Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i got it a bit earlier due to europe caring less about breaking street dates and i just want to say its good, folks. ain't too far into it yet but the styles system is real fun and adds a lot to keep combat more interesting and feel less samey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

does the game ever show you on the mini-map where the substories are like 5 did or do i have to go around the map searching for em?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Sindai posted:

They seem to be immune to grabs and all heat moves? I tried using a katana as Kiryu and no heat prompt popped up. Does Kiryu just not have a katana heat move in this game?

it doesn't help for kiryu but majima's slugger style has a heat move where you can initiate it by just facing him for a second

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Is there something that I need to do to trigger the cabaret battle with Moon? Do I need to get the last girl? Do I need to just keep building up my number of fans? Right now, I've got four platinum girls at max level, and the last one is lvl 38. I've also maxed out most of my gold girls, and I've started on my silver ones. I figure that I'm ready for the battle, but I don't know how to make it happen.

im p sure for club moon you have to get 10k fans to trigger the battle, its kind of a long slog and i honestly suggest partnering with some stores there to skip having to do the minigame a couple of times

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Maybe 100k fans. I've partnered with every store, and I've got more than 60k fans already.

did you do the other events like checking out club moon and such? admittedly i did that poo poo post-game so it might also only trigger once uve gone farther in the story?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

just did the gay hostess substory in kiwami and woof yakuza should probably stop approaching anything lgbt-related whatsoever. like drat, i love these games but woof it makes me awkwardly tug my collar every time when they do that poo poo.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

honestly i'd say start with 0, some of the content in kiwami just spoils poo poo from 0 and a pretty central character in kiwami feels way better developed if you've played 0 first.

SpacePig posted:

Wait, did they change parts to directly reference events in 0?

some majima anywhere fights end up with him talking a lot about the stuff he did in 0

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Stelas posted:

I can't seem to find Majima for Flash Step Reborn. I think the related message is to go find him west of Shichifuku Street, and I've had him spot me in the store around there reading magazines, but I didn't get the skill from it.

this one took me a while too. go to the pocket circuit and do some of the intro stuff. after doing some stuff for a while majima will show up to race you. win and you'll get flash step reborn.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

ah drat, apparently kiwami 2 is only getting made because of how well 0 and kiwami sold outside of japan. so chances are super high that the series is basicly gonna be safe to be ported to the west for a while.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

imweasel09 posted:

How do I unlock the hostess club? I've tried to go there and it just tells me that I should check the MEB. Something online said that was the lotto ticket booth next to millennium tower but I go there and can't do anything.

MEB is on the north of Kamurocho, right around the centre of Shichifuku Street. ask the dude who works there about either of the clubs and tell him to guide you there, should unlock both clubs

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

yakuza is cool but to put it as nicely as i can, its viewpoint tend to be really socially conservative and all the baggage that comes with it. its kind of a bummer because beating the poo poo out of japan's rude men is something every one can enjoy

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

RandallODim posted:

I was legit shocked when Tanimura's sidestory in 4 with the immigrant orphans had a conclusion more complex than the 'just work hard and you'll be accepted!' one it really seemed to be going for.

honestly someone's who's more versed in japanese race relationships can tell me if i'm wrong, but one thing yakuza does seem a little bit more progressive on is the idea of just treating different ethnicities like people. like that's basicly the entire plot of 2 even if its riddled with everyone is a secret korean!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

finished the game, nishiki was a fun boss but jingu can suck my nuts, hate whenever this series pulls off gun bosses.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Which style do you guys use for those annoying, lovely story group fights? Every single fight goes as such: I attack, 20 people attack me interrupting my combo, I back off, I attack, 20 people attack me interrupting my combo. Then if they have guns add in getting shot dozens of times and using up a thousand healing items per fight. I use Rush and I constantly spam dodge. I punch once then dodge a thousand times, then hit again. Rinse and repeat for the next 3 hours until the fight is over.

