Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I went straight from Yakuza Kiwami 2 to Yakuza 6, and I feel like the difficulty is a little higher if only because money feels harder to make and I have less opportunity to cheese fights with tons of healing items.

Then I found out there's a safe on top of New Serena with 1 million yen in it and that problem disappeared. :getin:

I'm totally playing the games out of order, though. I watched the Giant Bomb playthrough of Yakuza 0, then went Judgement -> Yakuza 0 -> Kiwami -> Kiwami 2 -> Yakuza 6, and frankly I've been loving them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Just finished Yakuza 6, the ending was so good.

Ate one last piece of tofu before knocking out the final boss. This one's for you, Pocket Circuit Fighter.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The investigation parts of Judgement were great if you realized they were a cat finding minigame and nothing else.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I can't hear you, I'm too busy playing baseball with Kiryu.

The bat is the poor bastard I just used a grab on.

The ball is everything else around Kiryu.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The ball is also that poor bastard 20 feet away.

That Kiryu just threw the bat at.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Kiryu is really good at baseball.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Wait did they bring back the original VO from the OG PS2 release? Sure it's initially a little off-putting after playing the rest of the games using Japanese VO but comparing it to the original the deeper gruffer voice kinda makes sense given how much older Kiryu is now compared to then.

Also the new Majima VO works a hell of a lot better than Mark Hamill did.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Not gonna lie, when I unlocked Eri from the management game I had a bit of a chuckle.

"What do you have there, Eri?" "A KNIFE!" "NOOOOO"

Angry office worker Eri is as overpowered as people have claimed and I'm glad I had her and her limitless box of thumbtacks in my party over the past few story chapters.

I'm finally hitting a point where, story wise, this feels like a real Yakuza game and I'm having a blast. This game is great.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

any known fps bugs on pc version?

i have not hit a single Y button Perfect Attack, and i am not _this_ bad at timing.

I was bad at the Y button attacks for a while, but I think I have them mostly down now. You want to hit Y a bit later than you think you would need to.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I can't say I was expecting the sharp rise in difficulty during boss fights in Chapter 14. Well ok I guess I expected it for one of them given who it was.

Maybe it's time to invest in a musician with all of those offense/defense buffs because bosses are starting to deal 3/5th of a character's HP per attack even with timed blocks. I've had to result to using poison and lots of healing items to barely make it through them. :shepicide:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Credits have rolled on Like a Dragon. Game is good.

So is the series still going to be called Yakuza after this?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Y7 end/post game question:

Did Ichi ever get his peking duck?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Beat Y7. That story was great but I could have done without

the goddamn Majima/Saejima and Kiryu fights. I got frustrated as gently caress trying to play it "fair" and basically just used Essence of: gently caress YOU I GOT A SPACE LAZER YOU ASSHOLES! and used Nanba/Eri[?]/Jo-gi as Tauriner/Heal bots

I feel like the late game bosses are easier to just turtle up and whittle them down with poison from Joon-gi Han. They resist so many types of damage, and attack so often that it's easier to let them kill themselves via poison while making sure you don't die from their attacks.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I ordered some peking duck tonight in honor of Ichi and Arakawa and it was entirely worth it.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Finally caught it on tape. Every other fight is like this now, good work (ch10) Joon-gi.

https://i.imgur.com/4qhPIgS.mp4

vvv This is on PC.

I, uh, am at a bit of a loss, I didn't see a single thing like that or any of your other issues during my playthrough.

Couple questions worth asking:
* You mentioned you had it installed on an SSD. Have you checked your SSD health recently, using hwinfo or otherwise?
* If the SSD is in good health, do you have any kind of anti-virus running that could be throttling your reads? If so, if you disable it, does the issue still happen?
* Do you happen to have Shadowplay live recording also recording to the same SSD? If so, if you disable it, does the issue still happen?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Presumably you're at least in the mid-40's when you got there.

I was level 32 when I hit that point. :shepicide:

There is an additional difficulty spike in chapter 15, but the game does provide you a very convenient way to get a level or two per fight which makes it easy to hit 60, which is what was recommended to me for the final dungeon.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

Sometimes they are bad, lmao ice bucket and shield lift, but.

Big story spoiler do not look: I took down Kiryu almost exclusively with ice bucket, second to poison. :hotpickle:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Xarbala posted:

You don't need to manually give people therapy, you can just press Square in the employee menu to bring up Auto-Care and it raises everyone to max happiness.

gently caress. Well now I know just-in-case I go back to grind more money from the management game. :shepicide:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Going back through some side stories after beating the main story.

Can confirm. This game still owns.

[Edit] Let this snipe confirm that this game is still amazing.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So, uh, after finishing all of the certification exams what is the best way to level up your personality stats to max so you can clear the sub-stories that require them to be capped? Intelligence got capped from the exams, and Style just involved me dumping an illegal quantity of hair gel on Ichi* until he capped, but I'm at a loss for the rest besides throwing myself at minigames until my eyes roll out of their sockets, or taxi-warping to get those random stat-increasing NPCs to respawn.

