Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Sakurazuka posted:

3's a bit janky but I prefer literally everything in it to 4

☝️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The cop right outside of Serena who's still there after 4's story wraps up is such a bunch of dogshit. Forcing you to play the loving chase minigame every time you want to switch to or from Saejima is a good way to make sure that I'm not going to bother with the postgame.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Saejima's mountain kicks rear end.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Carlosologist posted:

Which QTE across the series had you hootin’ and hollerin’ when you first saw it?

For me, I’d have to go with Lost Judgment when if you mess up against the detective, he just tosses Yagami straight into the water. Died of laughter when I saw it

Main series would perhaps be in 0 against Awano or against Shibusawa to end the game

Y5 Shinada vs Sawada and honestly nothing else comes close.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

History Comes Inside! posted:

I will simply play it subbed like a regular person and sidestep the problem entirely

☝️

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
In Gaiden, do I have to do anything aside from what I've been told to unlock the weapon coliseum fights? I've cleared every silver and gold match (including both special events) but both of the presidents in the VIP lounge just keep telling me to clear every silver/gold match.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

History Comes Inside! posted:

The first president is in the lobby waiting by the door for you to finish all bronze matches, so if you haven’t done him then you haven’t done all the silver matches because he unlocks a silver match.

The next president unlocks a gold match and the last one unlocks a platinum match, and all of them count towards the “all matches” for their tier so you have to finish the last one to unlock the next.

I believe the team rumbles also count so make sure you’ve done those.

I've done every non-Platinum match I can do. According to the activity log I've done all the Bronze matches, and the only Silver remaining is the "use the weapons provided by the sponsor" Sponsored match, which I'm assuming is lightsaber lady? If special events count then I guess I'll have to wait until I can do the gambling one for Gold but I'm pretty sure I should be able to do Silver.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

welcome posted:

the only Silver remaining is the "use the weapons provided by the sponsor" Sponsored match, which I'm assuming is lightsaber lady?

Aha, I was wrong, it was in fact regular lobby guy. Hooray.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I can't believe the plot holes in the latest Yakuza game.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Last Celebration posted:

Starting with 0 made it feel somewhat weird when I did the Majima campaign in K2 and it turned out the whole Majima/Makoto thing wasn’t meant to be read as platonic affection born from empathy, and then it was just the weirdest loving poo poo that Majima had a wholeass marriage before 0.

I thought Park married snake jacket Majima.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Gaiden comes with a built-in excuse to dress Kiryu up like Solid Snake, so I did.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Wolfsheim posted:

welcome to the best part of saejima's entire section friend

Hell it's the best part of the whole game.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Sapozhnik posted:

Alright gently caress it whatever, I'm in. I'll make an exception just this once. I want to go along for the ride day 1 even though I've hardly played any of the other games in this series yet.

Owned.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Is Sujimon battling unlocked as part of the main story or do you have to find the right substory?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Waltzing Along posted:

Trying this series again. I'm in chapter 2 of Yak0 and have a couple questions:

1 - why is the save system so stupid? I go to a box to save and it always saves twice. It just seems so needlessly clunky. Is it going to be this bad througout the series?

2 - are side quests missable? do they go away if i miss them during the chapter?

3 - I just found out I can equip weapons. Do the weapons decay or can I use them forever?

E: any other advice on mechanics that aren't or are poorly explained?

1) Don't know what you mean here, unless you're on Playstation and it's doing the stupid game save + system save thing? Kiwami 1 + 2 will let you save anywhere, 3-5 go back to the phone booth system, then the rest of the series is save anywhere.
2) No side quests are missable. A small number of quest rewards may be "missable"* but there's only one critical one in 0, and it's so critical that I'll just tell you to always pick the black box.
3) Weapons decay, they have a number under them indicating how many strikes you have left. One (?) weapon has an infinity symbol instead but it's a reward for 100% completion.

*Technically any one time rewards can also be found as a prize from the gacha machines, but the prize pool is enormous so good luck finding any one given item.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Shinjobi posted:

Just gonna cut you off there. Either you're being hyperbolic or maybe don't weigh in on dub/sub if you can't handle 20 minutes of a performance.

I will accept tomatoes thrown at me in my jail cell from everyone but you. You haven't earned it.

Everybody aim for their internet connection.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I waste most of my time taking 4 swings at the nearest butterfly/moth before rotating the camera and discovering it's ten feet father away than I thought.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Mordiceius posted:

While loving around on Dondoko Island last night, I swapped the audio to English because the intercom barks from Gachapin and Mukku have no subtitles and I wanted to see what it was about.

