Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Chapter 1's introduction of the characters is kind of a mixed bag, like most of the character writing in Fates. Leo and Xander feel like actual siblings, while Elise and Camilla have a hamfisted "THEY LOVE CORRIN TOO! LOOK AT HOW MUCH THEY LOVE CORRIN!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Wow, you really overhauled that first update. It's looking a lot better now, as is your second, so I'd say the effort paid off. I forgot how dialogue heavy these first few chapters are.

Now we can get to the true Fire Emblem experience.

Mantis314 posted:

I healed again, just in case somehow I miss the 99% chance to hit.

This exact situation.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
If it isn't 100%, it's a miss.

Unless it's the enemy, in which case anything higher than 0% is a hit.

See: Axe Magnet Fir.

I look forward to seeing who becomes the God Unit and who disappoints us at every turn :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

See: Axe Magnet Fir.

I look forward to seeing who becomes the God Unit and who disappoints us at every turn :allears:

Spoilers: Corrin will disappoint us at every turn.

Her stats might be good, though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Your updates are looking really good now, I'll be following along. Maybe in the more dialogue heavy sections you can have a screenshot here and there to break it up, I think it makes it look nice. Otherwise, good luck, SSLPs can be hard work, but are very satisfying when it all comes together.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

Chapter 1's introduction of the characters is kind of a mixed bag, like most of the character writing in Fates. Leo and Xander feel like actual siblings, while Elise and Camilla have a hamfisted "THEY LOVE CORRIN TOO! LOOK AT HOW MUCH THEY LOVE CORRIN!"

To be fair, this is pretty much how Elise acts all the time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Shei-kun posted:

Which why hitrates cap at 1% and 99% in Thracia 776 :rolldice:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair, this is pretty much how Elise acts all the time.

It's also why she's the best character in Conquest. All kinds of dumb poo poo will happen, but Elise will never leave your side. :colbert:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Artix posted:

It's also why she's the best character in Conquest. All kinds of dumb poo poo will happen, but Elise will never leave your side. :colbert:

Don't lie, Artix.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Logicblade posted:

Don't lie, Artix.

She will never, ever leave your side. :colbert:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Always Trust Elise

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

Shei-kun posted:

I'm excited to see this as well. I'm hoping the audience participation will lead to me using characters I'm unfamiliar with and lead to interesting pairings. For those curious, the path branch occurs at Ch. 6 so we have a little bit more before we get into the real meat of the game but I'm doing my best to get us there as fast as possible while keeping the updates quality. As far as supports, I'd like to wait until all the characters (besides Avatar-exclusives) have been recruited within a route before deciding. However since most people following this LP seem familiar with the game I may have some supports decided beforehand. If you would like to recommend any A+ or S supports for the LP, feel free to post your request but put it as a spoiler! If anyone agrees with a suggested pairing just say you agree with the original suggester or post the same thing in spoilers. Although many people reading this thread are likely already aware of who's available in each path, I'd like to think someone reading this may be unaware and I wouldn't want to ruin anything for them.

Ch. 2 is nearing completion. Thank you all so much for reading and I hope you continue to enjoy this LP!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

For clarity, when you say choosing supports, I presume you mean S rank supports, right? Since there is no support limit in the 3DS games, there is no reason to not show a non-S support if you get one.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I'm curious as to how much audience participation you'll be able to handle in Conquest where even on hard, it's pretty drat clear who is usable and who is complete dross.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

MegaZeroX posted:

For clarity, when you say choosing supports, I presume you mean S rank supports, right? Since there is no support limit in the 3DS games, there is no reason to not show a non-S support if you get one.

Choosing supports involves choosing S Supports as well as A+ rank supports. I will show off any supports gained throughout the LP since, as you said, there's no reason not to.

SC Bracer posted:

I'm curious as to how much audience participation you'll be able to handle in Conquest where even on hard, it's pretty drat clear who is usable and who is complete dross.

It will definitely be an experience, for Conquest (depending on the map) I'll likely have certain characters picked by me who are set in stone to fight and have the remainder decided by the audience.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

Eh, on hard I'd say it's more a matter of some people being the strictly better version of the class. Like how you could raise Beruka but the character joins with a better prepromoted version in the same chapter.

Mantis314 posted:

Choosing supports involves choosing S Supports as well as A+ rank supports. I will show off any supports gained throughout the LP since, as you said, there's no reason not to.