*Despite all of that hair gel his hair is still sentient during cutscenes :magical:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

There's a lot of low hanging fruit in the part time hero achievement thingies, I found most of the stats not that hard to max that way. For the few that aren't it's pretty much minigames or honk honks, but if you're a cheater bo beater you can also get the stat increasing books via the exploit I posted on the last page.

I can't believe I missed it on the last page. I will absolutely give this a shot, thanks!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Reporting in that I wasn't able to get those suitcases to respawn with the personality boosting items. I did, however, get the honk-honk NPC in Sotenbori to respawn in an endless loop and boosting most of my stats to full that way. Only needed to do a bit of grinding to finish off my Kindness stat.

Ichi got done dirty in sub-story 52.

Time to sacrifice myself to the go-kart gods. :hotpickle:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Here I sit playing the management minigame, at the rank cap with more money than I know what to do with and a full set of employees at senior director level and level cap, doing what I can for the world by hiring any new employee that shows up, promoting them to senior director, giving them executive training until they hit the level cap and then promptly firing them to make room for the next promising candidate.

Go forth and build up your own franchise, random management NPC. I believe in you.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

I might do the DK stuff

I just finished the rest of the substories in the game, DK stuff is absurdly easy. Spend your absurd amount of money from the management sim on upgrading every cart ever to the max. Do an opening boost at the start of races, don't drive into the bad and when the game offers you a boost or a boost powerup, take the boost powerup for the 4x boost vs just the one.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I found it annoying as poo poo to have to run back to a taxi to go change up jobs whilst grinding in the other areas until I realised 60 hours in that you can taxi from anywhere using your smartphone.

It's worth noting that the phone taxi acts differently than actually going up to and using a taxi for the purposes of resetting state in the game. For example, honk-honk NPCs won't reset normally if you use your phone to taxi away, you actually need to walk up to and use a taxi to get them to despawn/respawn/reset.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

the gently caress's a "honk-honk NPC"

i've done almost every substory and am about to go finish the main plot, i haven't seen any of those

They are NPCs that'll spawn in various locations in the overworld across every city, five in total, that you can pay to fully restore your HP/MP and give a bit of exp to a variety of personality stats. You can only do this once every time they spawn, and they'll despawn (or even respawn again) every time you walk up to and use a taxi (they will not do this if you use your phone to taxi away). Using each one of them once will net you an achievement if you care about that sort of thing.

They also happen to be a reference to the puff puff NPCs found in various Dragon Quest games, and have a similarly lewd implication/fade out every time you use them.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Can you re-honk the honk honks in new game+?

You can make them respawn multiple times in any given playthrough. Great for leveling up your personality stats if you've got the money/patience for it and you otherwise don't want to grind your personality stats through minigames or other means.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 29, 2020

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I just wanted to say, "re-honk the honk honks." At least I've learned something. I hadn't realized that multi-honk combos were in the game!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Yakuza: re-honk the honk honks

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

At least Yakuza 6 fixed the baseball fanboy issue. If Kiryu just uttered the words "Anime isn't real" he'd be fist fighting otaku nerds too.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

There is a truck in the park on the NE part of the map that sells them.

[Edit] Beaten.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hey at least an intern got some hands on experience for it.

[Edit] "So hey on your resume it sounds like the only professional experience you have is developing the pachislot DLC for Yakuza 7. The totally unfun one?"

"Yeah that sounds about right."

"Welcome to Ubisoft."

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Not gonna like, but a Like a Dragon 2 including a party with Yagami and Saito, and maybe a couple of other Yakuza series vets, would be the bees knees.

But that might just be me hoping for a Judgement 2.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

Me cussing under my breath, can a man get a goddamn honk honk around here

The monkey's paw curls and when you open your eyes this is who has arrived to apply the honk honk:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Thank you for posting this because I was always curious what the higher level apologies looked like after I learned how to play the shareholder meeting minigame properly and learned to love sicking Omelette on some fools.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

imagine if in your average Ubisoft game you had to whip off your shirt and jacket and have a huge fistfight whenever you wanted to unlock another map section

Fistfighting the pope at the end of Assassin's Creed II would have been so much cooler if Ezio had ripped off his shirt and revealed a plate of spaghetti tattooed on his back.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I am excited to buy Judgement a second time when the obvious exclusivity agreement ends because the game was murder on my launch PS4 and I'd love to be able to throw my 3080 at it.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A game where you play Daigo, Saejima, and Mahjima where you sit around in a cell and do nothing.

Think of all of the bread cutscenes!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

We don't need to get complicated with tier lists. Everyone knows that the correct tier list is:

S: Playing a Yakuza game
F: Not playing a Yakuza game

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Judgement had a bad habit of crashing my base PS4 a lot, but I otherwise really enjoyed it, so while I've been itching for a PC release, I guess it's time to try it again on my PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

and that i wake up tomorrow and i'm as handsome and strong as kiryu

I will never be as handsome as Kiryu, but I hope I wake up to see a grey suit and red shirt in my closet so I can at least pull off a fake Kiryu. To be punched in the face by the real Kiryu.