Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Latest Update: Chapter 2: Gift of Ganglari

Hello everyone, and welcome to the world of Fire Emblem: Fates! Fire Emblem: Fates is the 14th entry in the ever-expanding tactical-RPG series developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. Fates was released initially in Japan on June 25,2015 with only the Birthright and Conquest, paths, and continued to release worldwide until June 10,2016 with the release of Revelations in Australia. In this entry, there is not only a single game, but three unique paths available for individual purchase (I guess awakening didn't make enough on it's own). This entry builds off a lot of the new mechanics introduced in Fire Emblem:Awakening while also expanding on mechanics that have been apart of the series for ages.

What difficulty are you playing this on?
I will be playing on Lunatic and Classic, to make things even more challenging on myself I will not be grinding in the paths where such options are available. However, if things get too difficult and we just start abusing the same units, we will make use of Fates mid-playthrough difficulty changer.

Which path are you doing first?
Either Conquest or Birthright, you decide! The first six chapters of all the paths are exactly the same, so once we've gotten past that point I'll allow you guys to choose which path to start with. I'll be doing Revelations last just because I feel it makes the most sense.

Can the audience participate?
Of course! as I read Tae's LP of Fire Emblem:Awakening, I was very interested in how he played the game based on the audience's choices, and thought it'd be a lot of fun to try myself. I will allow the audience to vote on who gets paired with who, which units participate in each battle, and which classes characters change to.

Can you elaborate on class changes?
Characters will get promoted or reclassed as soon as they've gained all the skills for their current class, with the exception of Azura who I'll allow to be reclassed at level 15 since she learns skills all the way up to level 35 (though we only care about her skills up to level 25).

How often will this be updated?
So far I've been trying to have an update every day or two, so quite frequently.

What's your policy on spoilers?
Please do not spoil anything. Fire Emblem:Fates is a plot dense game, as you would imagine with it having three paths. Of course it's fine to discuss events currently going on in the LP and speculate but PLEASE DO NOT SPOIL!

Table of Contents

Prologue: Ties That Bind
Chapter 1: Nohr
Chapter 2: Gift of Ganglari

Here is a list of other Fire Emblem LP's if you just can't get enough of the series!
Other FE LPs

Fire Emblem (1): Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light by DKII
Fire Emblem (2): Gaiden by DKII
Fire Emblem (3) Mystery of the Emblem by DemonTrigger (Need archives)
Fire Emblem (4): Genealogy of the Holy War by Wind God Sety
Fire Emblem (4): Genealogy of the Holy War AAAA Ranked Run by Fionordequester (ongoing)
Fire Emblem (5): Thracia 776 by Cake Attack
Fire Emblem (6): Sword of Seals by Artix74
Fire Emblem (7): Blazing Sword by Artix74
Fire Emblem (8): The Sacred Stones by Blastinus
Fire Emblem (9): Path of Radiance by Fedule
Fire Emblem (10): Radiant Dawn by Fedule
Fire Emblem (11): Shadow Dragon by TenaCrane (Need archives)
Fire Emblem (11): Shadow Dragon by LordHippoman (ongoing)
Fire Emblem (12): New Mystery of the Emblem ~ Heroes of Light and Shadow by TenaCrane
Fire Emblem (13): Awakening by Tae

Further Resources
Serenes Forest
Hit Rates Explanation

Mantis314 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Prologue: Ties That Bind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXs6r9Xv6ns

Fates Opening Music Pt. 1

Everything looks pretty normal so far.

What the hell is that?!

Fates Opening Music Pt. 2

It's interesting to see that this girl's dress changes depending on the version of the game you're playing, but that's not all that changes!

Depending on your selected path, your opening will contain different characters who play key roles in their respective paths.

You may be asking how falling down this abyss led to a place with floating islands. A reasonable question, and one that's never answered very well by the game.

With that out of the way, welcome to Fire Emblem Fates. Let's get started!
First we have to create a character, I just kept all of the defaults and made our Avatar a female to ensure we can get all the paralogues.

Boon and Bane are essentially the same as Asset and Flaw found in Fire Emblem:Awakening

For our boon and bane I chose speed(quick) and luck(unlucky), respectively. Speed has a role in determining avoid rates as well as allowing you to attack twice if your speed is 5 higher than your opponents. Luck determines your chance to prevent enemy critical hits from happening and plays a role in activating some skills. Aside from these stats, there are Strength(physical attack), Magic(magical attack), Skill (hit rates and some skill activation), Resistance (magic defense), and Defense (physical defense).

By choosing our Boon as Speed, and our Bane as luck, we have affected our stat growths for Corrin.
Corrin's base growth rates without any Boons or Banes applied are:
code:
HP	Str	Mag	Skl	Spd	Lck	Def	Res
45	45	30	40	45	45	35	25
With speed as our Boon, we get +15 to our Speed Growth,+5 to our Skill, and +5 to our Luck. However, by choosing Luck as our Bane, we got -15 Luck, -5 Strength, and -5 Magic.

So our Corrin's growths are:
code:
HP	Str	Mag	Skl	Spd	Lck	Def	Res
45	40	25	45	60	30	35	25
Since I chose Dragon as our talent, we will have the Wyvern Rider class and it's advanced classes available to us at a later time.

Here's yet another cutscene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqXy6k1r2GU

Going for a swim?

That's quite a bit more than swimming!

I'm not sure how her eyes don't hurt, but I'm impressed.

Endless Nightmare

Nohrian General, you face the High Prince of Hoshido, Ryoma! I challenge you to single combat!