Is there anything important on the intercom or is it just flavor? Probably not switching either way but lame that they didn't sub that stuff.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
drat, better start the island over.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Brb petting my Squirmworm.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Mordiceius posted:

I know AI talk is generally verboten, but someone did an AI version of English Kurada

Hell I'd play it.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Are there no Invested Vagabonds in IW? Bummer.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I loved Dondoko Island but it is longer than Business Management, Cabaret Club, Y2 Cabaret Club combined, which probably sucks if you're not enjoying it.

The ONE thing I wish I could skip is the drat Sujimon gift animations, 100% over it after seeing it 30 times lol.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Wrex Ruckus posted:

once you've done the first couple gyms, catching sujimon doesn't seem worth it anymore since you can't catch golds and it doesn't seem like any of the silvers can evolve into gold

Yeah that's around when I stopped bothering. Between Suji Bear and Captain Crunch I haven't needed to change my team in a while anyway.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Kiryu can kick Shakedown's rear end for free with the Dragon counter throw move. You do however need to finish Business Management first to get that.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Levelling up every job evenly for an extra +2 agility, +3 HP ftw.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm finding that farming Mr Shakedown is much faster than doing the cabaret club. He's easy to get for Majima, but Kiryu has a hard time. Is there a fighting style that is easier with Kiryu for MrS?

IF you finished Business Management you get a reward that beats him for free forever. Reward spoilers
Dragon Style: the counter throw move (RB + B / R1 + Circle) beats every single one of his attacks clean, just wait until he winds up then flip him.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I've got all gold? (whatever tier Suji Bear/Sumo are) sujimon at max level and Sujimancer is pretty underwhelming. I'm only level ~30 with job levels in the teens but all its elemental skills are outclassed by every other job, and the regular attack is pathetic.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

roomtone posted:

if this game was a parody of some kind, yeah sure, but it isn't because they are genuinely representing all of this, too

What? No they aren't. Did you play any of the games past 0?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Nanba's last drink link :3: What a pal.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I never felt I was missing anything significant by playing 0 first, usually it was a character showing up in a single substory who then later shows up in a single game. And I think both Nishki's and Saejima's* arcs benefit from playing 0 first.

* well,

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I loved the last part of Nanba's link. My problem with Chitose's is I can't continue it until later in the story and I've already been waiting 20 hours.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

seiferguy posted:

Daigo as party members.

No thanks.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
My one wish for the next RGG RPG is that trash fights get handled as if you had the super star in Super Mario RPG. No ten second animation, no results screen, just a bunch of mooks flying and a text crawl with the item/cash results. It's especially egregious in Honolulu because the streets are crawling with assholes.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

trevorreznik posted:

Let's be honest, there's only two people in the series that are hard to fight and it's Man in Black & Lau Ka Long

Dogshit king pig fucker Saito says hello.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
All the hostess stories were a cakewalk after 3. Until Gaiden.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Imagine you can make RGG make one yakuza style game (brawler or turn based style) in any other game property you’d like. What do you pick?

Kunio-kun.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

man nurse posted:

Now that the dust has settled, how’s everyone feel about 8? I kinda felt lukewarm on it. Some good improvements but ultimately kinda messy and less than the sum of its parts. The story in particular kinda left me feeling like this settles into sort of a mid entry.

Having finally gotten my last achievement after ~100 hours, it's just under the top ranked games (0/2/7/G) for me. The character interactions are just as excellent as in 7, the combat system is much improved, and it contains probably the most enjoyable set of side content in the series. With that said the mid story feels especially disappointing as a followup to 7 - I was really excited upon finishing that game to see what Kasuga + co would get up to in their next adventure, and they wound up spending their next adventure hiding in Kiryu's shadow. (full game spoilers) I am now anti-excited for 9 because Kiryu's definitely coming back despite saying goodbye for the last 4 games, right? Let the man retire in Okinawa, I will buy the Morning Glory game!

The pacing was also poo poo, usually they dial down the side stuff in later chapters in LaD but here they give you your last party member + Drink Links in Chapter 13 and you can't even finish 3 loving Walk & Talks until the finale!! That said the 30 hours spent in Chapter 6 between Dondoko and Sujimon were my own drat fault.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I didn't play Rebirth but does it still have the Remake style progression minigames (robot arms, wind tunnel, uh the synchronized switch puzzles)? My big problem with those were they were required and rewardless on top of sucking out loud. IW railroads you into Crazy Delivery and Dondoko but you're free to totally bomb them and move on if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The problem is nobody in RGG is as smart as Lu Bu.