It will definitely be an experience, for Conquest (depending on the map) I'll likely have certain characters picked by me who are set in stone to fight and have the remainder decided by the audience.

How heavily do you intend to use the child units? There are a fair amount of pairings that are good for the gen 1 cast but produce a really garbage gen 2 unit (and in fact if you want to make all the gen 2 units viable you borderline have to make some pairings). Also it seems a bit early to start voting on that stuff.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Am i right in saying you cant coast on good bases in awakening/fates? I know the GBA games can be done with 0 growths, but with the stat/level/skill inflation im not sure.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can't coast on bases in awakening outside of normal, and lunatic conquest basically lowers your stats by 6 across the board every turn.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Fear the 1% critical chance. It exists to annoy you.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

and sometimes the 1% procs! and then you grumble and reset the map. I think I liked Conquest the most of the Fates trio, the combat and strategy were really good across the board. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this LP

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

akulanization posted:

How heavily do you intend to use the child units? There are a fair amount of pairings that are good for the gen 1 cast but produce a really garbage gen 2 unit (and in fact if you want to make all the gen 2 units viable you borderline have to make some pairings). Also it seems a bit early to start voting on that stuff.

I'll likely use each child at least once in the chapter after they're recruited just to show them off. Alternatively, I may just show them off in a skirmish on the map immediately before the next chapter for Birthright and Revelations, but will likely utilize the ones we get at least once in Conquest just to show them off(Note: Conquest has no form of grinding besides DLC, so it is unlikely we will see all of the children from this path right away). Aside from those initial uses it will be audience votes which determine which (or if) child units are used. And I agree that it may be a bit early, but I feel that allowing for suggestions and getting an idea of what people want will make achieving the desired Supports easier and more efficient since I can tailor my strategies ahead of time to involve those pairings.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Chapter 2: Gift of Ganglari

Dusk Falls

That's a nice cape, will we inherit it?

Yes, Father. Long have I wished to see you and visit Castle Krakenburg again. I feel like I’m dreaming…

It is only thanks to your diligence that you are here. I am told you are now a warrior almost on par with Xander. You finally possess the strength to be an instrument of Nohr’s power in the world.

But, Father, will she be all right outside of the fortress?

I worry about that as well. Isn’t it dangerous for Corrin to live outside the fortress’s magical barrier?

I appreciate your concern, but I earned my way here and I’m ready to fight.

Corrin, as you know, Nohr is at war with the eastern kingdom of Hoshido.

Yes, Father. I have heard as much.

We of the royal family are descendants of the ancient gods, the First Dragons. As inheritors of that divine strength, we conquer those who oppose us with ease. One who learns to wield that power can destroy an entire army of common troops. Xander, Camilla, and Leo have already shown that they possess this power. I expect no less from you.

At least Elise has time to learn.

I am aware of your expectations, Father. And I have trained every day to become more like my siblings.

Hmm…you show promise. But you will need a suitable weapon in order to serve Nohr.

That's a pretty cool-looking sword if you ask me.

Wow…

This is Ganglari, a sword infused with magic from another world. With this sword at your side, you will crush the Hoshidan army with ease.

Thank you for this generous gift, Father.

Hmm… Generous indeed.

Now, let us see you put that sword to its proper use…

Yes, sire!

Prisoners?

These are prisoners from our most recent skirmish with Hoshido. I want to see your power with my own eyes. Use that sword to strike them down.

Jakob, will you join us well?

Lady Corrin, there is no need for you to soil your hands with this filth. Please relax and leave the fighting to us. Afterward, I will prepare you some tea.

I am Rinkah! Daughter of the Flame Tribe’s honorable chieftain. What is your name, Nohrian princess?

I’m Corrin.

Corrin… Can it be?

Huh? Have you heard of me?

I am Kaze, a ninja of Hoshido. Show me what you can do.

Kill them all.

Is that…

Hm? Is something the matter, milady?

I feel…something emanating from the ground. Could it be…

Extraordinary! No debris field can stand up to your mighty lineage!

Heh... Well done.

Excellent plan, milady-now we can hide in there and ambush our foes.

This is no mock battle-a mistake here could cost you your life.

Milady, I'm well trained in the dagger─effective both up close and at range. I can even attack foes hiding behind walls, which may prove useful.

Remember your training. Each weapon has strengths and weaknesses. You would do well to consider them before you attack.

