Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Xander77 posted:

Are there literally no guides that explain wtf is going on with the Amon fights? I don't meant "Amon fight on legendary l33t no damage no weapons" - I mean something that actually explains what happens during different stages of the fight and what he's actually vulnerable / invulnerable to.

zap gun him to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
awano rules, if theres a a yakuza 0-2 i want kuze and shibusawa to get out of prision only they retcon shibusawa and replace him with awano and dont explain it and then you play as kuze and awano going after those young upstarts yakuzas. also sagawa didnt get shot either and hes back to being awesome.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Edit - when can you actually invite Nishiki to do Karaoke with you? I only ever get the option to call the phone club girls.

only in Premium Adventure. you can invite him to disco too.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Wait am I seriously gonna have to do the Club Venus challenge without Yuki? That doesn't seem right from a story point of view at all but I can't find anything :ohdear:

if its the one im thinking of, yes. just part of it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

doublepost to add a question about aforesaid style: i seem to have a lot more trouble building heat in mad dog than in any other style, but switching is kind of inconvenient with having to hit the menu. any tips? (besides drugs, of course)

just use his one heat move he has in that style when 3 people are around and then never use the style again and go back to slugger because holygoddamn that soundtrack.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Dessel posted:

Has anyone done actual karaoke of any of the songs that are in the various Yakuza games as karaoke minigames? I'd totally watch such a video. There are actual karaoke tracks out there without vocals for various songs at least.

does singing judgement in my car or shine shine/bakamitai in the shower count?

i sing, for you.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! The Electronics King battle doesn't give you credit for getting 5mn in Out Run if you win?

yeah none of the points you make in any mini-game battle counts towards completion lol.

just lose the 10%, you gain it back in no time. only losing the media king's 10% is annoying because of how grindy his area gets.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

holy gently caress this pissing game in kiwami 2 is some next level poo poo and is hard as gently caress.

also noticing alot of the battle feel tougher than 0 and kiwami but unlike in kiwami it doesnt feel annoying with the bosses (so far...)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

wait, does kiwami 2 have those arcade urinals :eyepop:

it's amazing and kiryu is as intense about it as you'd expect.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

anyone playing kiwami 2 (or 6) on a ps4 pro, are the textures blurry? like sign textures and poo poo? i'm getting some weird lower than expected resolution textures on stuff like building signs and names, like they look lower res than 0 and kiwami and i'm wondering if its a side effect of the new engine on my ps4 slim. i mean, its not terrible or anything, just wondering if texture streaming had broke or some poo poo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

widespread posted:

Can't you just bring over a maxed out Kiryu/Majima into NG+ for Legend Difficulty?

Or at the very least unlocked their respective 4th styles.

you can't NG+ legend in 0 (but you can in kiwami, which is weird) that said, legend is fairly easy enough anyway if you've already been through the game once.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

really enjoying the new ragdolls in kiwami 2. a running kick to a dude on the floor and he flys around like ping pong.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

thats why you dont finish the Cabaret until the finale chapter. everything makes more sense and majima isnt in a rush to get somewhere, he even says "might be my last day on earth, better get things settled"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

sent mine, also scolded them on their inconsistent translation of aniki. in kiwami 2 they havent even bothered and left it just like that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

One of their localization guys discussed that for 6 actually. They got a lot of complaints that they translated "aniki" wrong in 0 or Kiwami or something and that they should've just left it as-is, so I think that's where they're going, moving forward.

thought it was boss or something? i remember for the 5 mins i played of ps2 yakuza shinji saying it out loud and i always thought it was kiryu's nickname until i played 0.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

I think I'm coming up on the Climax to Kiwami 1 and I have three questions...

So Nishiki has a sick sister who needs a heart transplant, Doctor says he needed 30 million to find an Organ dealer, so Nishiki starts presumably paying the Doctor with money his tough gets him. Later on we see that Nishki's tough got 30 million from the doctor who then dips on Nishiki. Is the implied order of events. Doctor owes money to the Yakuza, presumably Kazuma or Nishikis family. Nishiki asks doctor for Heart. Nishiki starts giving doctor 30 million. Doctor pays off his debt to Nishikis tough and runs? Or is it Nishiki asks for Heart, Doctor falls into debt to Nishiki's tough for what ever reason, and uses Nishikis money to pay that off and runs?