Is there a group style that isn't trash? Is there an ability that makes me ignore hits that I missed? I loving miss Majima and just breakdance killing all these loving clowns.

i found one of the best things is to use brawler's finishing blows and then dodging away after every combo until you get into heat mode, at which point to switch to beast and start tearing rear end.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

my biggest problem with the game is that majima gives you so much xp just for trying to complete the dragon style, that i had around 8000 bars of xp and nothing to use it on at the end of the game. really feels they could've exported 0's stat boost wheel, if only because some bosses just have too much health.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

akiyama's misogyny could've been an interesting character trait to deal with, especially since 4 takes a lot more from noir narratives. but its kinda dampered by the fact that yakuza ain't too great with women as it is, so it feels a lot more like one of the writer's actual feelings on that poo poo.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

my favorite thing about kiwami is that 0 builds Shimano up as this loving genius who plays nth dimensional chess with Majima and he's like the smartest and most cautious criminal of all time and then in kiwami he dies because he's a dumb strongman who cannot resist the urge to throw a grenade

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

shimano's bad but he's not as bad as (yakuza kiwami endgame spoilers) the coward jingu whose mooks will never leave you alone and can revive themselves

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

0 is both a better starting point and the better game. also longer than kiwami.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

my local barcade's only fighting games are mortal kombat 2 and street fighter 2 so its not that out there for a arcade to still have outdated games there just because of nostalgia

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

think my big problem with the voiced substory cutscenes in 6 is that it still has the same camerawork as the text substories from previous games, so taking away being able to choose your own pacing just makes the 40 angle changes per minute feel very frantic and unfocused.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

anybody got any tips for mixing in the bar minigame in fist of the north star? have been able to manage to clear the 1 and 2 star drinks with the "rotate stick in middle of palm trick with glove on" but i just keep on failing the 3 star ones.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

MechaX posted:

I went back to Kiwami 2 after a break and decided to try the first Majima chapter since I just unlocked it.

poo poo was getting interesting, Majima is fun to play, got into a fight with a few thugs, went to some dude’s office and- wait... what the gently caress, I have to unlock the next chapter? But I’ve only been playing for 20 minutes and 15 of those were cutscenes!

Unless I missed some side activities hardcore, I hope they have you switching between Kiryu and Majima is every chapter

Majima Saga is only 3-4 chapters and I think only unlocks every 4 of Kiryu's chapters, so you're kinda poo poo out of luck until you've beaten the main-game

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Zushio posted:

Has anyone found any more posters with the QR codes on them? The one I found was in the alley between your office and Ebisu Pawn. It taught me a move called Light Bullet that seems to be a VR only action.

there's one in the hallway at the south inside the batting center that gives you blessing of the wind god

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

sad there's no more taunting the enemy tho

there is, it took me a while but its clicking the L3 button. if ur close enough and you got a EX gauge, you can even do a EX move out of their mortal blow attack when theyre in the windup while you're taunting.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Sindai posted:

How long does it take the "burger fugitive" to respawn if you lose to him? I let him kill me without using any items because I really wasn't expecting him to take off a quarter of my life each hit and I wanted to start over, but I wasn't expecting him to disappear seemingly forever immediately after saying I could come back and fight him again. Does he actually move somewhere else?

yeah, he moves somewhere else. check the alleyway on the upper right of kamurocho, inbetween park boulevard and east shichifuku street. no idea if he moves somewhere else if you lose to him there, though.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Aside from hostesses in 0 are there any relationships in this series that don't feel weird to pursue?

the psychic lady in judgement. despite being a weirdo her relationship is probs the most normal and least skeevy in the entire franchise imo.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

the rubber bullets are good if only for the scene where king cop rants out that that's one of the stupidest cover-up plans he's ever seen

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Bussamove posted:

I have never seen a single conman spawn aside from two in a side story before I unlocked Part-time Hero and it’s driving me insane.

they're the barker enemies, think one of ems called pimpmaster? only seem to spawn in the red light district at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i just learn japanese so i dont have to read. simple as