I’m sure you know this, milady, but it’s useful to stay close to your allies. If you fight side by side, you can help each other in battle/combat.

Jakob brings up a major mechanic of Fates, which plays off of the pairing system of Awakening. Rather than pair up with a unit and gain their stat bonuses as well as chances to negate damage and have your partner attack, you have to choose one or the other. By placing units adjacent to one another, they'll attack together, however if they pair up on the same tile you'll get their stat bonuses and such (we'll discuss this more deeply when it becomes available next chapter). When units are next to each other it is known as Attack Stance, and the attack itself is known as a Dual Strike. As long as two units are adjacent to each other with the unit engaged in combat not being paired with anyone else, Dual Strike will always trigger (however it still has a chance to miss if not at 100% hit). The attack done by a supporting unit in a Dual Strike is less than the normal damage output of that unit.

This chapter is pretty easily beaten by using the healing tiles found in the center of the map, within the grey square. This area has 3 entrances on the left, right, and bottom. If you stand in the entrance you can block off enemies from entering this safety zone, but the unit blocking would in turn recover no health. To allow all units to heal, I block off the left and right entrances by standing in front of the entrances rather than in them. I use Corrin and Gunter as my living obstacles and keep Jakob in the center, next to both of them. By doing this, Jakob will perform a Dual Strike with both characters should they be attacked, additionally he can heal them should it be necessary. Lastly, Jakob has the skills Gentilhomme (-2 damage to female allies within a 2-tile radius) and Evasive Partner (personal skill, Avoid +15 and damage received -3 if the Avatar is the lead unit), making him very useful to Corrin in this position.

I'd like to quickly mention the tiles with gray diamonds on them, which alert you to Pillars, a form of terrain with an effect. When standing on a pillar, a unit receives +1 to their defense and +20 avoid. These can be very useful, however for this chapter they're not of much use.

Quickly, I'd like to discuss Corrin's Nohr Princess class and compare it to the Lord class of previous games.

Here are the class growths for the Nohr Princess in Fates:
code:
HP      Str     Mag     Skill   Speed   Luck    Defense Resistance
15%	15%	10%	10%	10%	10%	10%	5%
Class growth rates are simply added to a character's base growth rates to determine the actual probability the unit will level up in a skill. Thus, changing classes will affect your units' growth rates.

Here are the class growths for the Lord class in previous games:
code:
                           HP	Str	Mag	Skill	Speed	Luck	Defense	Resistance	
Mystery of the Emblem	   30%	30%	--	30%	30%	0%	30%	30%		
The Binding Blade	   90%	45%	--	40%	45%	40%	15%	12%		
Fire Emblem	           90%	45%	--	40%	45%	40%	15%	15/12/20% (Eliwood/ Hector/ Lyn)		
The Sacred Stones	   90%	45%	--	40%	45%	40%	15%	15/20% (Ephraim/ Eirika)	
Path of Radiance	   90%	45%	20%	40%	35%	40%	15%	20%		
Shadow Dragon	           40%	15%	-10%	20%	20%	0%	5%	-5%		
New Mystery of the Emblem  40%	15%	-10%	20%	20%	0%	5%	-5%		
Awakening	           40%	20%	0%	20%	20%	0%	10%	5%
Looking at this, we see that Nohr Princess has the absolute worst HP growth and Strength growth of all the Fire Emblem main character classes. We have the second best Magic growth which is pretty useless for now. The rest of our class growths are very low as well. As with most Lords in the series, we are able to wield swords.

Our Ganglari has a might of 7, a crit of 5, a hit of 85, and a +5 to our Dodge. As we've discussed before, might affects the damage we deal to our enemies.

As you'd expect, hit affects hit rate, playing a role in this equation:
code:
(Skill) x 3/2 + (Luck) x 1/2 + (Weapon Hit Bonus) + (Weapon Rank Bonus) + (Class Bonus)
(We'll discuss class bonuses at a later time since it has no effect on our current units).

This number is then plugged into this equation as Unit Raw Hit Rate:
code:
(Unit Raw Hit Rate) - (Ineffective Weapon Hit Drop) + (Ally Support Hit Bonus) + (Enemy Raw Avoid Rate) - (Enemy Support Avoid Bonus) -
 (Enemy Terrain Effect) + (Weapon Triangle Effects)
Ineffective Weapon Hit Drop refers to the penalty one suffers for using a weapon such as a Beast Killer on a non-beast unit.

Ally Support Hit bonuses get messy, here's a chart that should help:
code:
No Support Rank: (For units with No Support Rank, it doesn't matter which unit you choose to go into Attack Stance with by hitting the R button)
  0 adjacent units = No Bonus
  1 adjacent units = Hit +10
  2 adjacent units = Hit +14
  3 adjacent units = Hit +18
  4 adjacent units = Hit +22
No Support Rank (but main unit is Paired Up with a C rank):
  0 adjacent units = Ddg +5
  1 adjacent units = Hit +4, Ddg +5
  2 adjacent units = Hit +8, Ddg +5
  3 adjacent units = Hit +12, Ddg +5
  4 adjacent units = Hit +16, Ddg +5
1 Unit with C Rank Support: (For units with C+ Support Rank, it does matter which unit you choose to go into Attack Stance with by using the R button. 
In this example Orochi was used, who gives Hit +15 at C Rank)
  0 adjacent units = No Bonus
  1 adjacent C Rank Orochi= Hit +15
  1 adjacent C Rank Orochi + 1 more adjacent No Rank unit= Hit +19 when in Attack Stance with Orochi, Hit +16 otherwise
  1 adjacent C Rank Orochi + 2 more adjacent No Rank units= Hit +23 when in Attack Stance with Orochi, Hit +20 otherwise
  1 adjacent C Rank Orochi + 3 more adjacent No Rank units= Hit +27 when in Attack Stance with Orochi, Hit +24 otherwise
(Support bonuses vary from character to character, as well as by support level).

As you may imagine, the Enemy Support Evade Bonus operates the same way, except without taking into account support ranks seeing as enemies don't have those.

The equation for a critical hit is:

code:
Critical Rate = (Skill - 4) x 1/2 + (Weapon Critical Bonus) + (Class Bonus)
Which is then plugged into this equation is Raw Critical Hit Rate:

code:
Critical Rate = (Raw Critical Rate) + (Support) - (Enemy Raw Dodge Rate) - (Support) - (Terrain Bonus)
The last thing I'd like to mention about weapons is that, aside from staves and rods, weapons no longer have a durability. In previous Fire Emblem games, weapons had a limited amount of uses before they
broke, however this was removed in Fates. To keep things balanced, the stronger weapons in Fates negatively affect the wielder by lowering their stats. We'll discuss how each weapon affects the user as
the weapons show up.

With that said, let's compare Corrin's stats to those of our new recruits: Gunter and Jakob.

Old man Gunter falls into a long-running Fire Emblem archetype known as Jeigan/Jagen. Named after an experienced warrior from the very first Fire Emblem, the archetype has come to describe units who are very powerful early on, but become less useful as time passes due to their poor growth rates. They're commonly of the classes Great Knight or Paladin.

Gunter falls into the class of Great Knight, able to wield axes, lances, and swords. Here are the class growths for Great Knight's in Fates:
code:
HP   Str   Mag   Skill   Speed   Luck   Defense   Resistance
20%  20%   0%    10%     5%      5%     20%       0% 
Honestly though, looking at the number Gunter isn't much better than us, aside from his Skill, Luck and Defense. We're close to him for Strength, Speed, and Resistance, and we beat him in Magic (despite being unable to use it). However, his high weapon ranks, especially that C in Lances, will be beneficial to us.

Jakob is a butler, the male counterpart to maids. Both of these classes were introduced in Fates and wield the new addition of Daggers/Shurikens, as well as staves. We're on par with Jakob for Strength, Speed and Defense. However he's got us beat in everything else, especially Skill and Luck. As of now, we're definitely living up to our Bane of being unlucky.

Additionally, some characters in Fates such as Jakob are pre-promoted, meaning they join you as a promoted class. Jakob's Butler class and it's counterpart Maid are promoted versions of the Troubadour class,a class previously only available to female units. Jakob himself has been altered to act as a level 1 basic unit despite being of a promoted class, as such he gains more experience than a promoted unit and his level cap was adjusted to 40 to reflect this.

Butlers can also use staves to heal wounds. Please inform me immediately should you become injured.

This is the positioning I was referring to earlier with Jakob in the center.

It's also important to note that the magenta-colored tiles (displayed by pressing X on your 3DS) alert you to the range of your enemies' attacks. As you can see, both Corrin and Gunter are within these magenta tiles so they're able to be attacked in the enemy's next turn. However, Jakob is perfectly safe for this turn.

Dusk Falls (Fire)

Your death need not come all at once.

Let's talk about daggers and their Hoshidan counterpart of shurikens. These weapons are interesting in that they can decrease the stats of the enemies they hit. The stat decrease changes based on the weapon being used, and each stat that's been decreased will recover 1 point per turn. This weapon type is also known for having low might, making them poor for attacking enemies with high defense, but useful forfinishing off opponents on their last leg or taking on an extremely tanky enemy at the beginning of a turn, decreasing their stats, so the rest of your units can have a field day. The affects of shurikens areable to stack if you use them with multiple units, able to lower an enemy's stats greatly. However, the same can be done to you.

And now it's our turn!

Level Up!

The HP and Res here is negligible, but Speed and Skill are always good to have in my book.

I was considering attacking Kaze with Jakob, but ultimately decided against it. While Kaze would be hurt quite a bit, so would Jakob. And on the off-chance the game chose to attack the weak, low-health Jakob over the helpless-to-ranged-attacks Gunter ( who was already suffering) , I chose a different route.

By healing Gunter, I've helped his chance of survival quite a bit considering he was weakened by Kaze's shurikens. In addition to that, I've positioned Jakob to aid Gunter in attacking Kaze should Gunter be attacked, and vice versa.

This Hoshidan and Kaze attack us for 3 damage each.

We end up beating him, but not without losing a bit of HP.

This guy throws his Kodachi at us and does 4 damage to us, luckily Rinkah missed her follow-up.

The Kodachi is a sword able to be used at both a close range and a distance. It grants the user Spd +1, and Def and Res -1 when equipped. It's usable at weapon rank D for swords, it has a might of 5 and a hit of 85. The kodachi cannot trigger offensive skills, hit an enemy twice, or land a critical hit. Lastly, it gives -5 to your speed when equipped, making it much easier for enemies to double you.

In Rinkah's inventory, we see her wielding a Throwing Club. Similar to the Kodachi, it can be used at both a close range and a distance, however it is required to have a weapon rank of D in axes rather than swords. It has a might of 6 and a hit of 70. Like the Kodachi, and most other ranged weapons that belong to a primarily close-range weapon class, the Throwing Club is incapable of making critical hits, triggering offensive skills, or hitting twice. Lastly, it drops your speed by 5 making it easier for enemies to double you.

I bit the bullet with this one, even though it would bring us down to 2 health, it'd beat Rinkah and we're on a healing space so we'd be fine.

Rinkah ended up missing which was an unexpected but welcome gift!

However we missed one of our attacks, though 6 damage isn't bad.

Plus, it'll allow Jakob to gain some experience.

Nohrian scum…

And with that, Rinkah is down.

Wait, no! Past me, what are you doing?!

Is this goodbye?

Kaze attacks us, but the game pardons my stupidity and allows Gunter to live another day by having one of Kaze's shurikens miss.

This guy throws another Kodachi at us for a measly 1 damage.

It's nice that Corrin's speed prevents her from getting hit twice by Kaze (it's all thanks to that last level up!). You may notice Kaze's speed is blue, meaning it's increased due to an item he has either in his inventory or equipped. In this case he has the Iron Shuriken, which gives him +2 to speed. This weapon has a might of 4, a hit of 85, a crit of 0, and is usable at weapon rank D for shurikens. Additionally, since it's a shuriken, it causes a stat drop of Def -3, Res -3, and Mag -2.

When I first moved Gunter I had him assisting Corrin in mind. However after looking at his chance to hit, I'm not expecting Gunter to do much. But it's still worth a shot. We also get a bonus from Gunter's personal skill Forceful Partner (Hit Rate +15 and Attack +3 if the Avatar is the lead unit).

And surprisingly, Gunter lands his Dual Strike, finishing off Kaze! Guess the old man's got some fight left in him!

Level Up!

So this is how it ends…

The Strength, Speed, and Defense is great. The Luck is welcome as well considering how little we have of it.

It's nice to see a 100% chance to hit. Even moreso one that's guaranteed to kill.

Level Up!

A pretty disappointing level up. Speed is nice, HP is all right, but Jakob's got enough luck as is.

Chapter Clear

Phew! They’re really tough, aren’t they? I hope all Hoshidans aren’t this strong.

Don’t just stand there, idiot girl. Finish them!

But. Father…they’re beaten. You want me to execute helpless prisoners?

