bandolier, but that card doesn't do much until you draw your lightning gun and machete. You also probably don't want to spend xp for a bandolier, which means starting your character with a card that doesn't do anything.

Or you can discard your machete whenever you play the lightning gun but then you'll either want to save it for boss monsters or take some extra ammunition.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I will repeat what I heard, but have no confirmed, that after Essex County Express is kind of a logistically and thematic place to do the side-quests. Any thoughts on this? I just finished getting all 6 Dunwich Mythos packs, and I have Carnevale, so now to finish the 2 deck designs and get my wife re-hyped to play after our somewhat inconsistent performance in the core.

It would be between Miskatonic Museum and Essex County Express, definitely not after ECE.

I prefer them as a stand alone adventure or a way to retire a character that just finished a campaign. Taking a break from a pressing story in the middle of a campaign to travel to New Orleans or Venice strikes me as incredibly weird.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I thought there was some thematic thing where you didn't really know where to go next in Dunwich, so having some sidequest made sense.

EDIT: Oh it was after the Museum I think, like you said.

The story is set up so you always know where to go next. After Museum works better than your other options but I still think it doesn't make much sense.

They also offer very little XP with a high chance of failure. Having to redo the first three Dunwich scenarios because you went on a side quest that wrecked your characters is a very real possibility.

I don't think they are a good idea from a story or power gaming perspective.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

So would you suggest just doing one of those standalone decks where you get like 9 (??) XP and just go ham on it?

Absolutely.

Especially in your case, where you're not sure which type of character your wife would enjoy. Maybe try something completely different, like Ashcan Pete and Jenny Barnes.

Ashcan might even be a good fit for your wife, since if she doesn't like her cards she can always throw them away to ready Duke.

Edit: What did you two play previously?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 12, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

The lovely default Roland and Wendy decks that we upgraded over the core scenario.

Ah, that would explain why your wife thought most of her cards were useless. She was right, up to half her cards were just plain bad with her character depending on who she was playing.

Play a well constructed one-off and I'm sure your wife will have a better time.

The only advantage to the default decks is that they really encourage making your own deck. Playing an entire campaign with them would be awful.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd recommend running Carnevale of Horrors over Curse of the Rougarou. Carnevale is one of the best scenarios they've released so far while Curse is merely OK.

Play with either 9xp or 19xp and a bonus weakness. The extra 10xp goes a long way while going from 2 to 3 weaknesses isn't a huge deal.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

So is the game designed to always be a straight shot through Core -> Dunwich with scenarios & the same decks, or is it:

Core scenarios

REBOOT

Dunwich core -> mythos packs

I ask because after I finish the core I'm gonna start it over again with 2-decking, and I am wondering if I should do core then build new decks over for dunwich & reboot, or what.

Reboot

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It's definitely a fun deckbuilding exercise, and you can incorporate a storytelling/roleplaying element into it to justify having or not having access to later cards.

"Roland stumbled upon the lightning gun only after rummaging through the village of Dunwich, but after the events there unfolded, he found himself Lost in Time and Space. He was suddenly facing down the Ghoul Priest again, with slightly more firepower this time..."

I don't understand why you'd need to justify it. None of the player cards are tied to the Dunwich story in any way.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah, it's just an artificial "challenge" for myself to just limit myself to the entire Dunwich cardpool during a run. But honestly I like winning and having fun with my wife more than losing.

If you get to the point where the game is too easy just play on a higher difficulty. Removing deckbuilding options just seems like a way to remove a lot of the fun to me.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Sefina seems limited by the low level event card pool but the high level stuff is incredible, so if you get her there having a lot of powerful effects on demand will be nuts.

Which high level stuff were you thinking of? She can't use Painted World on exceptional cards so you are left with Bind Monster, Blinding Light (2), Mind Wipe, Hot Streak, Sure Gamble, Emergency Cache (2), and Moment of Respite.

Only Sure Gamble seems incredible. Blinding Light (2) is nice to have but the rest are niche at best.

I really want to like her but I think we need more cards before she really starts to shine.

Bottom Liner posted:

Does anyone play this online? I'd love to play more 4 player in a dedicated group via TTS or something.

I'd play this online if I knew a good way to do it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I think Sefina can use Delve Too Deep with The Painted World.

5 bonus XP each scenario while nearly guaranteeing the party's loss makes me want to try an "I'm outta here!" style playthrough where Investigators bumble and fail their way through a campaign only to finally defeat an ancient god by ramming a boat load of upgraded cards into him.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

alansmithee posted:

I don't think that works. Painted world goes to the VP area but then there's no actual VP on it.

That said, Delve is such a fun card. Our first run though Carcosa had us ending up with 12 vps after the first scenario from 5 delves and William's unique card.

Yeah, I reread a bunch of rules before posting that because I wasn't sure. I think it comes down to whether or not "play as an exact copy" means it stays an exact copy while in the victory display.

Edit:

I just realized that William Yorik can dig up dead cats, dogs, and football players after killing enemies and put them into play. He is a necromancer!