Are the Yakuza games always surrounding a mysterious mcguffin like, "The Empty Lot" or "The Ten Billion"?

Is Dragon Style useful? Even midway upgraded it doesn't seem to have much use, because the other styles just do everything better.

dragon style owns when you get the speed upgrades and everything else like the group fighting and group heats. its worth it, soon as i got the speed upgrades i barely used the other styles.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks for the Mahjong tips, I'll probably give it another go and see if I can make some progress.

In other adventures, you know a month ago I would have found something like this surprising:

Now it's just like,"Yep, this seems about right for Kiryu. :allears:"

:eyepop:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

glad they kept most of the music for the cabaret club. i wanna be your girrrrl, oooohwahoooowhoooooah

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

Akira Yamaoka does NOT gently caress around in the Colosseum. If the preview shows you're going to fight a guy using "Self-Taught Kenpo" back out and try again. He's Komaki except all his attacks come out at triple speed and I'm pretty sure he has more health and attack power too. He makes for a pretty powerful Clan Creator goon if you beat him though.

the silent hill music guy?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i like how in the new theme tune for cabaret mini game now has the "yakuza riff" in it. the same one that's in the track that plays from 0 when you're kicking rear end during the end of chapter 1 and in the kuze theme. whats the source for that riff? seems to pop in alot of the tracks trough 0-k2 but since i started with 0 i have no idea what the original version was.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 3, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i like the red spandex guy with his rear end hanging out. that dude understands freedom.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Doc M posted:

I think the blurriness is by far the biggest problem with Yakuza 4. I can deal with 720p, 30 fps and the occasional aliasing (which I never thought was a huge issue with Yakuza 4), but the blur just makes the whole thing look like a mess. I think it was meant to make the visuals appear less jaggy and did a decent job on that front, but... well, just look at this:

That's the game running at its native 720p resolution using PS3 component cables. HDMI would be slightly sharper, but thanks to HDCP it's a pain in the rear end to record.

wait, isn't that where the takoyaki place usually is? they turned it into some ice cream dairy death dump in the future? that's some loving bullshit, man.

also love how you can recognize street locations like your own actual home town. yakuza is the best.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

mp5 posted:

Also you need to buy the Limit Breaker CP upgrade

thats just for the 4th style.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

luxury handset posted:

i can't find it in a non-lovely version on youtube because of quasi piracy but awano from y0, played by takeuchi riki, had a great appearance in one of the gaki batsu games ten years ago. he does his tough guy yakuza act while introducing himself as "takeuchi yuko", a popular female actress who is like the opposite of a swaggering tough guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWixNXfgEXk&t=318s

takeuchi was also the judge in "endo's pervert trial" where during a segment where the comedians time travel back to feudal japan (long story) they end up watching a series of court trials, before one of them is dragged before the judge to answer for his crimes of sending just cringingly bad and awkward sexts to women and just acting like a terrible creep show in general. also his family is there and his ex wife

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4joi1p

drat. with fists like that he coulda gone to the top!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

widespread posted:

Another idea is- and I cant believe everyone misses this- unlocking the Incomparable Habu Drink. It is legit just Staminan Spark for 30k yen.

godsend on legend.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise platinum acquired! Final time: 160:22:50 with 83.90% in-game achievements earned. Extra Hard actually got hard by Chapter 11, because enemies like crossbowmen could deal up to a tenth of my health bar with a single arrow so I had to start using Ki Bursts and instant kills/techniques to clear the areas.