You dare question me?! I order you to kill them!

No! It’s wrong!

I won’t argue the point any further.

Gods!

Hm?

Unbelievable…

You would defy me directly, Corrin?!

Father, please forgive her! She doesn’t yet understand our situation…

Fine. Xander, you kill them. And if anyone gets in your way, kill them too.

Ngh.

DO IT! KILL THEM ALL!

No, Xander. I won’t let you do this!

Why do you refuse, Corrin? You know the Hoshidans are our sworn enemies.

I know, but…this is different. These people can’t fight anymore. Why not show mercy?

Please, Corrin, don’t fight him… My dear, sweet Corrin…

No no no! Leo, what should we do?

Father, I have dispatched our enemies on behalf of my softhearted sister.

Hmph.

I only ask that you would be merciful in your punishment of her…

Enough! I will consider the matter later.

King Garon then stomps away to who knows where.

Leo! How could you?! They were beaten! There was no reason to execute them!

Agreed. Now hush.

Leo, did you-

Enough, both of you. The battle is over.

Mark my words, Corrin… One day, an act of kindness may be the death of you.

Perhaps, but if I’m kind. I will die without regrets.

…Well said. Guard! I would examine the prisoners’ belongings. Bring their remains to my quarters.

Yes, Your Highness!

Leo, your spell…

Was only enough to weaken them, yes. I should have followed Father’s orders.

But Camilla and Elise always make such a fuss when I do anything to upset you.

Thank you, Leo. I’m sorry for teasing you about your collar.

*sigh* You can repay me by not mentioning it again.

That was great, Brother!

It was, but I doubt this will be the last we hear of this. Father never forgets a slight.

Listen well. It is only my sister's kind heart that has bought your freedom. Disappear now, lest you be spotted by our king.

Tch. I am not a hostage to be freed. You said your name is Corrin?

When next we meet, I will make you pay for this humiliation!

I was hoping the next time we met, it could be as friends.

Softhearted fool! I am a Hoshidan warrior. You do not understand what you suggest.

I understand that right now Hoshido and Nohr are at war. But I’m trying to plan ahead for the day the war is over and we can live in peace.

I’ve heard rumors of a sheltered Nohrian princess who knows nothing of the world. I see those rumors are true. If we do meet again, the world will have no doubt taught you the error your ways.

Characters

Gunter
Starting Class: Great Knight
Initial Abilities:
-Forceful Partner(Personal Ability): If the Avatar is the lead unit, Avatar’s Hit rate +15, damage +3
-Shelter: Gives user the Shelter command, which makes an adjacent ally the user’s support unit
-Elbow Room: When user fights on a tile with no terrain effects, damage +3 during battles

Base Stats(Growth Rates)
HP: 24(15%) Spd: 8(0%)
Str: 10(5%) Lck: 9(15%)
Mag: 0(0%) Def: 10(5%)
Skill: 8(5%) Res: 4(5%)

Bio: Serves Corrin. A knight who has served the Nohr for a long time. He is always calm, and gives off a strict impression to other people.

My thoughts: Gunter is useful in the early game when he's one of your only units. After that, he's hot trash. He doesn't have any growths over 15% as shown above and the ones he does have 15% for hardly help his abilities as a fighter. His initial weapon ranks are useful, but you'll want to get rid of Gunter as soon as possible due to his poor growths and inability to progress in supports with anyone but Corrin and Jakob. As a character of many years, there's quite a bit to learn about Gunter as the story progresses.

Jakob

Starting Class: Butler
Initial Abilities:
-Evasive Partner: If the Avatar is the lead unit, Avatar’s Avoid +15, damage received -3
-Resistance +2: Grants Resistance +2
-Gentilhomme: Female allies within a 2 tile radius receive 2 less damage during battles

Base Stats(Growth Rates)

HP: 21(50%) Spd: 9(40%)
Str: 8(30%) Lck: 10(55%)
Mag: 6(15%) Def: 7(15%)
Skill: 12(40%) Res: 6(35%)

Bio: A very capable butler. Serves the protagonist with unwavering loyalty.

My Thoughts: Jakob isn't too bad starting off, especially thanks to him having ranged attacks and being able to lower enemy stats. His HP and Luck growths are his highest, like Gunter, but at a much higher percentage. Thanks to his skill and his pretty good growth for it, he's extremely accurate. While his Strength growth isn't this best, it's good enough to make him a useful ranged unit and paired with his resistance makes him good to pit against mages. However, due to his low defense and growth for it, I'd recommend keeping him away from any physical attackers. I've honestly never used Jakob much and this run is my first as a female Avatar so I can't speak for his character or supports at this point.