I will accept your challenge High Prince.

But I am no general, I am Crown Prince Xander of Nohr!

Now, let's get right into it!

Corrin, what's the matter with you? You seem distracted.

If you're worried, don't be. All your siblings are here with you. The Nohrians don't stand a chance!

After the cutscene, the game just starts off with this girl Hinoka talking to us, and we're thrown right into the middle of a battle.

Ready to attack?

Guess we don't have much choice. Oh boy, our very first time initiating an attack!

Prologue Battle Theme

Here's our stats compared to those of our enemy. Let's discuss how damage is calculated. In addition to strength determining how much damage is done, each weapon has a Might(Mt) value which is added to the user's strength, the defense of the opposing unit is then subtracted from this total to calculate how much damage will be done. So, in this case 7(Corrin's Strength)+4(Bronze Sword's Mt)-1(Enemy's Defense)=12, wait what? We actually get an additional 2 damage from Hinoka's ability Rallying Cry.

Rallying Cry is a personal ability, meaning it is unique to Hinoka. This mechanic was introduced in Fates and every recruitable character has one of these skills and they seem to reflect personality traits. These traits cannot be learned, removed, or passed down.Rallying Cry grants all allies within a two-tile radius +2 to damage dealt. So the damage calculations for Corrin's attack in this instance would be 7+4+2-1=12.

Additionally, there is a weapon rank bonus when a character uses a weapon they are proficient with. The bonuses are as follows:
Swords,Katanas,Daggers, and Shurikens
E/D Rank: None
C Rank: +1 Attack
B Rank: +2 Attack
A Rank: +3 Attack
S Rank: +4 Attack, +5 Hit

Lances,Naginata,Bows,Yumi,Tomes,Scrolls,Stones, Fist, Puppet, Breath
C Rank: +1 Attack
B Rank: +1 Attack, +5 Hit
A Rank: +2 Attack, +5 Hit
S Rank: +3 Attack, +10 Hit

Axes,Clubs
C Rank: +5 Hit
B Rank: +10 Hit
A Rank: +1 Attack, +10 Hit
S Rank: +2 Attack, +15 Hit

Rods,Staves
C Rank: +1 Recovery
B Rank: +1 Recovery, +5 Hit
A Rank: +2 Recovery, +5 Hit
S Rank: +3 Recovery, +10 Hit

These effects are not cumulative, so you will only receive the bonuses for your current weapon rank. These benefits apply to all weapons that fall within the proficient classes. Higher weapon ranks also result on more weapons being usable.

As we're only of weapon rank E with Swords, we gain no bonuses from using the Bronze Sword.

You may notice the green x2 next to the 12, this means that Corrin will attack twice for 12 damage each hit. Double hits occur when a unit, such as Corrin, has a speed stat that is greater than their opponent's by 4 or more. So since our speed is 8 and our enemy's 0, a double hit occurs.

And our first kill, too! Sadly, the bloodbath must wait since it's the enemy's turn now, and it looks like Xander's going for Ryoma.

Was that cowardly attack on my people your doing as well, princeling?

... I have nothing to say to you. Surrender now. If you refuse...you die here

Here we have a battle between the High Prince of Hoshido, Ryoma, and his Nohrian counterpart the Crown Prince Xander.

Xander attacks Ryoma and Ryoma fires back with an activation of his Astra skill. Astra is a skill learned by Swordmasters at level 5 in Fates, it halves the damage of one's attack but strikes 5 times, effectively serving as a 2.5 times damage multiplier. Its activation percentage is the user's Skill/2

Not to worry, Elise. This royal blood in our veins is still good for something!

Have you spotted a Dragon Vein, Camilla?

You know me too well, dear little brother!

Yaaay, it worked! The river dried up!

I would never let you down, darling.Now, everyone follow me.

Elise, you're not ready for the front lines. Stay back. Camilla and I will take care of the Hoshidans.

As Elise mentioned, Camilla utilized a Dragon Vein, a place on the map usable by characters apart of the Nohrian and Hoshidan Royal Families. The Dragon Veins alter the map in someway and can be used both by the player and enemies, leading to new strategies. It is shown to the player as a glowing green or yellow space, and after its use you can see how it eliminates the obstacle of the river. The existence of Dragon Veins was introduced in Fates.

Prologue Map Theme

The Nohrian army used a Dragon Vein to dry up the river! But I thought only royals held that power...

Yeah, which means there must be some real big shots over there. Suits me just fine. I've always wanted to use a Nohrian royal for target practice!

Stay focused, Corrin. The Nohrians brought their heavy hitters this time.

Listen up, cannon fodder! We have a direct order from King Garon. He says kill 'em all!

Dammit, their reinforcements have arrived! I'll go scout out how many there are. Takumi, Sakura, stay with Corrin.

Understood.

Y-yes. Good idea.

Hang in there,Corrin. The Nohrian royals are no pushovers...We'll have to work together to beat them.

As the eldest, I guess you're in charge.Tell me what to do and I'll do it.

Are you hurt, Corrin? Here, let me heal your wounds!

After Sakura heals us, the Hoshidan reinforcements led by Yukimura appear.

Comrades, do not let them cross this line. We must defend Hoshido!

Really, Yukimura? You and your team of reinforcements didn't notice this guy at all?

Oh n-no! An enemy!

It's an ambush! Sakura, stay back.You aren't equipped to fight.

Takumi! Corrin! I'm counting on you two.Work together to defeat that soldier!

Listen, here's how we're gonna do this! With my bow, I can shoot this one from here. I'll soften him up, and then you can jump in and finish him off. Got it?

