Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/BenOndaTop/status/822980014333456387

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

AFCS plays AFCN and NFCW next year so

Texans schedule next year

@Colts
vs Colts
@Titans
vs Titans
@Jags
vs Jags
Patriots
Chiefs
Steelers
Bengals
Ravens
Browns
Cardinals
Seahawks
Niners
Rams

I see... 7-9 wins at most there

At best split with Titans, at best split with Colts, maybe sweep Jags, Browns and Rams and Niners should be wins, then you get into trouble

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

JJ's already been paid, you mean Nuk

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a patagonian cavy posted:

some cursory research showed that the Texans salary cap has some room, especially in the future, so I'd be insanely surprised if Nuk and Clowney didn't both get paid this offseason. they both deserve it

Clowney won't until next offseason, the team policy is to not extend draft picks until their final offseason for some reason

JJ was a special case

Getting Osweiler off the roster will pay for Clowney's new deal all by itself

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bouye, Wilfork maybe (hopefully?), Lechler, Griffin, Simon, Demps

Probably won't be able to keep them all

Then maybe Oboushi, he probably doesn't get much money so he could be a depth signing or become the starter if Jeff Allen continues to suck

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 24, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

b0ng posted:

I would keep Lechler and Bouye out of that group, maybe Simon if he's cheap.

E: wilfork too but he's more mulling retirement than a big deal

Lechler will be back almost certainly, Bouye hopefully. He and Johnson are the future of the Texans CB corps with Kareem probably moving to safety I think

Demps is a quality safety and having him around keeps Corey Moore the hell away from the field, always a plus. I think Griffin is back unless they're planning to draft OJ Howard in the first or something

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just want to say gently caress YOU to the Colts for wasting Frank Gore's twilight years.

Turns out it wasn't Trent Richardson's fault after all?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just like last time we had divisional threads, no one wants to post in the AFCS thread :lol:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-z8UCF16OM

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Athanatos posted:

Please tell me he was trying to throw at the ground to kill the play because it was busted.

He probably was, but it was eventually ruled a fumble because it was a backwards pass so it's pretty bad even if he had missed the foot

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah, 11 of them vs 10 wins

If he throws one more, he'll have the same number of pick sixes as Tom Brady.

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 30, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm happy McAfee retired because he always seemed to clown the Texans. And he's a punter

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Not for long, the Titans are going to be scary good next season if they can patch a handful of holes :ohdear:

Unless the Texans can get a QB, then suddenly there are two, maybe three legitimately good teams in the division

*repeats "Unless the Texans can get a QB" for the 14th straight year*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Except that one year I guess

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Whoa, JJ shrunk a fair amount

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/826790407371681794

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why would he be off the juice when he's rehabbing from injury smart guy :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Isn't his rehab up to this point mainly 'don't do anything?' I'm honestly surprised they appear to have managed to get that concept through to him.

He's been working out for awhile now and supposedly could have played in the divisional game if they hadn't already returned someone else from IR

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans will get a good QB just as the defense goes back to being crap like the early Schaub years

And I mean good like Schaub level good, not like elite level good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Seahawks that won it were hardly unmemorable

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember when the Jags only lost to one team all year?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Metapod posted:

I see another afc south fan got mod power

gently caress you bitch no mods no rules

Wow they went with my suggestion

Prepare for seiferguy as mod too I guess

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/832265066103894016

https://twitter.com/JeromeSolomon/status/832266856123731971

:pray:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think the thing I'm most looking forward to with the return of JJ is the Texans FB page posting a "caption this" picture of JJ doing something amazing and half the people posting "Watt Happened" like they're clever and unique

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

19 (or possibly 20)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

You don't play in the Pro Bowl...if you play in the Super Bowl :frogc00l:

Taking the possibility of not getting a top 2 seed because Romo misses a handful of games into account

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/gotnothinbutlov/status/834066273067728896

DON'T DO THIS TO ME

(also almost certainly false as it would be against NFL rules for him to be meeting with the Texans)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't think they'd be so brazen about it :shrug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I sure am loving all the noise I'm hearing in Houston these days about how Romo is a bad idea and we should trade whatever it takes to get Jimmy G instead

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Barnwell thinks the Texans should trade their first for Jimmy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

If you think that Jimmy is worth the Browns' #33, which I think is probably the conservative expectation at this point (considering the loving lunatics like Simmons/Lombardi thinking the Browns needing to give up #12+), then I don't think it's crazy for the Texans to look at that and consider giving up #25.