Thank you to everyone who's been supportive of this LP and given me suggestions. I'd like to credit Xen0nex of the Fire Emblem Reddit and Aggro Incarnate of Serenes Forest for they're research into
the mechanics of Fire Emblem: Fates

Ally Support Bonus
Combat Calculations

Mantis314 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 28, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Going female makes the early game much easier because Jakob's personal skill basically makes Corrin an absurd tank no matter what spec you're in. The only problem is that using him as a pair-up bot lessens his other utility as a debuffer and healer.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I don't like most of Fates' characters, but Jakob is pretty great for being a really good snarky rear end in a top hat. Also, Gunter is voiced by the guy who does Wesker, so he naturally gets some of the best voice lines in the game ("WAR AND I GO WAY BACK!")

(Oh, also, you're missing Kaze's portrait on his defeat quote, and a lot of the stuff with Corrin after completing the map says "himself/herself". Not sure if that's intentional, since you're using a female Corrin for this run. If it is, whoops, my bad.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mantis314 posted:

Father, I have dispatched our enemies on behalf of my softhearted brother/sister.

Hmph.

I only ask that you would be merciful in your punishment of him/her…
A couple fixes to make here.

Jakob is super good stapled to Corrin early on, -3 damage and +15 avoid are incredibly good. Gunter's also nice for some extra killing power, but staying alive tends to be far more valuable, and Jakob does a great job there.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

theshim posted:

A couple fixes to make here.

LordHippoman posted:

(Oh, also, you're missing Kaze's portrait on his defeat quote, and a lot of the stuff with Corrin after completing the map says "himself/herself". Not sure if that's intentional, since you're using a female Corrin for this run. If it is, whoops, my bad.)

Thanks for pointing these out, guys! I was trying to proofread but kept getting pulled away in the middle of it, resulting in these mistakes. I've changed all the stuff relating to the Avatar to feminine pronouns since this is a female Corrin run. However if you notice anymore errors, please let me know!

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
Glad to see Fates LP'd. Strangely, I find Chapter 2 to be much easier if you actually don't use the Dragon Vein. Since Rinkah has a 2-range weapon on Lunatic, it's a real pain to take both groups on at once, even with the healing tiles. I use Gunter to kite Rinkah's group to the left side while I take out Kaze's group on the right, which you can only do if the Vein stays inactivated. I actually find that most of the Dragon Vein effects are either not worth using or are actually bad for you, I find myself never using Dragon Vein unless the chapter absolutely requires it.

My Dragon Vein vendetta aside, good luck with this, I'll definitely be keeping up with this.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Yeah, sometimes the game pardons your mistakes.

Also, our Daddy is just the best dad ever. Not.

His children must have all taken after their mothers, I mean look at him.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
As far as assistant-to-Avatar characters go, Jakob's probably the best all-around. From his few supports I've seen he's funny as hell like LordHippoman said, plus his skills and boosts make him great for supporting the Avatar like Tae and theshim said, especially in Attack Stance. I've honestly never tried playing any of the maps without the Dragon Veins aside from the Wind Tribe Village which is hell all around, but I could definitely see some chapters being made much easier by avoiding them altogether.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Yeah, sometimes the game pardons your mistakes.

Also, our Daddy is just the best dad ever. Not.

His children must have all taken after their mothers, I mean look at him.

He actually looked a lot like Xander before he got real old and wrinkly, judging from the FE Cipher art.

http://i.imgur.com/TtPanF8.jpg

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

SC Bracer posted:

He actually looked a lot like Xander before he got real old and wrinkly, judging from the FE Cipher art.

http://i.imgur.com/TtPanF8.jpg

I've never looked into FE Cipher much, but this artwork is very cool and seeing the resemblance between him and Xander is interesting. It's also interesting that his crown looks more similar to Camilla's than the one he wears throughout Fates.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Maybe there is family resemblance.

Cipher Garon looks cooler than in game Garon.

Corrin has at last left the tower she was locked in.