So much for telling Takumi what to do.

Finally, some action. Very, very little, but better than all of this dialogue! Takumi joins as our second usable unit, aside from Corrin herself. He won't be among our ranks permanently for a while and as such I will discuss him more deeply once he has joined us permanently.

I'll take a second to explain what's all going on here. HP shows how much health the attacking unit and the attacked unit each have. The hit rates tell us how likely a unit is to land their hit, if there's a dash through it as there is for the Nohrian soldier, it means he's completely unable to hit or attack. This is due to Takumi's Fujin Yumi being a ranged weapon to which the enemy's bronze lance cannot strike back. You may notice the green upward arrow next to the Fujin Yumi, this means that this weapon has an advantage over the enemy's weapon.

Weapon advantage can lead to increased avoid rates, hit rates, and even extra damage if the character is proficient enough with the weapon being used.The weapon advantage system, commonly known as the weapon triangle, is similar to rock, paper, scissors in which one of three weapon types is effective against one weapon type and weak to another. For example, swords beat axes but lose to lances, lances beat swords but lose to axes, and axes beat lances but lose to swords.

An interesting addition within Fates was ranged attacks such as bows and magic becoming a part of the weapon triangle. Magic is grouped with swords, bows are grouped with axes, and shurikens are grouped with lances. To clarify, this means that magic beats bows but is weak to shurikens, and additionally magic beats axes but is weak to lances. Please note that weapon rank bonuses are voided if a unit is at a disadvantage in the weapon triangle during battle.

In simplest terms:
Red= Swords/Magic
Blue=Lances/Shurikens
Green=Axes/Bows

Red>Green
Green>Blue
Blue>Red

Atk, or attack, tells us how much damage Takumi is going to deal, and to the right of it how much the unit supporting him(if anyone), in this case Corrin, will deal. Crit is the chance to have a critical hit, an attack dealing three times as much damage as a normal attack.

We follow Takumi's suggestion and end up killing the soldier. That's two so far, and many more to come.

Chapter Clear

And with that, this prologue is over! If only it was the end of all this dialogue

Corrin, Takumi, good work fighting off that ambush.

You were amazing, Corrin.

That went well. Probably because SOMEONE gave you good advice....And you're welcome, by the way.

No time to talk! Let's see how Ryoma's doing.

I'll be fine. I'm glad to see you're all safe. Enemy reinforcements are headed this way.I want you to get rid of them. Corrin, I'm counting on you to keep Hinoka and the others safe.

Corrin! Thank heavens we found you, and that you're alive and well. Quickly, come join us! Your family has come to take you home where you belong.

Quiet, Nohrian filth! Corrin is my sister and a princess of Hoshido!

On the contrary. Corrin is MY sister and a princess of Nohr!

Corrin! I was so worried about you. Don't ever wander away from me again!

I'm glad you're OK, Corrin. You must have the devil's own luck!

Yaaay! We got our sister back!

Nohrian scum! First you kidnap her, now you lie to her?! Corrin is MY sister, not yours!

You are mistaken. Corrin is my sweet little sister. You may not have her.

Don't be fooled by their words. You belong with your true family in Hoshido!

We have loved you and raised you since you were a child. Come home, little princess. We can live as a family once more!

Come home to Hoshido, Corrin!

No, Corrin! Nohr is your home!

Ok, now we're REALLY done with the prologue. I hope you guys are looking forward to this LP as much as I am.

Characters

Corrin

Starting Class: Nohr Princess
Initial Abilities:
-Supportive(Personal Ability): If paired with a support C+ attacker, grants Hit +10, +2 dmg dealt, and -2 dmg taken.
-Nobility: Grants this unit a 20% bonus to EXP.

Base Stats(Growth Rates)
HP: 19(45%) Spd:8(60%)
Str:7(40%) Lck:3(30%)
Mag:4(25%) Def:6(35%)
Skill:7(45%) Res:2(25%)

Note: These growth rates and base stats are only for an avatar with a Boon of Speed and a Bane of Luck.

This resource shows how Boon and Bane will effect your growth rates

This resource shows how Boon and Bane will effect your base stats

Bio:A member of the Nohr Royal Family who was raised in an old, remote castle. Distressed ever since her true heritage became known.

My Thoughts: Corrin is an avatar, and has all the perks and disadvantages that come with being one. As a unit, you can mold them to fit your playstyle and make them extremely powerful. As a character, they're your generic overly-kind and idealistic hero. Corrin serves as the Lord/Main Character of this game, which should give the player a greater sense of power and control over their destiny, but ultimately Corrin's actions often differ from those the player themselves would make.

Takumi
Starting Class:Archer
Initial Abilities:
-Competitive(Personal Ability): If supported by a same or higher-level unit, grants Crit+10 and +3/-1 dmg dealt/taken.
-Skill +2: Grants Skill +2.
-Quick Draw: Unit deals +4 damage when initiating combat.

Base Stats(Growth Rates)
HP: 26(50%) Spd:11(40%)
Str: 13(35%) Lck:13(45%)
Mag:0(0%) Def:10(35%)
Skill:17(60%) Res:4(20%)

Bio: Prince of Hoshido. He uses a legendary weapon known as the Fujin Yumi. He strongly seeks fame, and is often uncooperative. 3rd eldest child of the Hoshidan Royal Family.

