Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've not played TFA yet. Any spoiler free or spoiler light deckbuilding advice? I've heard a lot of the difficulty stems from the scenarios asking very different questions of the investigators.

People talk a lot about agility treacheries in this campaign, but it's not super bad or anything. A permanent that can shore it up for resources if needs be will be enough.

The worst thing is the supplies, and you're punished for making bad decisions quite annoyingly.

It's a good campaign though, and has a couple of really best in show scenarios. Also one of the very worst, but I'll leave that to you to figure out which one that is :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

He pretty much has to be referring to Boundary Beyond.

My main advice is that trauma is going to happen. That's just how the campaign goes. Keep that in mind.

Ding ding ding

city of archives was one of the two best in show, the other being depths of yoth

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

I suck at remembering the names of these, looking this up it seems to be scenario 4 which I played so long ago I don't remember anything about it. What are the issues?

There are many, but one of the principal ones is that it's a scenario that can outright remove your progress. It's really horrible to work hard only to see that success taken away and making you do it all over again. A lot of the flipping mechanics are tedious too and it's not very satisfying. Has a nice theme, but the gameplay is regressive and miserable. Many people just skip it. It's telling that they never revisited those mechanics.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Yeah, plenty of investigators' elder signs are +0: Calvin Wright, Preston Fairmont, Daisy Walker etc. Several others can be +0 if their pre-reqs aren't met, like Jenny has no money or Agnes has no horror.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Probably somewhat overpriced, but really quite neat. The scenario changes are both of the variety/fix and difficulty variety and mostly straightforward to sort out the two (encounter cards for difficulty, locations, agendas et al probably for variety). The boxes, while welcome for providing nice index cards for sorting the cards have quite a bit of empty space, with the understandably short Night of the Zealot bordering on ridiculous.

Both of my boxes are full. Buy more expansions and scenarios

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Carnivale is awesome. And don't play them at 0xp, play them at 19xp and take the extra weakness.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The difficulty with the standalones comes mainly from the bag. If you play it mid campaign it's substantially easier due to the friendlier bag state.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/3/the-dream-eaters/

And it's off to the Dreamlands we go! I'm very excited!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Funzo posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for characters to take in to a two player Path to Carcosa campaign? We can find usable decks, but I don’t know what a good combination would be.

We did it with Joe Diamond and Serafina Rousseau and it was really fun; they're both able to survive on their own while being really strong together.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Well, starting a new campaign in a few minutes. Ursula, Roland, Pete and Duke are gonna go explore the Amazon, wish us luck! Hope there's no snakes!

Enjoy! My one word of advice: don't forget the power of a good night's sleep!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

It depends on the difficulty; if playing on Hard, there's no way I'm not seriously weighing things up before considering letting a +2 ride.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I picked up my Clutches today. Did this release go under the radar or have I just not being paying attention? Maybe with all the talk around return to carcosa and the dreamlands expansion, people are tuning out of the circle undone?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

It's way more narrative heavy than previous campaigns, but it's subsequently more immersive because of it. We've been enjoying it greatly.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Ooh, looks great!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mecharasputin posted:

So after playing through the core box and falling in love with it I splurged on a second core, the entire dunwich cycle and the return to dunwich legacy box.

How significant are the changes in Return to? Should I play through the vanilla campaign first and leave the return version for greater replayability down the line, or is it best to incorporate the changes on my first playthrough?

Return to ramps the difficulty noticeably. It smoothes out some rough edges in the campaign, but at the expense of you having to know the scenarios pretty well, have an optimised deck with access to a large card pool, and just be pretty good at the game.

I'd recommend going vanilla and come back to Return once you have more Arkham experience under your belt.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

That's a good point. I do a flat 1:1 replacement of Resurgent Evils for every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Bunch of Dream-Eater cycle stuff was streamed a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXitACLFXiQ