Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

EVO Japan ran a Fighting Vipers tournament, but they did it in Judgement lmao

RGG does more for game preservation than anyone else in the industry lmao

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
eventually they'll put sonic 2 & knuckles in an RGG game and i'll never play anything again

also speaking of old games i love that outrun and space harrier are basically in every single RGG game since yakuza 0, after the mandatory 1-4 hours of introductory sequences i always beeline to the nearest arcade to slap my names on the high score screen and win a UFO catcher prize

and yet i'm loving terrible at outrun? i've never made it past the second leg of the road, and this time when i was hitting it up as homeless Ichiban i realized the sole reason i like it so much is the extremely chill music and the nice sunset high score screen:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody is good at both Outrun and Space Harrier, you can only have the skills for one.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
:smugdog:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Finished LAD8. As per usual, they find a way to make me tear up at the ending.

I'd definitely say I liked the game, but I'd also say it was pretty dang uneven overall. Maybe it's because we really paced out our playing of the game, but the plot just really didn't work as much for me and the lack of substories was pretty disappointing. I loved the addition of way more of the skits though, and as I'd expect the cast of characters was genuinely great.

For LAD9 I mostly just hope the pacing is a bit more even and the villain can be more directly involved with the story. I'd also like to see them space out the whole "getting to know your party members" pieces a little more if that feature returns. I love that you have so many little skits and scenes with them but I think having them all available right away means it's just too easy to do every one of them right away and then have nothing more than the random skits going forwards.

Solid game overall, but definitely not my favorite in the series.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody is good at both Outrun and Space Harrier, you can only have the skills for one.

Its true, thank the lords i own at outrun (in my head)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Been playing Ishin recently and really getting addicted to it. Forever amused by all the constant distractions you gotta go through: oh sure I'll meet you for my first day job training, just hang on, gotta help this old man chop logs, and this lady wants me to listen to her stories, and I gotta feed this dog, work at the udon shop, fight these bandits, tend my garden, etc etc. Kinda surprised I'm enjoying it so much: I mean, I like the Yakuza games a lot, but this one seems to be grabbing me a bit more both from a combat and an adventure/sidequest perspective. Wonder if it's the fact that everything has a bar to fill and contributes to virtue, or I think it was a bit quicker to let you off the leash? I wonder.

Anyone have any tips for gear and smithing? Not sure how necessary it is to get other swords/guns instead of just enhancing your starters, not sure whether spear/odachi are worth it, and not sure how best to level the smithy (should I just donate a bunch of cheap swords? or disassembly? or crafting?)

Also, am I wrong or is Wild Dancer just too good and cool that I'm not even sure it's necessary to use the others? For example, I like swordsman but it's so slow and stiff for the small damage boost it gives comparatively.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 29, 2024

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I asked a few pages ago about playing Infinite Wealth without having played any of the others and got a response to play 0 and another to play 7. I see Gaiden also recommended on reddit. I've never had interest in these since I don't play any JRPGs, but I like the Besties podcast and they think 8 will definitely be in their GOTY discussion despite none of them previously being big Yakuza fans.

I have Game Pass so I could play 0, 7, or Gaiden easily so would the beginning of one of those be the closest representation to start with to see if I would even like 8? I suppose if I like that I would know if I would like 8, and it would be easier to convince myself to play whichever of those 3 are needed first.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I asked a few pages ago about playing Infinite Wealth without having played any of the others and got a response to play 0 and another to play 7. I see Gaiden also recommended on reddit. I've never had interest in these since I don't play any JRPGs, but I like the Besties podcast and they think 8 will definitely be in their GOTY discussion despite none of them previously being big Yakuza fans.

I have Game Pass so I could play 0, 7, or Gaiden easily so would the beginning of one of those be the closest representation to start with to see if I would even like 8? I suppose if I like that I would know if I would like 8, and it would be easier to convince myself to play whichever of those 3 are needed first.

0 is the place to start, but if you're looking to not play a dozen brawlers then 7 was a soft reboot and is the second best place to start.

definitely do NOT start with Gaiden or 8, 8 is a direct sequel to 7 and almost totally opaque without knowing the characters/plot of 7, and Gaiden is a kind of vibes sequel to 0-6 and so bursting with fan service to the entire series that starting there would be like watching the last 20 minutes of Return of the King without even really knowing what a hobbit is

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
7 would probably be the best indication of if you'll like Infinite Wealth because they share a protagonist and combat system, and 7 seems to be kind of a soft-reboot sort of thing because it's a whole new cast that doesn't expect you to know wtf was happening in the previous 6+ games.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

7 is the only one that’s anything like 8 mechanically, but when you get to 8 half the story is focused on a character with 8 other games worth of story behind him.

Chronologically they go 0-7, Gaiden, 8.

0-6 are all about Kiryu, and Gaiden is about what he was up to between 6 and throughout 7 leading in to 8 because 7 is about a whole new cast with a few returning faces in the main story.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

7 is the most like 8 since they're the only ones with Ichiban and with turn based combat, and is the one that got me to try the rest of the series, so I'd say start with 7. It is a slow beginning with a lot of cutscenes so stick with it but it's totally worth it. It really opens up around chapter 4 or 5.

My play order has been 7, 0, Kiwami (the remake of the first game), Gaiden, and 8 and honestly it has worked out better than expected I'm sure there's stuff I've missed but the major character work still landed.