My Thoughts: Takumi starts off as quite a jerk, but (depending on what path you choose) reveals himself to be kinder than initially thought. As a unit, he's what you'd expect of an archer: very high skill, low resistance,no magic, and pretty balanced in everything else. Being a ranged unit, he's very effective at weakening or killing units without taking any damage himself (assuming his opponent is not using a ranged weapon).

Mantis314 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 29, 2017

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay...deep breath. This isn't terrible, but it's gonna need some work. For starters, your style cuts out way too much of the minute to minute stuff. No establishing shot of the map, no explanation of how we're getting from scene A to B, descriptions of things that should really be shown (the Dragon Vein being the chief offender here), you don't explain any of the combat mechanics or numbers, and your video links are all busted. Even beyond that, you missed removing a few [speaker:] bits at the start of some lines, your mug shots are *huge*, and on a personal note I feel like you're transcribing too much and not showing more of the cutscenes.

That said, the underlying core here isn't bad. Godspeed you brave, brave fool.

E: I didn't even notice you were doing Lunatic/Classic. You definitely need to explain more of what's going on and what you're doing, or everyone is going to be hopelessly lost once the game really gets rolling.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Thanks for reading and giving constructive criticism. I intended to delve into mechanics, such as the Dragon Veins, and such a lot more in the next update seeing as this prologue was almost all dialogue and involved only two actions involving actually utilizing units which were just simple attacks. I'll make sure to show the map and make transitions from scene to scene more clear. Thank you for reading! I'm going back and making changes right now.

Mantis314 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 22, 2017

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I agreed with Artix on your mugshots being way too huge but I couldn't figure out a way to get them smaller. But you could do some work on at least making them transparent so that the black box doesn't take up so much space. It might take a bit of time but I suggest you try and get some transparent portraits to help clean the update up.

This one is yours:

This one is mine:

I'm going to see if I can meddle around with this to get something a bit smaller, but please consider transparent portraits. Spriter's resource seems to have most portraits clean, you can get them there.

E - I actually don't think you can go below 100 x 100 without losing too much quality. The art is real nice in this game.

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 22, 2017

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Your screenshots themselves are fuzzy as hell, so that would be another place to work on! If you post how you're going about the process, either here or in the techfort, then people can help you out with cleaning those up. There's certain places (like short animations, or the dragon vein) where gifs would be useful and again, that's something you can ask the techfort to help with if you don't know where to start.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Agreed with the crew above that a few posts in the Tech Support and a little proofreading will go a long ways, but I am excited for another FE LP! I don't know about audience participation in Lunatic Conquest, but if you can do it then more power to you.

Eagerly watching this!

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Thank you to all of you who've read this so far and given me advice. I've adjusted the post to reflect your suggestions. As time goes on I'm sure I'll get the hang of things. Once again, thanks so much for your suggestions and reading my work!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
If I can weigh in really quick, I'd recommend upsizing the screenshots. They look pretty tiny, and it's hard to see the action sometimes. You also might want to use more screens. For example, the part where Yukimura summons the reinforcements happens, but you didn't show it happening.

This is a really information heavy game, so one of the most important things is making it really clear exactly what's going on and how it works. You explained the stats at the start, but it was very quick, and I'd probably recommend making sure you restate them a few times for people who aren't super familiar with Fire Emblem games.

For example, when you showed the combat forecast of Corrin and that first axe enemy, maybe show their stats and explain why Corrin doubled (Her speed is >4 higher than his.) and why her attacks do 12 damage each. Which you did mention at the start, but it's easier to understand if you see it in action.

Of course, I'm not meaning to be discouraging, it's clear you enjoy the game and can talk about it, which is what really matters. A lot of the more technical stuff should come more naturally along the way. Also, Sandcastle and/or Tech Support Fort are really good resources, and can probably help you determine the best sizes for your shots and whatnot. Best of luck with this one, Lunatic Fates is a real fucker.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 22, 2017

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I'd really recommend closing this thread, running things by the Sandcastle, and then starting a fresh thread. There's a lot of stuff going on that makes your update hard to read or enjoy.

I'd really like to read this LP! But as it currently stands I can't.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Could you elaborate on what makes it hard to read or enjoy in your opinion?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sure!

- Screenshots are tiny and blurry, so I can't really see anything going on

- No linebreaks between lines of dialogue, so conversations are all clumped together. A single linebreak before each portrait will massively improve readability. You do do this sometimes, but I think it should be every time.

- Your single huge paragraph about the Weapon Triangle can easily be broken into three separate paragraphs (weapon range, standard weapon triangle, changes to the weapon triangle in this game) instead of just one big one. Much easier to read and follow (and not accidentally skip a line or re-read a line) if it's broken up a bit.

- A lot of the stuff Artix mentioned still applies - No looks at the map, no real explanation about any of your units or the enemies, no explanation at all of what is going on at the start of the game. Currently your first update goes 1) Attract screen video, 2) here is a character with no context, 3) here is a cutscene with no context (probably because video games, not because of something you did wrong), 4) ok now we are playing the game with no context. I am lost and confused.

So as the update currently stands, I can't see enough in the screenshots and I'm having trouble with the text and I have no idea what's going on at any part of it. Which is probably not what you're aiming for!

Again, I really recommend posting this in the Sandcastle, getting advice from more people, and getting help with the tech side of things. I would like this LP to be good and that's probably the best step to take for it.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
I've made more adjustments such as increasing the size of the screenshots and discussing mechanics in depth. I apologize for the size of the Astra gif being so small but due to it's length it was difficult to make it any larger. I will analyze maps more in the future but as for this prologue it is unnecessary due to the map not being fully utilized at this time. I have added character analysis to the update, only including the characters which were actually usable in this prologue. As for explaining the plot, there's not much I can do until the next update since the game throws you into this level with no explanation of what's taking place, but I assure you things will become more clear in the next update.

Mantis314 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 23, 2017

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Your first post is looking a lot better now!

There's just one more thing bugging me now and it's got to with the character descriptions. Something seemed weird and I'm not sure if you wanted to bring up certain parts of the system in the thread yet, so I'll just spoiler it.

For Corrin, you've got her personal growths up. But for Takumi, you've got his personal growths + class growths up. You might want to decide if you want to show off just their personal growths or (personal + class) growths.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Thank you a lot for pointing that out, Mysticblade! I've altered it to show only personal growths and will likely add a post dedicated to class growths in the future once reclassing and such has become available.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What everyone said.

Also, music links. Also also, better mechanics explanations, possibly separating "usual FE mechanics" and "stuff unique to Fates".

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Well, all that's really happened is the prologue. We'll get to the meat of the game eventually.

I didn't actually remember this prologue. Not very memorable at all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

How are you resizing your images? They seem a bit blurry. If you're using Irfanview, you should make sure the Resampling option is turned off.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
My only major criticism is that you need to proof-read (or have someone proof-read for you); most of the errors I spotted were grammatical rather than spelling, though.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
It's looking a lot better now but you if you clean up the res that would help. You mentioned that you are using the female avatar to keep from getting locked out of paralogues how on earth did they manage to goof that up. Also assuming that you do manage to get this running properly do you plan to show off the male avatar as well?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

cokerpilot posted:

It's looking a lot better now but you if you clean up the res that would help. You mentioned that you are using the female avatar to keep from getting locked out of paralogues how on earth did they manage to goof that up. Also assuming that you do manage to get this running properly do you plan to show off the male avatar as well?

You aren't intended to do all the paralogues in a single play-through. And you can still get them all with a male avatar if you marry one of the characters that can only marry the protagonist.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm currently on the go but will add in music links and proof-read once I get home. For those asking, I'm using GIMP to edit my images, and if anyone knows how I could improve image quality using it, please let me know! As for the male avatar, I wasn't planning on showing off much of him since gender has very little affect on the game aside from supports. Upon our avatar gaining a support conversation, I will show how things differ, if they differ. If our female avatar gets an A rank with another female then I will also reveal the extras associated with marriage if the avatar was to be male.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Mantis314 posted:

For those asking, I'm using GIMP to edit my images, and if anyone knows how I could improve image quality using it, please let me know!

Use only integer multipliers for scaling, and make sure you don't use any filters when you're doing that.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
If I may ask, what exactly is your work flow? What steps are you following to get the results you're getting? Me personally, here's what I do for snapshots...

SNAPSHOTS:

1) Take a snapshot off of the emulator

2) Use Batch Conversion on Ifranview to resize all the snapshots at once to 2x their original size (always use whole numbers; no fractions).

3) Use Rightload to upload all my snapshots at once (it's tedious doing them all one at a time).

------------------------------

Here's what I do for GIFs...

GIFs:

1) Record a movie of what I want to GIF in my emulator.

2) Open it up in Virtualdub.

3) Edit the video however I want to edit it (usually just trimming parts that I don't need)

4) Change the framerate to either 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 20, 25, or 50 (depends on how large the file is, and how important it is to have a good frame rate)

5) Export it as a GIF

6) Open it up in GIMP and Optimize the Animation (cuts down on file size)

7) Upload it to LPix

------------------------------

And here's what I do for character portraits...

1) Pull up the character's stat screens...

2) Turn off whatever background layers I need in order to get the area around the head to be a single color...

3) Take the snapshot

4) Open it up in GIMP

5) Press "4" to Zoom In with 800x magnification, press "R" to activate "Rectangle Select" (these are all hotkeys), and then select the exact area I want. In my case, I do 48 x 64, because I think that looks the best with the portraits used by the Fire Emblem game I'm currently LPing...

6) Use "Crop to Selection"

7) Press "U" to activate "Fuzzy Select". This selects the entire grey area that lies outside the bolded outline of the character portrait. After that, I select "Add Layer Mask"...

8) And then I select the "Selection" option while also putting a check in the "Invert" box.

9) I will then use the "Apply Layer Mask" option (otherwise, it doesn't really stick)...

10) And then I'll repeat Steps 7-9 to get rid of the other two grey areas; the one to the right of that portrait, and the one that's resting in the middle of one of this guy's bangs. I then upload it, and here's the result!

That's what I've been doing for the Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War LP I've been doing here...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726378&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

So yeah! Hope that helps with all the technical stuff! I'll get onto critiquing the actual commentary bit once I have time. Have a nice day, and God bless you!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

I dunno, it's gonna look fuzzy no matter what unless you go real small on the image. 800x480 is still probably too much for a 3ds game, though.

It's also probably a lot of extra work and for this game especially so who cares, but characters do have wildly different expressions instead of static like old FE games.

I am a happy prince
UNTIL SOMEONE TOOK MY HOTBURGER!!!

Here's a zip file of all the faces in the game (At least I think so): https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ADGBiV6RhAiZ5Cs&cid=A808992E9F7B0006&id=A808992E9F7B0006%21696&parId=root&action=locate

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

Fionordequester posted:

If I may ask, what exactly is your work flow? What steps are you following to get the results you're getting?

As of right now here is my current work flow:

Screenshots:
1. Record a video with OBS

2.Gather the desired screenshots by placing the video in Virtualdub

3.Place the screenshots into GIMP

4. Scale them to 800x481 (I'll definitely change the size I scale to to fit the integer rule you guys have mentioned)

5. Export them and upload them to LPix one by one (thank you for mentioning Rightload, I hadn't heard of it before but it sounds like it will be very useful for me)

GIFs
1. Place the aforementioned video in OBS

2. Create a selection and crop to selection.

3.Export as an animated GIF

4.Crop and resize using ezgif.com

For both of these processes I will try to revise my approach to be more efficient and I greatly appreciate your help! However for screenshots I simply pull them from Spriter's Resource, resize them in GIMP, and horizontally flip them. Here's a link to the portraits for Genealogy of the Holy War: https://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/fe4/sheet/202/ I hope you can use it to your benefit!

Tae posted:

I dunno, it's gonna look fuzzy no matter what unless you go real small on the image. 800x480 is still probably too much for a 3ds game, though.

The reason I resized to 800x480 was to make it bigger since many were saying it was too blurry and unreadable, and because I couldn't find any way to make the quality of the screenshots any better I increased the size (however I will attempt to remedy this at least somewhat with Aerdan's suggestion of removing filters), what size would you recommend making them?

Tae posted:

It's also probably a lot of extra work and for this game especially so who cares, but characters do have wildly different expressions instead of static like old FE games.

It will likely be a lot of work, but if it improves the quality of the LP I'm willing to put the time in, and thank you for the resource!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You really do need rightupload, because it lets you mass upload images. And here's a thing I did to save time because uploading images one by one is going to destroy you.

1) Take a screenshot of whatever you want to show

2) Put a number of that on your wordpad or whatever

3) Save all your screenshots for that update in one folder with the corresponding number.

4) When your done with the update, mass upload your images via Rightupload and start replacing the number on your wordpad thingie with the picture link

Pre-upload:

quote:

(1)
WORDS BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Post-Upload:

quote:

WORDS BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

same thing with your talking heads. Make a folder for each character, have a one word definition for each face and basically copy+paste the link once you're done with writing the update.

quote:

Dark Prince Default: I am a happy prince
Dark Prince ANGRY: UNTIL SOMEONE TOOK MY HOTBURGER!!!

to

I am a happy prince
UNTIL SOMEONE TOOK MY HOTBURGER!!!

It's a long start-up, but it reduces your update time in the future by hours upon hours.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Mantis314 posted:

The reason I resized to 800x480 was to make it bigger since many were saying it was too blurry and unreadable, and because I couldn't find any way to make the quality of the screenshots any better I increased the size (however I will attempt to remedy this at least somewhat with Aerdan's suggestion of removing filters), what size would you recommend making them?

Personally, for DS games, I usually go with 512x384 per screen.

The 3DS is wider, though, and when I tried resizing one of your screens to that number it looked a little smushed. This is at 560x336, and it seems readable to me, but you could probably go a little bigger:

As Fionord recommended, though, yeah, using Rightload for uploading, and if you can, IrfanView for mass cropping will speed up your workload a ton, so you don't have to do anything one by one. You can also set IrfanView to crop borders for you, and configure it to just grab the bottom or top screens (or both) for DS/3DS screenshots. I'd highly recommend trying it out so you don't have to do individual resizes, and a lot of people in Tech Support Fort can help you get it set up if you need it.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Mantis314 posted:

What difficulty are you playing this on?
I will be playing on Lunatic and Classic, to make things even more challenging on myself I will not be grinding in the paths where such options are available.

Sounds like you're making things pretty rough on yourself. If Fates Lunatic is as rough as Awakening Lunatic, then you're probably going to have pretty dull games focusing on a handful of uber-units once you get past the start. Lower difficulties make more strategies viable.

As far as production values go, I think you've gotten a lot of good criticism already. The GIFs you made look pretty nice, in my opinion. If you get a particularly crazy crit or series of fights, it's nice that you'll have the option to capture it that way.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

avoraciopoctules posted:

Sounds like you're making things pretty rough on yourself. If Fates Lunatic is as rough as Awakening Lunatic, then you're probably going to have pretty dull games focusing on a handful of uber-units once you get past the start. Lower difficulties make more strategies viable.

As far as production values go, I think you've gotten a lot of good criticism already. The GIFs you made look pretty nice, in my opinion. If you get a particularly crazy crit or series of fights, it's nice that you'll have the option to capture it that way.

I'm hoping it doesn't come to be that dull but if it does, Fates has the option to change difficulty mid-playthrough.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
I've once again adjusted the sizes of the screenshots, adjusting them to be slightly larger than the example provided by LordHippoman. As Tae suggested, I changed the character pictures to reflect the expression each character presents in the game when saying the associated line. I've added music links as well.

Aerdan posted:

My only major criticism is that you need to proof-read (or have someone proof-read for you); most of the errors I spotted were grammatical rather than spelling, though.

I've proof-read my post and found a few errors which I remedied, however if anyone notices any other grammatical or spelling errors please alert me to them so this post can be the best it can be!

I feel as if I've explained the core mechanics shown by this prologue pretty well, but if there's any mechanic explanation anyone believes to be unclear, let me know and I'll fix that as well. Of course, there's a multitude of mechanics which were not necessarily utilized or exhibited in the prologue that will be examined in detail as we move forward.

GIFs will likely remain at the size they are simply due to the file size restriction on them. However, if you guys prefer I could simply turn whatever would be GIFs into very short youtube videos, let me know your thoughts on that!

If anybody has any new suggestions please let me know. I feel as if I've addressed all the previous ones to the best of my ability by editing the post, and I'll admit I'm quite proud of how things have turned out, if not for the quality itself than how much time I've put into it. Thank you all for your help in getting me this far in such a short time!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

avoraciopoctules posted:

Fates Lunatic isn't actually that bad, I've only ever played Birthright on it and the endgame kinda shits the bed by burying you under sheer numbers, but it's still Birthright so the enemies just aren't very good on the whole while you have units like Oboro and Scarlet and fun tools like the Not-Reavers and Guard Naginata.

Conquest Lunatic, from what little I've seen, is a whole other can of worms and best left to a pro FE player to show off. Enemies aren't any stronger though, so I don't think units are just awful by default like the initial band in Awakening that can easily carry you to endgame on Hard (well maybe not Virion) but are just the worst on Lunatic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Enemies are definitely stronger and they have unlimited staves lategame.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Just want to say that everything is looking much better! I appreciate the work you did to improve things.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

biosterous posted:

Just want to say that everything is looking much better! I appreciate the work you did to improve things.

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate the kind words. I have the second update more or less ready to release but if there's still any major issues you feel I should correct, please let me know!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I second his statement. I was GOING to go over your post to critique all the commentary mistakes I saw before...aaaaaand then you fixed em all up before I could do so. Good work! This looks precisely how I'd like a 3DS Fire Emblem LP to look! Good luck, yo! You're definitely headed places :) !

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
A lot of stuff we can't really comment on (map overview, unit selections, how you're going to explain what actually goes on in any given map, etc) until we hit a chapter that actually has that poo poo. If you're happy with the prologue now, let's a get a move on with the game proper.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Chapter 1: Nohr

Quiet Burn

Wow, the entire prologue was just a dream! What a novel story-telling device!

Hrmmm...What are you talking about? It's still dark outside.

Listen well, Princess. It may be dark, but it is indeed morning. You have practice today.

I have taken the liberty of readying your armor, and, er, pounding out the dents.

Your brother is a fearsome opponent, is he not?

Which one? According to the prologue, we've got a few.

Ugh. Fine. I'm still not completely awake though...

Oh, we can help you with that! Felicia, would you please assist me?

Sure thing!

Waauuugh! Cold cold cold! I'm awake! Totally awake now!

That's how we deal with slugabeds in the Ice Tribe!

*sigh* Trust me, I know. I wish I could have finished the dream I was having though...

Interesting. Do tell-what kind of dream was it?

It was...strange. Some people who look like Hoshidans kept calling me their sister. But all of my brothers and sisters are here in Nohr...

Ah, Lady Corrin, perhaps we should talk about your dream another time?

It's time for you to get going, milady. Prince Xander is waiting for you!

So the prologue was just an extremely vivid dream it seems. Additionally, Xander is said to be our brother. More importantly, we have three butlers who do whatever we ask them to, and a badass old man.

That's our sister for you. You won't beat the strongest knight in Nohr by sleeping all day, Corrin!

Giving up so soon, Corrin? I expect more of you. You are a princess of Nohr! Pick up your sword and try again.

We're royalty now? Cool, where's my golden chalice and crown?

But, Xander, I-

We train like this so that we can defend ourselves from our enemies. Father has been tracking your progress. If you can't land a hit on me today...he may never permit you to leave the Northern Fortress. Ever.

What?! D-did he really say that? That's insane!

Motivated, are we? Then use that fire to best me in battle, little Princess. If you would see the outside world beyond the view from your window, defeat me.

It seems we don't get out much. Maybe Corrin is more relatable than I thought.

Prove that all of the time I've devoted to training you has not be in vain!

Here's our first time actually moving a unit. Movement in Fire Emblem is based on tiles, and each unit has a movement stat that allows them to move a certain amount of tiles in a single turn. Movement can be increased by reclassing, pairing up with certain classes, or by using a rare item known as Boots, which grant +1 movement. The blue tiles are locations you can move to, and the red tiles bordering them show you the farthest places your attack can reach, taking into account all weapons in your inventory. For healers, there are green tiles which show the range of rods and staves.

Hey, we do have a crown! Right there in the top-left corner! Xander does as well, as do all characters with dragon ancestry. This crown simply alerts you to who is able to use Dragon Veins

Xander's going to hit quite hard here, however his strength isn't very good compared to our defense. As we have 6 defense we make his strength effectively worth 1 damage. This 1 damage, in addition to his Bronze Sword's might (4), his skills Chivalry (+2 to damage dealt and -2 to damage taken when enemy is at max HP) and Elbow Room (+3 damage if on a space with no terrain effects), and lastly his weapon rank bonus from having a C in swords (+1 Attack) result in him doing 11 damage to us.

Also as a quick note the boots symbol on the stats screen tells you how much movement a character has. Currently, Corrin has 5 and Xander has a dash, meaning he's unable to move.

Quiet Burn (Roar)

You swing timidly, without resolve. You must genuinely try to kill me.

*pant*...*pant*...

Hmm, looks like that wound needs attention. In that case...

Ah! There was a Dragon Vein here?

Yes. You should have sensed it as well. The blood of dragons flows in your veins, as it does in all royals. You must learn to harness this draconic power wherever you may find it.

I guess we, along with our siblings, are descendants of dragons. I'm not sure I want to know how it went from dragons to humans.

Heal your wounds, Corrin, then find the courage to come at me again.

Good. Now that you've recovered some of your strength, try again!