My collection of Yakuza Studio platinums is progressing nicely! Out of all the Western-released Yakuza games, I'm missing Zero, Kiwami 1, and I haven't even played Kiwami 2 yet. I think when I feel up to playing a Yakuza game again (in a few months) I'll go back and replay Zero on Legend, get that 100% achievement rate, add that to the collection. Does the completion rate carry over? I'm actually kinda hoping it doesn't because I want to start on Legend with nothing.

nothing carries over to legend. also holy poo poo @ platinums. nice.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

can't tell if its the new engine/combat system or what, but lmao these amon fights in kiwami 2 are all hilariously loving easy compared to 0 and 1. the way the completion list is set i thought i had another substory where i'd fight them all at the same time but nope. oh well. better finish this up i guess, everything else is done i think.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

I think it's because 6 and Kiwami 2 have the "never die in Extreme Heat Mode" upgrades, which are a godsend when most of your deaths against Amon come from minor mistakes that OHKO you

ahh, i didnt even know i had that, tho I've unlocked most stats, still have the primer from bouncer stuff to get and the two from the batting mini game but i think i might leave them for post game or something.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

komaki in yakuza 1 ps2 is an evil loving bastard. trying to do the "dodge my throwing attacks" bit to get a new move and you have to somehow dodge before he even starts to throw, and then the 2nd version of that is hitting him close up!? wtih this wank camera system? i got it down to one dodge-punch left and even managed to hit him 3 times and it still didnt count. :negative:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

in yakuza ps2 have i hosed up getting amon? i got the stuff about meeting with yayoi dojima before the whole lau stuff, which in kiwami doesnt happen until the last chapter, which makes way more sense, but i figured since its a substory i'll just do it in chapter 10 after the car chase. but now i dont have the option to meet up and the florist said that the ex-dojima guys are no longer a problem? can i do it after the shinji/reina stuff or have i hosed up? i assumed you couldn't miss anything but wondering if that came in later games?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

got yakuza 3 on the way, yakuza 4 and 5 downloaded. almost finished with yakuza 2 ps2. feels good, feels right.

they should not have cut out that tower area in kiwami 2 tho, its a nice little chill spot. think after y2 ps2 ill load back into kiwami 2 and try and finish off this bouncer stuff before y3 gets here.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

yakuza zero 2 with the same chapter/switch as 0 but godfather part 2 style, you start as older kuze after getting out of jail, in/around 1993, dealing with snake triads trying to get kuze to help with setting up LT. kiryu with fake passports and then switches to younger prime kuze every 2 chapters during his rise.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

Is Kiwami supposed to be really short? Because I’ve been doing a bunch of the side stuff and I’m at 14 hours. I’m also at chapter 9 as well

i got like, 60/70 hours out of it but i was just strolling and taking my sweet time with all the side stuff. did everything tho. ps2 version i did in 20 hours.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 20, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Mine might have also gotten a bump through the Yakuza 3 remaster, so it's fresh in everyone's minds.

The new Judge Eyes demo is out now in Japan... if you're a PS+ subscriber, otherwise you're waiting until the 29th.

is there a guide to setting up a japanese psn? (and american one because why not) need these demos.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

playing yakuza 3 right now and you can turn protective amulets into rear end quills. for when kiryu falls on his rear end, he can get up quicker. his words.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i just noticed that i havent noticed any black and white frozen screen character name for any of these new characters yet in yakuza 3, did they skip doing it for this one or is this another western cut?

edit: lll spoke too soon, just got a whole bunch of them, guess they were saving them for when poo poo got real.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 25, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

theres lots of differences between 0 and k2's club mini game. found k2's to be more refined and detailed than 0's.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

holy poo poo yakuza 3. i remember early on thinking whos this rikiya dipshit and now i'm at the end of chapter 11, tears streaming down my face. godddamn! i was gonna take him to karaoke after things were settled! :negative:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

Okay the dance battle with Isobe is loving rigged. Am I going to have to use a trainer for this poo poo?

its not rigged, its just confusing. you get more points if you intentionally take more steps before you hit the mark. isobe is easy street.

^hard too is easier somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

3 and 4 are older engines, theyll just look like a chunkier version of 0, they feel the same tho. 5 is the same engine as 0 so that will 100%

playing through 3 after kiwami 2 recently and it was a tad jarring for 5 seconds but still played as good. then again i am a weirdo who doesnt get fased by that kinda stuff.