Solenna fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 29, 2024

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
7 might be good to start at if you're new, but holy poo poo if you've been playing along the boss fight in the Omi HQ with Majima and Saejima is the hypest poo poo ever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Still one of the best bits from LAD7: https://twitter.com/137Force/status/1784832091219501466

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FutureCop posted:

Been playing Ishin recently and really getting addicted to it. Forever amused by all the constant distractions you gotta go through: oh sure I'll meet you for my first day job training, just hang on, gotta help this old man chop logs, and this lady wants me to listen to her stories, and I gotta feed this dog, work at the udon shop, fight these bandits, tend my garden, etc etc. Kinda surprised I'm enjoying it so much: I mean, I like the Yakuza games a lot, but this one seems to be grabbing me a bit more both from a combat and an adventure/sidequest perspective. Wonder if it's the fact that everything has a bar to fill and contributes to virtue, or I think it was a bit quicker to let you off the leash? I wonder.

Anyone have any tips for gear and smithing? Not sure how necessary it is to get other swords/guns instead of just enhancing your starters, not sure whether spear/odachi are worth it, and not sure how best to level the smithy (should I just donate a bunch of cheap swords? or disassembly? or crafting?)

Also, am I wrong or is Wild Dancer just too good and cool that I'm not even sure it's necessary to use the others? For example, I like swordsman but it's so slow and stiff for the small damage boost it gives comparatively.

Wild dancer is cool but it sucks for single target damage and does not have good defense. It’s oriented towards crowd control. Best for single target damage is gun which is super good but has no defense and you will be hosed if an enemy gets past your damage and range (output is really good so it’s honestly op anyway because most guys won’t.) swordsman is actually defense oriented. It’s best for bosses because it’s a good balance between output and guarding.

Brawler is oriented towards… well there’s not really anything brawler is good at. It’s for completionists really. Theoretically it’s crowd control but worse at it than wild dancer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/Beyondroryttv/status/1784959502003163316

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FutureCop posted:

The gap definitely widens, you will wanna be using swordsman or gunman for single target eventually because wild dancer just can't keep up. It remains great for AoE and being a slippery little guy, though.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

0 is the place to start, but if you're looking to not play a dozen brawlers then 7 was a soft reboot and is the second best place to start.

definitely do NOT start with Gaiden or 8, 8 is a direct sequel to 7 and almost totally opaque without knowing the characters/plot of 7, and Gaiden is a kind of vibes sequel to 0-6 and so bursting with fan service to the entire series that starting there would be like watching the last 20 minutes of Return of the King without even really knowing what a hobbit is

It's funny because a lot of times sequels will have a sorta like.. "catch you up on what happened in the previous game" segment and man yakuza 8 did not really have that

Technically the stories are pretty separate I supposed, but man the intro would be weird if you'd never played 7

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's funny because a lot of times sequels will have a sorta like.. "catch you up on what happened in the previous game" segment and man yakuza 8 did not really have that

Technically the stories are pretty separate I supposed, but man the intro would be weird if you'd never played 7

Did you skip on the option for Ichiban to reflect on the things that happened while he was praying to Arakawa and Masato at the very start of the game? Because he totally summarizes the events of 7 there.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Did you skip on the option for Ichiban to reflect on the things that happened while he was praying to Arakawa and Masato at the very start of the game? Because he totally summarizes the events of 7 there.

oh geez, tbh I completely forgot about it since it's been months since I played that part :shobon:

you're right yeah

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

I started with 7 because the trailers for 8 made me really want to play 8 and I don't have a ton of time to get into the whole series.

If you start with 7 and go straight to 8 you will miss out on a ton of backstory with one of the characters which I guess you can catch up on later or watch a youtube video.

Do not go straight into 8.

As for 8 I'm about 55 hours in and I kind of feel like I've spent most of my time playing Pokemon and Animal Crossing. My major complaint so far is having to mash to get sujimon.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I think 8 gives you enough context for Kiryu to get his whole deal, so going straight from 7 to 8 is still fine in my opinion. And really even understanding all the callbacks a lot of his content is very truncated; like its nice to see Sayama again but it's a brief cutscene that glosses over her life even more than 3 did so it's just kind of like...whatever. It doesn't really touch the highs of Gaiden's or even 6's emotional arc and it feels like they did that so as not to alienate new fans so much which I understand but it makes it so anything involving him is very much a B-plot to Ichiban's tropical adventures.

If anything playing all the Kiryu games can give you too MUCH context so you'll be like "wait did they really just kill Hanawa in a totally throwaway cutscene wasn't he an important character" and "wait shouldn't Majima have been in this more" and etc etc

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 30, 2024

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I feel like 0/the Kiwamis kind of give a skewed view of how central Majima is to the series, seems like he gets like 10 minutes per game after that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I think 8 gives you enough context for Kiryu to get his whole deal, so going straight from 7 to 8 is still fine in my opinion. And really even understanding all the callbacks a lot of his content is very truncated; like its nice to see Sayama again but it's a brief cutscene that glosses over her life even more than 3 did so it's just kind of like...whatever.

Yeah fwiw we haven't played past Yakuza 4 of the original series yet and I thought the Kiryu stuff landed decently well. I'm sure there's some stuff that would've had way more impact, but all the major points still worked for us at least

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

robot roll call posted:

I feel like 0/the Kiwamis kind of give a skewed view of how central Majima is to the series, seems like he gets like 10 minutes per game after that.

You say this like the absence of Majima wasn't half the plot of 5.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Whenever Majima isn't on screen the characters should be asking, "Where's Majima?"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Majima is always on screen he's just not always visible.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Featuring Majima more than 20 minutes per game would completely break any semblance of tension the games try to have, so they always bend backwards trying to justify why he's not solving the problems he's more than capable of solving

Then again, who knows how many Kiryu Yakuza plots we avoided with him technically being the Tojo captain off-screen for all these years

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Whenever majima is not on screen he is running a cabaret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ainsley McTree posted:

Whenever majima is not on screen he is running a construction company