As some of you may have noticed, when we first attacked Xander we only dealt 8 damage, however we just hit for 10 damage. How did this happen? Well, as previously mentioned, Xander has a skill known as Chivalry which gives him +2 to damage dealt and -2 to damage taken when his opponent is at full health. Since we knocked a bit of his health out, we'll be able to hit him harder ever so slightly.

Level Up!

Our first level up! And it's not too bad either. Strength is of course great to have, Speed will help us get double hits, and Skill will improve our accuracy. Resistance is good for us specifically because our resistance and our growths for it are pretty horrible.

Level ups take place upon a character gaining 100 exp, the generally excepted abbreviation for experience points. Exp can be gained in a few ways: dealing damage to an enemy, defeating an enemy, healing, or singing(similar to dancing in Awakening or play by bards in previous games).When your unit is at the same level as their opponent, they will gain 10 exp for dealing damage and 30 for a kill. These numbers will rise if the enemy's level is greater than yours and fall if your level is greater than your enemy's.

I healed again, just in case somehow I miss the 99% chance to hit.

We attack again, this time for 11 damage thanks to our Strength gained in the level up.

Well done, Corrin.

Chapter Clear

And with that, we've cleared another stage only to be welcomed by more dialogue.

Quiet Burn

Thanks, Xander. I couldn't have done it without your, uh, tough love.

I disagree. I believe you have natural talent. Some day, you could be the greatest warrior in all of Nohr.

Now you're just teasing me.

You know me, Corrin. I never joke about serious matters. I mean what I say. You could be the one to bring light to our kingdom so long shrouded in darkness.

Xander...

Typical. You know that true strength is more than simple swordplay, right?

Leo, he didn't mean-

Calm yourself, little brother. You really are competitive to a fault. As I've always said, you're a talented mage with formidable magical abilities.

Hmm. Well, just remember that pointy metal sticks are not the only path to power.

Oh, that reminds me of something I've been meaning to tell you, Leo.

Something important enough to derail this conversation?

Well...your collar is inside out.

What?!

It would appear someone got dressed while still half-asleep.

Ugh! Wh-why didn't you say something earlier?!

Haha, sorry, Leo. But that sort of thing is what makes you so lovable.

Absolutely.

Well they all seem to get along swell!

Hmph...

Are you all right, Corrin? Did you get hurt at all during practice? If you did, let me know right away so I can take extra-special care of you...

I'm perfectly fine, Camilla. As always, thanks for your concern.

I was worried about you too, Corrn!

I know, Elise. You wouldn't visit me all the time if you didn't care so much, right?

Heehee... Do you like it when I visit?

Of course! I'm not allowed to leave this fortress, so visits are all I look forward to!

Yaaay! I'm glad to hear that. Spending time with my sister makes me so happy!

I love you so much! I love you more than anything in the whole, wide world!

Elise, when do you intend to behave like the adult that you technically are?

Well, I for one think her cheer is a good complement to this gloomy kingdom, Leo.

Well said, Camilla. Every one of you is so dear to me. You've all been so patient and kind since I lost my memory... I don't even mind being quarantined when I'm with you. I'm so grateful to have you all.

We are grateful to have you as well. But, Corrin, I have some-

Let me tell her, Xander! We have wonderful news, Corrin! Father asked us to take you back to the capital!

Really?! Does that mean...

Yes. It means you can finally leave this drafty fortress. You must have been so lonely all this time, separated from the rest of the world... But now you'll be free!

Isn't that wonderful?!

It...it really is. Thanks, Elise. Wow... I'm finally leaving this place... Maybe now I can join you all as a solider, fighting for Nohr?

There will be plenty of time to discuss the details with Father. Let us depart.

I hear you can finally leave the fortress. You must be very happy, Lady Corrin. Gunter has asked me to go with you to the capital so I can look after your horses.

Glad to hear it! I'd miss you if you weren't coming along too.

Lilith, are the horses ready?

Yes, milord. Everything is ready, and the horses seem exited for the trip. They are all very fond of Lady Corrin. Probably from all her time in the stables...

Our Corrin does love animals. Such a kindhearted soul... Why, she even nursed an injured baby bird back to health one time!

Ah...

Lilith, is something wrong?

Oh...no. It's nothing.

Isn't it obvious, Corrin? Lilith is sad because she's going to miss you!

Miss me? But she's coming with us.

Oh, right! Well then, I bet she's sad 'cause she won't have you all to herself anymore. You've always been especially fond of our sister, haven't you, Lilith?

I, er-

Don't hold back your feelings, Lilith!

As gripping as all this is, we should be on our way. We mustn't keep Father waiting.

Yes, let's go!

Flora, you and Felicia will remain here to watch over the fortress. Jakob and I will accompany Lady Corrin. We may be gone for some time. Take good care of this place.

Of course! You may rely on us.

Safe travels, Lady Corrin!

Thank you. I hope to see both of you again soon...just not here!

And I hope to see you again soon, here! Thank you to everyone who gave me constructive criticism so I could make this LP reach its full potential. If there's any sort of error with this post, please let me know and I'll fix it as soon as I can! I'm looking forward to Chapter 2 a lot since it's the first level that actually makes you think in order to succeed, I hope you're looking forward to it as well!

Mantis314 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 25, 2017

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Well, I'm still here...

Boot only give you + 1 Move in this game.

Xander's personal is active when the enemy is at full HP, not when he's at full HP.

Aside from that, nothing stands out too much. I'm keen for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Thanks for clearing that up! The Boots I was unsure about already but I never would've noticed my error with the Chivalry skill without you pointing it out. And thanks for reading! I'm glad you're looking forward to the rest of the LP!

• Locked thread