But she made father angry on day 1.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I don't like most of Fates' characters, but Jakob is pretty great for being a really good snarky rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, Fates was pretty miss or hit for me too. Elise turned out to be really cool, despite me having low expectations of the child(?) characters. For example no idea how old anyone beyond Gregor, Nowi and Tiki are supposed to be so when it comes to Donnel, Ricken or Lissa I've got no idea if I should count them or not. But that might just be because of the game pulling a Stardew Valley and having all their interesting stuff in later supports that I never saw because I can't remember who supports with who ever.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, Fates was pretty miss or hit for me too. Elise turned out to be really cool, despite me having low expectations of the child(?) characters. For example no idea how old anyone beyond Gregor, Nowi and Tiki are supposed to be so when it comes to Donnel, Ricken or Lissa I've got no idea if I should count them or not. But that might just be because of the game pulling a Stardew Valley and having all their interesting stuff in later supports that I never saw because I can't remember who supports with who ever.

Lissa's 15ish at the start of the game according to design docs. Ricken and Donnel are the only people younger than her, a little for Donnel and a couple years for Ricken. Everybody else is at least eighteenish at the start of the game.

There's a two year timeskip after Gangrel goes down, and if you assume a couple years for the whole international war thing, that puts everybody but Ricken in the vague "Young adult" category. (Which is why Ricken is the only character whose S ranks include lines along the lines of "Of course we can get married. In a few years. When I'm not a cradle robber, because that would be creepy.")

As for who supports who, pretty much every character you get before chapter 14 (except Sumia and Chrom) can support with everyone of the opposite gender you get before chapter 14 and their kids. It's much simpler in Awakening than in most of the old games, even if you don't access the menu mid-game to check.

And Lissa and Donnel are both pretty great. Lissa's a surprisingly good mother for someone her age, if you need a solid support. Also, she pranks Robin. Repeatedly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

And Lissa and Donnel are both pretty great. Lissa's a surprisingly good mother for someone her age, if you need a solid support. Also, she pranks Robin. Repeatedly.

Oh I know, my issue is I just didn't know if she's supposed to be a young teenager or like an 16-18 side older one. Lissa, Donnel and Elise are all great, no argument here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh I know, my issue is I just didn't know if she's supposed to be a young teenager or like an 16-18 side older one. Lissa, Donnel and Elise are all great, no argument here.

Fifteen at the start, 18 after the timeskip according to the artbook, but the official word from the devs is those were just numbers they kept in mind for ballparking the design, and they don't really have hard and fast ages for the cast.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Not sure if you want to talk about classes, especially the new ones.

In particular, Jakob is actually a prepromote; the Butler/Maid is one of the promoted versions of the Troubadour class (which is now unisex). However, his internal level is low so he'll gain experience at the same rate as most unpromoted units, and to make up for starting in a promoted class, his level cap is actually 40, instead of 20, to simulate the 20/20 levels a normal unit would get for levelling in an unpromoted and then a promoted class.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
I think it would be a good idea to provide some more detailed information about the opponents weapons, especially if we are first seeing them.

For example, Kaze's Iron Shuriken grants him +2 speed (hence the blue number when you see his stats). Additionally, when he strikes an enemy with the Iron Shuriken, it lowers the enemy's Magic by 2, Defense by 3, and Resistance by 3.

The other weapons of note are the Kodachi and Throwing Club that the generic Samurai and Riku have, respectively. These weapons are ranged variants of Melee weapons (Katana and Club). In order to entice people to use actual ranged weapons (Spells/Tomes, Bows/Yumi, and Daggers/Shurikens), ranged Melee-class weapons have massive drawbacks. The Throwing Club and Kodachi both are "weak to follow up attacks (-5 effective Spd)". This means that when the game is calculating if you are able to strike an enemy twice, the calculation adds a -5 speed penalty. This makes it extremely difficult to not get doubled while wielding these weapons. Finally, these two weapons are unable to score critical hits, activate on-hit skills, or perform follow up attacks.

One last thing you can mention is that unlike previous Fire Emblem games, most weapons no longer have Durability. The only weapons that still have durability are staffs and rods, and this is just to prevent you from infinitely grinding a healer to max level utilizing a weak enemy.
To balance this, most high end weapons have negative effects, like lowered stats while using the weapon.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Thank you for these suggestions. I will adjust the post accordingly tonight. The next update is in progress and should be released Sunday or Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Am I the only one who dislikes hidden weapons and the constant stat debuffing? I find it's far too easy to not have any tanks in this game as the debuffs pile on.

• Locked thread