Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric Danger
Jan 15, 2017

Evangelist of Atheism
I like turning classical compositions into EDM. This particular track is loosely based on Friederich Chopin's Opus 66 "Impromptu Fantasy". It presented a challenge because the original piece reminded me a bit of a movie where the action hero ducks into an elevator for a minute in the middle of a gunfight. I had to have some fun with it to subject the entire composition to an unrelenting four-to-the-floor dance beat, so it may strike you as a little goofy or offbeat at some points. The answer being, yes, I did those things on purpose :dance: .

Song Title: Opus 666
Artist: Eric Danger (Me, woohoo!)
Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/eric-danger/opus-666
Genre: EDM
File Size: 10.3 MB (if you download the 320 kbps mp3)
Song length: 4:31
Liner Notes: Seek immediate medical attention for an erection lasting more than four hours.

I was a little nervous about posting this, as it's my first track posting here at SA. I'm really interested in people's opinions of it as a dance tune, more so than critique about the production, like did it make you want to get up and shake your rear end or not? Thanks for taking the time to listen! (Downloads are enabled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I listen to a lot of EDM so keep that in mind as I provide my feedback.

First, your concept is pretty interesting and unique which makes it an overall compelling track. The synth melodies seem to work pretty well for dance music and I like the production (even though you didn't ask for feedback on that).

I guess the thing that keeps me from wanting to jump out of my seat and dance is that there isn't a lot of movement in the track. It is essentially the same Kick/Hat repeated for the entire duration. Dance tracks need buildups, transitions, drops (I don't mean sick dubstep drops either), and some variation in the percussion to get me out of my seat. I also think the kick could have more of a punch. It is mixed well but doesn't quite have the oopmh I look for in a dance track but that may be a personal opinion.

Some of the transitions between Synth Leads are a bit jarring and that may be your intent. But in my opinion, that swift change can really affect your perception of the rhythm even though its the same tempo because your mind immediately needs to understand the new pattern.

I hope this didn't come across as harsh because I think the track overall is really cool and I think has a lot of potential.

Eric Danger
Jan 15, 2017

Evangelist of Atheism
Thanks for the feedback, MrSargent, I think your observations are spot on. I have difficulty with adding in new structures that aren't present in the original. Thus the lack of buildups, transitions, and drops. Definitely an area I'm trying to work on. I tend to go after a composition in a "full-on" mode. I'm not sure if I'll try to retro-fit this track with any new structures, but I have another project in the works that will see some benefits from this (movement 3 of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata").

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
A technique that I learned from deadmau5's MasterClass that has really helped me in terms of my arrangement is to create a 4 or 8-bar loop and keep adding elements to the loop until you have reached its "peak" or full sound. Then you create the rest of your track around that loop by subtracting elements and adding them back in over time. It probably sounds like a "cookie-cutter" method of building a track but you will be really surprised at the ideas that can come out from creating a simple 16 or 32-bar progression from that loop.

Eric Danger
Jan 15, 2017

Evangelist of Atheism
I'm actually working through that deadmau5 class right now. This is the first "MasterClass" that I've done (?) or watched or whatever. His madness seems to resonate with mine pretty well. We'll see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Danger
Jan 15, 2017

Evangelist of Atheism
I've been getting a lot plays off this thread - some of my other tracks too, despite the fact that only one person felt inclined to take part in the discussion. So I'm going to give a sneak peek of my next project to anyone who wants to check it out.

It should push more of the right Trance/EDM buttons than the last one did. Like buildup/breakdown, though without letting the 138 BPM beat drop until near the end. It's movement 3 of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and I will eat my shoe if Beethoven didn't write this as an almost perfect dance tune. I'm kind of surprised that someone famous hasn't already done it.

It's a private (and temporary) track, 7:46 [Edit removed link]

(BTW, I took a clue from deadmau5 about the percussion...aside from the kick, "I don't want all that poo poo in my track". I used some percussive bass lines instead.)

Eric Danger fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 5, 2017

• Locked thread