I'd rather have Romo of course, but the timing may not work out for that if the Cowboys think they can actually trade him.

I don't want another loving Patriots backup, especially not one who has played 1.5 games

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Wouldn't Jimmy be a more practical fit with their cap situation? I mean obviously it depends on what Romo wants, but I'm assuming he's looking for around market price for a top 10 QB.

Romo isn't going to command nearly what he would have if he hadn't missed so much time due to his health, especially at age 37

His market should realistically be an incentive laden contract from a team that thinks it's a QB away and wants to gamble on a healthy season before their window closes (Houston and Denver pretty much)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 28, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Giving the Patriots a pass catching TE basically for free is definitely a savvy move by an AFC GM

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Until Brady makes him look like a world beater, then the Pats let him walk and get a 3rd round comp for him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gatorade is bullshit, it's all about the pedialyte these days

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Like Rick Smith wouldn't just screw up a second round pick anyway

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It saves us $10m on this year's cap and now we don't have to eat $6m in dead money next offseason, if nothing else making it easier to sign Clowney and Nuk so it's worth it regardless

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also if they keep them

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Brock Osweiler is literally the AFCS's worst starting QB in history

This is a division that has seen Curtis Painter and Rusty Smith

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This post is quaint and funny now that the Patriots apparently want minimum two firsts for him

e:

https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/839972513450979328

I know people like to say "Imagine being paid $36 million to be bad at your job" but it's really more along the lines of "Imagine being in the top 50 or so people in the world at a job that pays tens of millions and failing to move into the top 25"

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 10, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

His job wasn't to be a backup QB, it was to be a starting QB in the NFL. In that sense, he's bad at his job, even though he was good at lower-level positions along the way.

It's the Dilbert principle in action really

Farewell Brock, professional starting QB for the Houston Texans

3/9/2016-3/9/2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Metapod posted:

this is one of the greatest plays in league history

It's even better than the Bortles ricochet off his receiver's foot play because it was run in for a touchdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Crossposting from the FA thread

quote:

So when did the Texans decide it was time to move on from quarterback Brock Osweiler despite a contract that pays $16 million guaranteed in 2017? The decision was made in the aftermath of an incident that occurred on the first day of the calendar year.

January 1. Texans at Titans. Backup-turned-starter Tom Savage took a hit on a quarterback sneak during the first play of the second quarter and was removed for a concussion evaluation. Starter-turned-backup Brock Osweiler entered the game.

Confusion emerged during the second quarter as to whether Savage had been cleared to return to action. At halftime, Savage got the news: He was being shut down for the day.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Savage became very upset, knocking things around in the locker room and otherwise making a ruckus about having his status jeopardized by a doctor’s decision to keep him from playing. At or about the same time, coach Bill O’Brien informed Osweiler that he’d be finishing the game.

Osweiler, per the source, reacted negatively, telling O’Brien in the visiting coach’s office at Nissan Stadium in Nashville that he’s only playing Osweiler because O’Brien needs him. [Editor’s note: That’s sort of how football depth charts work.] An argument ensued, voices were raised. At one point, it’s believed that Osweiler got up to walk away and O’Brien threw out an arm to stop him. That prompted Osweiler to act as if he were being “held hostage,” a claim that he would repeat (per the source) in the days after the game.

And that was that for Osweiler in Houston. Following that incident, the team was determined to find a way to move on from him.

Rumors of an incident of some sort had been percolating for weeks. Both O’Brien and Osweiler downplayed talk of a loud argument in the days after the game. Following the hot potato trade that sent Osweiler and a second-round pick to Cleveland, former NFL defensive back Bryant McFadden said in an appearance on 120 Sports that Osweiler and O’Brien had a “physical confrontation that got ugly.”

“It was physical,” McFadden said. “It was physical. The players and coaches had to restrain O’Brien and Brock.”

Both the Texans and Osweiler’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, declined to comment on McFadden’s claims. Based on the information PFT has obtained, it seems that the incident was mildly physical at worst.

Consider it objectively. Osweiler is six-seven, and he was wearing full pads. O’Brien is considerably shorter than that and, unlike the conventional game-day attire in baseball, was not wearing pads and a uniform.

Whatever did (or didn’t) happen between the two of them, Osweiler’s perceived overreaction to the incident was, we’re told, the moment the Texans decided to move on from Osweiler.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/12/week-17-altercation-was-last-straw-for-texans-and-osweiler/

lol if true but with the Florio caveat

• Locked thread