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 14, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Continuing my futile attempts to get good at this solo. The main issue I'm having at the moment is that being the only investigator means you everything engages with you and only you. More than once I've been in a position where multiple enemies have spawned at once (though a combination of Act/Agenda progression and encounter cards) and because I'm the only investigator there I'm automatically engaged with everything at my location. So I don't physically have enough moves to kill or evade all of them (even assuming I was successful every time) so taking enough damage/horror to almost instantly wipe me out is inevitable.

Only advance the story at the start of your turn unless you know what is coming. You are better off delaying by playing assets or drawing resources and cards than potentially spawning a monster when you have less than two actions remaining.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

I more meant the agenda pushing forward and being followed straight away by the encounter deck, but I know what you mean.

I guess evade is the most important stat for solo. Except you need to be able to kill things. And investigate. Alone.

Roland is really good solo if you have two core sets. Even more so if you have some of the early Dunwich sets that'll give him access to Laboratory Assistant and Art Student since his sanity is quite bad.

Machete should let you kill monsters faster than they appear while still picking up all the clues.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

OK, just went through the first scenario in Dunwich:

Are you supposed to be able to feasibly kill the Experiment? The thing had like 13 hit points, so killing it even with a machete as a Guardian seems like it's not going to happen unless you got there without a scratch. We were pretty much scrambling at the end and ended up taking the pretty easy route through the dormitories, which seems like a lovely resolution option.

We only got 2 XP from the first scenario, which means I can't purchase Higher Education, and I am pissed off about it. :(

Dunwich generally has a lot less xp than core since it is a longer campaign. It is one reason I run delve too deep. The other reason is that Delve's negative side effect is sometimes really good. In that scenario it lets you find the janitor a lot quicker.

There is an item you can use that deals a ton of damage to that enemy. I've been able to kill it with both my Rex+Zoey and Daisy+Jenny playthoughs without any issues. Daisy+Jenny was particularly easy since Jenny was able to double or nothing the item.

Has anyone run Dunwich successfully on hard yet?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I'm struggling to think of what it is besides Dynamite Blast, but that's only 3 damage, and maybe a Fire Axe? Shotgun requires XP...

You find it in the scenario. Alchemical Concoction deals 7 damage on a hit. 14 with double or nothing.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone played with an Akachi build yet?

Just did today. She is amazing. First xp purchase was grotesque statue for obvious reasons.

Being able to bounce spells helps make sure uncage the soul isn't a dead card.

She also does well with arcane transmutation. It is an emergency cache once she has her special asset and you can use it to help deal with her weakness. Never actually used it for its actual effect.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Sega 32X posted:

Yorick is probably the best fighter in the game at 0xp. Played through the first couple base set scenarios to test him out and he's ridiculous. Knife is hilariously great with him. I imagine he gets a lot worse compared to the Guardians once they get 10-15xp under their belts.

Survivors don't have any sort of economy helper, do they? He can't run dark horse because he needs money, but it looks like it will be tough for him to afford to bounce back crazy cards like Police Badge or Brother Xavier.

He honestly looks like the best guy to take advantage of Ever Vigilant, since he can play a ton of cheap assets and dump his whole hand.

He is amazing at 0 xp, the other person I played with tried him out with guns, cops, leather jackets, flash lights, and lucky charms (thrown away for skill icons and brought out for free when monsters died) and he worked really well. Low resource cost assets tend to be great for their cost if not for the action required to play them.

He doesn't have access to anything comparable to the shotgun, lightning gun, or Chicago typewriter so I don't think he can rely on only weapons long term. He is also susceptible to horror if you go with the obvious guard dogs or beat cops.

I was thinking maybe upgraded Aquina and Peter Sylvester could be a decent alternative to the more obvious guardian allies? Aquina makes you immune to monster damage but can disappear in a hurry due to horror / using her ability. Being able to bounce her back into play while using Peter for horror mitigation might end up cheaper than brother Xavier in the long run.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 24, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Edit: Also, Dr. Henry Armitage seems not really good enough to add to a deck, right?

It really depends. I've found that some characters are resource starved enough that his ability can be really nice to have.

If you have a stat boosting permanent like higher education or streetwise being able to turn duplicate assets or no longer necessary events into resources can be great.

I imagine it is even better with Skids.

Edit: I just realized how much I want to add that card to a William Yorick deck. Goddamn.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 25, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

My real issue with these additional story allys is that they don't count towards the deck size, diluting it further, and colliding with the allys you usually want more. Unless they are bonkers it's hard to slide them in for me.

Deck dilution when it makes your deck larger is not always a bad thing. Don't forget you take a horror every time you go through your deck.

It also makes your weaknesses rarer.

If you are playing Guardian or Seeker there are also some really good cards to help with card draw if you are having issues with consistency.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I went through my deck three times as solo Ashcan Pete doing hard mode Carnevale of Horrors. Some of the events in that scenario can really delay things. I also had a rabbit foot and an inability to pass checks, so lots of card draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

Hey Carcosa-havers, how did Yorrick turn out in practice? I'm particularly thinking about the viability of the shovel/knife shenanigans, given he can simply pack a machete?

I found him to be really good with guns.

Shovel is terrible for a primary combatant. It is OK as a backup for Minh. She'll likely have Dark Horse which means the Fire Axe doesn't work.